The Cats are Better than they were Last Year

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: The Cats are Better than they were Last Year

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:53 am

seataccat wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:19 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:47 pm
aucat wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:20 pm
I still can't recover from the NAU hangover. It haunts my mind. Man our D on that day was like a field of corn stalks.

I remain hopeful that doesn't resurrect itself going forward.
The two best things to happen to MSU this year might've been the passing game by NAU and the return game by WSU.
There is a big huge difference between playing at that elevation, in a climate controlled environment on astroturff and going against a team that practices in those conditions. They got wore out. Playing outside on spinturf is a different game. Weber State had the same problem with NAU.
There were a lot of extenuating circumstances. Mellott’s inexperience with the effect of altitude on the ball, his decision to keep going to Patterson, Martinez getting into a rhythm to name a few. It was a valuable learning experience for everyone, which imho improved the team vastly.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:07 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:53 am
seataccat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
aucat wrote:
I still can't recover from the NAU hangover. It haunts my mind. Man our D on that day was like a field of corn stalks.

The two best things to happen to MSU this year might've been the passing game by NAU and the return game by WSU.
There is a big huge difference between playing at that elevation, in a climate controlled environment on astroturff and going against a team that practices in those conditions. They got wore out. Playing outside on spinturf is a different game. Weber State had the same problem with NAU.
There were a lot of extenuating circumstances. Mellott’s inexperience with the effect of altitude on the ball, his decision to keep going to Patterson, Martinez getting into a rhythm to name a few. It was a valuable learning experience for everyone, which imho improved the team vastly.
Like Cat/gris last year but without having to lose the game!

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:38 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:05 am
seataccat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
aucat wrote:

I don’t dispute what you’re saying or the science. I know our guys were feeling it. But where do you draw the line? It’s not like they just kill teams playing at home. They went 1-4 at home. So if the turf and altitude are such big factors, why can’t they capitalize?

I think we just didn’t play good. Though I’ll concede that our players were struggling for breath. And we won so I won’t beat a dead horse. But of all the factors of why that game ended so closely, I’d put altitude and turf near the bottom of the list. Just my personal opinion.
The Cats ran into a REALLY bad matchup. The defense gives up long passing plays but makes up for it by getting stops with pressure. NAU is a pass-heavy offense with a QB who excels against the blitz. Add in that MSU's best cover guy is having a Deonte Flowers style sophomore slump, and you pretty much guarantee that the defense is going to have a long day.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:48 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:38 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
seataccat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
aucat wrote:

I don’t dispute what you’re saying or the science. I know our guys were feeling it. But where do you draw the line? It’s not like they just kill teams playing at home. They went 1-4 at home. So if the turf and altitude are such big factors, why can’t they capitalize?

I think we just didn’t play good. Though I’ll concede that our players were struggling for breath. And we won so I won’t beat a dead horse. But of all the factors of why that game ended so closely, I’d put altitude and turf near the bottom of the list. Just my personal opinion.
The Cats ran into a REALLY bad matchup. The defense gives up long passing plays but makes up for it by getting stops with pressure. NAU is a pass-heavy offense with a QB who excels against the blitz. Add in that MSU's best cover guy is having a Deonte Flowers style sophomore slump, and you pretty much guarantee that the defense is going to have a long day.
No question. I think it's your points and the fact the defense was on the field way too much that was a bigger factor in our performance than elevation was.

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:24 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:48 pm
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
seataccat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
aucat wrote:

No question. I think it's your points and the fact the defense was on the field way too much that was a bigger factor in our performance than elevation was.
Those two things feed each other.

Playing at 7K ft makes it worse for your defense to be out there an inordinate amount of time. As you play more at high elevation, your play deteriorates and it becomes yet more difficult to get off the field.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:32 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
seataccat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
aucat wrote:

Tough matchup for sure. Weber got even luckier than MSU did to leave there with a win just a couple weeks ago. I was most frustrated with MSU's offense in that game. I think that's what really screwed the defense (they were going to have their work cut out for them anyway). I don't think we'll see the Cats try to force throws anymore, at least not as much as they tried in that game.

I buy that the elevation was hard on the defense, but not the idea that the elevation was affecting TM's throws. He sailed one over Snell(?) once by about 5 feet and it was about a 5 yard throw. I don't care if you're at 70,000 feet, that's just a bad throw. I just chalk that up to him not having his best day throwing it. I think Housewright has more confidence now in the run game and won't try to force those throws if TM isn't on.

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:52 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:24 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
seataccat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
aucat wrote:

Playing at 7K ft makes it worse for your defense to be out there an inordinate amount of time. As you play more at high elevation, your play deteriorates and it becomes yet more difficult to get off the field.
I just hope fans can be sane and reasonable if Weber goes cover zero ala SHSU last year and House calls some deep shots. They probably won't though.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:04 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:52 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
seataccat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
aucat wrote:

I just hope fans can be sane and reasonable if Weber goes cover zero ala SHSU last year and House calls some deep shots. They probably won't though.
The problem at NAU was not the playcalls themselves, but the frequency.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:06 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:04 pm
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
seataccat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
aucat wrote:

And the execution of said plays.... 8)

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:14 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:06 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
seataccat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
aucat wrote:

And the execution of said plays.... 8)
This. Based on the looks Weber was giving, MSU liked the 1 on 1 50\50 matchups with Willie and Ravi based on what they had seen on film. It's a calculated risk factored into the game plan and it would like were were willing to take those even if we only hit around 50%. Unfortunately we hit 1 of 11. Honestly if that same thing comes up against Weber I bet we would hit at least 50% of those, Tommy seems way more dialed in now. All that said, I don't think we'll need to do that as I don't think Weber can stop our run game.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Post by 083190 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:19 pm

McCutcheon was phenomenal at going up and getting it last year. Nowhere near that type of ability exists on this year's roster. Last year's 50/50 balls are this year's 20/80 balls. The receivers this year seem to play better in space, but their biggest contribution comes from blocking in the run game.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:41 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
seataccat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
aucat wrote:

Vigen said those were reads.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:35 pm

But coaches need to coach him up that just because you have 1 on 1 on outside you don't have to throw that every time. We had a 17 pt lead after 1 and literally threw the ball more than ran the whole second quarter. We take a few shots but still stick to our run game we are up 28 at half and that game is over

Sports is not bigger than life

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:48 pm

tetoncat wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:35 pm
But coaches need to coach him up that just because you have 1 on 1 on outside you don't have to throw that every time. We had a 17 pt lead after 1 and literally threw the ball more than ran the whole second quarter. We take a few shots but still stick to our run game we are up 28 at half and that game is over
Pretty sure they do. That’s why they’re reads. They coach them to read the defense and make a decision. They don’t tell QBs that they must throw it.

toM StUber

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:16 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:41 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
seataccat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
aucat wrote:

Vigen said those were reads.
Yeah, I get that, but they still needed to call him off those reads. As they went on to do in the 2nd half.

GeauxCats41
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GeauxCats41 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:07 pm

Does last years team beat WSU twice?