11/26 First round playoffs

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Re: 11/26 First round playoffs

Post by RickRund » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:02 pm

Yes, the announcers were terrible. I think they ready themselves for the game by checking the teams press releases.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

nanacat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by nanacat » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:47 pm

RickRund wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:49 pm
nanacat wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:04 am
84CatGrad wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:02 am
It won't be so easy next week stopping Luepke.
I thought I read he was hurt and questionable
Just a chance for bobbie to be able to say they didn't have prep for Luepke in the game plan..
Haha right!!!

HookedOnGriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HookedOnGriz » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:29 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:06 pm
HookedOnGriz wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:48 am
This was one of my favorite reads on a fan board, well ever. Thanks for all the amazing hot takes made over here 😂😂😂😂
The griz narrowly avoided what would've been one of the most embarrassing home playoff losses ever for them, and one of the biggest season collapses ever, and you come to BN to laugh it up as if you guys accomplished something special last night :lol:
You’ll have to show me where I said anything about the Griz accomplishing something or being impressive. You drew that conclusion yourself. I just laughed at how wrong so many people were on their “expert” takes here.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:35 pm

HookedOnGriz wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:29 pm
91catAlum wrote:
HookedOnGriz wrote:
This was one of my favorite reads on a fan board, well ever. Thanks for all the amazing hot takes made over here 😂😂😂😂
The griz narrowly avoided what would've been one of the most embarrassing home playoff losses ever for them, and one of the biggest season collapses ever, and you come to BN to laugh it up as if you guys accomplished something special last night :lol:
You’ll have to show me where I said anything about the Griz accomplishing something or being impressive. You drew that conclusion yourself. I just laughed at how wrong so many people were on their “expert” takes here.
Did Peyton end up banning you for the mama joke or not?

Just curious why you’re here again after being gone for so long. Your absence was…nice.

nanacat

Post by nanacat » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:39 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:45 am
wbtfg wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:58 am
Kudos to UM players for not giving up after being down 21 in a half empty stadium with your fans booing you.

Depending on your viewpoint, that was either a hell of a comeback or a hell of a choke job.

Best of luck to UM next week in Fargo.
And they finally got the monkey off their back and beat a team with a winning record! On the 26th of November….
Well Bobby did say after the Cat-Griz beat down that they were going to take a page out of their rival's playbook and make a strong run through playoffs.

It was a good comeback, can't argue that.

Team10

Post by Team10 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:41 pm

nanacat wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:39 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
Kudos to UM players for not giving up after being down 21 in a half empty stadium with your fans booing you.

Depending on your viewpoint, that was either a hell of a comeback or a hell of a choke job.

And they finally got the monkey off their back and beat a team with a winning record! On the 26th of November….
Well Bobby did say after the Cat-Griz beat down that they were going to take a page out of their rival's playbook and make a strong run through playoffs.

They’ll most certainly take a page out but it won’t be the deep playoff run. It’s gonna be how the Cats can’t seem to beat ndsu. Not a something Cat fans want to acknowledge but it’s the truth at this point. ndsu will run power all day on the gris defense. I’d be will to say they won’t throw 10 passes on the day.

HookedOnGriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HookedOnGriz » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:27 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:35 pm
HookedOnGriz wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
HookedOnGriz wrote:

Just curious why you’re here again after being gone for so long. Your absence was…nice.
Says the guy PMing me asking me all about what inside intel I had on the PED situation here. Cute.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:34 pm

HookedOnGriz wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:27 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
HookedOnGriz wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
HookedOnGriz wrote:

Says the guy PMing me asking me all about what inside intel I had on the PED situation here. Cute.
Yeah, I did ask. You got it half right, so I’ll give you half credit. Congrats!

HookedOnGriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HookedOnGriz » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:36 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:34 pm
HookedOnGriz wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
HookedOnGriz wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
HookedOnGriz wrote:

Oh no, I got it 100% correct. The other guy transferred out of your program. Or was asked to leave, never heard for sure.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:51 pm

HookedOnGriz wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:36 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:34 pm
HookedOnGriz wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
HookedOnGriz wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
HookedOnGriz wrote:

Oh no, I got it 100% correct. The other guy transferred out of your program. Or was asked to leave, never heard for sure.
It’s easy to be right when you don’t give details.

;)

Anyways, I’m done with this here. Good luck against NDSU. I don’t expect it will be close.

nanacat

Post by nanacat » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:55 pm

Team10 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:41 pm
nanacat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

They’ll most certainly take a page out but it won’t be the deep playoff run. It’s gonna be how the Cats can’t seem to beat ndsu. Not a something Cat fans want to acknowledge but it’s the truth at this point. ndsu will run power all day on the gris defense. I’d be will to say they won’t throw 10 passes on the day.
I also doubt Johnson will make it through that whole game. He'll either get hurt, or will be replaced.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:39 pm

nanacat wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:55 pm
Team10 wrote:
nanacat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

I also doubt Johnson will make it through that whole game. He'll either get hurt, or will be replaced.
NDSU will punt twice, maybe.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:23 am

nanacat wrote:
Team10 wrote:
nanacat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

This is my take too. Gris will hang in until Bison sack Johnson a couple of times. When you can hear something snap... they'll carry him off. Britt will come in and have a couple of good runs until he throws his first interception...then the rout will be on!

