The official-UnOfficial Bobcat-UCDavis Gameday thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Re: The official-UnOfficial Bobcat-UCDavis Gameday thread

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:51 am

Cats are looking great! And the best part is that there is still a ton of room for improvement-

Keep building the Defense, and get better every week. You can see some of these younger players taking steps In The right direction each week. Danny U is starting to show up more and more (for example).

Special teams…. Still some things to fix. But I love our return guys! Such a huge weapon.

Offense…. Sooo many weapons. Eventually having ifanse, sumner and Elliott in place will be quite the 3 headed monster at that position! This young OL has been incredible!

Tommy and Chambers…. Wow, gonna be really interesting to see how these guys are used going forward. Chambers is proving to be a MASSIVE edition.

That was a big win! UC Davis is a really good team.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:54 am

Seems like our defense has a problem game planning. We come in and give up multiple big plays and then we adjust and play fairly well. At least that's how the last two games have gone and McNeese to a small extent as well. I'm not sure how to fix that but we can't be giving opposing teams a 10-14 point cushion and THEN locking down. That will definitely come back to bite us in the future. But I guess I can say at least the defensive staff seems really good at making adjustments on the fly!

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:22 am

Bocephus wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:25 am
What a luxury to have 2 very capable QBs.

I can’t wait for Ifanse to come back and run behind this line.
On top of the fact that we don't have to change the offense around when one or the other is on the field. If anyone can make a two QB system work, it is Coach Vigen. We have a strong colonel leading us into battle!

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:39 am

superbobcat wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:22 am
Bocephus wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:25 am
What a luxury to have 2 very capable QBs.

I can’t wait for Ifanse to come back and run behind this line.
On top of the fact that we don't have to change the offense around when one or the other is on the field. If anyone can make a two QB system work, it is Coach Vigen. We have a strong colonel leading us into battle!
In the press conference Coach said he thought Chambers was nicked up before his second touchdown run. Chambers said he ran it less often this week than last week because he was sore. I think with the offense we run we’re very fortunate to have two very good quarterbacks and will likely see both of them play in every game where they are both healthy and likely to see them on the field at the same time several times a game.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:49 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:51 am
Cats are looking great! And the best part is that there is still a ton of room for improvement-

Keep building the Defense, and get better every week. You can see some of these younger players taking steps In The right direction each week. Danny U is starting to show up more and more (for example).

Special teams…. Still some things to fix. But I love our return guys! Such a huge weapon.

Offense…. Sooo many weapons. Eventually having ifanse, sumner and Elliott in place will be quite the 3 headed monster at that position! This young OL has been incredible!

Tommy and Chambers…. Wow, gonna be really interesting to see how these guys are used going forward. Chambers is proving to be a MASSIVE edition.

Absolutely! And a big part in building the defense is we get Ortt back next week for the stretch run! I don't know if he will be the saving grace we are hoping for but he will definitely be an improvement knthe back end. Danny U is improving every single game

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:14 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:38 am
94VegasCat wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:15 am
Tommy gets his starting job back and that’s that. Chambers had a massive game and he’ll still be very widely used. Tommy is the starter unless not cleared to play.

I’m not certain. Does Tommy NEED to be the starter next week? Would he benefit from being used sparingly and worked back into the game to see how he processes things and deals with hits?

I think Chambers starts…and I think we see Tommy in spot duty.
Need? No probably not. When Tommy is 100% healthy he should be the starter. I think that both guys are 100% capable of winning by themselves but as a dual threat dual threat, their unbeatable. Yes I said dual threat dual threat. Until last night, Chambers hadn’t had much opportunity to toss the rock around the yard. He proved so quite effectively and thus dual threat dual threat QB’s.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

GeauxCats41
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GeauxCats41 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:16 am

Sac state runs a really great two QB system. We could do the same!

This is a great problem to have when you have great options. We are lucky as a fan base. Sean and Tommy are both awesome!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:49 am

I have a take (or two) on the effectiveness on the defense.

