USC UCLA moving to the Big 10

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Re: USC UCLA moving to the Big 10

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:54 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:32 am
The ACC is going to do everything they can to be a super conference as well. Notre Dame will be the decider. If they make the decision to join a conference it will be either the Big 10 or ACC. The ACC has a leg up since they already play in the conference for basketball and play 5 ACC schools a year in football. Don't forget the Big 10, namely Michigan and OSU, told Notre Dame to shove it when they were looking at scheduling out their yearly rivalry games several years ago. So did USC.
The ACC can't do anything because their television contract runs through 2036. This article discusses a bit of what you address reference Notre Dame:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... s-cfp-more

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:33 pm

This shakeup will ultimately ruin college football. The traditional rival games, the playoff games and out of conference interesting matchups will not be the same.
I think most of the schools at our level should drop football and add in more students athlete friendly sports such as baseball, hockey and wrestling.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:31 pm

seataccat wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:33 pm
This shakeup will ultimately ruin college football. The traditional rival games, the playoff games and out of conference interesting matchups will not be the same.
I think most of the schools at our level should drop football and add in more students athlete friendly sports such as baseball, hockey and wrestling.
That there is crazy talk!!!

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:02 pm

Yea, I'm sure we could become a great baseball school. All we need is an indoor stadium!

2024 Resume dominance

seataccat

Post by seataccat » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:35 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:02 pm
Yea, I'm sure we could become a great baseball school. All we need is an indoor stadium!
Our wrestling team was borderline top 25 when it got the ax due to title IX.

Voltaire

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:15 pm

seataccat wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:35 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:02 pm
Our wrestling team was borderline top 25 when it got the ax due to title IX.
The baseball team was decent too. Now, who can't be impressed with the ski teams, the track and field teams (hope our cross country program can get after Northern Arizona) and Rodeo are back. But, as a department we need our football program to continue to thrive (in spite of the Board of Regents).

Once we had National Championship Rifle teams. Can't remember if the Bowling Team was Club or not. Our school got screwed by the Board of Regents and now there's not a damn thing they can do to stop the upward trajectory of this athletic department and school. Just as there's one hell of a lot of money in Jackson, Wyoming, for the Cowboys, so too is Waded tapping the real deep pockets in Big Sky.

What is going to be left of the pac 8 will in all probability be an inferior conference to the mountain west. They can't survive without the LA television market and Phil Knight is getting on in years...Washington's financial situation is dire and who the hell wants to associate with Cal Berkley or Stanford? Left leaning hippies who hate football players?

Travelingcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Travelingcat » Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:08 pm

Would love to see us and Montana in the Mountain West.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:58 pm

Travelingcat wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:08 pm
In the simplest form, this is how I feel. It would a great regional conference. A bonus not many are thinking of right now would be for our men's basketball team. Going to a bigger conference would give us a better chance of making the tourney each year. No longer would you have to win the tourney to get a bid.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:11 pm

Before everyone falls in love with an FBS conference membership, there are serious fiscal questions that must be addressed. For example, more scholarships must be funded, our stadium would require another capacity expansion to meet FBS requirements, more scholarship sports must be added, money must be allocated for full cost of attendance to stay competitive, increased compensation to coaches and admin, and also expanded coaching staffs. A move to the Mountain West sounds attractive, but it could saddle MSU with staggering costs that hurt the university. While UM has a great stadium, their university and athletics programs both have serious financial issues today. Adding more expense to an already struggling UM institution seems to be a really bad idea.

And as a fan, are you prepared to pay significantly more for sports? That will happen if we join the Mountain West. The Mountain West does not have a lucrative TV deal like the PAC 12.

4KornerKat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 4KornerKat » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:13 pm

I think I might prefer a scenario where the mountain west and pac 12 fall apart, big sky picks up Washington state, Oregon state, Utah state, Colorado state and Wyoming and becomes a solid G5 conference. Davis, CP Slo, sac, and NAU could join WAC and pick up AZ/ASU and the rest of the PAC12/MWC remnants, or maybe they reform the SWC. Let Big 10/SEC be the major national conferences, and G5 go back to regional conferences, possible even in an in between division, up from FCS but not professional college football.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:51 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:11 pm
Before everyone falls in love with an FBS conference membership, there are serious fiscal questions that must be addressed. For example, more scholarships must be funded, our stadium would require another capacity expansion to meet FBS requirements, more scholarship sports must be added, money must be allocated for full cost of attendance to stay competitive, increased compensation to coaches and admin, and also expanded coaching staffs. A move to the Mountain West sounds attractive, but it could saddle MSU with staggering costs that hurt the university. While UM has a great stadium, their university and athletics programs both have serious financial issues today. Adding more expense to an already struggling UM institution seems to be a really bad idea.

And as a fan, are you prepared to pay significantly more for sports? That will happen if we join the Mountain West. The Mountain West does not have a lucrative TV deal like the PAC 12.
Just a comment, our stadium already meets FBS standards and is larger than a lot of FBS locations. The other thing is they haven't enforced the attendance/s stadium size in about two decades.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:48 pm

Travelingcat wrote:
Only if they add the playoffs somehow. A smaller conference playoff or whatever.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:40 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:48 pm
Travelingcat wrote:
Only if they add the playoffs somehow. A smaller conference playoff or whatever.
This. Cheering for a team to go 7-5 and make it to the Idaho Potato Bowl is not what I want.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:58 pm

catgrad05 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:44 am
MSU01 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:55 am
It seems pretty obvious that the Big 10 is not done raiding the Pac 12. I saw one of the national writers on Twitter say he thinks the SEC and Big 10 are both going to end up with 20+ team super-conferences. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Big 10 go after Washington, Oregon, Stanford, Cal, and maybe even WSU and OSU to create a western division and totally dominate the midwest and west coast. Then the SEC could go after what's left of the Big 12 and maybe even the Arizona schools, Colorado, and Utah to dominate the southwest and southeast.

Will the FCS division even exist five or ten years from now?

I could easily see Washington and Oregon joining the Big Ten. But to get to 20 teams they probably pick up a couple ACC teams instead of more PAC 12
Notre Dame and Stanford along with UO and UW.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:27 am

This 'Cat fan doesn't want to go anywhere there isn't a chance to win a national championship and the best we could hope for is a December 19 game in the Tater Bowl.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:39 am

The $4million/year MWC TV contract would help. But, we would basically have to double the current budget.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:41 am

PapaG wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:58 pm
catgrad05 wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
It seems pretty obvious that the Big 10 is not done raiding the Pac 12. I saw one of the national writers on Twitter say he thinks the SEC and Big 10 are both going to end up with 20+ team super-conferences. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Big 10 go after Washington, Oregon, Stanford, Cal, and maybe even WSU and OSU to create a western division and totally dominate the midwest and west coast. Then the SEC could go after what's left of the Big 12 and maybe even the Arizona schools, Colorado, and Utah to dominate the southwest and southeast.

I could easily see Washington and Oregon joining the Big Ten. But to get to 20 teams they probably pick up a couple ACC teams instead of more PAC 12
Notre Dame, AZ, ASU and Utah to the BIG 10. Cal, Stanford, the Big Zero unaffectionly known as Phil Knight college, Wazzu and Dub to the BIG 12.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:09 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:39 am
The $4million/year MWC TV contract would help. But, we would basically have to double the current budget.
It would, but if the big metro area schools like CSU, SDSU, UNLV and even Boise leave, I would guess that Fox/CBS will not want to pay $4 million a year per school anymore.

seataccat

Post by seataccat » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:10 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:41 am
PapaG wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

Notre Dame, AZ, ASU and Utah to the BIG 10. Cal, Stanford, the Big Zero unaffectionly known as Phil Knight college, Wazzu and Dub to the BIG 12.
Nope, UW and UO are going to the big 10 with USC and UCLA.

Voltaire

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:09 pm

seataccat wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:10 am
Cat Grad wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:41 am
PapaG wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:
MSU01 wrote:

Nope, UW and UO are going to the big 10 with USC and UCLA.
Do you really think the BIG 10 wants Wazzu and Oregon State? They're joined at the hip and it's all four or none if I read the Oregon and Washington "laws" correctly. But, who in Cal Berkley thought little Brother would leave without them?