Good Bad Ugly - UC Davis

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Good Bad Ugly - UC Davis

Post by CodyCat » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:38 pm

I wasn't able to watch much of this game and I wanted to resurrect the GBU Thread because I enjoy reading all your takes.

Hating the griz since 02.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Good Bad Ugly - UC Davis

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:15 pm

GOOD: Elijah Elliott and Garrett Coon pounding out some tough gains and first downs to keep the running game smoking.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:02 pm

Good:
Great night for Chambers and the offense. Great blocking, especially on the outside. On both his long TD runs, chambers wasn't even touched.

4th quarter defense. They stepped up when it mattered most.

Very nice conference win against another quality opponent. Now we should be able to get through the next 2 games with wins and get to 4-0 in conference, barring something crazy happening.

Bad:
First quarter defense could've been better. Hate to give up 10 points at home in the first quarter.

Safety play hasn't been very good so far, especially against the run. They completely whiffed in the open field on Gilliam's first quarter TD. Didn't even get a finger on him. Granted, Gilliam is a really elusive player. I believe we get Ortt back next week so that will help a bit.

Need to be a little more situationally aware on special teams.

Ugly, I wouldn't say anything was ugly. Good win, now we'll be playing more of a griz-type schedule with Idaho State and UNCU upcoming.

1catz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 1catz » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:12 pm

Great-The play calling Housewright used with Chambers. The more passing plays we get on film the more difficult it will be able to scheme a defense. Who will be our starting QB going forward? I trust Coach V to make the correct decision. I'm on the edge of my seat! With anticipation!!
Not so great- Defense against the run and special teams.

MTCowpoke22
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MTCowpoke22 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:53 pm

Ugly: Giving up first downs, scores, and chunk yardage on trick plays. Hawkins was pulling out all the stops in the playbook, and we got caught with our pants down on the fake punt for a first down, Gillam's Touchdown pass, and the 2-point run on the point after.

There's the truth, and then there's what's reported in the papers.

1catz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 1catz » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:04 pm

MTCowpoke22 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:53 pm
Ugly: Giving up first downs, scores, and chunk yardage on trick plays. Hawkins was pulling out all the stops in the playbook, and we got caught with our pants down on the fake punt for a first down, Gillam's Touchdown pass, and the 2-point run on the point after.
I will admit I was duped on that special teams play. They took two penalties then ran the play. I have only seen that sequence one time in the big sky and I hate to admit that it was by coach Hauck.

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:06 pm

Good: Chambers. What a beast. And added a nice passing game. Needs to stop forcing passes. Could easily have had two picks.

Bad: Our D is still a work in progress but I think it's getting better.

Ugly: Getting home to Columbus at 1:40 AM.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:11 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:06 pm
Good: Chambers. What a beast. And added a nice passing game. Needs to stop forcing passes. Could easily have had two picks.

Not sure what is going on with the D. We have a lot of very good players/athletes on our Defense. Too many to be giving up 6 yards per carry and a lot of yards after the catch. Is it coaching, scheme, play calling??? The good news it should be fixable because we do have very good players on our defense.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:29 pm

gtapp wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:11 pm
84CatGrad wrote:

Not sure what is going on with the D. We have a lot of very good players/athletes on our Defense. Too many to be giving up 6 yards per carry and a lot of yards after the catch. Is it coaching, scheme, play calling??? The good news it should be fixable because we do have very good players on our defense.
Everytime I see that alignment where the LB’s are split wide and the D Linemen stunt to the middle…I CRINGE! It really hasn’t worked and it leaves the middle exposed to be exploited…and it is for the short passing game and the cut back lanes for the backs. We’re much better at every aspect of the D game when we line up in the standard alignment with LB’s IMO!

1catz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 1catz » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:58 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:29 pm
gtapp wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:

Everytime I see that alignment where the LB’s are split wide and the D Linemen stunt to the middle…I CRINGE! It really hasn’t worked and it leaves the middle exposed to be exploited…and it is for the short passing game and the cut back lanes for the backs. We’re much better at every aspect of the D game when we line up in the standard alignment with LB’s IMO!
I noticed that too. I'm not an expert by any means but there were some gigantic holes. I think it will get fixed though... Makes no sense.

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:12 am

84CatGrad wrote:

Had some friends that drove back to Great Falls and got in at 3AM! :shock:

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:55 am

Bocephus wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:12 am
84CatGrad wrote:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Marana CAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Marana CAT » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:19 am

gtapp wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:

This years front 6 besides O’Reilly were all very good if not great #2’s last year behind 4 absolute beasts…. I believe our biggest drop off from last year’s Defense is we don’t have YET the # 2’s (depth) that we had last year. Hopefully each game will help build on the depth especially for the front 4.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

GeauxCats41
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GeauxCats41 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:31 am

Bocephus wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:

Ouch. Are they still sleeping? :?

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:47 am

Mark this on the GOOD:

UC Davis has on their offensive line 2 seniors, a Center (Pettek) and a Guard (Parks) that both have all conference accolades. Yet despite being really good on the interior, Seabass was unblockable for huge portions of the game. We went a long time between Minter and Benson to have an D-lineman that demands double teams for every snap they are out there but we've now gone back to back. Cats could go back to back on Defensive player of the year. I haven't watched anyone as good as him in the conference yet.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:09 am

Good: The crowd, especially before the half.
Bad: What was with the run-out? The flag guys did it twice and we didn't let the band play the school song?

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:12 am

And I also agree with Seabass. Loved Benson but I think Sebastian will be every bit as good, or better by the time he's done.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:12 am

WalkOn79 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:09 am
Bad: What was with the run-out? The flag guys did it twice and we didn't let the band play the school song?
Did that have something to do with delayed start.

Sports is not bigger than life

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:14 am

tetoncat wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:12 am
WalkOn79 wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:09 am
Did that have something to do with delayed start.
I think so. ESPN even screwed up the runout!! :roll: :roll:

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:15 am

Bocephus wrote:
84CatGrad wrote:

I will add this to the good column! We tailgated until 2:45 AM!
I always like to stay late take my time cleaning up and drink a few waters and enjoy the fire