QB #1

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: QB #1

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:24 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:04 pm
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:23 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:49 pm
Tommy earned the starting position by throwing a team on his back and willing us to Frisco. I'm good with how it's been so far, and frankly I'd like to see more double wildcat sets with Ifanse in the backfield.
Gimmick offense won’t win a Natty!
Yeah! Can you imagine some team playing two QB’s and winning a national championship? Crazy!
:lol:

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:57 pm

ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:07 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Tommy earned the starting position by throwing a team on his back and willing us to Frisco. I'm good with how it's been so far, and frankly I'd like to see more double wildcat sets with Ifanse in the backfield.
Yeah! Can you imagine some team playing two QB’s and winning a national championship? Crazy!
Playing 2 QB’s like we have in the past is not Gimmick IMO. I was referring to the “double wildcat sets” comment.
It’s nonsensical. A running QB isn’t the wildcat. And nothing is a gimmick. Get your weapons the ball however you can. Some of you overthink this stuff.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:26 pm

ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:07 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Playing 2 QB’s like we have in the past is not Gimmick IMO. I was referring to the “double wildcat sets” comment.
Okay Belichick. Thanks for not contributing, you can show yourself out.

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:51 am

tetoncat wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:27 pm
That is fair, but Chambers has also gotten carries in the earlier games that would have been Mellott's. Especially the designed runs versus read option
Again, correct.

Count me as disappointed? flabbergasted? confused? by those willing to move on from TM as QB1.

I was very vocal that I thought starting Mellott for the first time in the playoffs was a terrible idea. I was horribly wrong. The young man showed incredible maturity and talent in leading MSU.

MSU was incredibly fortunate that Sean Chambers chose MSU. He is a battering ram of a runner and obviously has been a starting QB before. He has taken the pressure off of TM by handling much of the short distance QB play. He also had one historically good game as a starter against a solid Big Sky opponent.

It was one game. Chambers had phenomenal passing games at Wyoming as well. He also had games where he completed far less than 50% of his passes, had as many INT as TD, was sacked multiple times, and rushed for fewer than 50 yards. These games were against some pretty mediocre Mountain West teams as well.

I hope the game has slowed down for Chambers. He is always going to have a role running the ball on this team. He also is a threat to throw the ball, making him incredibly dangerous in a modified Wildcat role. Housewright has also shown that he can use the presence of both to open up plays that don't exist in most offense; I'm pretty sure Mellot ran a run-pass option against Morehead State after taking the handoff from Chambers.

If making NFL/FCS analogies that don't include superstar names, Mellott is Daniel Jones. Chambers is Taysom Hill. Both are amazing assets for an FCS offense. Both belong on the field. In fact, the offense is better with both on the field than just one.

Only one is a starting QB if you look at bodies of work instead of one good game (Chambers) vs. Davis and one bad game (Mellott) at Oregon State. I hope Mellott takes as much time as he needs to recover from his concussion. That should be his priority. Chambers is more than talented enough to keep this team winning until TM is ready to start again.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:35 am

coochorama42 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:51 am
tetoncat wrote:
That is fair, but Chambers has also gotten carries in the earlier games that would have been Mellott's. Especially the designed runs versus read option
Again, correct.

Count me as disappointed? flabbergasted? confused? by those willing to move on from TM as QB1.

I was very vocal that I thought starting Mellott for the first time in the playoffs was a terrible idea. I was horribly wrong. The young man showed incredible maturity and talent in leading MSU.

MSU was incredibly fortunate that Sean Chambers chose MSU. He is a battering ram of a runner and obviously has been a starting QB before. He has taken the pressure off of TM by handling much of the short distance QB play. He also had one historically good game as a starter against a solid Big Sky opponent.

It was one game. Chambers had phenomenal passing games at Wyoming as well. He also had games where he completed far less than 50% of his passes, had as many INT as TD, was sacked multiple times, and rushed for fewer than 50 yards. These games were against some pretty mediocre Mountain West teams as well.

I hope the game has slowed down for Chambers. He is always going to have a role running the ball on this team. He also is a threat to throw the ball, making him incredibly dangerous in a modified Wildcat role. Housewright has also shown that he can use the presence of both to open up plays that don't exist in most offense; I'm pretty sure Mellot ran a run-pass option against Morehead State after taking the handoff from Chambers.

If making NFL/FCS analogies that don't include superstar names, Mellott is Daniel Jones. Chambers is Taysom Hill. Both are amazing assets for an FCS offense. Both belong on the field. In fact, the offense is better with both on the field than just one.

Only one is a starting QB if you look at bodies of work instead of one good game (Chambers) vs. Davis and one bad game (Mellott) at Oregon State. I hope Mellott takes as much time as he needs to recover from his concussion. That should be his priority. Chambers is more than talented enough to keep this team winning until TM is ready to start again.
I don't disagree with much of this sentiment. However, i do think there were things that were executed in the pass game against Davis that we have not seen from Tommy, in the playoffs or so far this year. Climbing the pocket, throwing to secondary reads, accuracy down the middle of the field. I'm sure he can continue to develop those skills but it was pretty clear that with starter preparation reps chambers is a more advanced quarterback than Tommy at this point. I think the conversation is really rather moot anyway, as the way we use our qbs we're going to need both of them to complete 14,15 games like we want to.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:53 am

coochorama42 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:51 am
tetoncat wrote:
Again, correct.

