The Cats are Better than they were Last Year

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

1catz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: The Cats are Better than they were Last Year

Post by 1catz » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:40 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:52 pm
MSU lost Troy Anderson, Daniel Hardy, Chase Benson, Tre Webb, Lewis Kidd, Lance McCutcheon, and others after an appearance in the National Championship Game. As weeks go by, I am becoming convinced that they are and will be better this season, not worse.

The offense last year was totally dependent on Ifanse and the receivers making plays for McKay down the field. This year's unit is already better, even without Mellott, Ifanse, and Sumner. Once those three are back in the rotation, it's going to be far more dangerous and diverse than it was a year ago. They will be able to feature five dynamic threats in the running game, and will also be more effective in the passing attack than they were in 2021. They don't have a McCutcheon on this team, but they do have a full complement of playmakers. Alston, Patterson, and Thomas are all capable, and Marquis Johnson sprinkles in some big play ability. And what was supposed to be the fly in the ointment, the offensive line, actually took a step forward, despite getting way younger. If you just don't think about the names on the jerseys, they're simply better.

The defense is taking its time getting things figured out after the losses, but it's well on its way. The linebackers collectively had their best game of the season on Saturday. O'Reilly, Askelson, and Uluilakepa were all making plays. Valdez/Schmidt is the best interior tandem in the conference. The main weakness of the defense, the safeties, is probably in the rearview with Ortt coming back next to Manning. While it's not going to be quite as good as the 2021 unit, it's going to look a lot closer moving forward, largely because it's clear that Garza can coach them up.

MSU lost a ton of talent and got better. Prove me wrong.
I can't prove you wrong Lord Vigoo. I have said this on other threads and I stick by it. Coach V has built a next man up mentality... And it's working. We will make it to the Natty again!

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:41 pm

1catz wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:40 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
MSU lost Troy Anderson, Daniel Hardy, Chase Benson, Tre Webb, Lewis Kidd, Lance McCutcheon, and others after an appearance in the National Championship Game. As weeks go by, I am becoming convinced that they are and will be better this season, not worse.

The offense last year was totally dependent on Ifanse and the receivers making plays for McKay down the field. This year's unit is already better, even without Mellott, Ifanse, and Sumner. Once those three are back in the rotation, it's going to be far more dangerous and diverse than it was a year ago. They will be able to feature five dynamic threats in the running game, and will also be more effective in the passing attack than they were in 2021. They don't have a McCutcheon on this team, but they do have a full complement of playmakers. Alston, Patterson, and Thomas are all capable, and Marquis Johnson sprinkles in some big play ability. And what was supposed to be the fly in the ointment, the offensive line, actually took a step forward, despite getting way younger. If you just don't think about the names on the jerseys, they're simply better.

The defense is taking its time getting things figured out after the losses, but it's well on its way. The linebackers collectively had their best game of the season on Saturday. O'Reilly, Askelson, and Uluilakepa were all making plays. Valdez/Schmidt is the best interior tandem in the conference. The main weakness of the defense, the safeties, is probably in the rearview with Ortt coming back next to Manning. While it's not going to be quite as good as the 2021 unit, it's going to look a lot closer moving forward, largely because it's clear that Garza can coach them up.

I can't prove you wrong Lord Vigoo. I have said this on other threads and I stick by it. Coach V has built a next man up mentality... And it's working. We will make it to the Natty again!
gris troll

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:51 pm

onceacat wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:24 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:07 pm
I am really concerned with the defense under Garza. We had guys out of position on multiple plays simply because of scheme. In one instance, he blitzed Okada into a hole that was occupied by our defensive tackle pushing his guy into that same hole. It left a massive lane for the Davis RB. Little stuff like that needs to get addressed.

Safety play will improve with Ortt but our tackling in the secondary needs to improve dramatically.

I also thought Askelson has really flashed this year. I love how Danny U plays, but Askelson has been all over the place. Callaghan is just flat out a stud as well.
I'm concerned too. I just compared the numbers from the 2015 Cats D (the one that got the entire coaching staff fired) compared to this years D.

