The Cats are Better than they were Last Year

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Re: The Cats are Better than they were Last Year

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:03 am

SonomaCat wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:59 am
onceacat wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:34 pm
GeauxCats41 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:22 pm
I like this take. Defense is fine, we’ve been playing without 2 starters, we’ve also played 3 top offenses, 3 games in a row, 2 on the road. The first two games we had a new coordinator and we’re still missing two starters. Davis offense is really good between the 20’s, it’s hard to stop the slant while keeping honest with the run and deep balls. Same thing happened to WSU (who should have lost) and SDSU who stopped a 2 pt conversion from tying it up.
EWOO & Davis are #6 & #7 in the BSC in points scored per game & #9 & #6 in yards per play.

These are not offensive juggernauts.
Their respective SOSs thus far skew those stats quite a bit.
who woke up BAC? welcome back.

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:22 am

ND0479 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:31 am
The defense just looks flat and apathetic at times. The 1-2 explosive opponent TD’s every game shows they’re not 100% dialed in for every play. Listening to Garza, I get the impression he’s very relaxed and stays cool no matter the pressure or situation…in other words, I think he lacks intensity. I could be way off but that’s what I get from him and the defensive lapses back it up.
I would respectfully argue that you're way off.

They've given up explosives because they have players on the field who can't do their jobs in the running game. I would name names, but that ticks people off. Suffice it so say, listen to Vigen's comments on the safeties who have been playing and Ortt's return.

Also consider that in each game that they allow those explosive runs, they have invariably cleaned it up. Garza knows what he's doing. But they need to get the liabilities off the field.

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:27 am

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:42 am
onceacat wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:19 am
GeauxCats41 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:02 am
onceacat wrote:
GeauxCats41 wrote:
I like this take. Defense is fine, we’ve been playing without 2 starters, we’ve also played 3 top offenses, 3 games in a row, 2 on the road. The first two games we had a new coordinator and we’re still missing two starters. Davis offense is really good between the 20’s, it’s hard to stop the slant while keeping honest with the run and deep balls. Same thing happened to WSU (who should have lost) and SDSU who stopped a 2 pt conversion from tying it up.
EWOO & Davis are #6 & #7 in the BSC in points scored per game & #9 & #6 in yards per play.

Davis has played probably the hardest FCS schedule to date (3 top 8 teams and an FBS team). EWU has played how many FBS teams plus us? While you are looking at numbers, they aren’t telling the full truth. I think a little football knowledge needs to prevail here. Those are two good offenses.
Maybe. I'm not saying either one is bad. Gilliam is an All American level RB & EWU is EWU. Regardless, neither of those offenses is firing on all cylinders right now.

Just that most neutral parties aren't looking at the Bobcat D & shaking in their boots. As of now, the D is putting up pretty terrible numbers & we have yet to play the best offensive teams on the regular season schedule.
Which teams do we have yet to play, that have better offenses than Oregon State, EWU, and UC Davis?
None. They only have two quality opponents left on the schedule, Weber and UM, and both are defense first teams.

EW's numbers are depressed because they've only played four games and two of them were @Oregon and @Florida. In their two FCS games, they scored 36 and 35 points.

Similarly, UCD has had to play @Cal, @SDSU, and Vs WEB. They've only faced one defense that isn't strong, USD, and they scared 43.

By the end of the season, both teams will rank highly in offensive categories.

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:30 am

The Cats and Griz have basically inverse schedules the rest of the way until Cat/Griz.

Cats have gotten their tougher matchups out of the way for the most part and now have four relatively easy games and one tough opponent:

ISU, @UNC, WEB, @NAU, and @CP

The Griz have played the easiest schedule I can imagine to this point and now have four games that are relatively tough and one easier opponent:

UI, @SAC, @WEB, CP, EW

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:57 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:22 am
ND0479 wrote:
The defense just looks flat and apathetic at times. The 1-2 explosive opponent TD’s every game shows they’re not 100% dialed in for every play. Listening to Garza, I get the impression he’s very relaxed and stays cool no matter the pressure or situation…in other words, I think he lacks intensity. I could be way off but that’s what I get from him and the defensive lapses back it up.

They've given up explosives because they have players on the field who can't do their jobs in the running game. I would name names, but that ticks people off. Suffice it so say, listen to Vigen's comments on the safeties who have been playing and Ortt's return.

Also consider that in each game that they allow those explosive runs, they have invariably cleaned it up. Garza knows what he's doing. But they need to get the liabilities off the field.
Yeah, I’m not saying he doesn’t know why he’s doing. I’m saying to me, he projects being a super laid back coach, whereas Banks was someone just begging for someone to test him. I think that can bleed over into your players and there are certainly times when it seems like certain players are giving less than maximum effort. I don’t go to practices or sit in locker rooms, so I very well could be way off.

