Offseason Random Stuff - 2022

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Offseason Random Stuff - 2022

Post by Montanabob » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:10 am

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:47 am

Montanabob wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:10 am
Must suck to be UNM lobos
https://golobos.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncom ... -athletics
I dont think this situation is that rare, especially in most G5 programs. I think what should be looked at is how lucky we are to have what we have at Montana State. Heck, at UM as well. We are very very fortunate that football is such a big deal in this state.

Hating the griz since 02.

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:41 pm

Wow! I could save 1200 bucks a season for the same seats we have in Bozeman. "I must've of made a wrong turn at Albuquerque."

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:27 pm

No surprise here. Ifanse the best 22 in the nation and best FCS back.

https://herosports.com/fcs-football-202 ... anse-bzbz/

grizgirl

Post by grizgirl » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:14 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:18 pm
Bobby will never leave Montana again. As long as the Washington boy's are happy. He'll be the head coach at U of M. End of story.
Your theory fails for one reason: he doesn’t want to be the coach. He’ll be gone after this year or maybe (big maybe) next year.

Go Dark Brandon!!

grizgirl

Post by grizgirl » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:17 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:46 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:25 pm
grizgirl wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:04 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:35 pm
jgrilley406 wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:16 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:46 am
BozoneCat wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:43 pm
Common Cat wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:06 pm
Common Cat wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:03 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:57 pm

Agreed. He’s hot garbage. Our 3rd string is better than him.
I mean that’s a bit of a stretch. He’s a good player.
And btw- don’t ever make me defend RH again - it made me feel ew.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hot garbage might be a little superfluous, but I just don't think he's very good. I really don't think he'd make our 2-deep. He does fit into their system pretty well, and I'm pretty sure Bobby likes to make it work for him, nepotism be damned. But the awards and all that is just a joke.
I mostly agree with you. My biggest impressions of lil' Hauck are from Cat-griz games since I don't watch a ton of griz games... most notably the 2019 Cat griz game in Bozeman where lil' Hauck was absolutely terrible. At least half of the TDs we scored (and there were a lot of them) were directly the result of Hauck taking a bad angle to the ball carrier. Maybe he's improved since that game, I don't know, but he was horrible then.

Here's a great example of what I mean, Hauck is the deep safety:
No it happens a lot…even watch the game against JMU, every long TD they had one was a run even the other was a pass and can’t remember which one but when ESPN came back from commercial break after the TD they broke down the play and even circled Hauck and said he was out of position…he’s an undersized LB playing safety, what I don’t get is since he loves making tackles so much and he struggles in coverage, why don’t they put him as the nickel back and play closer to the line and put in a more proven coverage safety up top.
You are so correct! Playing him as a nickel closer to the line seems like a great idea, but he has terrible cover skills for pass plays.

If they kept a missed tackle stat, I am guessing that Hauck would lead the league.
Coach Hauck has very little energy. What energy he does have he and his assistants use to constantly cuss out the players. He’s done after this year. Bookmark it. He only came back to coach his son. It’s an awkward situation all the way around.
You and I don’t agree on politics, but I love your football insight and acumen.

I have never been a fan of Bobby. I had a tremendous amount of respect for Don Read, Joe Glenn and even Delaney. They just seemed to be good guys who treated kids fairly.
In one of his recent interviews, perhaps from media day, with Nuanez, BH mentioned he’s having the most fun coaching right now as he’s ever had. Something is incongruent.
Because he’s coaching his son and knows he’s retiring soon. I’ll be having fun during my last year on the job too.

Go Dark Brandon!!

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:26 am

grizgirl wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:14 pm
PHAT CAT wrote:
Bobby will never leave Montana again. As long as the Washington boy's are happy. He'll be the head coach at U of M. End of story.
Your theory fails for one reason: he doesn’t want to be the coach. He’ll be gone after this year or maybe (big maybe) next year.
Why do you think he is nearing the end of his tenure in Missoula? This is a sincere question. The gris fans I know, love him. He has done a good job turning the program around (in terms of wins and losses). So, honestly, why do you think he is gone in a season or two?