2015 vs 2022

Points per game: 34.3 vs 31.4
Yards given up per play: 6.5 vs 5.9
Yards per rush: 5.6 vs 5.1
Yards per pass: 8.0 vs 6.9
3rd down D: 42% vs 37%

Certainly not as bad as 2015...but not nearly as far off as we'd like given that this D returned a bunch of talent from an elite unit last year. Basically a FG per game & a half yard per play better than the worst D in memory.
What do those numbers look like without the Oregon State game? 2015 had a DII game and the rest FCS. 2022 has an FBS game and the rest FCS.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:59 pm

Cataholic wrote:
I am really concerned with the defense under Garza. We had guys out of position on multiple plays simply because of scheme. In one instance, he blitzed Okada into a hole that was occupied by our defensive tackle pushing his guy into that same hole. It left a massive lane for the Davis RB. Little stuff like that needs to get addressed.

Safety play will improve with Ortt but our tackling in the secondary needs to improve dramatically.

I also thought Askelson has really flashed this year. I love how Danny U plays, but Askelson has been all over the place. Callaghan is just flat out a stud as well.
Alright guys. Who logged into Cataholic’s username?

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:26 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:51 pm
onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

I'm concerned too. I just compared the numbers from the 2015 Cats D (the one that got the entire coaching staff fired) compared to this years D.

2015 vs 2022

Certainly not as bad as 2015...but not nearly as far off as we'd like given that this D returned a bunch of talent from an elite unit last year. Basically a FG per game & a half yard per play better than the worst D in memory.
What do those numbers look like without the Oregon State game? 2015 had a DII game and the rest FCS. 2022 has an FBS game and the rest FCS.
The 2015 schedule also included games against 2 Top 20 FCS teams, and the 2022 schedule included 2 FCS teams that would have struggled with Ft. Lewis. I'd call it a wash.

Davis & EWOO have had brutal schedules, so its possible they are a lot better than their offensive stats indicate. But theres also a <1% chance of either team making the playoffs...I'm certainly not calling for Garzas head or suggesting that there need to be major overhauls on D...yet.

But when you look at the schedule so far, its not as though MSU has played anyone that even qualifies as a "good" offense. Plenty of season left...but I think articulating a "reasonable concern" about a team thats giving up an average of 22.25 points per game to 4 FCS teams that are a total of 3-9 against FCS competition...

Thats what I would call "Area of Concern".

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:44 pm

rivercat wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:41 pm
1catz wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:40 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:

gris troll
Dude, seriously stop already. Your constant obsession with this and putting it in every thread is more annoying than anything that poster has ever posted and it’s not even close.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:17 pm

onceacat wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:26 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

2015 vs 2022

The 2015 schedule also included games against 2 Top 20 FCS teams, and the 2022 schedule included 2 FCS teams that would have struggled with Ft. Lewis. I'd call it a wash.

Davis & EWOO have had brutal schedules, so its possible they are a lot better than their offensive stats indicate. But theres also a <1% chance of either team making the playoffs...I'm certainly not calling for Garzas head or suggesting that there need to be major overhauls on D...yet.

But when you look at the schedule so far, its not as though MSU has played anyone that even qualifies as a "good" offense. Plenty of season left...but I think articulating a "reasonable concern" about a team thats giving up an average of 22.25 points per game to 4 FCS teams that are a total of 3-9 against FCS competition...

I 100% agree it's an area of concern. Just felt the stats were a little skewed with the OSU game. My biggest issue with the D and Garza is that adjustments are taking way too long. The wide split D line and LBs is also the dumbest thing I've ever seen when playing teams with a good RB.

catscat

Post by catscat » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:24 pm

On offense we talk about getting the best players on the field and tailoring the offense to fit the available talent. I'd do the same with the defense Were it me, I'd go back to a 4 3 4 with Callahan, Danny and Nolan at LB and move Okada back to the secondary. Tackling by the defensive backs immediately gets better.

