MSU @ EW Takeaways

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: MSU @ EW Takeaways

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:36 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:30 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:58 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:04 am
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:55 am
bobcatfan123 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:34 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:25 pm
autocat wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:06 pm
Sorry Catholic, you must live in Silver Bow County, so it was an accident that Chambers started at WYO?

Go watch some video when he played at WYO, you sound disappointed that he helped get the victory on Saturday
Doesn’t matter where I live. Go watch some video from the spring game and the McNeese and Morehead games. Anybody who thinks Chambers has better passing ability than Tommy has not been watching.

And by the way, I said that we will win with Chambers. By no means did I say Chambers sucks. The question posed was if Chambers was a better QB than Tommy. Sorry, but Chambers is not.
I agree that Tommy is the better qb. However, it does seem to me that Tommy has n not looked composed this year.

Chambers does not have the same skill set, but was cool calm and collected under pressure. I really think that if Tommy can learn to do the same he will be an all time great.
Good way to put it. Tommy hasn't thrown the ball well with any consistency. Chambers maybe has a stronger arm as far as ripping the ball but doesn't seem to see the field well. I actually thought the ball was coming out of Tommy's hand as good as it had lsst Saturday; specifically thinking of the 3rd and 10 he completed to alston on a well- covered out route. Both are really good runners that are hard to deal with. Tommy is faster but chambers isn't slow in the open field either.
This won't be popular but I'm not sure either one is the long term answer at the position, as any more than a gadget player. Also possible that Tommy develops into a competent FCS passer, at which point he's a very dangerous man because of his legs. Think we're in good shape this year though because of their running ability, the fact that we have 2, and the fact that we seem to have a really good Oline.
MSU’s pass game problems stem more from receivers not getting open than anything the QBs are doing. Practically every catch Patterson and Alston have made has been in traffic. The TEs have been able to get open.

MSU runs a lot of sideline pass plays. They’re slow developing and aren’t conducive to high completion percentages.

Once MSU’s philosophy switches to more passes in the flat and short middle, the defense on the outside routes will soften.

MSU also runs the ball a lot and hasn’t had games play out in a way that the QBs get to throw the ball a lot and find a groove. That’s only happened once and Mellott was finding a lot of success with it through the middle of the Morehead game. He had another stint of shorter duration vs OSU.
Good point. I guess my only response would be to ask the old chicken-or-egg argument regarding scheme. Do we have that jump-ball tendency because that's what we believe in or because we think we currently have 1-read qbs who may be turnover prone in the middle of the field? I don't know that answer but at different times it feels like either could be true so i imagine it's a mix of both.
Even if they were one read QBs, there should still be numerous pockets in coverage with so much emphasis on the run. MSU has used some simple pass plays with success that should pop open every game, but I haven’t seen them go back to them.

It’s hard to get into a passing groove when you get to throw 10-15 passes and they’re scattered throughout the game. The drives/stretches MSU’s used the pass more exclusively, Mellott has gotten into good rhythm.
You're right, he has, Saturday looked to be headed that way too until he got hurt. You've convinced me. Still hope to see a more advanced passing game soon.

catsandcanes
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by catsandcanes » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:56 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:49 pm
catsandcanes wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:31 pm
Sorry for not knowing but what is Ortt 5 game suspension for? Thank you
I don't see that this got answered. Ortt was actually suspended an entire season back before the championship game in January for taking a banned substance (I've never heard what it was). He served that game. He also appealed that suspension and had it reduced to 6 games. So with the chipper and four games so far this season, he has one more game to sit out.
Thank you! Appreciate the information

gocats77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by gocats77 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:11 pm

Has Rylan Ortt been practicing with the team since camp opened?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:18 pm

gocats77 wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:11 pm
Has Rylan Ortt been practicing with the team since camp opened?
Every practice...yes.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:37 pm

My takeaway is we could have had this exact discussion in July and would have been correct. Started with two games against crappy opponents we knew we’d win. Then a game against an FBS we almost certainly lose. Then finally a conference game that could of went either way but what I expected.

