QB #1

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Re: QB #1

Post by tetoncat » Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:57 pm

Guess you missed the sarcasm

Sports is not bigger than life

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:36 pm

PapaG wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:50 pm
tetoncat wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:00 pm
Take away the TD's and FG-s our defense gave up and we pitched a shutout
Take away Corey Smith’s opening KO return TD against the Gris and the Bobcats have lost 17 in a row.
Wrong year (2003). And it technically it would have been a tie, as the cats won that game 27-20. Now, if you'd have said Junior Adams TD reception, then you'd have been technically correct.

Yep, I'm that guy...😐

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:48 am

:lol:
Last edited by coochorama42 on Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:48 am

DMMDCats wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:59 pm
PapaG wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:44 pm
Also, I think but am not sure that Tommy’s RS is still intact since he gets the Covid bonus year from 2020. Not saying it should happen, but isn’t it a possibility since he only played in 4 games this season so far?

Meaning he’d be a 4th-year sophomore next year and could conceivably get an undergrad and masters while on scholarship. Throwing that out there as a hypothetical so don’t have a meltdown.
I believe this should be a consideration, it is what I thought after seeing Tua's injury.

Hey, let the brain heal. I mean fully heal. Don't pull a dolphin just to win...

Purely from a health stand point, do what is best for the human. If he's ready, go, if not, sit. We could do without for two weeks, then evaluate.
I am also in favor of sitting TM as long as it takes to let his brain fully heal, RS or no.

I was reflecting on why this topic was so aggravating to me and it all comes back to the idea that football historically has not done enough to protect players (often from themselves) when they have head injuries. The worst thing these young men can do is come back too early, but I imagine there are many factors and pressures that have made them do just that. Some of these might obviously include the desire to play and a general competitive nature, but others often include a fear of letting others down and a fear of losing their job/missing their chance.

The discussion of moving on from TM at QB - because the next man up had a great game when he was dealing with a head injury - is repulsive to me on every level. If Patrick Mahomes were allowed to leave KC and play for the Cats the rest of this year, I'd be team Tommy 100%. Some things are more important than winning, and this is one of them.

So my hope is that he takes as much time as he needs - a week, a month, or a year - knowing the team is in great hands until he returns to the same role that he left

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:40 am

coochorama42 wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:48 am
DMMDCats wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Also, I think but am not sure that Tommy’s RS is still intact since he gets the Covid bonus year from 2020. Not saying it should happen, but isn’t it a possibility since he only played in 4 games this season so far?

Meaning he’d be a 4th-year sophomore next year and could conceivably get an undergrad and masters while on scholarship. Throwing that out there as a hypothetical so don’t have a meltdown.
I believe this should be a consideration, it is what I thought after seeing Tua's injury.

Purely from a health stand point, do what is best for the human. If he's ready, go, if not, sit. We could do without for two weeks, then evaluate.
I am also in favor of sitting TM as long as it takes to let his brain fully heal, RS or no.

I was reflecting on why this topic was so aggravating to me and it all comes back to the idea that football historically has not done enough to protect players (often from themselves) when they have head injuries. The worst thing these young men can do is come back too early, but I imagine there are many factors and pressures that have made them do just that. Some of these might obviously include the desire to play and a general competitive nature, but others often include a fear of letting others down and a fear of losing their job/missing their chance.

The discussion of moving on from TM at QB - because the next man up had a great game when he was dealing with a head injury - is repulsive to me on every level. If Patrick Mahomes were allowed to leave KC and play for the Cats the rest of this year, I'd be team Tommy 100%. Some things are more important than winning, and this is one of them.

So my hope is that he takes as much time as he needs - a week, a month, or a year - knowing the team is in great hands until he returns to the same role that he left
Good post. For a whole lot of reasons, its really bad form for a guy to lose the starting spot becasues he's appropriately addressing an injury. Should never happen.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:46 am

onceacat wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:40 am
coochorama42 wrote:
DMMDCats wrote:
PapaG wrote:

Good post. For a whole lot of reasons, its really bad form for a guy to lose the starting spot becasues he's appropriately addressing an injury. Should never happen.
Patriot fans would disagree.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:17 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:46 am
onceacat wrote:
coochorama42 wrote:
DMMDCats wrote:
PapaG wrote:

Pro sports are different. Tommy & 99% of the Cat football team are never playing pro so the risk of long term damage isn't remotely the same.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:32 am

coochorama42 wrote:
DMMDCats wrote:
PapaG wrote:

I agree in what you’re saying as a valid viewpoint, and perhaps the one that makes the most sense for stability. My thought is if Sean continues playing at an All-American level, it’s tough to take him off of the field regardless of the circumstances of how he ended up starting. It’s a tough decision either way, but the positive is both guys have shown to be elite FCS QBs so there isn’t a “wrong” decision for Coach V to make.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:27 am

PapaG wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:32 am
coochorama42 wrote:
DMMDCats wrote:
PapaG wrote:

