2Deep - ISU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Marana CAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

2Deep - ISU

Post by Marana CAT » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:38 am

Has this been released yet?

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

jgrilley406
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: 2Deep - ISU

Post by jgrilley406 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:15 am

It’s on the team website…two things that stand out Ortt is listed as starter at safety and Sumner is not on the two deep. Hoping with Ortt back it’ll give our secondary a boost and hopefully he’ll help cut down on some of the long runs and throws that the cats have been gashed on almost every game. Glad to see that they’re not rushing Sumner back, we need our RB depth at/close to full strength as they can get for the later end of the schedule and playoffs, and Elliot has done really well filling in so far. Also, hopefully we can see more of Coon, he had some impressive runs in the few attempts he had last week.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:26 am

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Marana CAT

Post by Marana CAT » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:16 am

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:26 am
Thanks!

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

ThoughtUKnew14

Post by ThoughtUKnew14 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:51 am

Some of these two deep offensive weapons need to see some more action when we are up big! How else are they suppose to be ready when its their time next year?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:55 am

ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:51 am
Some of these two deep offensive weapons need to see some more action when we are up big! How else are they suppose to be ready when its their time next year?
Seems like almost everyone they’ve brought up has been ready. The double rep practices are serving MSU well in that regard.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

ThoughtUKnew14

Post by ThoughtUKnew14 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:00 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:55 am
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
Seems like almost everyone they’ve brought up has been ready. The double rep practices are serving MSU well in that regard.
2 out of the 3 WR starters are transfers so MSU didn’t do anything to get them ready. WP didn’t consistently start until his Junior year I believe (could be wrong). So they just expect 2 deep players like Taco & Anaya to be ready next year with limited game reps? You can’t replicate game reps by double rep in practice! Again, I’m talking when we are up 20+ pts.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:06 am

ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:00 am
TomCat88 wrote:
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
2 out of the 3 WR starters are transfers so MSU didn’t do anything to get them ready. WP didn’t consistently start until his Junior year I believe (could be wrong). So they just expect 2 deep players like Taco & Anaya to be ready next year with limited game reps? You can’t replicate game reps by double rep in practice! Again, I’m talking when we are up 20+ pts.
Guys like Taco and Anaya got plenty of reps in the Morehead State game which was MSU's only real blowout so far. The coaches aren't dumb, they'll get them in the games when they can. The game last week was in doubt well into the 4th quarter when MSU had that long FG drive that bled off much of the remaining time on the clock. Same with the McNeese game, MSU only led by two scores until their late TD to go up 40-17.
Last edited by MSU01 on Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:07 am

ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
I hope the game goes as we hope and a lot of players that haven't seen significant playing time since Morehead get a lot of reps. It sure seems that the MSU coaching staff is really good about building depth with meaningful reps especially on the DL.

However, did you catch in the UCD post-game interview when Vigen was asked about why he didn't put Sean Austin in for the last series....(I think there was <4 minutes to play and we were up by 17) and Coach V responded like.......'that wasn't even something to consider'. That was surprising because that situation to me seemed like the perfect time to let the 3rd string QB get some snaps. I'm quite certain that all Chambers did on that last drive was hand off to Elliot or Coon. If Chambers gets hurt in the ISU game (not trying to jinx anything) then Austin would have to take his initial snaps in a more stressful situation for sure. I think it was a missed opportunity, especially when TM appears that he won't be available for at least this week. I hope Sean Austin has the opportunity to get some snaps this week....but not because of an injury :D . GO CATS!!!
Last edited by The MICKSTER on Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:22 am

ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
So right now Taco is basically the #4 WR and gets plenty of snaps for a true freshman even when the game is fully competitive. He had one of the big blocks to allow Sean to walk into the endzone on that 65 yard run in the 3rd quarter. I get what you're saying but pretty sure the coaching staff isn't too worried about Taco picking up the offense or being able to play live game reps next year as he's already played in every game this year at WR. Taco needs to keep getting stronger. That's about it.

As far as Anaya, seems to me they want to redshirt him and will only play him in blowouts or until he meets his 4 games whichever comes first. So I'd expect to see him in any remaining games if they're well in hand in the second half.