Saturday is a huge game and if we handle business I fully expect us to go another 3-0 to be 6-1 before hosting Weber.

Along these same lines anyone paying attention knew the griz had an unbelievably easy schedule to start the season. They were a lock to start 5-0. Best team they have played is probably South Dakota who will probably start off 1-5. I’ve been preparing to listen to their fans about how incredible they are since this schedule came out. As if there would be any other outcome than a 5-0 start with that schedule….

I have no takeaways. We are right where about 99% of us knew we’d be. I’m impressed with Weber over the first month. Guess that might be my only takeaway. I am FAR more excited for the next 4-6 weeks than I was the first 4 weeks. We’ll slowly start getting an idea who is truly a contender

gocats77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by gocats77 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:11 pm

Thanks for the confirmation Vim!

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:19 pm

So far the friz have four wins against teams with a combined 3-11 record. Those teams have been outscored 728-264 or an average of 52-19 per game. They might as well have played Frontier Conference schools.

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:14 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:19 pm
So far the friz have four wins against teams with a combined 3-11 record. Those teams have been outscored 728-264 or an average of 52-19 per game. They might as well have played Frontier Conference schools.
Next up is 0-4 Idaho State on their 3rd string QB, and after losing to UNC could most likely go winless this season.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:26 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Griz already won the championship this year when they beat 2 MVC powerhouses in USD and Indiana State. I mean Ndsu barely hung on to beat USD and the griz beat them way worse, so the griz are better than ndsu. I can't believe they aren't ranked #1 right now. Must be east-dakota bias.
:coffee:

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:01 am

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:26 am
84CatGrad wrote:
Griz already won the championship this year when they beat 2 MVC powerhouses in USD and Indiana State. I mean Ndsu barely hung on to beat USD and the griz beat them way worse, so the griz are better than ndsu. I can't believe they aren't ranked #1 right now. Must be east-dakota bias.
I normally don't have any sympathy for the gris, but I DEFINITELY feel for them having to navigate the early part of their schedule. The first five games had them facing Murderers' Row! Their D must be legit to shut those guys down.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:48 am

RobertCats wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:01 am
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:26 am
84CatGrad wrote:
I normally don't have any sympathy for the gris, but I DEFINITELY feel for them having to navigate the early part of their schedule. The first five games had them facing Murderers' Row! Their D must be legit to shut those guys down.
Haha, yep. Can't wait to see the melt down when a team like Idaho actually gives them a game (maybe), or for sure when they have to go on the road to play at Sac State, at Weber, and at MSU. That fan base will melt down with their first loss, as usual.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:58 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:25 pm
autocat wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:06 pm
Sorry Catholic, you must live in Silver Bow County, so it was an accident that Chambers started at WYO?

Go watch some video when he played at WYO, you sound disappointed that he helped get the victory on Saturday
Doesn’t matter where I live. Go watch some video from the spring game and the McNeese and Morehead games. Anybody who thinks Chambers has better passing ability than Tommy has not been watching.

And by the way, I said that we will win with Chambers. By no means did I say Chambers sucks. The question posed was if Chambers was a better QB than Tommy. Sorry, but Chambers is not.
im with Cataholic on this one. Thank goodness we have Chambers because he is an incredible asset. But, he is not a better passer than TM.

Hating the griz since 02.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:08 pm

My new takeaway is that teams are preying on (taking advantage of) MSU’s lack of experience. Of the big plays MSU’s given up, about half are due to some slight of hand or youthful exuberance.

The 31-yard run by the mcneese backup, the 38-yard fake punt by Morehead, the 56 and 28-yard TD runs by EWU.

If you rewatch those plays you’ll see what I mean.