GeauxCats41
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GeauxCats41 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:20 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:57 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:22 am
ND0479 wrote:

Yeah, I’m not saying he doesn’t know why he’s doing. I’m saying to me, he projects being a super laid back coach, whereas Banks was someone just begging for someone to test him. I think that can bleed over into your players and there are certainly times when it seems like certain players are giving less than maximum effort. I don’t go to practices or sit in locker rooms, so I very well could be way off.
I can see why to the naked eye you want someone who’s “begging to be tested” they are energetic in interviews and pump the crowd up. but I don’t think that creates a conducive environment. You want to be approachable, I see players talking things over with Willie Mack every drive. If he was chomping at their heels, I think 1. They’d play nervous 2. Wouldn’t approach the DC to get feedback. Also, it’s fun to see someone blow up in an interview every so often, however, imagine seeing that 24/7. I’d get sick of it that’s for sure. The team is full of alphas already. If you need someone to fire you up to run out of that tunnel at Bobcat Stadium you aren’t going to get fired up at all.

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:27 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:57 pm
Huh... I have not noticed that.

But it's a pretty subjective thing so I guess that just is what it is.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:56 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:27 am
91catAlum wrote:
onceacat wrote:
GeauxCats41 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
GeauxCats41 wrote:

Davis has played probably the hardest FCS schedule to date (3 top 8 teams and an FBS team). EWU has played how many FBS teams plus us? While you are looking at numbers, they aren’t telling the full truth. I think a little football knowledge needs to prevail here. Those are two good offenses.
Maybe. I'm not saying either one is bad. Gilliam is an All American level RB & EWU is EWU. Regardless, neither of those offenses is firing on all cylinders right now.

Just that most neutral parties aren't looking at the Bobcat D & shaking in their boots. As of now, the D is putting up pretty terrible numbers & we have yet to play the best offensive teams on the regular season schedule.
Which teams do we have yet to play, that have better offenses than Oregon State, EWU, and UC Davis?
None. They only have two quality opponents left on the schedule, Weber and UM, and both are defense first teams.

EW's numbers are depressed because they've only played four games and two of them were @Oregon and @Florida. In their two FCS games, they scored 36 and 35 points.

Similarly, UCD has had to play @Cal, @SDSU, and Vs WEB. They've only faced one defense that isn't strong, USD, and they scared 43.

Weber is better offensively (by a than EWU & Davis. UM probably is, but their stats may be inflated by their weak schedule. Poly might be...

None of them are as good as OSU.

The season is a little less than half over. EWUs & Davis numbers are going to improve slightly, but not enough to move them from the lower middle of the BSC to the top 4.

Dollars to donuts says that neither is in the top 4 for Yards per play or Points per game (or points per drive, which would be more important)

Neither EWU nor Davis is bad offensively. But they aren't good either. They are average Big Sky offenses.

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:57 pm

onceacat wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:56 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
onceacat wrote:
GeauxCats41 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
GeauxCats41 wrote:

Weber is better offensively (by a than EWU & Davis. UM probably is, but their stats may be inflated by their weak schedule. Poly might be...

The season is a little less than half over. EWUs & Davis numbers are going to improve slightly, but not enough to move them from the lower middle of the BSC to the top 4.

Dollars to donuts says that neither is in the top 4 for Yards per play or Points per game (or points per drive, which would be more important)

Neither EWU nor Davis is bad offensively. But they aren't good either. They are average Big Sky offenses.
I think you’re wrong on both counts. Neither Weber nor Montana have good offenses. Both teams’ scoring is driven largely by their defense and special teams.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:32 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:57 pm
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
onceacat wrote:
GeauxCats41 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
GeauxCats41 wrote:

I think you’re wrong on both counts. Neither Weber nor Montana have good offenses. Both teams’ scoring is driven largely by their defense and special teams.
If that were true it should show in in yards per play. Maybe given UMs weak schedule & EWUs brutal schedule theres some minor shift between now & the end of the seasons, but with 5 of 12 weeks in the books, its not likely that we see much shift down the stretch.

(Note: To be fair, is MSUs offensive performance attributable to a good offense? Or to the fact that we've faced a passel of weak defenses? Seems like if the argument applies to every other team, it should apply to the Cats...for the record, I think that the Cats offense is pretty damn good and the Madden numbers aren't really due to playing a set of bad defenses-including OSU-but maybe MSUs offense isn't all its cracked up to be?)

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:46 pm

UCD and OSU are good defenses.