I'd actually like to see more Aidan Garrigan to sub out Ravi because he's a player we definitely will need next year on the outside. He's already a good blocker and special teams player and he flashed a ton as a WR during spring ball.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

GeauxCats41

Post by GeauxCats41 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:30 am

This one and the best should be penciled in as games to see the young guys more than usual. Would be great to see some or more by the 3rd. I really want to see us run it up and get some credit but who cares. Let’s go into the end of October/ November healthy.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:38 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:22 am
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
So right now Taco is basically the #4 WR and gets plenty of snaps for a true freshman even when the game is fully competitive. He had one of the big blocks to allow Sean to walk into the endzone on that 65 yard run in the 3rd quarter. I get what you're saying but pretty sure the coaching staff isn't too worried about Taco picking up the offense or being able to play live game reps next year as he's already played in every game this year at WR. Taco needs to keep getting stronger. That's about it.

As far as Anaya, seems to me they want to redshirt him and will only play him in blowouts or until he meets his 4 games whichever comes first. So I'd expect to see him in any remaining games if they're well in hand in the second half.

I'd actually like to see more Aidan Garrigan to sub out Ravi because he's a player we definitely will need next year on the outside. He's already a good blocker and special teams player and he flashed a ton as a WR during spring ball.
I would also add that we'll definitely bring in at least one WR transfer next offseason as well. We won't be going into 2023 with a room full of freshman and sophomores with less than 20 career receptions between them. Our ability to attract guys from the portal means we don't have to rush our high school recruits onto the field.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:57 am

They also have said in press conferences that they rotate the 3 main receivers between positions, and have some te's they can split out.

Sports is not bigger than life

ThoughtUKnew14

Post by ThoughtUKnew14 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:01 am

coloradocat wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:38 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:22 am
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:

I would also add that we'll definitely bring in at least one WR transfer next offseason as well. We won't be going into 2023 with a room full of freshman and sophomores with less than 20 career receptions between them. Our ability to attract guys from the portal means we don't have to rush our high school recruits onto the field.
All good points. My guess is they’ll bring in more than one which will lead to two or three leaving and thriving elsewhere. Hate to see it but thats todays climate.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:47 am

The MICKSTER wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:07 am
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
I hope the game goes as we hope and a lot of players that haven't seen significant playing time since Morehead get a lot of reps. It sure seems that the MSU coaching staff is really good about building depth with meaningful reps especially on the DL.

However, did you catch in the UCD post-game interview when Vigen was asked about why he didn't put Sean Austin in for the last series....(I think there was <4 minutes to play and we were up by 17) and Coach V responded like.......'that wasn't even something to consider'. That was surprising because that situation to me seemed like the perfect time to let the 3rd string QB get some snaps. I'm quite certain that all Chambers did on that last drive was hand off to Elliot or Coon. If Chambers gets hurt in the ISU game (not trying to jinx anything) then Austin would have to take his initial snaps in a more stressful situation for sure. I think it was a missed opportunity, especially when TM appears that he won't be available for at least this week. I hope Sean Austin has the opportunity to get some snaps this week....but not because of an injury :D . GO CATS!!!
Thank you! I was 100% in the same boat. I guess it speaks to how dead serious Vigen is about taking zero chances with securing that win, but if you can't count on your backup QB to come in and close out the end of a game with a 17 point lead.....

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:20 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:07 am
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:

Hauck brought his backup in vs ISU up 28-13 (yeah, yeah, I know that’s not 17 points) with 5:01 to play. I bet he was crapping his pants when the Bengals lined up for that onside kick. I bet he never does that again.

You never bring in your backup in that situation. Next thing you know he drops a snap and it’s an instant TD going the other way. Then the starter comes back and you’re just another disastrous turnover away from being in Hauck’s situation. Not that the starter might not screw it up the same way, but it’s also the optics. Sort of like baseball when a manager replaces a righty when a lefty is coming to the plate. The manager doesn’t want to answer for it.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Bobcat1boz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Bobcat1boz » Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:09 pm

I'd like to see Garrett Coon get more touches. he looks like he might have a bright future.
I'd love to see MSU go up by forty and cruise with some backups.
Good to see Tommy is going to sit out another week. Let that brain heal.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:30 pm

I'd expect If Chambers sits out the last quarter and we're ahead he might even go wildcat the rest of the way. I don't think he feels Austin is ready to face real bullets!

2024 Resume dominance

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:58 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:30 pm
I'd expect If Chambers sits out the last quarter and we're ahead he might even go wildcat the rest of the way. I don't think he feels Austin is ready to face real bullets!
Austin played the second half of the 4th quarter against Morehead State. So...he has taken snaps at least.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:08 pm

Bobcat1boz wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:09 pm
I'd like to see Garrett Coon get more touches. he looks like he might have a bright future.
I'd love to see MSU go up by forty and cruise with some backups.
Good to see Tommy is going to sit out another week. Let that brain heal.
Garrett Coon is good.

toM StUber