Portland Hotels

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Mrs TrackCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Portland Hotels

Post by Mrs TrackCat » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:25 pm

Does anyone have any advice on a decent hotel to stay at, close to Providence Park? The last time we were in Portland, we were advised not to walk around downtown, even in broad daylight. Thanks for any help!

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Portland Hotels

Post by PHAT CAT » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:03 pm

Mrs TrackCat wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:25 pm
Does anyone have any advice on a decent hotel to stay at, close to Providence Park? The last time we were in Portland, we were advised not to walk around downtown, even in broad daylight. Thanks for any help!
Hilton. I've stayed there a couple of times. You can walk or take a very short cab ride. I took a cab going to the game one time, because it was a downpour. I'm a big fan of safe hotels.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:04 pm

I've been to many games at Providence Park over the years. I have always walked around the neighborhood and had drinks lunches and dinners without ever a problem. Not sure about local hotels.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:05 pm

https://www.guestreservations.com/the-n ... e9df7c5116

The Nines hotel right downtown. Pretty high end. Easy walk to Providence Park and everything else downtown.
You got some bad advice. I've been perfectly safe walking around downtown Portland day or night many many times.

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:38 pm

There's a Hampton Inn at 9th and Everett...which is about 12 blocks from Providence...and best of all...just 2 blocks from Deschutes Brewery!! The Hotel Deluxe is nice and 2 blocks from Providence.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:06 pm

Dossier Hotel. Everythings $$$ I think I paid 250 here, seemed reasonable.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:06 pm

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:38 pm
There's a Hampton Inn at 9th and Everett...which is about 12 blocks from Providence...and best of all...just 2 blocks from Deschutes Brewery!! The Hotel Deluxe is nice and 2 blocks from Providence.
Hotel Deluxe is an old boutique hotel with a 50's Hollywood theme....super fun place.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:43 pm

Walking around Portland is no less safe than any other major city. Agree on the Hilton that another post mentioned, have stayed there a few times and always had good experiences.

Dmsubrew
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Dmsubrew » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:44 pm

I've lived in downtown billings. Nothing scares me now

Mrs TrackCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Mrs TrackCat » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:01 pm

Thanks everyone for all the helpful suggestions. I haven’t been to Portland in awhile, and I am not very familiar with the city. However, the last time, we were in Portland, we were advised by a law enforcement officer, for our safety, not to leave Union Station. We did observe nearby concerns. My brother worked in downtown Seattle for nearly twenty years, and does not speak very highly of the current situation there. I was just told by a friend, that Portland has even more problems than Seattle. Just repeating what I was told, but like anywhere I am sure, we need to be cautious.

Mrs TrackCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Mrs TrackCat » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:03 pm

Dmsubrew wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:44 pm
I bet ☹️. We are in Billings often.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:14 am

=;
Dmsubrew wrote:
Billings can be bad for it’s size that’s for damn sure. If you want to be a little puckered up, walk around downtown Denver, 16th street mall area, or downtown New York. Both are complete dumps now days. I imagine Seattle, Portland, SF, and LA are right on track to becoming ****** holes as well.

If your left, you aren’t right.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:21 am

Mrs TrackCat wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:01 pm
Thanks everyone for all the helpful suggestions. I haven’t been to Portland in awhile, and I am not very familiar with the city. However, the last time, we were in Portland, we were advised by a law enforcement officer, for our safety, not to leave Union Station. We did observe nearby concerns. My brother worked in downtown Seattle for nearly twenty years, and does not speak very highly of the current situation there. I was just told by a friend, that Portland has even more problems than Seattle. Just repeating what I was told, but like anywhere I am sure, we need to be cautious.
I'm not sure when you were last in Portland - there certainly were some intense and sometimes violent protests in there in the summer of 2020 that one would've been wise to stay well away from. I was in Portland for a few days earlier this summer walking all around the downtown area and saw none of that kind of activity happening. As with any other major city these days, there's a noticeable homeless population but not to the extent that ever made us feel unsafe walking around during the day. Voodoo Doughnuts, Powell's Books, and the Deschutes Brewery were just as great as always!

If your sole purpose in visiting is to go to the football game, I guess the best recommendations are to pick a well-reviewed hotel as close as possible to the stadium to minimize your need to travel around the city. There will be tens of thousands of football fans in the area of the stadium on gameday, so "safety in numbers" will be applicable as long as you don't hang around and stay out celebrating MSU's big win until the wee hours of the morning! Use common sense and be aware of your surroundings - if an area or group of people you see doesn't look safe, then find another way to get where you're going.

