MSU @ EW Takeaways

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU @ EW Takeaways

Post by catatac » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:14 pm

CodyCat wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:16 pm
I wasnt able to watch the game and I finally made it through the highlights (its been a busy week). Its REALLY hard for me to tell if it was an interception. However, something I havent seen mentioned is that is was 4th down. At worst it was incomplete pass. Like someone mentioned, its nice to see something go our way on the rag. Big time win for the boys.
Ya, but the naysayers (EWU fans and several Griz fans that REALLY wanted us to lose) are still maintaining that it was a catch by the receiver. I don't see any way in hell by watching that replay that someone could say it's proof that he caught that ball, and maintained control of it all through the tackle and ground contact, which is the rule. It doesn't matter if he has possession just when the knee hit. That's not the rule.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:58 pm

I was so unsure of that catch and I wouldn't have been surprised by any outcome.

However it kind of dawned on me yesterday that if there were no defenders at all, and a WR jumped up, caught the ball, fell down and the ball flew out as he rolled on the ground (after his knee hit), regardless of whether the ball hits the ground or not, it would be an obvious incompletion. But somehow catching in a sea of defenders makes it seem less important. He didn't maintain all the way to the ground, that's not a catch.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:02 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:14 pm
CodyCat wrote:
I wasnt able to watch the game and I finally made it through the highlights (its been a busy week). Its REALLY hard for me to tell if it was an interception. However, something I havent seen mentioned is that is was 4th down. At worst it was incomplete pass. Like someone mentioned, its nice to see something go our way on the rag. Big time win for the boys.
Ya, but the naysayers (EWU fans and several Griz fans that REALLY wanted us to lose) are still maintaining that it was a catch by the receiver. I don't see any way in hell by watching that replay that someone could say it's proof that he caught that ball, and maintained control of it all through the tackle and ground contact, which is the rule. It doesn't matter if he has possession just when the knee hit. That's not the rule.
The slow mo was really clear. The receiver didn't maintain control throughout the catch. This is REALLY basic football. That never has been and never will be a catch in any league. EVER.

I'm mildly irritated that the replay booth didn't confirm the call on the field. Unless maybe they were just upholding the INT, because they couldn't conclusively decide if the ball hit the ground, I guess?

But it was as crystal clear an incomplete pass as I've ever seen an EWU receiver drop.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:08 pm

It would be kind of funny if the entire time the review official was actually deciding on INT or incompletion, which would've been a better call for MSU. The misconception of course is that a catch is completed as soon as a player's knee hits the ground with possession, a lot of people don't realize that the fumble rule isn't the same as the catch rule.

RockyBearCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RockyBearCat » Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:04 pm

CodyCat wrote:
Worst case and what EWU thought was that is was a catch and the ball came out after he was down. Then, it would have been a first down EWU. My take (and seems like officials) was he didn't have full control and when he hit the ground, it came out. The ball never hit the ground so it was either a catch for them or for us. I liked the decision.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:43 pm

RockyBearCat wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:04 pm
CodyCat wrote:
Worst case and what EWU thought was that is was a catch and the ball came out after he was down. Then, it would have been a first down EWU. My take (and seems like officials) was he didn't have full control and when he hit the ground, it came out. The ball never hit the ground so it was either a catch for them or for us. I liked the decision.
If they would have called it incomplete or reception their wouldn't have been enough to overturn. Cats lucked out with the INT call, because in all three scenarios I don't think the call would have been reversed.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:27 pm