First, I really think Nolan Askelson needs to play more. I think he’s the best at getting off blocks and is the most aggressive LB we have. I also believe he needs to see the field more at the expense of Callahan (I’m running away now).

Second, the DL stunts too much and it is having a negative impact on the run game. Perhaps it’s just young players becoming more assignment steady, perhaps it’s a schematic deficiency, I’m not sure.

Third, Eiden needs to play more over Seymour. I like Seymour as a pass rusher, but he struggles setting the edge. We need a bigger DE in the worst way. The graduation and loss of Hardy/Williams is very apparent.

Fourth, Willie Mack is a good coach. The defense took a serious step back talent wise, and that’s not a shot at the current players. It’s just uncommon to have multiple NFL caliber players at the same time here, that’s hard to replace, and that’s not including the other high level seniors. The defense is young at important spots, and it just takes reps and time. Willie Mack is making good in game adjustments, and not over correcting. I’m a bit concerned about the DB’s…outside of Woodard, they’ve taken a step back. Some of the angles the safeties are taking are atrocious (Pottenger, Bailey, Short). Need Ortt back in the worst way.

GeauxCats41

Post by GeauxCats41 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:04 am

We only gave up 24 to Davis… SDSU is #2 in the country and gave up 22 because UCD went for 2. Weber (another great defense) should have given up the same or so except the place kicker decided to go haywire for UCD last week. We get Ortt back next week. The secondary is fine. This is such a pouty fan base. We are 4-1 and some of us want to hold feet to the fire. 🤣

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:11 am

GeauxCats41 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:04 am
We only gave up 24 to Davis… SDSU is #2 in the country and gave up 22 because UCD went for 2. Weber (another great defense) should have given up the same or so except the place kicker decided to go haywire for UCD last week. We get Ortt back next week. The secondary is fine. This is such a pouty fan base. We are 4-1 and some of us want to hold feet to the fire. 🤣
I don't think it's pouty for fans on a message board to discuss a few concerns about the defense. Last night's win, and last week at EWU, were huge critical conference wins and I think pretty much everyone is happy with our 4-1 record. But it would be nice if we could clean up a few things on the back end, wouldn't it?

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:14 am

GeauxCats41 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:16 am

This is a great problem to have when you have great options. We are lucky as a fan base. Sean and Tommy are both awesome!
Usually a 2 QB system means ones really good at where the other one is lacking. Tommy and Sean are very similar - both very good at running and decent at passing. That said, Chambers was far better than decent in the passing game last night and I hope he continues to get better but I hope to see them give him the chance to match that performance against Idaho St next week before I’m a full believer.

BobCatFan

Post by BobCatFan » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:16 am

Chambers was spot at on last night with his passing. Last week, I said I can see why he was only expecting to run the ball. Last night, he may have proved everyone wrong on his passing abilities. Great game for him and the entire offense.

BobCatFan

Post by BobCatFan » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:20 am

Chambers was spot at on last night with his passing. Last week, I said I can see why he was only expecting to run the ball. Last night, he may have proved everyone wrong on his passing abilities. Great game for him and the entire offense.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:29 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:49 am

First, I really think Nolan Askelson needs to play more. I think he’s the best at getting off blocks and is the most aggressive LB we have. I also believe he needs to see the field more at the expense of Callahan (I’m running away now).

Second, the DL stunts too much and it is having a negative impact on the run game. Perhaps it’s just young players becoming more assignment steady, perhaps it’s a schematic deficiency, I’m not sure.

Third, Eiden needs to play more over Seymour. I like Seymour as a pass rusher, but he struggles setting the edge. We need a bigger DE in the worst way. The graduation and loss of Hardy/Williams is very apparent.