MSUBRONCO

Post by MSUBRONCO » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:06 am

I have started a discussion on the Oregon state page about the game im sure can add there bennyshouse.com
I didn't ask about hotels as I have a lot of family/"free hotels" in area https://bennyshouse.com/thread/21412/montana-state
Also you can stay outside of Portland and take the MAX is my plan

Also parking information in there

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:40 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:14 am
=;
Dmsubrew wrote:
Billings can be bad for it’s size that’s for damn sure. If you want to be a little puckered up, walk around downtown Denver, 16th street mall area, or downtown New York. Both are complete dumps now days. I imagine Seattle, Portland, SF, and LA are right on track to becoming ****** holes as well.
Portland no doubt has problems, but is coming back. I was downtown a couple of weekends ago....restaurants were full, lots of people on the street and a bustling atmosphere.

Counter Assault

Post by Counter Assault » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:08 am

I have worked/traveled to downtown Portland for 20+ years. There are some rough characters, but I would not be worried about walking around at all during the day and mostly at night. Lots of bums, tents and drugs, but zero happens during the day and through early evening. Later at night, I would avoid anywhere North of Morrison (Pioneer Square) and East of Broadway, particularly anywhere near Burnside, China town, train station and river area. Avoid Burnside overall. Anywhere in the Providence park area, NW core downtown, NW 23ed shopping area and Pearl District are good. Sentinel (old Governor) and Hotel Vance (newest overall) are the two nicer/reasonably priced options downtown and both a 10-15 min walk to Providence. Nines is nice , but usually expensive and right in near Pioneer Square, which can be rougher at night. Avoid Benson, Marriott Downtown. Hilton is old, but redone, also near PS, which I don’t like. Avoid hotels in the specified bad blocks above.

Some of my fav restaurants are Luc Lac, Toki, Mediterranean Exploration Company and Gilda’s Italian (right near stadium).
Last edited by Counter Assault on Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:33 am

Counter Assault wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:08 am
I have worked/traveled to downtown Portland for 20+ years. There are some rough characters, but I would not be worried about walking around at all during the day and mostly at night. Lots of bums, tents and drugs, but zero happens during the day and through early evening. Later at night, I would avoid anywhere North of Morrison (Pioneer Square) and East of Broadway, particularly anywhere near Burnside, China town, train station and river area. Avoid Burnside overall. Anywhere in the Providence park area, NW core downtown, NW 23ed shopping area and Pearl District are good. Sentinel (old Governor) and Hotel Vance (newest overall) are the two nicer/reasonably priced options downtown and both a 10-15 min walk to Providence. Nines is nice , but usually expensive and right in near Pioneer Square, which can be rougher at night. Avoid Benson, Marriott Downtown. Hilton is old, but redone, also near PS, which I don’t like. Avoid hotels in the specified bad blacks above.

Some of my fav restaurants are Luc Lac, Toki, Mediterranean Exploration Company and Gilda’s Italian (right near stadium).
Just wondering — what is the Portland State area like now? I used to go there for work. Stayed sometimes in a Marriott on the river or a Day’s Inn right near the campus. We walked out for dinners, toward downtown or sometimes over the hill to a floating seafood restaurant at the river. Daylight and early evening hours were totally non-threatening. It was much better than downtown Seattle at that time.

Counter Assault

Post by Counter Assault » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:40 am

PSU area is fine/good now, about the same. During the worst of the BLM/riot/Covid period there were lots of tents/bums in the park blocks in that area. There are def some bums hanging around there, but nothing crazy relative to the aforementioned areas. Many small restaurants and retails shops are closed all over downtown and never coming back. Commercial RE is upside down right now downtown.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:38 pm

Counter Assault wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:08 am
I have worked/traveled to downtown Portland for 20+ years. There are some rough characters, but I would not be worried about walking around at all during the day and mostly at night. Lots of bums, tents and drugs, but zero happens during the day and through early evening. Later at night, I would avoid anywhere North of Morrison (Pioneer Square) and East of Broadway, particularly anywhere near Burnside, China town, train station and river area. Avoid Burnside overall. Anywhere in the Providence park area, NW core downtown, NW 23ed shopping area and Pearl District are good. Sentinel (old Governor) and Hotel Vance (newest overall) are the two nicer/reasonably priced options downtown and both a 10-15 min walk to Providence. Nines is nice , but usually expensive and right in near Pioneer Square, which can be rougher at night. Avoid Benson, Marriott Downtown. Hilton is old, but redone, also near PS, which I don’t like. Avoid hotels in the specified bad blocks above.

Good info :thumbup:

hokeyfine

Post by hokeyfine » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:44 pm

Mrs TrackCat wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:01 pm
my son and wife live right next to union station(naito pkwy). we walk around there all the time. yes there are homeless, you just have to be smart about it. If you walk around scared, then you are an easy target(no matter where you go in the world).