The Butcher wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:43 pm
RockyBearCat wrote:
CodyCat wrote:
If they would have called it incomplete or reception their wouldn't have been enough to overturn. Cats lucked out with the INT call, because in all three scenarios I don't think the call would have been reversed.
I disagree. I think people are over-complicating this. He didn't maintain possession all the way through the catch. You don't get a catch just because you dove and your knee hits first, you have to maintain it through your crash landing too. Just because he climbed the ladder and landed on his knee doesn't mean everything that happened after that gets ignored.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:37 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:27 pm
The Butcher wrote:
RockyBearCat wrote:
CodyCat wrote:
I disagree. I think people are over-complicating this. He didn't maintain possession all the way through the catch. You don't get a catch just because you dove and your knee hits first, you have to maintain it through your crash landing too. Just because he climbed the ladder and landed on his knee doesn't mean everything that happened after that gets ignored.
Can't figure out why this is so difficult.... :-k

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:57 pm

The Butcher wrote:
RockyBearCat wrote:
CodyCat wrote:
Disagree. A receiver needs to maintain control of the ball through contact with the ground. Its not even in doubt that there was never a reception.

Heres the rule:

If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent) he must maintain complete and continuous control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or in the end zone. This is also required for a player attempting to make a catch at the sideline and going to the ground out of bounds. If he loses control of the ball which then touches the ground before he regains control, it is not a catch.

But to the extent that the replay officials didn't seem super aware of football rules, I guess its possible that they could have let a reception stand despite clear & incontrovertible evidence that the receiver never made the catch in the first place.

2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 083190 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:45 pm

Found the definitive answer! It was beyond any semblance of doubt an interception. Check the play sequence on espn. It takes some digging, but the sequencing shows that it is recorded as an interception. That has to be correct, because it's in the books and it ain't gonna change! "Interception".... done!

On to UCD.

GeauxCats41

Post by GeauxCats41 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:51 am

My take away: everyone wants to see us lose. UM, EWU, SAC, WSU, all bitter we made it the distance last year. Let’s do it again :)

WSUWILDCAT

Post by WSUWILDCAT » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:45 am

GeauxCats41 wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:51 am
My take away: everyone wants to see us lose. UM, EWU, SAC, WSU, all bitter we made it the distance last year. Let’s do it again :)

I cant speak for everyone but the only game I want you guys to lose is to us. So I guess to some extent you are right :lol:

Plus I was rooting for you guys last year in the playoffs. I dont hate you guys as mush as the other guys :wink:

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND GO WILDCATS

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:10 am

WSUWILDCAT wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:45 am
GeauxCats41 wrote:

I cant speak for everyone but the only game I want you guys to lose is to us. So I guess to some extent you are right :lol:

Plus I was rooting for you guys last year in the playoffs. I dont hate you guys as mush as the other guys :wink:
:D

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:20 pm

WSUWILDCAT wrote:
GeauxCats41 wrote:

I actively root for every Big Sky team in the playoffs other than the School of Dance in Missoula.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

GeauxCats41

Post by GeauxCats41 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:23 pm

WSUWILDCAT wrote:
GeauxCats41 wrote:

We will take the alliance! Excited to have you at home this year… what should we be expecting from UCD tomorrow? Sounds like their defense is playing above their predicted level and they sent a lot of wild cat your way but they guy might be dinged up.

WSUWILDCAT

Post by WSUWILDCAT » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:06 pm

GeauxCats41 wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:23 pm
WSUWILDCAT wrote:
GeauxCats41 wrote:

We will take the alliance! Excited to have you at home this year… what should we be expecting from UCD tomorrow? Sounds like their defense is playing above their predicted level and they sent a lot of wild cat your way but they guy might be dinged up.

Their defense is good but I do feel like Weber moved the ball pretty easily but then would shoot themselves in the foot with turnovers and penalties that would halt the drives.

The Aggie Run game is really good but if you can "stop" their run game I dont believe their air game is explosive enough to win games for them. They apparently either dont trust their qb to go deep or whether their line can block long enough to do so cause Weber got pressure and Davis never went deep.

Davis' weakness is their kicking. Mostly field goals. Weber got a little lucky as Davis missed 3 field goals. (One was blocked).

Davis has great potential though and could beat anybody any night. Contain Gillium and your chances go up

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND GO WILDCATS