Hating the griz since 02.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:57 am

CodyCat wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:26 am
grizgirl wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:
Why do you think he is nearing the end of his tenure in Missoula? This is a sincere question. The gris fans I know, love him. He has done a good job turning the program around (in terms of wins and losses). So, honestly, why do you think he is gone in a season or two?
I'm curious about this as well. The dude walks on water in Missoula. He'd need several losing seasons in a row before they even started whispering a coaching change. So why does he hate it so bad now? Why did he come back in the first place if he doesn't want to be there? He makes great money. Coaches for a good program with strong fan support. And is basically Jesus in Missoula. He'd have to really suddenly hate it to walk away from that. :-k

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:39 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:57 am
CodyCat wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:
I'm curious about this as well. The dude walks on water in Missoula. He'd need several losing seasons in a row before they even started whispering a coaching change. So why does he hate it so bad now? Why did he come back in the first place if he doesn't want to be there? He makes great money. Coaches for a good program with strong fan support. And is basically Jesus in Missoula. He'd have to really suddenly hate it to walk away from that. :-k
I think he will stay longer too. But BH is on a much shorter leash now than he was before. The base is still there for him but there is a lot of opposition to him from some faculty and students. The culture he had in his first go around, the things that happed after he left and the current discrimination lawsuits make it a difficult place for him to do what he wants. It isn't all his doing but his history feeds into it in a place that is looking for witches' to hunt. One incident from the football team and that place could blow up.

I think he is a good coach but he can only keep his real self bottled up so so long. After Robby graduates he could loosen up and make the mistake that could be his undoing.

I'm sure he wants a NC banner to hang before he leaves, he has been so close so many times but hasn't ever closed the deal. Its tougher now than his last go around though, the BSC is much deeper, the whole recruiting/transfer landscape has changed and of course the big dog (NDSU) is out there looking like an almost insurmountable task. I don't think he leaves until there is some kind of incident.
Last edited by cats2506 on Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:39 am

CodyCat wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:
I’m not sure GrizGirl has ever said a positive thing about the Gris for as long as she’s been posting here. I’d take it with a grain of salt.

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:48 am

ilovethecats wrote:
CodyCat wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:
I have gris fans (some season ticket holders) here at the brewery and I would have to disagree with you. The negativity on BH has gotten stronger lately.

I think that win vs the Cats last season really bought him some time. If they would have lost that one, 3 in a row for BH and 5 total, it could have really been bad for the grey and whine. They would have dropped out the playoff seeds and after the easier first round would have had to go to a Sac st or EWU and I'm not sure they win that to get to the qtr's. 3 in a row vs the Cats, an early playoff exit coupled with that fanbases irrational expectations and I think the grumbling would be very loud this season.

And while I can't believe i'm saying this, I'm glad we lost to the gris. BV might have had a harder time giving the keys to Tommy if we win a close one in missoula. Plus its my opinion that Bobby coaching the gris is a good thing. I think he is a fine coach, but I think his arrogance keeps him from being a great coach. They will be very good with him as coach with facilities, history, fanbase ect. but don't think they will be serious contenders. He inherited the best coaching job at this level and didn't screw it up but he never got to the end in the first go around. Now that he has had to build it himself and doesn't have every advantage over the entire division he's decent but not great. As long as he is there I think gris are to 10 but not top 5.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:27 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:48 am
ilovethecats wrote:
CodyCat wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:
I have gris fans (some season ticket holders) here at the brewery and I would have to disagree with you. The negativity on BH has gotten stronger lately.

I think that win vs the Cats last season really bought him some time. If they would have lost that one, 3 in a row for BH and 5 total, it could have really been bad for the grey and whine. They would have dropped out the playoff seeds and after the easier first round would have had to go to a Sac st or EWU and I'm not sure they win that to get to the qtr's. 3 in a row vs the Cats, an early playoff exit coupled with that fanbases irrational expectations and I think the grumbling would be very loud this season.

And while I can't believe i'm saying this, I'm glad we lost to the gris. BV might have had a harder time giving the keys to Tommy if we win a close one in missoula. Plus its my opinion that Bobby coaching the gris is a good thing. I think he is a fine coach, but I think his arrogance keeps him from being a great coach. They will be very good with him as coach with facilities, history, fanbase ect. but don't think they will be serious contenders. He inherited the best coaching job at this level and didn't screw it up but he never got to the end in the first go around. Now that he has had to build it himself and doesn't have every advantage over the entire division he's decent but not great. As long as he is there I think gris are to 10 but not top 5.
You make a good point about how our performance in the Cat/griz game really baled them out and earned him more time. I'm not sure he's close to leaving though, whether on his own or from being fired. The only way he gets fired is a scandal and/or consecutive years of missing the playoffs. The first one is much more likely than the second but also not very likely because the team will keep winning and the scandal would have to be big to overcome that.

