Willie P Appreciation Thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Willie P Appreciation Thread

Post by Common Cat » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:45 pm

Willie P seems to be defining what it means to be a Bobcat. Works hard, gives everything he has to the program, leads by example, is an outstanding young man. Here's to you Willie!

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: Willie P Appreciation Thread

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:09 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

GeauxCats41
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GeauxCats41 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:50 am

Such a cool final drive video! “Willie P” stock is on the up this year! Time to go buy yours!

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:26 am

Love this kid!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:19 pm

That's really cool. You can see he's a high-emotion guy when he plays and his heart really shows in that video too.

On another note, Ashley Washburn has improved a lot over the first couple of these videos. She used to say "absolutely" or something similar every time a player would finish a statement, then she'd start into her next question. She looked polished, professional and confident in this one. She's doing a great job. Between her and Alex Eschelman I feel like the Bobcats are getting some really good features on players these days.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:49 pm

Vigen's comments on Willie P.

The little smirk during the question was funny. I'm sure Vigen was picturing the same thing we all were.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:46 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:49 pm

The little smirk during the question was funny. I'm sure Vigen was picturing the same thing we all were.
Boy...if you want to know how Vigen feels about the current safety play of Rhedi Short and Kendric Bailey, go to 12:25 in this video when he starts talking about getting Rylan back.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:56 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:46 pm
coloradocat wrote:

Boy...if you want to know how Vigen feels about the current safety play of Rhedi Short and Kendric Bailey, go to 12:25 in this video when he starts talking about getting Rylan back.
I think that's the harshest comment I've heard Vigen say about anybody "They played okay". And not like good okay, but like... just passable okay. :lol:

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:01 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:56 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

I think that's the harshest comment I've heard Vigen say about anybody "They played okay". And not like good okay, but like... just passable okay. :lol:
Yeah he rarely says something without at least pointing out a good thing or two, and he didn't even bother to throw something nice in there this time. He was still nicer than most would have been. The safety play has really been less than ok.

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:16 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:01 pm
CelticCat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

Yeah he rarely says something without at least pointing out a good thing or two, and he didn't even bother to throw something nice in there this time. He was still nicer than most would have been. The safety play has really been less than ok.
Among the many things I like about coach Vigen is he can be honest without being belligerent.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:25 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

He has said multiple times that Tommy and Sean are clearly (or something to that affect) our two best runners right now. Not in this interview but before and after the EWU game.

Back to Willie, I like how he threw out maturity to subtly explain how he shut down the in-game back flips.

One thing I noticed after Saturday's game was that while the team was singing the fight song in the endzone a few of the players were dancing around and not participating in the traditional celebration. It was the usual suspects (I assume everyone can guess who they were). Did this kind of thing take place last year too? It seems like something the 2021 captains/leaders would have put a stop to but maybe they've always done this and it's not a big deal. It was mostly seniors/guys who weren't in the leadership group in the past. I don't really care, just something I noticed for the first time. I'm sure Vigen doesn't care either or they wouldn't still be doing in after the fifth game of the season. The beginning of the response on Willie in the press conference just reminded me.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

ThoughtUKnew14
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ThoughtUKnew14 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:36 pm

Thats awesome, thanks for sharing. Love this kids attitude!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:54 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:16 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

Among the many things I like about coach Vigen is he can be honest without being belligerent.
I lack that trait.

HOWEVAH, I was right (per usual) about the safeties.

1catz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 1catz » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:59 pm

A family member went to HS with him in Tacoma. Said he was a real stand up guy. He has been fun to watch!

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:45 am

CelticCat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

Maybe it's just me but he seemed to give Manning a pass and I really feel like he's taken a step back this year. Maybe it's because of injury but he just seems to be out of position a lot. Or I guess it could be because others are out of position....

Edit: Go Willie btw!!!

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:13 pm

technoCat wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:45 am
CelticCat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

Maybe it's just me but he seemed to give Manning a pass and I really feel like he's taken a step back this year. Maybe it's because of injury but he just seems to be out of position a lot. Or I guess it could be because others are out of position....

Manning seems to have gone from playing "opportunistic safety" to "real free safety" and hasn't made the transition well. He's not a very good tackler when he actually tries and just doesn't seem very aggressive. When our last line of defense is tentative and uninterested in making form tackles it results in big plays.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:13 pm

technoCat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

Manning hasn't played as well this year, can't argue that but let's be honest the secondary is being tested more because the front 4 can't generate pressure like they did last year. And Manning was playing next to Tre Webb who nearly made the Falcons practice squad. This year he is playing next to, well the two guys Vigen basically just called out. No real excuse for Manning he should be better, but perhaps he isn't as good as he looked last year because he was a nice piece in a well-oiled machine, instead of having to be a bigger piece in machine that is still working out kinks. I think Ortt will help Manning actually, but it isn't going to be a magic fix for Manning or the secondary. But Short and Bailey need to be depth players, not starters.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:57 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:13 pm
technoCat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

Manning hasn't played as well this year, can't argue that but let's be honest the secondary is being tested more because the front 4 can't generate pressure like they did last year. And Manning was playing next to Tre Webb who nearly made the Falcons practice squad. This year he is playing next to, well the two guys Vigen basically just called out. No real excuse for Manning he should be better, but perhaps he isn't as good as he looked last year because he was a nice piece in a well-oiled machine, instead of having to be a bigger piece in machine that is still working out kinks. I think Ortt will help Manning actually, but it isn't going to be a magic fix for Manning or the secondary. But Short and Bailey need to be depth players, not starters.
Manning has flat out whiffed on tackles more this year than last year.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:26 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:57 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:13 pm
technoCat wrote:
CelticCat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

Manning has flat out whiffed on tackles more this year than last year.
I agree, but what Celtic is saying makes sense, it looks like there is more running around, being slightly out of position, chasing players around in the secondary this season. A lot of that is due to lack of pass rush, and perhaps having to cover players that should have been covered, or slowed down, by other players. All that said, yes I agree if it's one on one and you're whiffing consistently, that is a bit of a problem. I also want to point out though, OSU, EWU, and UCD all have damn good, fast, shifty receivers and RBs so there's that. Not saying we've already faced all the good skill players we'll see but I'm confident this defense is going to continue to improve game after game.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!