Cats vs. UC Davis predictions

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Cats vs. UC Davis predictions

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:00 pm

We've enjoyed the Eastern win, now on to UC Davis. Davis has a pretty good offense. I haven't seen them stretch the field a ton but they are creative and get their playmakers involved in many different ways. Stopping Gilliam is going to be key. They get him the ball on the edge a lot and he's shifty and powerful. Their D has been pretty solid so ours will have to step up come Saturday. Weber had a bit of success running late on Saturday but seemed to overthink the play calling halting some drives. I do think the power run game will pay divends, even if it's not early on. I expect a tight, hard fought game where we bruise and beat them down late and pull out the win.

Cats - 30
Aggies - 27

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: Cats vs. UC Davis predictions

Post by The MICKSTER » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:34 am

Some UC Davis stats thru 4 games
  • UCD’s opponents have been…@CAL (L 13-34), @South Dakota State (L 22-24), San Diego (W 43-13), Weber (L 12-17)
  • UCD QB Miles Hastings leads the BSC with 260 Y/G passing
  • UCD had 256 passing yards against Weber
  • UCD has averaged 400 Y/G offensively
  • UCD has allowed less Y/G on defense (343) than we have (362)
UCD's strength on offense matches our weakness on defense.......passing. Coach Dan Hawkins I think is going to be attacking our secondary from the initial snap throughout the game. I don't know how many plays our defense has given up over 20 yards this year, but it's been too many.....both running and passing. Unlike most years where EWU had the most potent passing attack in the BSC, this year I think it may be UCD. Weber & SDSU only rushed for 155 yards & 140 yards respectively against UCD.

I'm not trying to be 'Johnny Raincloud' by pointing out the negative, but when a team has what appears to be a pretty effective passing game and can hold teams like Weber and SDSU to ~150 yards rushing, that is a team that can cause some issues for the 2022 CATS right now.

Will we get Manning back? Will TM be able to play? Yet to be determined.........

UCD was +3 in turnovers at home and only scored 12 points vs Weber, but I don't think our defense is as good as Weber's right now. I do think an ESPN televised night game at home along with a tough battle at the inferno where we came away with a W will 'help propel' us to a win, but I think it'll be a nail-bitter......CATS 31 ucd 30 GO CATS!!!
Last edited by The MICKSTER on Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

RockyBearCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RockyBearCat » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:48 am

Cats 34-27

LoggerCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by LoggerCat » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:59 am

MSU 31
UCD 21

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:02 am

38 to 35..... Cats.

After re thinking..... probably be a lower scoring affair.
31 to 17 Cats.
Last edited by catatac on Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:20 am

28-24 Cats
I feel like it’ll be much closer than we’d like for the entire game.

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:48 am

EWU is not known as a great running team. but yet we let them get some good running yards against us.

UC Davis has a better running game than EWU has and has a decent QB. That makes me nervous about this game.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:00 am

I think UC Davis is a much better team than their record and this will be a very stiff test. They are an efficient passing team that forces you to tackle well on the outside. Our secondary and linebackers are going to have to be incredible tacklers in this game because they do a lot in the short passing game. Gilliam is one of the best overall RB's in the FCS and he's a big threat in both the run and pass game.

How do we win? Run the ball effectively and keep their offense off schedule. Sacking their QB isn't always easy as he gets rid of it quickly based on their scheme. If we want to get in a shootout with these guys, not sure we have the current makeup to do that...but you never know. They have a large interior defensive line so attacking their edges will have to come into play throughout the game.

Can we beat them? Absolutely...but it will likely be a wild game like last week.

Cats - 34
Hawkins University - 31

(We hold them from scoring a touchdown in our territory in the final minutes. We only score 34 because we miss an extra point. Defense gets a pick six or fumble recovery for a TD.)

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:03 am

This Davis team is no joke. They are 1-3 but they have played an FBS game and lost very close games to two top-10 FCS teams in SDSU and Weber.

Not to mention we probably have our starting QB out this week, who knows.

BUT big advantage to have this game at home.