I don't think we are getting the pass rush with 4 to that we were last year either because the front 4 isn't getting it done, or the coverage isn't as good. Some of you probably know which it is or maybe it's some of both. I'm thinking more frequent blitzes would help the former. Maybe Thomas helps the latter.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:29 pm

I know that comparing opponents results can be misleading, but Davis has been tested this year. They lost to #2 South Dakota State by 2 points. They then lost to #7 Weber by 5. Coming into Bozeman, a loss seriously puts their playoff status into jeopardy with a game still remaining against Sacramento State. Now they must win out to reach 7 wins. Davis needed this game badly and we beat them handily with our backup QB and 5th string RB. Not a definitive comparison by any means, but we do stack up favorably.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:31 pm

catscat wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:24 pm
On offense we talk about getting the best players on the field and tailoring the offense to fit the available talent. I'd do the same with the defense Were it me, I'd go back to a 4 3 4 with Callahan, Danny and Nolan at LB and move Okada back to the secondary. Tackling by the defensive backs immediately gets better.

I don't think we are getting the pass rush with 4 to that we were last year either because the front 4 isn't getting it done, or the coverage isn't as good. Some of you probably know which it is or maybe it's some of both. I'm thinking more frequent blitzes would help the former. Maybe Thomas helps the latter.
I like your idea in the first paragraph. Not sure about more blitzing as our ends are DUDES. They will get to the QB if the secondary can play some tighter coverage.

GeauxCats41
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GeauxCats41 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:02 am

onceacat wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:34 pm
GeauxCats41 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:22 pm
I like this take. Defense is fine, we’ve been playing without 2 starters, we’ve also played 3 top offenses, 3 games in a row, 2 on the road. The first two games we had a new coordinator and we’re still missing two starters. Davis offense is really good between the 20’s, it’s hard to stop the slant while keeping honest with the run and deep balls. Same thing happened to WSU (who should have lost) and SDSU who stopped a 2 pt conversion from tying it up.
EWOO & Davis are #6 & #7 in the BSC in points scored per game & #9 & #6 in yards per play.

These are not offensive juggernauts.
Davis has played probably the hardest FCS schedule to date (3 top 8 teams and an FBS team). EWU has played how many FBS teams plus us? While you are looking at numbers, they aren’t telling the full truth. I think a little football knowledge needs to prevail here. Those are two good offenses.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:31 am

The improvement in our run fits and stopping of gilliam in that game was a massive step forward. 1 real run popped in that game, early, and it was a bad run fit from the safety that allowed it. The defense is coming along. Lord Vigo, the thing that makes me most inclined to agree with your assessment, or agree that we will end up there with this bunch of young kids, is your point about the offensive line. It's a great group that plays well together and can move and block the outside zone scheme. They're playing together and improving together each week. People can say that defense wins championships and it certainly helps, but our elite defense a year ago got steamrolled by a dominant offensive line. It's the most important unit on the team imo and we are as good as we've been there in many years. We've got our 2 hardest games at home and a legitimate shot to run the table. Pretty damn impressive given what we lost. Oh and i think garza is fine, i think they're working through Johnny and Joe issues more than x and o issues, and as guys get back (ortt) and get tuned in (Thomas) some of those weak areas against RPO will improve.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:14 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:17 pm
onceacat wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:26 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

2015 vs 2022

I 100% agree it's an area of concern. Just felt the stats were a little skewed with the OSU game. My biggest issue with the D and Garza is that adjustments are taking way too long. The wide split D line and LBs is also the dumbest thing I've ever seen when playing teams with a good RB.
We are getting to the point where one game has a lot less influence on the stats. I mean, our Offense had to play against the same OSU Defense...and our Offense is still Top 5 in the country. Every other team in the conference (except the Griz) has played an FBS team, so its not as though having that on the schedule makes the Cats some sort of outlier.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:19 am

GeauxCats41 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:02 am
onceacat wrote:
GeauxCats41 wrote:
I like this take. Defense is fine, we’ve been playing without 2 starters, we’ve also played 3 top offenses, 3 games in a row, 2 on the road. The first two games we had a new coordinator and we’re still missing two starters. Davis offense is really good between the 20’s, it’s hard to stop the slant while keeping honest with the run and deep balls. Same thing happened to WSU (who should have lost) and SDSU who stopped a 2 pt conversion from tying it up.
EWOO & Davis are #6 & #7 in the BSC in points scored per game & #9 & #6 in yards per play.