Fourth, Willie Mack is a good coach. The defense took a serious step back talent wise, and that’s not a shot at the current players. It’s just uncommon to have multiple NFL caliber players at the same time here, that’s hard to replace, and that’s not including the other high level seniors. The defense is young at important spots, and it just takes reps and time. Willie Mack is making good in game adjustments, and not over correcting. I’m a bit concerned about the DB’s…outside of Woodard, they’ve taken a step back. Some of the angles the safeties are taking are atrocious (Pottenger, Bailey, Short). Need Ortt back in the worst way.
100% on Askelson. Whether it's at the expense of O'Reilly or Danny U he needs to be out there more. He is the best run stopping LB we have, and was the only guy anywhere near stopping that slant that we apparently never wanted to acknowledge they were running over and over.

I'm still luke warm on Willie Mack. He has made some adjustments sure but they absolutely refused to adjust to the aforementioned slant. Kraft had like 150 years receiving, and I think 140 of them came on the slant.

The safeties are killing us in the run game though and that's not really on him. As you said bad angles and really poor tackling. Once RBs get to the 2nd level if the LBs are blocked or get out of posiiton there is almost no hope of a safety making a tackle right now. Rex Connors for Davis did not let a RB get more than 5 yards down field last night when he came up in run support. Hopefully Ortt provides that type of safety play, pun intended. Manning has zero interest in tackling and the other safeties just aren't ready yet.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:01 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:29 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

100% on Askelson. Whether it's at the expense of O'Reilly or Danny U he needs to be out there more. He is the best run stopping LB we have, and was the only guy anywhere near stopping that slant that we apparently never wanted to acknowledge they were running over and over.

I'm still luke warm on Willie Mack. He has made some adjustments sure but they absolutely refused to adjust to the aforementioned slant. Kraft had like 150 years receiving, and I think 140 of them came on the slant.

The safeties are killing us in the run game though and that's not really on him. As you said bad angles and really poor tackling. Once RBs get to the 2nd level if the LBs are blocked or get out of posiiton there is almost no hope of a safety making a tackle right now. Rex Connors for Davis did not let a RB get more than 5 yards down field last night when he came up in run support. Hopefully Ortt provides that type of safety play, pun intended. Manning has zero interest in tackling and the other safeties just aren't ready yet.
Manning is tackling better than he did last year imo.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:37 pm

Catprint wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:28 pm
espn app shows NOTHING to watch. How can even a bar watch it? NOt on ESPN2,3, U, News and ESPN Plus and ESPN app. Bummer. Don't understand who can even see it.
I was able to watch most of the 1st half on espn3. Don't know if the whole game was on espn3, I hit sack at about 9:30...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:06 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:51 am

Great synopsis

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

GeauxCats41

Post by GeauxCats41 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:33 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:11 am
GeauxCats41 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:04 am
I don't think it's pouty for fans on a message board to discuss a few concerns about the defense. Last night's win, and last week at EWU, were huge critical conference wins and I think pretty much everyone is happy with our 4-1 record. But it would be nice if we could clean up a few things on the back end, wouldn't it?
I think there’s a difference between “concerns” and complaining/pouting. By all means complain on the message board. I get it, but it’s still complaining/ pouting. Everyone has their observations, this was just MY observation.

As for cleaning things up, I think adding our original starter back will prove very beneficial and we can start judging from there. Otherwise let’s remember both teams have athletes and we won’t win every game 40-0

GeauxCats41

Post by GeauxCats41 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:36 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:14 am
GeauxCats41 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:16 am

Usually a 2 QB system means ones really good at where the other one is lacking. Tommy and Sean are very similar - both very good at running and decent at passing. That said, Chambers was far better than decent in the passing game last night and I hope he continues to get better but I hope to see them give him the chance to match that performance against Idaho St next week before I’m a full believer.
Yeah, I think the motto for us was Tommy passes and scrambles while sean runs the ball. BUT, I think after this last week, we have two legit QB1’s. Who have a similar but different skill set. Will be nice to start one or the other in given situations or playing certain teams that we feel one or the other will best match up with.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:02 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:29 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

All/most defenses are going to give something up. There is no defense that adequately defends everything. Plus with the current rules that favor offensive play, it’s just not realistic. I’d love to keep teams under a couple hundred yards every game, but that ain’t happening anymore. We have to readjust our expectations to fit the current rules.