I think the key will be to stick with the run game even though it might not get great results early. Our OC tends to outthink himself with the playcalling sometimes, but hopefully not this week.

CATS 27
Aggies 24
Last edited by 91catAlum on Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:04 am

This game doesn't get any easier than the last one. Maybe harder, because Davis matches up with us much better than EWU. Until we get healthy, every game we play is gonna come down to the wire. The offense is gonna have to figure out how to move the ball through the air; with only freshmen QBs behind Chambers and Tommy out for probably a couple weeks, I can't imagine we're gonna have Sean run as much as he's been doing. Defensively, I feel like the schemes we've been running don't match up to the talent we have on the field. Hoping that Garza can figure something out, or we're in trouble in the secondary...

Cats win another nail biter: 42-38

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:11 am

Camo_Cat wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:04 am
This game doesn't get any easier than the last one. Maybe harder, because Davis matches up with us much better than EWU. Until we get healthy, every game we play is gonna come down to the wire. The offense is gonna have to figure out how to move the ball through the air; with only freshmen QBs behind Chambers and Tommy out for probably a couple weeks, I can't imagine we're gonna have Sean run as much as he's been doing. Defensively, I feel like the schemes we've been running don't match up to the talent we have on the field. Hoping that Garza can figure something out, or we're in trouble in the secondary...

I agree with most of what you said, except the bold part. Even with key players out, this team will dominate ISU and UNCNCU... like Morehead State and Macneese style.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:13 am

catatac wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:11 am
Camo_Cat wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:04 am

I agree with most of what you said, except the bold part. Even with key players out, this team will dominate ISU and UNCNCU... like Morehead State and Macneese style.
Good point.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:52 pm

33-31cats

2024 Resume dominance

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:42 pm

MSU is giving up big plays on defense too much. Vigen was visibly upset after second long TD run in first few minutes. Run game good after that, but the damage was done. EWU gained 84 of their 148 rushing yards on two plays; the one big pass play accounted for 80 of EWU’s 201 passing yards. 3 plays 164 yards; 52 plays 185 yards.

This same kind of thing happened against McNeese and to a certain extent Oregon State.

Fix that: MSU 42, Davis 14
Unfixed: MSU 38, Davis 28

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:25 pm

Your Montana State Fighting Bobcats: 35
Wine Makers: 27

Crazy Saturday night in Bozo.

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

NC ag alum
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by NC ag alum » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:28 pm

Hello Cats fans. I am looking forward to traveling to Bozeman from North Carolina to watch the Aggies (my alma mater) take on the Bobcats. I still have no tickets from fuzzyseats (aka Vividseats) after purchasing them about 6 weeks ago -that experience has been very frustrating and I do not expect I'll have them prior to game time. Congratulations on your big win over EWU. Most Aggie fans have a similar opinion of EWU "elements" shall we say as most of you seem to have.

There are many on our discussion board that are not entirely sold on Hastings at QB. Insider info had him 3rd after fall camp. Maybe his best attribute is that he plays mostly within his limits. His stats look pretty good until you look at yards per pass attempt which is a quite pedestrian number. He throws a lot of quick short passes, and doesn't stretch the field much. Ulonzo Gilliam is the real deal. He is the Aggies best and most consistent weapon. Castles is a very good tight end and they often show a 12 package with Thorpe lining up as the other tight end. The defense has improved this year - two of the most productive starters (Buchanan at middle linebacker, and Rex Conners at rover) were out against Weber. That game left sort of a sour taste in many of our mouths with 3 missed field goals and red zone botches. As always, Weber's D is good.

Here's to a good, injury free contest. I hope Tommy Mellot is up and running soon. His head bouncing on that awful red turf was scary. We plan to check out the tailgating.
btw
grape grower (viticulturalist)
wine maker (enologist)..... I am neither

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:45 pm

Cats 38
Other 18

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:57 pm

Bobcats 28, Aggies 21. Book it. Our ground game gets one every quarter. Both defenses tighten up, mistakes are limited.

RMD
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by RMD » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:00 pm

34 - 17 CATS

TCcat 84
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by TCcat 84 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:09 pm

42- 35 MSU Bobcats