He's arrogant with the media but what is he like with his staff/players? They still pull in quality out of state recruits so he's probably not as bad on the field as he comes off publicly. I know nothing about him besides his Cat/griz pre- and postgame interviews so maybe he's as bad as he seems but he also probably knows this job is the peak of his career. He could still get an FBS job of some kind but he wouldn't enjoy it as much.

As much as we all hate him, he's great for the rivalry, for both sides. Good coach, great bad guy. I don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:00 am

Prodigal Cat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
CodyCat wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:

I see what you're saying. I know of some griz fans and even a few family members that are griz fans #-o that can't stand Bobby. But I'd bet a lot of money that if we could ever take a poll in Missoula, the vast majority are Bobby supporters. His personality resonates with griz fans. And he wins. I maintain that if he leaves it will be his decision. I think things would have to get very very bad for him to get run off. I just don't see it.

I do agree with you in regards to the conference as a whole though. Griz fans still think it's 2002. It's not a cakewalk to win the conference every year like his last tenure. I just can't envision a scenario where he doesn't coach them as long as HE wants to coach them.

stevo
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by stevo » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:27 pm

Got this from the Quarterback club today.
""The East Bleachers will be closed at practice till the end of next week, due to painting. Please use the Press Box side to watch practice.
Thank you
The Bobcat Quarterback Club Team"

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:31 pm

stevo wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:27 pm
""The East Bleachers will be closed at practice till the end of next week, due to painting. Please use the Press Box side to watch practice.
Thank you
If they paint them a different color every couple years people will forget they need to be replaced!

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:53 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:31 pm
stevo wrote:
Thank you
If they paint them a different color every couple years people will forget they need to be replaced!
Yes, until they are reminded when the first 5 people slip on the steps after our first snow game.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:41 pm

gtapp wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:53 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:31 pm
stevo wrote:
Thank you
Yes, until they are reminded when the first 5 people slip on the steps after our first snow game.
....5 people and 17 broken bones. Gotta drag those people on the aisle down with ya....

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

grizgirl

Post by grizgirl » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:58 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:00 am
Prodigal Cat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
CodyCat wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:

I see what you're saying. I know of some griz fans and even a few family members that are griz fans #-o that can't stand Bobby. But I'd bet a lot of money that if we could ever take a poll in Missoula, the vast majority are Bobby supporters. His personality resonates with griz fans. And he wins. I maintain that if he leaves it will be his decision. I think things would have to get very very bad for him to get run off. I just don't see it.

I do agree with you in regards to the conference as a whole though. Griz fans still think it's 2002. It's not a cakewalk to win the conference every year like his last tenure. I just can't envision a scenario where he doesn't coach them as long as HE wants to coach them.
You guys are talking about this as if its a fan thing. It has nothing to with whether the fans like him or not. Generally speaking old fans do and young fans don't. The fans aren't going to drive him out. But that's besides the point.

A big part of why he came back was to coach his son. His son will gone after this year. His son may be playing somewhere after this year and Bobby is going to be at those games. Another big part is that Bobby is old school and he knows his style doesn't fit with today's players. Another part is that he isn't the coach he once was. Another is that winning the BSC and getting a high seed isn't as easy as it used to be. And he's tired. You can see it in his demeanor.

Go Dark Brandon!!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:01 pm

grizgirl wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:58 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
CodyCat wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:

You guys are talking about this as if its a fan thing. It has nothing to with whether the fans like him or not. Generally speaking old fans do and young fans don't. The fans aren't going to drive him out. But that's besides the point.

A big part of why he came back was to coach his son. His son will gone after this year. His son may be playing somewhere after this year and Bobby is going to be at those games. Another big part is that Bobby is old school and he knows his style doesn't fit with today's players. Another part is that he isn't the coach he once was. Another is that winning the BSC and getting a high seed isn't as easy as it used to be. And he's tired. You can see it in his demeanor.
Where will his son be playing after this year? Europe?

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:10 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:01 pm
grizgirl wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:58 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
CodyCat wrote:
grizgirl wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:

Where will his son be playing after this year? Europe?
Billings Outlaws? Bobbi could continue coaching and still drive over for games.