Garza suspended.

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Garza suspended.

Post by CelticCat » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:55 am

GoCats18 wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:47 pm
Really sucks, you just never know what people are dealing with or struggle with. He clearly made a bad choice, but still a better choice than being a Griz coach.
:thumbdown:

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

RockyBearCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RockyBearCat » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:52 am

GoCats18 wrote:
Really sucks, you just never know what people are dealing with or struggle with. He clearly made a bad choice, but still a better choice than being a Griz coach.
Very poor attempt at a joke. Driving drunk, especially after a history of 2 DUIs, is not just a bad choice but a horrible choice. No comparison to taking a job at your rival football team.

Just FYI == With this being his 2nd in 10 years and/or 3rd overall (he is both), he is required by the state of Montana to enter treatment.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:06 pm

Vigen does bear some responsibility, but I'm sure Leon and maybe even Waded were involved in signing off on that hire given WMG's history. A lot of us thought it was a risky hire when he came on board, so there's no way Vigen just made this move without clearing it with some people above him. I remember thinking this is the kind of program that could be good for a guy like this. Like when Randy Moss had some baggage and the Patriots were a good fit for them because it was a very professional locker room that wasn't going to tolerate his BS. I think if he wasn't under contract he would have been let go already, but MSU can't get into a wrongful termination situation. I'd be in favor of buying out the remainder of his contract and parting ways, but it's not my money. I'll say this though: If he's back next year I'd strongly consider pulling some of my support from MSU football. I'd still be a fan, but I'm not positive I'd keep my season tickets and I'm pretty positive I wouldn't be a Quarterback Club member. I can forgive the hire because I believe in second (and third apparently) chances. Given what I know now, I don't know that I could forgive another chance.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:32 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:06 pm
Vigen does bear some responsibility, but I'm sure Leon and maybe even Waded were involved in signing off on that hire given WMG's history. A lot of us thought it was a risky hire when he came on board, so there's no way Vigen just made this move without clearing it with some people above him. I remember thinking this is the kind of program that could be good for a guy like this. Like when Randy Moss had some baggage and the Patriots were a good fit for them because it was a very professional locker room that wasn't going to tolerate his BS. I think if he wasn't under contract he would have been let go already, but MSU can't get into a wrongful termination situation. I'd be in favor of buying out the remainder of his contract and parting ways, but it's not my money. I'll say this though: If he's back next year I'd strongly consider pulling some of my support from MSU football. I'd still be a fan, but I'm not positive I'd keep my season tickets and I'm pretty positive I wouldn't be a Quarterback Club member. I can forgive the hire because I believe in second (and third apparently) chances. Given what I know now, I don't know that I could forgive another chance.
I feel confident that MSU is handling this in the proper way. I hope he realizes that he has no future here after this and he resigns. I hope he takes advantage of any help to overcome this addiction and he gets his life turned around. He has put himself on a long, extremely difficult road.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:45 pm

Don’t forget that Garza is entitled to due process. He still hasn’t been convicted. From a legal perspective, MSU may be better off to let his contract expire in a couple to weeks versus firing him now.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:13 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:45 pm
Don’t forget that Garza is entitled to due process. He still hasn’t been convicted. From a legal perspective, MSU may be better off to let his contract expire in a couple to weeks versus firing him now.
This. These were my exact thoughts. And although everything reported so far as well as his prior convictions point to a conviction, he still has the right to go through the legal process.

Hating the griz since 02.

asstastic
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by asstastic » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:30 pm

RockyBearCat wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:52 am
GoCats18 wrote:
Very poor attempt at a joke. Driving drunk, especially after a history of 2 DUIs, is not just a bad choice but a horrible choice. No comparison to taking a job at your rival football team.

Just FYI == With this being his 2nd in 10 years and/or 3rd overall (he is both), he is required by the state of Montana to enter treatment.
Come on warrior, that’s a funny joke making light of a bad choice.