Sports is not bigger than life

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:01 pm

This seems to have turned into a discussion about the defense and whether it's any good. I think we are pretty good and getting better, and about to get better. I don't think ortt is the best safety in the league but we've gotten absolutely garbage play at safety. Danny U has struggled at times early on but he's getting better every week in my opinion, and i think ortt as a more physical presence, better box player, better tackler will help to fix some of the issues we're having against rpo and help shore up some holes in the zone. I'm of the opinion that our interior players are top end big sky players but i don't think we're getting consistent enough rush off the end from anyone other than grebe. We'll have to be willing to allow some grace as these guys develop, and thankfully we're a better offensive team and special teams outfit to help compensate for our young, getting-better defense. But again i agree with Vigo in that i think by the end of November this outfit will be more complete than last year's outfit at the same point.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:18 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:03 am
SonomaCat wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:59 am
onceacat wrote:
GeauxCats41 wrote:

Their respective SOSs thus far skew those stats quite a bit.
who woke up BAC? welcome back.
:shock:

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:20 pm

onceacat wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:32 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:57 pm
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
onceacat wrote:
GeauxCats41 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
GeauxCats41 wrote:

If that were true it should show in in yards per play. Maybe given UMs weak schedule & EWUs brutal schedule theres some minor shift between now & the end of the seasons, but with 5 of 12 weeks in the books, its not likely that we see much shift down the stretch.

(Note: To be fair, is MSUs offensive performance attributable to a good offense? Or to the fact that we've faced a passel of weak defenses? Seems like if the argument applies to every other team, it should apply to the Cats...for the record, I think that the Cats offense is pretty damn good and the Madden numbers aren't really due to playing a set of bad defenses-including OSU-but maybe MSUs offense isn't all its cracked up to be?)
I’m telling you what I think will be true on balance based on what I see in these teams when I watch them. That is, I’m not really convinced by current statistics.

It’s not just that the bulk of the season is still ahead, it’s that the overwhelming majority of conference play is yet to come. A big chunk of the games that have been played are not informative— playing up, playing down… doesn’t really tell you much. Take EW for instance. They’ve had one legit opponent that wasn’t way above them or beneath them (us). What am I supposed to derive from that, statistically?

So much contention is that EW and UCD are both good offenses and I believe the rest of the season will bear that out. Weber and Montana are mediocre.

95bcfb
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 95bcfb » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:30 pm

I think that we are comparable to last year right now but not as good as we were in the playoffs. This time last year our offense was not good and was getting worse - until we changed QB's. Our D was much better last year and it isn't even close. With that said we are playing better defensively every game. Will we improve enough - I don't know. One think that I will say about this defense is they do seem to make plays when they count and that is something that doesn't show up on the stats. I am excited to see how we do and am optimistic about how we continue to progress. Well coached teams improve as the year progresses and that definitely seems to be the case with the Cats. We have the same record as we did this time last year and that is the comparison that is most important. The states can give you some indication of areas that need improvemnt but they don't tell the complete picture.

Marana CAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Marana CAT » Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:37 pm

Onceacat I'm curious to know what makes you think Weber at this point in the season has a better Offense then EWU and UC Davis? Not picking a fight just curious..

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:56 pm

Weber was lucky to get a win at UCD. 3 missed FG and I think they went for two once and didn't make it. 10 or 11 points left on field in 5 point win. Maybe they play different if had gotten behind. UCD can move ball, just struggle in red zone

Sports is not bigger than life

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:54 am

I continue to be convinced that MSU is better than the 2021 team. This last week's game, despite being close at home, confirmed what I've believed for a while now. Strange circumstances made that game close, but if you look at the performances of the two teams behind the final score, it was clear that MSU is significantly better than Weber, and the Wildcats may very well be the second best team in the BSC and are almost certainly a top 5 FCS team right now.

What they are doing despite heavy personnel losses is outstanding. At a minimum, I still believe they will get Chambers, Ifanse, Sain, and Ortt back this season in time for the Brawl and the playoffs.

And the crazy thing about it is that this team is really young! They have more underclassmen in starting roles and key spots than they do upper classmen. Of the guys currently starting, they will only lose 6 players. Of the guys currently starting, only TWO will be seniors next season.

I think we are on the front end of a dynasty and maybe don't realize it quite yet. The Griz are going to get shellacked in Bozeman this year. There's not a doubt in my mind.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:37 am

Lord Vigo wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:54 am
I continue to be convinced that MSU is better than the 2021 team. This last week's game, despite being close at home, confirmed what I've believed for a while now. Strange circumstances made that game close, but if you look at the performances of the two teams behind the final score, it was clear that MSU is significantly better than Weber, and the Wildcats may very well be the second best team in the BSC and are almost certainly a top 5 FCS team right now.

What they are doing despite heavy personnel losses is outstanding. At a minimum, I still believe they will get Chambers, Ifanse, Sain, and Ortt back this season in time for the Brawl and the playoffs.

And the crazy thing about it is that this team is really young! They have more underclassmen in starting roles and key spots than they do upper classmen. Of the guys currently starting, they will only lose 6 players. Of the guys currently starting, only TWO will be seniors next season.

I think we are on the front end of a dynasty and maybe don't realize it quite yet. The Griz are going to get shellacked in Bozeman this year. There's not a doubt in my mind.
Love this! =D^

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:44 am

It’s pretty crazy how much depth this team has. As they Continue to have big injuries, and they don’t skip a beat. Just plug and play with the next man up. Super impressive.

FTG- GO CATS GO!