Well said.

Chambers is too talented to sit the bench the entire game, working him in to take the load off Tommy or playing side by side is fine by me. I've been a vocal critic of Housewright and not a huge fan of his offense/play calling, But I'll give him the credit he deserves, he's done a great job this year. I'm very interested to see what he does when we have a 3 headed monster defenses have to figure out.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:00 am

The level of competition at Wyoming is a lot better than at MSU, and Wyoming is an below-average team in terms of talent in that conference.

Chambers now gets to play against lesser athletes on defense and with top-notch FCS talent on offense. That should be taken into consideration IMO when evaluating his play. Mellott is already a very good FCS QB, but I’m not sure he’d see the field at Wyoming as a QB1. I don’t think he got a single FBS offer if I’m not mistaken.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:19 am

PapaG wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:00 am
The level of competition at Wyoming is a lot better than at MSU, and Wyoming is an below-average team in terms of talent in that conference.

Chambers now gets to play against lesser athletes on defense and with top-notch FCS talent on offense. That should be taken into consideration IMO when evaluating his play. Mellott is already a very good FCS QB, but I’m not sure he’d see the field at Wyoming as a QB1. I don’t think he got a single FBS offer if I’m not mistaken.
That list is long with great players. Neither did Troy Andersen or any of last year's guys who are now in the NFL.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:56 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:19 am
PapaG wrote:

That list is long with great players. Neither did Troy Andersen or any of last year's guys who are now in the NFL.
The list of great players from even G5 conferences is a lot longer, and Troy is the only Bobcat of the 5 getting meaningful snaps because of the learning curve coming from the slower speed of FCS.

2022 NFL by conference

MWC 55
Big Sky 14 (5 are MSU)

There a lot more MWC guys in the NFL than from the Big Sky. Clearly the MWC offers better competition than the BSC. That can’t be legitimately be debated.

I’m not sure what your point is here. I’m just offering an opinion because I see some posters going back to Chambers’ Wyoming days and it’s apples to oranges.

Even Matt McKay was solid until he got shook on that hit against Weber (?) and lost his confidence and/or was injured.
Last edited by PapaG on Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What a ride

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:02 pm

Situations and development can change on a yearly basis. I'm not saying this is the case or will be the case but Tommy Mellott would not the the first freshman phenom in history to have a sophomore slump and get benched. Sean Chambers would not be the first QB to struggle at one program and light it up at another one and look like a completely different player.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:10 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:02 pm
Situations and development can change on a yearly basis. I'm not saying this is the case or will be the case but Tommy Mellott would not the the first freshman phenom in history to have a sophomore slump and get benched. Sean Chambers would not be the first QB to struggle at one program and light it up at another one and look like a completely different player.
A good example of this is SDSUs Mark Gronowski. He tore it up as a freshman in the spring 21 season, got hurt and has not been the same this year. He's still been pretty good, but nothing like his spring season.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:09 pm

PapaG wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:56 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:19 am
PapaG wrote:

The list of great players from even G5 conferences is a lot longer, and Troy is the only Bobcat of the 5 getting meaningful snaps because of the learning curve coming from the slower speed of FCS.

2022 NFL by conference

MWC 55
Big Sky 14 (5 are MSU)

There a lot more MWC guys in the NFL than from the Big Sky. Clearly the MWC offers better competition than the BSC. That can’t be legitimately be debated.

I’m not sure what your point is here. I’m just offering an opinion because I see some posters going back to Chambers’ Wyoming days and it’s apples to oranges.

Even Matt McKay was solid until he got shook on that hit against Weber (?) and lost his confidence and/or was injured.
My only point was that it really doesn't matter who gets an FBS offer. Sometimes players get overlooked, like Troy Andersen did.

McKay was solid early but I don't think his collapse had anything to do with the Weber hit. His best game of the conference season was at EWU which was 2 weeks after the Weber game. He was 17/30 for 255 and a TD, plus he rushed for 76 yards and a touch. I'm not sure what happened with him but it doesn't seem like it was the big hit he took at Weber.
EDIT - I take that back, EWU was his 2nd best passing game. Home vs. UNCU was his best passing game stats-wise.

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:24 pm

PapaG wrote:

This has to be near the top if not THE top for worst hot take of the season!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:54 pm

Team10 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:24 pm
PapaG wrote:

This has to be near the top if not THE top for worst hot take of the season!
What about that is wrong? Wyoming didn’t even offer Mellott, so it’s doubtful he’d have seen the field there as QB1. The competition in the MWC is better than the Big Sky, and Wyoming is an average team at best in it, meaning he was playing at a talent deficit. Wyoming managed to make Josh Allen look average because of their lack of talent/depth. And no, I’m not saying Sean is the next Josh Allen, he’s not, but they do play a similar style with big bodies as runners and big arm passers.

