Field Conditions

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Field Conditions

Post by bobcatfan123 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:54 pm

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but the field conditions have been very icy. Seems like conditions are far worse on our field than any other turf fields in cold terrain I’ve seen.

Hope it does not cause any injuries. Is there anything that can be done to help reduce the amount of ice on the field? In

Helenabobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Field Conditions

Post by Helenabobcat » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:22 pm

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:54 pm
Not sure if this has been mentioned before but the field conditions have been very icy. Seems like conditions are far worse on our field than any other turf fields in cold terrain I’ve seen.

Hope it does not cause any injuries. Is there anything that can be done to help reduce the amount of ice on the field? In
I think we should clear the sidelines as much as we clear the actual field.

BgCATfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BgCATfan » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:25 pm

Only place that’s an issue is the area that’s shaded by the west side grandstands. Saturday as we were sitting in sec 106 you could clearly see the outline of the frost in that area matches the shadow outline of the stands/boxes. Should be all gone by Friday though.

What was interesting though was the cats receivers were warming up in that area and Ravi Alston slipped making a catch and appeared to injure his shoulder pretty badly. Him and Sam Mix ran into the locker room and he was back out later and appeared to be fine.
Last edited by BgCATfan on Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:27 pm

Helenabobcat wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:22 pm
bobcatfan123 wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:54 pm

I think we should clear the sidelines as much as we clear the actual field.
Forecast for the rest of the week is low chance of precip, sunny, and near 30. That should help melt off the ice and get it in better condition.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Pecos24
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Pecos24 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:32 pm

BgCATfan wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:25 pm
Only place that’s an issue is the area that’s shaded by the west side grandstands. Saturday as we were sitting in sec 106 you could clearly see the outline of the frost in that area matches the shadow outline of the stands/boxes. Should be all gone by Friday though.
I think it was a little more wide spread than that. Both end zones were frosty, particularly the south end zone. Weber’s returner slipped and fell on the 2-3 yard line just outside the north end zone. Hopefully it’s better this week!

Bill Zander
CS '93
AKA - "F'n sorry ass"

Dmsubrew
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Dmsubrew » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:37 am

A friend told me that Saturday's field conditions made the C'mon man part of sports center. I've been trying to find it.

Bzncarolinacat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Bzncarolinacat » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:49 am

Dmsubrew wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:37 am
A friend told me that Saturday's field conditions made the C'mon man part of sports center. I've been trying to find it.
It sure did!!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:31 am

Build the IPF and then they could tarp and blow heat onto the field. Spend millions on a heating system under the field similar to Green Bay, KC,etc.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:46 am

Montana State football in DECEMBER. I love it!

We practice on it every day. I'd say knowing how to navigate an icy field is a larger advantage than temp or altitude.
Last edited by wbtfg on Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Catbacker_1
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catbacker_1 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:49 am

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:46 am
Montana State football in january. I love it!

We practice on it every day. I'd say knowing how to navigate an icy field is a larger advantage than temp or altitude.
Feels like January anyway!!

Image.
It’s spelled offense and defense

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:51 am

Catbacker_1 wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:49 am
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:46 am
Montana State football in january. I love it!

Feels like January anyway!!
Haha. Can't believe I typed that. Looking ahead I suppose. Regardless, I think the field condition is to our advantage.

DMMDCats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DMMDCats » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:38 am

The storm hit on Thursday evening. I was surprised they got it in that good of shape.

Not much can be done without spending money.

Donate now!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:42 am

Pecos24 wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:32 pm
BgCATfan wrote:
I think it was a little more wide spread than that. Both end zones were frosty, particularly the south end zone. Weber’s returner slipped and fell on the 2-3 yard line just outside the north end zone. Hopefully it’s better this week!
That slip was a Not Top 10 nominee on SportsCenter Sunday.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:24 am

Wondering how much it can improve over Saturday. Looks like today will be 33*. The rest of the week will be several degrees below freezing. Has it been sunny since the game and should it be sunny until Friday?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:32 am

RickRund wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:24 am
Wondering how much it can improve over Saturday. Looks like today will be 33*. The rest of the week will be several degrees below freezing. Has it been sunny since the game and should it be sunny until Friday?
Wed/Thurs are sunny and 27, so that should melt some of it off a bit. The sun makes a huge difference even when still below freezing.
But Friday looks like 20% chance of snow...

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:48 am

Wonder if good ol' MDT could have one of their trucks with the saline solution (sodium chloride) in it come and spray the field mid-day friday? That would certainly loosen up some of those icy spots. Don't know if that would hurt the turf at all or not. Just a thought

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:56 am

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:32 am
RickRund wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:24 am
Wed/Thurs are sunny and 27, so that should melt some of it off a bit. The sun makes a huge difference even when still below freezing.
But Friday looks like 20% chance of snow...
Good to hear. I know it is sunnier there than it is here by a bit. We have not seen much sunshine.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:04 am

BgCATfan wrote:

What was interesting though was the cats receivers were warming up in that area and Ravi Alston slipped making a catch and appeared to injure his shoulder pretty badly. Him and Sam Mix ran into the locker room and he was back out later and appeared to be fine.
While we were still in Bozeman we sat in the top row of 106, right below the walkway. Even on a warm day, it was cold. Lots of cold concrete and steel, and now probably in perpetual shadow. I was surprised how slippery the field was. Did that snow start warmer and then get colder?

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:08 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:04 am
BgCATfan wrote:

While we were still in Bozeman we sat in the top row of 106, right below the walkway. Even on a warm day, it was cold. Lots of cold concrete and steel, and now probably in perpetual shadow. I was surprised how slippery the field was. Did that snow start warmer and then get colder?
Yeah, last Thursday it was up a few degrees over freezing late afternoon and then started snowing heavily early evening combined with like 30 mph winds. The roads were a mess that night with very slick base and several inches of snow that quickly piled up on top. One of the crazier drives between Belgrade and Bozeman that night I have had honestly.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:44 pm

I think it’ll be fine. Very sunny yesterday. Overcast today. Supposed to be sunny the next two days. Only a small chance of very little snow the rest of the week I believe.

Obviously it’s still going to be wet and the cold will make it slick. But no different than any game we play in November or December.