I agree in what you’re saying as a valid viewpoint, and perhaps the one that makes the most sense for stability. My thought is if Sean continues playing at an All-American level, it’s tough to take him off of the field regardless of the circumstances of how he ended up starting. It’s a tough decision either way, but the positive is both guys have shown to be elite FCS QBs so there isn’t a “wrong” decision for Coach V to make.
Yeah I think in this case the only "demotion" would be less of the snaps for TM than before he got hurt, but I believe MSU would still go with playing both guys regularly. That definitely makes that decision easier. SC has significant injury history and I'd imagine understands the need to limit his reps somewhat, even if he's clearly the best QB the rest of the season. I do think TM is going to find a groove though after trying to force things a little bit early in the season.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:30 am

onceacat wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:17 am
BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:46 am
onceacat wrote:
coochorama42 wrote:
DMMDCats wrote:
PapaG wrote:

Pro sports are different. Tommy & 99% of the Cat football team are never playing pro so the risk of long term damage isn't remotely the same.
I know, I was just pointing out it's not always the case. And its not always black and white either, at any level. We are going to have a 2 QB system when Tommy is healthy no doubt. But depending on how long that is and how Chambers looks you can't just go by the "you shouldn't lose your job to injury" bit.

If Chambers starts the next 3 games and we beat Weber and he plays well, why should Tommy be the starter automatically once he's healthy again? Chambers would then have wins against 2 of the 5 best teams in the conference and a top 10 win, plus technically a win at Eastern. Would you not have him starting I'm that case?

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:06 am

onceacat wrote:
coochorama42 wrote:
DMMDCats wrote:
PapaG wrote:

Wondering if Wally Pipp would agree?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:54 am

RickRund wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:06 am
onceacat wrote:
coochorama42 wrote:
DMMDCats wrote:
PapaG wrote:

Tommy comparatively is a much better player than Pipp was when Gehrig replaced him because Wally got injured. We as Bobcat fans are lucky to have two elite QB1s and the staff will figure it out.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:11 pm

As cold as it sounds I don't buy the argument that nobody should lose their starting job over an injury or properly addressing an injury (not sure that needed differentiation but it was brought up). Injuries are a part of sports and everyone who plays sports knows what they are signing up for. And a coaches job is to win football games. If a guy gets hurt and the next guy up outperforms him and makes your team better, you'd be foolish to switch that up due to some sort of loyalty to an injured guy. Cold take but that's D1 sports. Now I don't think that will happen because I do believe Tommy adds value to the team and it's not like he'd be a bench warmer in any scenario in which he's fully healthy but a flip-flop of where they were in game 1 I don't think is out of the question.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:30 pm

Practice. That’s what practices are for. When Tommy is 100% able to practice with no restrictions, then the QB1 thing will sort itself out.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:34 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:11 pm
As cold as it sounds I don't buy the argument that nobody should lose their starting job over an injury or properly addressing an injury (not sure that needed differentiation but it was brought up). Injuries are a part of sports and everyone who plays sports knows what they are signing up for. And a coaches job is to win football games. If a guy gets hurt and the next guy up outperforms him and makes your team better, you'd be foolish to switch that up due to some sort of loyalty to an injured guy. Cold take but that's D1 sports. Now I don't think that will happen because I do believe Tommy adds value to the team and it's not like he'd be a bench warmer in any scenario in which he's fully healthy but a flip-flop of where they were in game 1 I don't think is out of the question.
Agree, and I find this whole debate a bit silly because IMO..... they are both getting snaps at QB if they're both healthy, period. That was the plan going into the first game and it will be the plan going into the last game in Frisco. 8)

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:01 pm

PapaG wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:54 am
RickRund wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:06 am
onceacat wrote:
coochorama42 wrote:
DMMDCats wrote:
PapaG wrote:

Tommy comparatively is a much better player than Pipp was when Gehrig replaced him because Wally got injured. We as Bobcat fans are lucky to have two elite QB1s and the staff will figure it out.
And you wonder why Miller Huggins didn't see Gehrig's talent?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:32 pm

Split reps before the injury. Split reps after the injury. I promise Sean doesn't care who's name is announced on the screen as the starter before the game. Lots of season left. Need to stay healthy and keep eyes on the prize. Everything else is noise.

Bobcat1boz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Bobcat1boz » Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:12 pm

coochorama42 wrote:
DMMDCats wrote:
PapaG wrote:

I agree completely

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:39 am

This is not difficult. When they're both healthy you play them both. Who starts is not that important. Chambers injured 4 times in 4 years at Wyoming, Mellot injured twice in two years. Bryce Young out for a while, Kansas QB who has been lighting it up for KU just got a shoulder injury and looks to be out for a while. We are blessed to have 2 very good QB's. Vigen knew that 10 months ago when he brought Chambers here. In this day and age of running QB's you need two. To me it's like depth at RB, gotta have it. They have slightly different skill sets, take advantage of that. Vigen has made our offense very dynamic! Having two good qb's and using them both isn't dumb, it's one more tool in an offensive toolbelt that's starting to look really, really good.

GO CATS!

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:19 pm

Chambers looking in full control again.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast