Offseason Random Stuff - 2022

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Re: Offseason Random Stuff - 2022

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:24 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:01 pm
grizgirl wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:58 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:00 am
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:48 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:57 am
CodyCat wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:26 am
grizgirl wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:14 pm
PHAT CAT wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:18 pm
Bobby will never leave Montana again. As long as the Washington boy's are happy. He'll be the head coach at U of M. End of story.
Your theory fails for one reason: he doesn’t want to be the coach. He’ll be gone after this year or maybe (big maybe) next year.
Why do you think he is nearing the end of his tenure in Missoula? This is a sincere question. The gris fans I know, love him. He has done a good job turning the program around (in terms of wins and losses). So, honestly, why do you think he is gone in a season or two?
I'm curious about this as well. The dude walks on water in Missoula. He'd need several losing seasons in a row before they even started whispering a coaching change. So why does he hate it so bad now? Why did he come back in the first place if he doesn't want to be there? He makes great money. Coaches for a good program with strong fan support. And is basically Jesus in Missoula. He'd have to really suddenly hate it to walk away from that. :-k
I have gris fans (some season ticket holders) here at the brewery and I would have to disagree with you. The negativity on BH has gotten stronger lately.

I think that win vs the Cats last season really bought him some time. If they would have lost that one, 3 in a row for BH and 5 total, it could have really been bad for the grey and whine. They would have dropped out the playoff seeds and after the easier first round would have had to go to a Sac st or EWU and I'm not sure they win that to get to the qtr's. 3 in a row vs the Cats, an early playoff exit coupled with that fanbases irrational expectations and I think the grumbling would be very loud this season.

And while I can't believe i'm saying this, I'm glad we lost to the gris. BV might have had a harder time giving the keys to Tommy if we win a close one in missoula. Plus its my opinion that Bobby coaching the gris is a good thing. I think he is a fine coach, but I think his arrogance keeps him from being a great coach. They will be very good with him as coach with facilities, history, fanbase ect. but don't think they will be serious contenders. He inherited the best coaching job at this level and didn't screw it up but he never got to the end in the first go around. Now that he has had to build it himself and doesn't have every advantage over the entire division he's decent but not great. As long as he is there I think gris are to 10 but not top 5.
I see what you're saying. I know of some griz fans and even a few family members that are griz fans #-o that can't stand Bobby. But I'd bet a lot of money that if we could ever take a poll in Missoula, the vast majority are Bobby supporters. His personality resonates with griz fans. And he wins. I maintain that if he leaves it will be his decision. I think things would have to get very very bad for him to get run off. I just don't see it.

I do agree with you in regards to the conference as a whole though. Griz fans still think it's 2002. It's not a cakewalk to win the conference every year like his last tenure. I just can't envision a scenario where he doesn't coach them as long as HE wants to coach them.
You guys are talking about this as if its a fan thing. It has nothing to with whether the fans like him or not. Generally speaking old fans do and young fans don't. The fans aren't going to drive him out. But that's besides the point.

A big part of why he came back was to coach his son. His son will gone after this year. His son may be playing somewhere after this year and Bobby is going to be at those games. Another big part is that Bobby is old school and he knows his style doesn't fit with today's players. Another part is that he isn't the coach he once was. Another is that winning the BSC and getting a high seed isn't as easy as it used to be. And he's tired. You can see it in his demeanor.
Where will his son be playing after this year? Europe?
Beer league.

Dmsubrew
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Dmsubrew » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:30 pm

Bowling league. Thursday nights. Heard he is a lock

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:35 pm

grizgirl wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
CodyCat wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:
Bobby will never leave Montana again. As long as the Washington boy's are happy. He'll be the head coach at U of M. End of story.
Your theory fails for one reason: he doesn’t want to be the coach. He’ll be gone after this year or maybe (big maybe) next year.
Why do you think he is nearing the end of his tenure in Missoula? This is a sincere question. The gris fans I know, love him. He has done a good job turning the program around (in terms of wins and losses). So, honestly, why do you think he is gone in a season or two?
I'm curious about this as well. The dude walks on water in Missoula. He'd need several losing seasons in a row before they even started whispering a coaching change. So why does he hate it so bad now? Why did he come back in the first place if he doesn't want to be there? He makes great money. Coaches for a good program with strong fan support. And is basically Jesus in Missoula. He'd have to really suddenly hate it to walk away from that. :-k
I have gris fans (some season ticket holders) here at the brewery and I would have to disagree with you. The negativity on BH has gotten stronger lately.

I think that win vs the Cats last season really bought him some time. If they would have lost that one, 3 in a row for BH and 5 total, it could have really been bad for the grey and whine. They would have dropped out the playoff seeds and after the easier first round would have had to go to a Sac st or EWU and I'm not sure they win that to get to the qtr's. 3 in a row vs the Cats, an early playoff exit coupled with that fanbases irrational expectations and I think the grumbling would be very loud this season.

And while I can't believe i'm saying this, I'm glad we lost to the gris. BV might have had a harder time giving the keys to Tommy if we win a close one in missoula. Plus its my opinion that Bobby coaching the gris is a good thing. I think he is a fine coach, but I think his arrogance keeps him from being a great coach. They will be very good with him as coach with facilities, history, fanbase ect. but don't think they will be serious contenders. He inherited the best coaching job at this level and didn't screw it up but he never got to the end in the first go around. Now that he has had to build it himself and doesn't have every advantage over the entire division he's decent but not great. As long as he is there I think gris are to 10 but not top 5.
I see what you're saying. I know of some griz fans and even a few family members that are griz fans #-o that can't stand Bobby. But I'd bet a lot of money that if we could ever take a poll in Missoula, the vast majority are Bobby supporters. His personality resonates with griz fans. And he wins. I maintain that if he leaves it will be his decision. I think things would have to get very very bad for him to get run off. I just don't see it.

I do agree with you in regards to the conference as a whole though. Griz fans still think it's 2002. It's not a cakewalk to win the conference every year like his last tenure. I just can't envision a scenario where he doesn't coach them as long as HE wants to coach them.
You guys are talking about this as if its a fan thing. It has nothing to with whether the fans like him or not. Generally speaking old fans do and young fans don't. The fans aren't going to drive him out. But that's besides the point.

A big part of why he came back was to coach his son. His son will gone after this year. His son may be playing somewhere after this year and Bobby is going to be at those games. Another big part is that Bobby is old school and he knows his style doesn't fit with today's players. Another part is that he isn't the coach he once was. Another is that winning the BSC and getting a high seed isn't as easy as it used to be. And he's tired. You can see it in his demeanor.
I'm not talking about it like it's a fan thing. Fans don't do the hiring. As of today UM has hired Bobby not once, but twice. He obviously has the support of those that make the decisions.

Now, if everything else you say is true, then of course I'd agree he's done coaching. You obviously must know him personally and I don't so I won't argue those points. I just haven't seen anything reported that the reasons you listed above are the only reason he came back to UM.

But yes, I'll concede if he ONLY came back to UM to coach his son, and ONLY thought his style would still fly, and ONLY if he didn't know the league isn't what it was two decades ago, and is ACTUALLY tired of coaching...he will most definitely be done after this year and it should be pretty common knowledge. =D^

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:57 pm

Dmsubrew wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:30 pm
Bowling league. Thursday nights. Heard he is a lock
He's going to be the player-coach of the soon-to-be-resurrected Bozeman Kodiaks.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:01 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:35 pm
grizgirl wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
CodyCat wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:

I'm not talking about it like it's a fan thing. Fans don't do the hiring. As of today UM has hired Bobby not once, but twice. He obviously has the support of those that make the decisions.

Now, if everything else you say is true, then of course I'd agree he's done coaching. You obviously must know him personally and I don't so I won't argue those points. I just haven't seen anything reported that the reasons you listed above are the only reason he came back to UM.

But yes, I'll concede if he ONLY came back to UM to coach his son, and ONLY thought his style would still fly, and ONLY if he didn't know the league isn't what it was two decades ago, and is ACTUALLY tired of coaching...he will most definitely be done after this year and it should be pretty common knowledge. =D^
It all makes sense. Most of that is stuff we all talked about on here when he came back. He's not THAT good of a coach, he's not suited for the modern student-athlete, the league is better, etc. Even if it's all speculation, it's speculation based on some things everybody can see.