Punchin Griz fans in the mouth since 2002 [-o<

#RTD

19-4-0

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:30 pm

CodyCat wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:13 pm
Cataholic wrote:
This. These were my exact thoughts. And although everything reported so far as well as his prior convictions point to a conviction, he still has the right to go through the legal process.
As far as how the school responds, I don’t disagree. But as fans, we know enough that we can talk about it.

We know he was driving drunk. We know he was going 20 mph over the speed limit. Nobody refuses a breathalyzer or blood test when they’re sober. Heck, he was drunk enough that he threw up when he got to the hospital. That’s inexcusable behavior from a coach, especially one with his background. There is absolutely no defending it, and even if they managed to find some procedural wrongdoing (shouldn’t have been pulled over for example) it doesn’t change that we know he was driving drunk.

Quite frankly, I have a hard time with him still being employed. I very much hope the reports of him being at practice are not true. Vigen gave him a chance he probably shouldn’t have, and it’s clearly time to let Garza go.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:35 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:30 pm
CodyCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
As far as how the school responds, I don’t disagree. But as fans, we know enough that we can talk about it.

We know he was driving drunk. We know he was going 20 mph over the speed limit. Nobody refuses a breathalyzer or blood test when they’re sober. Heck, he was drunk enough that he threw up when he got to the hospital. That’s inexcusable behavior from a coach, especially one with his background. There is absolutely no defending it, and even if they managed to find some procedural wrongdoing (shouldn’t have been pulled over for example) it doesn’t change that we know he was driving drunk.

Quite frankly, I have a hard time with him still being employed. I very much hope the reports of him being at practice are not true. Vigen gave him a chance he probably shouldn’t have, and it’s clearly time to let Garza go.
100% agree!

Hating the griz since 02.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:55 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
CodyCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

Yep completely agree. Which is why I was surprised people were defending him when the story broke like the guy isn't allowed to make a mistake.

Before we even knew the details, it didn't matter in my eyes. Unless you don't trust Vigen, which I do 100%, then no matter what he did to warrant a suspension is unacceptable. His selfish actions screwed over his fellow staff and all of our players. I don't know how anyone would be ok with that. And now that we know what transpired, there is zero reason for him to be a part of our program anymore. Seems harsh, but that's just the reality in my eyes.

All that said, I'm completely in support of them doing everything by the book as they navigate this ****** situation they've been placed in.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:56 pm

CodyCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Yeah, MSU needs to be smart and deliberate about how they handle this. People on a message board can call for an immediate termination for cause, but that opens up MSU to potential legal action of it turns out that Coach Garza is cleared of the charges after the legal process plays out.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:57 pm

I am also curious as to why he is just suspended for the game but still at practice. You can fully suspend him "pending the results of a hearing" or whatever but it's kind of a middle ground that sort of screams putting winning above all else.

At least put out a statement as to the reasoning for letting him be at practice but not the game.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:05 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:57 pm
I am also curious as to why he is just suspended for the game but still at practice. You can fully suspend him "pending the results of a hearing" or whatever but it's kind of a middle ground that sort of screams putting winning above all else.

At least put out a statement as to the reasoning for letting him be at practice but not the game.
Has anyone else confirmed this to be the case? Hearing conflicting stories here. I was told he was at practice a few days last week. Likely while they were sorting everything out. Was told he has not been since Wednesday or Thursday last week. But honestly I have no idea. Just weird there seems to be two different stories.

If he is in fact at practice, I don't like that. But it's just one guys opinion.

I'd be curious if Colter or someone else can verify things on the practice front.