Davis has played probably the hardest FCS schedule to date (3 top 8 teams and an FBS team). EWU has played how many FBS teams plus us? While you are looking at numbers, they aren’t telling the full truth. I think a little football knowledge needs to prevail here. Those are two good offenses.
Maybe. I'm not saying either one is bad. Gilliam is an All American level RB & EWU is EWU. Regardless, neither of those offenses is firing on all cylinders right now.

Just that most neutral parties aren't looking at the Bobcat D & shaking in their boots. As of now, the D is putting up pretty terrible numbers & we have yet to play the best offensive teams on the regular season schedule.

GeauxCats41
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GeauxCats41 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:23 am

onceacat wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:19 am
GeauxCats41 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
GeauxCats41 wrote:

Maybe. I'm not saying either one is bad. Gilliam is an All American level RB & EWU is EWU. Regardless, neither of those offenses is firing on all cylinders right now.

Just that most neutral parties aren't looking at the Bobcat D & shaking in their boots. As of now, the D is putting up pretty terrible numbers & we have yet to play the best offensive teams on the regular season schedule.
So In your opinion, Montana, who has played the 75th SOS in the FCS has a better offense we can gauge our defense with than Oregon state, EWU, and UCD because of this 5 game window? I just think this whole bashing the defense is a bit near sighted. We get a starter back next week and hopefully Rygg later on. I’m guessing there will be some crows in late October.

For reference those teams who “aren’t looking so great on offense” (EWU and UCD) have played the #3 and #5 SOS to date through these 5 games. Those top tier offenses you mentioned (Cal poly, UM, WSU) are 40,75,47 SOS. I think you should wait till seasons end or closer to that so your numbers are more accurate.

Massey has our defense as 15th that’s not bad through our 5 games. Side note: UCD has played the #2 and #3 defenses according to Massey, they also should have won the WSU game.

Comparing EWU and UCD offenses to cal poly and Montana is just wrong based off what I listed.

UM’s toughest game to date was at home against Sargin ranked 139 USD. Since then, the next highest caliber team was PSU at home with a Sargon of 171.
Last edited by GeauxCats41 on Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:31 am

The defense just looks flat and apathetic at times. The 1-2 explosive opponent TD’s every game shows they’re not 100% dialed in for every play. Listening to Garza, I get the impression he’s very relaxed and stays cool no matter the pressure or situation…in other words, I think he lacks intensity. I could be way off but that’s what I get from him and the defensive lapses back it up.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:43 am

ND0479 wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:31 am
The defense just looks flat and apathetic at times. The 1-2 explosive opponent TD’s every game shows they’re not 100% dialed in for every play. Listening to Garza, I get the impression he’s very relaxed and stays cool no matter the pressure or situation…in other words, I think he lacks intensity. I could be way off but that’s what I get from him and the defensive lapses back it up.
I know nothing of Garza, but what I did notice from rewatching the game, when we're in coverage we're lost. Assignments are blown, positions are poor and we're not really doing much to adjust to the offense preplay. When we play to stop the run and bring up the safeties we're much better at being in position, maybe because they practice against a run heavy O. They look young and out of sorts a lot, but the bright side is it can get better.

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:03 am

I'm not sure about better. We lost 4 guys to the NFL and several more that were all conference from last years team. What I do think though is We will be playing better in Nov and Dec than we are in Sept and Oct which wasn't the case for a long time for the Cats. We saw signs of issues against the other MSU's and Oregon State really exposed them. They got better against EWU and I think we were better Saturday than the week before. We are going to get some starters back and have a few gettable games.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:42 am

onceacat wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:19 am
GeauxCats41 wrote:
onceacat wrote:
GeauxCats41 wrote:

Which teams do we have yet to play, that have better offenses than Oregon State, EWU, and UC Davis?

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:59 am

onceacat wrote:
GeauxCats41 wrote:

Their respective SOSs thus far skew those stats quite a bit.