2024 Resume dominance

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:01 am

It's worth pointing out, again, that after beating a hapless OVC team the gris are back to thinking they invented football and are on schedule to win the Super Bowl. I would actually envy them for this if it wasn't so pathetic.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:15 am

Helcat72 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:23 am
nanacat wrote:
Team10 wrote:
nanacat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

This is my take too. Gris will hang in until Bison sack Johnson a couple of times. When you can hear something snap... they'll carry him off. Britt will come in and have a couple of good runs until he throws his first interception...then the rout will be on!
Actually think the Griz will do better with Britt in that with Johson.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:03 am

justafan wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:45 am
nanacat wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:38 am
Baby Hauck is a joke and everyone knows it. Oh well, it is what it is.
The gris switched the momentum but I truly do not think they're the team to beat the bizon.
If ever there was a time when they are beatable it is this year.
Not against the Griz though. Sorry but if you thought an inability to be gap sound hurt them against the Cats, NDSU's run game will crush any defense that isn't disciplined. The Griz can be as physical as they want but if they play 3-3-5 against NDSU, that is an awful matchup for UM. Gubner and the interior linebackers will have to have monster games.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:21 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:03 am
justafan wrote:
nanacat wrote:
The gris switched the momentum but I truly do not think they're the team to beat the bizon.
Not against the Griz though. Sorry but if you thought an inability to be gap sound hurt them against the Cats, NDSU's run game will crush any defense that isn't disciplined. The Griz can be as physical as they want but if they play 3-3-5 against NDSU, that is an awful matchup for UM. Gubner and the interior linebackers will have to have monster games.
You would certainly know more than me Vim. But the gris 3-3-5 has looked pretty good against the traditional power running teams this year. Could it be our outside RPO was working so efficiently that day that Tommy exposed thier aggressive stunting style and lack of covering the gap assignments? It seems to me that NDSU has been vulnerable for a couple games this year and looked beatable. I think s huge factor will be the health of Patrick O'Connell. My gut feeling says the gris will hang with them.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:31 am

seataccat wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:21 am
VimSince03 wrote:
justafan wrote:
nanacat wrote:
You would certainly know more than me Vim. But the gris 3-3-5 has looked pretty good against the traditional power running teams this year. Could it be our outside RPO was working so efficiently that day that Tommy exposed thier aggressive stunting style and lack of covering the gap assignments? It seems to me that NDSU has been vulnerable for a couple games this year and looked beatable. I think s huge factor will be the health of Patrick O'Connell. My gut feeling says the gris will hang with them.
NDSU is far from a traditional power running team. I would advise to hop on ESPN+ and watch a few of their games. They use motion, RPO concepts mixed with tradional schemes. They absolutely have a +1 run game with Cam Miller at the helm. Remember, this a program that developed 73 ways to run power per Carson Wentz.

How do the Griz hang with them? Attack them vertically and on the edges on offense. Their secondary is good but have given up big plays this year. If you want to get in a fist fight with them, wrong team to try that so UM has to get creative in the run game. Get Bergen and Flowers plenty of touches on quick passes (enough with the screens just throw them the damn ball) or reverses. Defensively, it's going to be a challenge for UM based on their performance against us. The safeties will have to be great for them to win because runs will be getting past the second level.

If the Griz actually played to their strengths offensively, I'd say they can stay in this game because of their playmakers on offense. But if they get behind by two scores in this one, good luck coming back on them as I've only seen SDSU pull that off.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:33 am

seataccat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
justafan wrote:
nanacat wrote:
Our zone blocking schemes (both inside and outside) are based on the same scheme that NDSU runs. We do a little more with shifts and motion but it is the same offense.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:23 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:33 am
seataccat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
justafan wrote:
nanacat wrote:
Our zone blocking schemes (both inside and outside) are based on the same scheme that NDSU runs. We do a little more with shifts and motion but it is the same offense.
Yeah for some reason a narrative developed that the Bison just get back there and hand it off in the I-formation every play. They have crushed teams for over a decade because their run game is diverse and can get after you from multiple sets and schemes and their blockers are technicians (with the occasional hold). The Bison get in trouble offensively when they either get too cute (trying too many things on offense) or get too prideful (want to get in a fist fight with teams that can match their physicality). However, come playoff time they usually have it dialed in.

As for the transfer portal stuff, last time I checked its starting receivers (Sproles and Hart), a starting corner (Sigle), and a reserve RB (Gonnella). Sproles actually redshirted this year so he could enter the transfer portal with a new team (he ended up committing to JMU). Hart and Sigle are the biggest losses but Sproles hasn't played all year. They are also deep at WR and they throw the ball about as much as MSU does. My point? There transfers haven't hurt their strengths.