Bobcat Defense

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bobcat Defense

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:26 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:57 pm
Does the Bobcat defense past your eye test?
The last few weeks, yes it does.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:36 pm

I watched the WSU game late last Saturday evening. Other than giving up those 2 late touchdowns, though the defense played absolutely amazing especially for all the nonsense this last week. If they play all 4 quarters of this next game the same way they played the first three against Weber……watch out!!

Punters are people too!!

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:04 am

Yes, but.....ask yourself this question. After Weber scored 15 unanswered points in the fourth quarter, what would have happened if our offense had gone three and out and given the ball back to Weber with about 4 minutes left? Fortunately, our offense bailed us out. Everyone in the stadium knew we were going to run it but Weber could not stop our smash mouth ball.

Thanks goodness. Sometimes our D looks very good. Other times it looks really bad. The ease with which Weber sailed down the field in the fourth quarter to pull within one score after we went up by 23 was unnerving.

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:05 am

aucat wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:04 am
Yes, but.....ask yourself this question. After Weber scored 15 unanswered points in the fourth quarter, what would have happened if our offense had gone three and out and given the ball back to Weber with about 4 minutes left? Fortunately, our offense bailed us out. Everyone in the stadium knew we were going to run it but Weber could not stop our smash mouth ball.

Thanks goodness. Sometimes our D looks very good. Other times it looks really bad. The ease with which Weber sailed down the field in the fourth quarter to pull within one score after we went up by 23 was unnerving.
There’s no doubt that MSU is an offense first team right now. But the defense has been playing much better as a complement. Consider— after Weber scored their early TD and sat at 10 points, their next four drives resulted in three punts and an INT.

Had the offense not been making mistakes to put itself behind the sticks, they wouldn’t have been settling for field goals, and the game would have been a laugher.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:56 am

Lord Vigo wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:05 am
aucat wrote:

There’s no doubt that MSU is an offense first team right now. But the defense has been playing much better as a complement. Consider— after Weber scored their early TD and sat at 10 points, their next four drives resulted in three punts and an INT.

Had the offense not been making mistakes to put itself behind the sticks, they wouldn’t have been settling for field goals, and the game would have been a laugher.
Hell if Stones hits that last fg, it's still a two score game. We are built this year to get a lead and hold it. That's exactly what the defense did. The offense did their part by running out the clock. Not to mention this is kind of Weber's mo in big games. They tend to have a lull in the 2nd and 3rd and come roaring back in the 4th. Cost them against Sac too.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:03 am

technoCat wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:56 am
Lord Vigo wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:05 am
aucat wrote:

Hell if Stones hits that last fg, it's still a two score game. We are built this year to get a lead and hold it. That's exactly what the defense did. The offense did their part by running out the clock. Not to mention this is kind of Weber's mo in big games. They tend to have a lull in the 2nd and 3rd and come roaring back in the 4th. Cost them against Sac too.
Which I think has as much to do with teams playing them in prevent defense as anything else.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:44 am

aucat wrote:

The defense probably would’ve figured out a way to get a stop. It’s been their m.o. all season. It’s what they do.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:51 am

MSU run defense has been very good the last four games. Around 3.5 per carry and a lot of that was Britt in garbage time. I’d say the first team is only allowing around 3.0. Held all four well below their average per carry.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:41 am

Seems to be pretty good.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:47 am

Lord Vigo wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:20 pm
It's hard to compare across conferences, and even within conference when you're talking about uneven scheduling, but of the teams remaining, I would take MSU's defense over:

Incarnate Word
Holy Cross
Sac State
William & Mary
Samford
Well you're unquestionably right on these three. No doubt remains.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:04 am

Amazing effort. A team with hurry up, short passing, take shots offense may hurt us still but we are so much better on that than early in year. Run D has taken over, so we get teams that want to be balanced out of their plan

Sports is not bigger than life

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:27 am

Danny and Cal’s ability to fly to the ball and stop runs with good tackling is really starting to shine.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:40 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:48 am
I’ve seen a few posts on how the defense struggled, is the worst left in the playoffs, etc, etc. I just wanted to bring some context to the defense.

Everything changed when Ryan Ortt came back.

Since he came back, teams have averaged 297 passing yards and 101 rushing yards, for just under 400 yards per game. His first game back, against NAU, really changes the numbers. It was 142 yards higher than the next highest game. Run defense has been fantastic since he came back. Helps when there aren’t as many missed tackles.

In regards to scoring, outside of NAU, the starters have held every team to under 20 points. That includes two playoff teams.

I completely agree that the pass defense is a weak point in the defense, although against Weber they struggled to get any pressure which doesn’t help your DB’s at all. There were a couple plays where Weber just made darn good plays (3rd and long to McPherson where he somehow made a catch between two players, and the TD pass to Christensen). That happens. Good team, good players, they make plays too. Anyways, all this to say, the defense isn’t as bad as some think. As an example, they held Weber to 83 yards less than their average per game, and 10 points under their scoring average. And that’s using the stats after they played us, so the defense statistically played better than I listed, I’m just too lazy to figure it all out.
I hate to clap myself on the back (I’m kidding. I love it), but BOY WAS I RIGHT ON THIS ONE!