Here's a hot take you heard here first: Jerome Sauers will be the next head coach in Missoula. That's based on nothing besides me wondering why else he'd take on maybe the toughest rebuild in all of college football, in a town that's not the easiest to recruit to.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:06 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:01 pm
grizgirl wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
CodyCat wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:

Where will his son be playing after this year? Europe?
Robby has another year due to Covid. How crazy would it be to give 37 to Robby and then see him leave to play his final year of college somewhere else. Truly epitomizes the culture of that program with Bobby at the helm.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:12 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:01 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
CodyCat wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:

It all makes sense. Most of that is stuff we all talked about on here when he came back. He's not THAT good of a coach, he's not suited for the modern student-athlete, the league is better, etc. Even if it's all speculation, it's speculation based on some things everybody can see.

Here's a hot take you heard here first: Jerome Sauers will be the next head coach in Missoula. That's based on nothing besides me wondering why else he'd take on maybe the toughest rebuild in all of college football, in a town that's not the easiest to recruit to.
Here's another hot take: Barney replaces Bobbi. He already idolizes the guy and his son chose Missoula over PSU so he'd get to come to Missoula to coach his son.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:35 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
CodyCat wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:

For someone who’s not that good of a coach, he’s got a very good team. I hate to defend him, but I always call em like I see em, and Bobby is a dang good coach. Grade A prick too, and a media disaster, but the guy can coach football. And despite what some people like to think, the game hasn’t changed that much. Football is cyclical, people will attack whatever is easiest. As we see defenses go lighter and switch to defending the pass more, you’ll see a lot more diversified running attacks from offense. I’m getting off track though. Bobby is a good coach that will get to decide when he’s done. As for Jerome Sauers, why would the Gris hire him? They can do a lot better than him or Barnum. As much as I wish they weren’t, they’re still a nationally desired job. When that job is open, they’ll get excellent candidates.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:51 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:35 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
CodyCat wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:

For someone who’s not that good of a coach, he’s got a very good team. I hate to defend him, but I always call em like I see em, and Bobby is a dang good coach. Grade A prick too, and a media disaster, but the guy can coach football. And despite what some people like to think, the game hasn’t changed that much. Football is cyclical, people will attack whatever is easiest. As we see defenses go lighter and switch to defending the pass more, you’ll see a lot more diversified running attacks from offense. I’m getting off track though. Bobby is a good coach that will get to decide when he’s done. As for Jerome Sauers, why would the Gris hire him? They can do a lot better than him or Barnum. As much as I wish they weren’t, they’re still a nationally desired job. When that job is open, they’ll get excellent candidates.
I don’t know if Bobby is a good or a bad coach or something in between. He is in a great job though that has a huge advantage over other FCS programs. I do know when Bobby coached a different program, the results were much different. I’d like to see what he could do with something like a Portland State or Northern Colorado. Bring up a crappy program to big time success and then I’ll be a true believer.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:43 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:41 pm
Wow! I could save 1200 bucks a season for the same seats we have in Bozeman. "I must've of made a wrong turn at Albuquerque."
He loves Missoula. He loves Montana. He loves to fly fish. He loves to go on his summer trip with the boys into the Bob. A buddy of mine, is part of that group. He bought a house a couple down from where he lived before. He wishes he never sold his old house. I'm telling ya, he's not going any where. End of story.

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:59 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:43 pm
PHAT CAT wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:41 pm
Wow! I could save 1200 bucks a season for the same seats we have in Bozeman. "I must've of made a wrong turn at Albuquerque."
He loves Missoula. He loves Montana. He loves to fly fish. He loves to go on his summer trip with the boys into the Bob. A buddy of mine, is part of that group. He bought a house a couple down from where he lived before. He wishes he never sold his old house. I'm telling ya, he's not going any where. End of story.
Sorry. I grabbed the wrong post. But Bobby's not going to UNM Lobo's either.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:44 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:51 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
CodyCat wrote:
grizgirl wrote:

I don’t know if Bobby is a good or a bad coach or something in between. He is in a great job though that has a huge advantage over other FCS programs. I do know when Bobby coached a different program, the results were much different. I’d like to see what he could do with something like a Portland State or Northern Colorado. Bring up a crappy program to big time success and then I’ll be a true believer.
There have been zero coaches that have done well at UNLV. In fact, since the year 2000 they’ve had two winning seasons, and Bobby has one of those.

I don’t think he’s a great coach, but he’s certainly not a bad coach, that’s obvious. He’s a good coach, to me. That team is improving, bad coaches don’t do that. And, he was good enough for Rocky Long. If you’re good enough for Rocky Long, you’re good enough for me.

