Defense

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Defense

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:52 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:56 pm
The Griz are patiently waiting for that Coach Rosey suspension any time now...
:lol:

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:56 am

Long Time Cat wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:52 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:38 am
MSU is the No. 1 ranked run defense in the BSC In conference games. 1st in ypg, 1st in TDs allowed, 0.1 behind 1st in ypc.
Do you get tired of being an eternal optimist? :D You must annoy the heck out of some people! :wink: Why can't you just let people complain in peace? :lol:
Actually I’m more of a victim of reverse psychology. 🥴 But I do prefer pointing out the good stuff. 😇

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:16 pm

What are peoples thoughts on this weekends D looking different under Daly than Garza? I think its a safe assumption that scheme wont change at all. However, what formations within the scheme could be different. Thoughts?

Hating the griz since 02.

Dmsubrew
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Dmsubrew » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:48 pm

CodyCat wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:16 pm
What are peoples thoughts on this weekends D looking different under Daly than Garza? I think its a safe assumption that scheme wont change at all. However, what formations within the scheme could be different. Thoughts?
The D has been thrown a challenge. Coaching change the first playoff game. The question for the D is, do you rise up in adversity or do you fall down? The way this team has been built for a long time now is, you rise up. I think they'll rise up. Coach Daly was already on the rise. I think we have a good combination going into Saturday

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:06 pm

CodyCat wrote:
I see this as the defense looking the same 95% of the time. Only thing that changes perhaps will be specific down and distance calls. OCs/DCs have tendencies to narrow their calls in specific down and distance situations and based on those tendencies opposing play callers will plays that counter those tendencies well. Pros and Cons to this - Pro: with Daly that making the calls the plays call may change a bit which could catch Weber off guard. Con: because the calls may change this could lead to better offensive production for Weber in those situations. It's a flip of a coin really. Players need to stick to their assignments and not try to make big plays.

rfischer94
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by rfischer94 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:19 pm

Team10 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:06 pm
CodyCat wrote:
I see this as the defense looking the same 95% of the time. Only thing that changes perhaps will be specific down and distance calls. OCs/DCs have tendencies to narrow their calls in specific down and distance situations and based on those tendencies opposing play callers will plays that counter those tendencies well. Pros and Cons to this - Pro: with Daly that making the calls the plays call may change a bit which could catch Weber off guard. Con: because the calls may change this could lead to better offensive production for Weber in those situations. It's a flip of a coin really. Players need to stick to their assignments and not try to make big plays.
How much of the defense giving up explosive plays would you say comes back to players trying to do too much, versus communication errors or other factors?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:20 pm

CodyCat wrote:
Vigen has said he’s been happy with how the defense has performed the past two weeks, so my guess is Daly will do what’s been working of late. MSU isn’t going to make any drastic changes at this point in the season.

I’m neither going to overly praise Daly or blame him based on how the defense does in this game. No one should. They defense has gotten to where it is after a long process.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:23 pm

My guess is that Coach Daly will have our defense play a little more aggressive on pass coverage. I have great faith that he's ready while at the same time expect a few hiccups like getting the calls in quick enough. Is there a chain reaction of other coach's responsibilities shifting a little as well? The steady way that coach Vigen handles his business will help this whole thing go off as well as can be expected.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:28 pm

Team10 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:06 pm
CodyCat wrote:
Good post. I think Vigen will manage this situation appropriately, and if that means over riding Daly on certain calls, so be it. Honestly, I don't think any of us know how often he already over rides calls that Garza makes, or Housewright for that matter. I think the players will continue to improve in their assignments and fundamentals, so it does come down to the particular play calls on D. I could see Bobby just imitating the calls he's seen Garza make in most situations, with maybe a few exceptions where he thinks he has an idea that he things will work better than what Garza would have called. I like your estimate of this only being 5% different, if that makes sense.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:48 pm

I don't think we really miss a beat. My biggest thing is we are missing a body on the sideline or booth for game management.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:32 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:48 pm
I don't think we really miss a beat. My biggest thing is we are missing a body on the sideline or booth for game management.
Next man up. We'll be fine.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:35 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:32 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Oh I totally agree, but there really isn't a next man until we can get another person hired. I'm sure duties can be split and everyone shoulders a little more.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:39 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:35 pm
Montanabob wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Oh I totally agree, but there really isn't a next man until we can get another person hired. I'm sure duties can be split and everyone shoulders a little more.
Yeah it's not quite like losing a player where there's just a guy standing there basically doing nothing and waiting to get in on the action. I doubt there's a defensive coach just sitting around waiting for his turn. That's why I had asked about using analysts in a game where they previously weren't allowed to be involved in a game.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:41 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:39 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Yeah it's not quite like losing a player where there's just a guy standing there basically doing nothing and waiting to get in on the action. I doubt there's a defensive coach just sitting around waiting for his turn. That's why I had asked about using analysts in a game where they previously weren't allowed to be involved in a game.
I know the ncaaa limits how many coaches you can have on staff. If a staff member is suspended, can you move an analyst into that spot, or would that put us over the allowable number of coaches?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:36 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Another reason why they probably won’t do anything outside of what they usually do.

toM StUber

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:08 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:36 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Another reason why they probably won’t do anything outside of what they usually do.
Daly gets his chance to prove he deserves the position.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back