Dmsubrew
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Dmsubrew » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:06 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:32 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:06 pm
I feel confident that MSU is handling this in the proper way. I hope he realizes that he has no future here after this and he resigns. I hope he takes advantage of any help to overcome this addiction and he gets his life turned around. He has put himself on a long, extremely difficult road.
Multiple players and coaches have made really bad decisions on this team since I've been a fan (a long period of time). People are individuals and individuals can, independently of team, university, etc, make really bad decisions. MT State University and the team have learned and moved on each time. Learned being the key. I have no doubt they'll learn from this and move on. I haven't sold my season tickets once, but I have had confidence in the university making the right decision each time. And, they have

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:11 pm

I am 100% comfortable with how Vigen deals with the situation. Everything I've seen and heard from Vigen shows that he is a very competent CEO and makes decisions in the best interest of his team.

I've hired second chancers and seen successes and failures. I've had second chances and am eternally grateful for them and have done my best to take advantage of them.

Stuff happens. You deal with it. I'm confident MSU is dealing with it in a manner that's best for the university and the football program.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

UpperBlue
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by UpperBlue » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:30 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
We know he was driving drunk. We know he was going 20 mph over the speed limit. Nobody refuses a breathalyzer or blood test when they’re sober. Heck, he was drunk enough that he threw up when he got to the hospital.
We know he is accused of driving drunk. We know he is accused of going 20 mph over the speed limit. If I were retired without much else to do with my time I could see myself refusing a breathalyzer and blood test even though I'm sober just out of principle.

With that said I think with his past (two prior DUI convictions, along with other problems) MSU should not tolerate him even being in a position to face this accusation. I understand firing him may be risky, but they should have suspended him indefinitely as soon as they learned of the accusations. That means no games going forward even after beating Weber, and no being at practice. If it's true he is at practice but just not the one game, MSU is not taking this as seriously as I think they should. I will say though, those of us crying about how serious DUIs are might be in the minority in this state. Montana is a very drunk state with large distances we need to travel to do our drinking and a long history of being very tolerant of drinking in the car. When did it become illegal to drink and drive statewide? 2005-ish I'd guess.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:39 pm

rivercat wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:11 pm
I am 100% comfortable with how Vigen deals with the situation. Everything I've seen and heard from Vigen shows that he is a very competent CEO and makes decisions in the best interest of his team.

I've hired second chancers and seen successes and failures. I've had second chances and am eternally grateful for them and have done my best to take advantage of them.

Stuff happens. You deal with it. I'm confident MSU is dealing with it in a manner that's best for the university and the football program.
Out of all the comments I’ve read here, this one makes the most sense to me. I’ve given and received second chances on numerous occasions. We might not know what Vigen does every minute of the day, but to this point he has not disappointed us. He’s very well spoken and deliberate in his speech. I trust this process will be dealt with exactly how it should and we’ll all be just fine with the result. Let it play out.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:17 pm

Cataholic wrote:
I totally agree with his right to due process, however after watching the last two years in this country, I'm quite certain it only exists for some people depending on your beliefs about this country and where you want it to go! For example: Twitter, Facebook, & Google have met regularly (up to weekly) with the Dept of Homeland Security and the FBI, for a minimum of 3 years now, to censor free speech, and yet those of you that only listen to the corporate news (including Fox) never hear about that. Seems to me that due process can only exists in a free society where people are allowed to be informed and have dissenting opinions as out constitution guarantees.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:48 pm

codecat wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:17 pm
Cataholic wrote:
I totally agree with his right to due process, however after watching the last two years in this country, I'm quite certain it only exists for some people depending on your beliefs about this country and where you want it to go! For example: Twitter, Facebook, & Google have met regularly (up to weekly) with the Dept of Homeland Security and the FBI, for a minimum of 3 years now, to censor free speech, and yet those of you that only listen to the corporate news (including Fox) never hear about that. Seems to me that due process can only exists in a free society where people are allowed to be informed and have dissenting opinions as out constitution guarantees.
Well I wasn't expecting a thread about MSU's DC getting a DUI to be linked to a Facebook/DHS/FBI collusion but here we are.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:01 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:48 pm
codecat wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:17 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Well I wasn't expecting a thread about MSU's DC getting a DUI to be linked to a Facebook/DHS/FBI collusion but here we are.