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:32 pm

AFCAT wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
CodyCat wrote:
grizgirl wrote:

This is how I see him too. While at UNLV he lost to two BSC teams with the advantage of being an FCS team. I don't think he's anything special as a coach and he's a terrible, disrespectful, pompous person from everything I have ever seen. He wasn't thought of very well when he was at Washington and I know that first hand.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:49 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:44 pm
AFCAT wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
CodyCat wrote:

There have been zero coaches that have done well at UNLV. In fact, since the year 2000 they’ve had two winning seasons, and Bobby has one of those.

I don’t think he’s a great coach, but he’s certainly not a bad coach, that’s obvious. He’s a good coach, to me. That team is improving, bad coaches don’t do that. And, he was good enough for Rocky Long. If you’re good enough for Rocky Long, you’re good enough for me.
This is what I don't get about all the UM coaches in the past 40 years. They are almost all great when at UM but average or not so great when they leave um. Why is that? Are they no longer great coaches? Did um buy some sort of magic beans? It's just bizarre. Glenn and Stitt did have success before um but not so much after.

Larry Donovan was the head coach at UM from 1980 – 1985. Larry had only one winning season in those five years.

Larry was replaced by Don Read. Don had a record of 69-91-1 (five total winning seasons) as a head coach until he came to UM where he then went 85-36. That’s a pretty amazing turn around. I don't believe Don has been a head coach since then.

Don was replaced by Mick Dennehy. Mick had a 10-12 record as a head coach before Missoula, but went 39-12 while the gris coach. After he left Missoula, he amassed only a 19-37 record at Utah State. Only one winning season as a head coach at a school other than um.

Mick was replaced by Joe Glenn, a successful coach before um, and had a stellar 39-6 record at Missoula, but at his follow-on head coaching assignments, his record was 42-75.

Joe was replaced by Bobby Hauck who went an amazing 80-17 at UM. However, when Bobby left UM, his record as a head coach at Nevada Las Vegas fell to 15-49, with that one winning season.

Robin Pflugrad was next up and he had a 13-7 record as UM head coach. Robin was fired and ended up as an assistant at Weber, Phoenix College, and NAU.

Mick Delaney came to UM after the Pflugrad fiasco. Mick had a mediocre record as a head coach before UM, amassing a 5-11-1 record at Western Montana. He was 24-14 at UM.

Bob Stitt was a fairly successful coach (108-62) before coming to UM and went 21-14 with the gris. He hasn't been a head coach since being let go.
Last edited by AFCAT on Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Post by 083190 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:21 pm

Dennis Washington! His stadium opening mirrored Read's tenure and it was well ahead of next best in the west for I-AA. Over time more schools have invested in their facilities and programs and closed the gap. When the coaches mentioned moved on, they didn't have the resource advantage they had at that time in Missoula. Just like the FBS conference realignments, it's all about the money!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:27 pm

083190 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:21 pm
Dennis Washington! His stadium opening mirrored Read's tenure and it was well ahead of next best in the west for I-AA. Over time more schools have invested in their facilities and programs and closed the gap. When the coaches mentioned moved on, they didn't have the resource advantage they had at that time in Missoula. Just like the FBS conference realignments, it's all about the money!
I also think that's a huge reason for their success....money. Money makes a lot of their coaches look brilliant.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:36 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:

I'm with you BB. You don't have the success he's had, even at UM, without being a pretty damn good coach. And old-school or not, his players seem to be willing to run through walls for him. I always respect that.

RockyBearCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RockyBearCat » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:53 am

I think this is the time where someone should say, "He better not change the tradition, he will lose the locker room."

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:44 am

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:27 pm
083190 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:21 pm
I also think that's a huge reason for their success....money. Money makes a lot of their coaches look brilliant.
NDSU coaches haven't done anything earth shattering either. Maybe not quite so bad, but they certainly haven't had nearly the success at the FBS level:
Klieman NDSU 69-6 (4 national championships) 5 seasons
Kansas State 20-16 (bowls 1-1) 3 seasons
Bohl NDSU 104-32 (3 national championships) 6 seasons
Wyoming 45-50 (bowls 3-1) 8 seasons

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:53 am

If the argument is that the facilities make the coach, then I hope those same people are willing to say that Choate and Vigen aren’t good coaches either. There’s no doubt that facilities make a huge impact on recruiting and training, but cmon. The logic being employed is here is neither good or consistent. Also, quit making me defend Bobby. I hate it.