Or, are you not going to comment on the substance because it hurt your feelings and some people may think Sean is a better option than Tommy at this point?

What a ride

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:20 am

Incarnate Word beat Nevada 55-41
San Diego State trounced Idaho State 38-7
Hawaii defeated Duquesne 24-14
Fresno State defeated Cal Poly 35-7
San Jose State beat Portland State 21-17
UNLV trounced Idaho State 52-21
New Mexico blanked Maine 38-0
Weber State pummeled Utah State 35-7
Sacramento State destroyed Colorado State 41-10
Wyoming beat Northern Colorado 33-10
Air Force trounced Northern Iowa 48-17
Boise State defeated UT-Martin 30-7

The Mountain West conference played an 11 game FCS schedule (if you only count Idaho State once) this year. The schedule-makers were very kind, giving them all 11 games at home.

Looks like the MVC made it into the FCS playoffs as an unseeded "team" with an 8-3 record. They will face Southen Illinois in the first round with a trip to Missoula, Montana on the line for the winner. They were 1-3 (all at home) vs. other playoff teams - defeating UT-Martin but losing (badly) to Sac State, Weber State, and UIW.

There's your substance. The Mountain West is, on the whole, a fine conference and there is no disputing that they send significantly more talent to the NFL than does the Big Sky. That being said, MSU doesn't want to be just another rank-and-file Big Sky program. They want to contend for a national title every year. No one on BN would be happy with the above results for MSU, especially if they played every game at home!

I feel completely fine with my willingness to call upon past performance at Wyoming (especially because I was noting that he had both extraordinary games and terrible games) for Chambers and my feelings are perfectly intact (I find that people accuse others of hurt feelings are often the ones with hurt feelings, but that's another matter entirely). I think a healthy Mellott would easily start on a number (majority?) of MWC teams. To be fair, Chambers is playing with elite FCS talent and - on the whole - faces easier defenses than while at Wyoming. That take is spot-on.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:57 am

I like Tommy and Sean. I also trust our coaches who break down practice and game film to utilize the strengths of both in order to give msu the best chance to win.

Having two big time QBs is a cause for celebration.

LFGC!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:17 am

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:57 am
I like Tommy and Sean. I also trust our coaches who break down practice and game film to utilize the strengths of both in order to give msu the best chance to win.

Having two big time QBs is a cause for celebration.

LFGC!
Couldn't agree more! =D^

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:19 am

coochorama42 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:20 am

The Mountain West conference played an 11 game FCS schedule (if you only count Idaho State once) this year. The schedule-makers were very kind, giving them all 11 games at home.

Looks like the MVC made it into the FCS playoffs as an unseeded "team" with an 8-3 record. They will face Southen Illinois in the first round with a trip to Missoula, Montana on the line for the winner. They were 1-3 (all at home) vs. other playoff teams - defeating UT-Martin but losing (badly) to Sac State, Weber State, and UIW.

There's your substance. The Mountain West is, on the whole, a fine conference and there is no disputing that they send significantly more talent to the NFL than does the Big Sky. That being said, MSU doesn't want to be just another rank-and-file Big Sky program. They want to contend for a national title every year. No one on BN would be happy with the above results for MSU, especially if they played every game at home!

I feel completely fine with my willingness to call upon past performance at Wyoming (especially because I was noting that he had both extraordinary games and terrible games) for Chambers and my feelings are perfectly intact (I find that people accuse others of hurt feelings are often the ones with hurt feelings, but that's another matter entirely). I think a healthy Mellott would easily start on a number (majority?) of MWC teams. To be fair, Chambers is playing with elite FCS talent and - on the whole - faces easier defenses than while at Wyoming. That take is spot-on.
That’s a lot of work to show that the MWC is significantly better than FCS teams, went 5-2 against the Big Sky, and it isn’t really relevant as they are one-off games and not an 11 game schedule of getting beat up by bigger and faster players. Also, you agreed with me at the end, so what was the point of that exercise?

What a ride

Bobcat1boz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Bobcat1boz » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:58 am

Tommy is QB1. I like Chambers last week but the UC Davis did drop two picks that would've changed everything last week. I believe Tommy is the smarter QB and has better accuracy. I've seen them go throw for throw in Practice and I believe Tommy has the better touch and a better decision maker. I think we use Sean how we have been using him.
That being said I don't want to see Tommy until Weber State, when we need him and he's 100%.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:03 am

PapaG wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:19 am
coochorama42 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:20 am

That’s a lot of work to show that the MWC is significantly better than FCS teams, went 5-2 against the Big Sky, and it isn’t really relevant as they are one-off games and not an 11 game schedule of getting beat up by bigger and faster players. Also, you agreed with me at the end, so what was the point of that exercise?
Last edited by catatac on Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!