Good read:

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... f1947.html

The 56-yard TD had MSU confused. Three receivers went left, including Talkington, and Smith stepped into Wildcat. Three DBs went with the receivers. O’Reilly and Danny U hurriedly switched spots but then both went way right toward the three DBs for some reason. Smith took the snap and went right and there was hardly anyone there except Okada.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

ThoughtUKnew14
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by ThoughtUKnew14 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:36 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:09 am
ThoughtUKnew14 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:02 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:46 pm
Worth noting; the talent drop off between Tommy and Chambers is very little (if at all). I am 💯 comfortable with either behind center unlike pretty much any season I can remember!
100% agree! I’ll take it one step further and say Chambers can be a much better passer than Tommy when he gets more snaps, gains confidence and becomes more comfortable.
I don't think so. Chambers is a leader and a winner. He can throw some beautiful passes..... but his passing is inconsistent, and it's been that way for five years. I'm super pumped that he's a Bobcat! TM has only started a few games, and his passing will only get better.
Time will tell. Personally, I don’t care which one emerges as the better passer…I just hope one does!

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:49 pm

Didn't want to start a new thread......

@EWU was most likely our toughest BSC road game this year. At this point it looks like our toughest opponents remaining are all at home.....UCD 10/1, WSU 10/22, & gris 11/19. The other 4 games are ISU 10/8, @UNC 10/15, @NAU 11/5, & @CP 11/12 ....of which I'd think @ NAU would be the toughest out of those 4. Although, in the BSC everyone is a 'good win'. We don't have to play Idaho or SSU during the regular season this year. Our 'bye' on Halloween weekend (10/29) comes at a pretty good time. For being in the BSC this year, our schedule is not too bad......at least not EWU bad.

Our 2nd road win at the inferno in as many years was a game we badly needed....WAY TO GO CATS!!!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:04 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:08 pm
My new takeaway is that teams are preying on (taking advantage of) MSU’s lack of experience. Of the big plays MSU’s given up, about half are due to some slight of hand or youthful exuberance.

The 31-yard run by the mcneese backup, the 38-yard fake punt by Morehead, the 56 and 28-yard TD runs by EWU.

Good read:

The 56-yard TD had MSU confused. Three receivers went left, including Talkington, and Smith stepped into Wildcat. Three DBs went with the receivers. O’Reilly and Danny U hurriedly switched spots but then both went way right toward the three DBs for some reason. Smith took the snap and went right and there was hardly anyone there except Okada.
Will be interesting to see if we can stop this trend going forward. Cool insight, though I don't like the information. :wink:

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:14 pm

Well, this team has two road wins against EWU in the last two years. That is as many road wins as we've had against them in the previous 30 years.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:53 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:49 pm
Didn't want to start a new thread......

@EWU was most likely our toughest BSC road game this year. At this point it looks like our toughest opponents remaining are all at home.....UCD 10/1, WSU 10/22, & gris 11/19. The other 4 games are ISU 10/8, @UNC 10/15, @NAU 11/5, & @CP 11/12 ....of which I'd think @ NAU would be the toughest out of those 4. Although, in the BSC everyone is a 'good win'. We don't have to play Idaho or SSU during the regular season this year. Our 'bye' on Halloween weekend (10/29) comes at a pretty good time. For being in the BSC this year, our schedule is not too bad......at least not EWU bad.

Our 2nd road win at the inferno in as many years was a game we badly needed....WAY TO GO CATS!!!
Absolutely... and I know every win is a good win and it's important to win every game but getting past EWU was monumental given our health and playing there..... and this Saturday is HUGE. If we can keep our record home winning streak alive and squeak past UCD anyway, anyhow - we'll be in excellent shape moving forward, hopefully getting healthy at the right time.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:16 pm

I wasnt able to watch the game and I finally made it through the highlights (its been a busy week). Its REALLY hard for me to tell if it was an interception. However, something I havent seen mentioned is that is was 4th down. At worst it was incomplete pass. Like someone mentioned, its nice to see something go our way on the rag. Big time win for the boys.

Hating the griz since 02.

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:55 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:08 pm

Good read:

D Cordinator referenced in interview EWU had two weeks to prepare and switched some things up. New formations, etc. Also sounded like we recognized but couldn't get calls in quickly and ended up out of position

Sports is not bigger than life