Top 10 plays in Bobcat History

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

John K
Golden Bobcat

Top 10 plays in Bobcat History

Post by John K » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:27 am

I recently watched a series about the top 100 plays in NFL history, and I enjoyed the thread about top 10 players in Bobcat history, so I thought it might be fun to compile a list of the top 10 plays in MSU history. Here is my list, in no particular order. I know there are probably several plays that deserve to be on this list ahead of some of the ones I listed, but these are the ones that came immediately to mind. Plus I tried to include a few that may have already been forgotten by most fans, but nonetheless were very important in the history of Bobcat football.

1. Joe Roberts' 97 yard INT return in the national SF game against Rhode Island in 1984, plus the ensuing fumble recovery that led to the clinching TD
2. The "fumble/goal line stand" in the 2018 Cat-Griz game
3. Lulay to Adams in the 2002 Cat-Griz game
4. Corey Smith's TD return on the opening kickoff of the 2003 Cat-Griz game
5. Jessie Jones' 80 yard TD reception for the winning score in the final two minutes against Boise State in 1984
6. Akpla's catch against SHSU in the 2011 QF. It wasn't very meaningful, as we lost 49-13, but it was maybe the most spectacular play in MSU history
7. Combining several plays into one...Lulay's heroics against NAU in 2003, when he accounted for every single yard in 2 TD drives in the final 1:03, to pull out a miraculous win after MSU fell behind 17-7.
8. Kenneth Qualls' 53 yard INT return at the end of the ist half in the 2003 Cat-Griz game. That gave us a 13-10 lead at halftime, and completely reversed the momentum of the game. The Griz had totally dominated the 1st half, but combined with Smith's KO return, we had the lead going into halftime. Starting with that play, MSU scored 21 consecutive points and built a 27-10 lead, before the Griz came back late in the game to make it close
9. Beau Clark's back to back sacks in the 2nd quarter of the 2003 Cat-Griz game. The Griz were knocking on the door of scoring another TD, but those sacks forced them into a FG attempt. I don't remember if they made the FG or not, but just keeping them out of the EZ was another huge momentum changer in that game.
10. The tipped XP attempt at the end of the New Hampshire game in the 2011playoffs, that allowed the Cats to eke out a 27-26 win, after allowing them a late TD that should have tied it up. That win sent us to the quarterfinals for only the 2nd time in 27 years.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Top 10 plays in Bobcat History

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:49 am

Good list, I submit this:

Orenzo Davis crazy TD run in the 2010 Cat/Griz victory in Missoula:

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:00 pm

Just like trying to choose an all time list of players, it’s an impossible task.

Heck, the fumble in Missoula over shadows (edited) Collins fumble recovery that set up the Logan Jones go ahead touchdown in that game. Without those two plays, the ending fumble recovery doesn’t happen. Still a huge play, but the others were just as important.

Just one year in 1984. Each play was important to how that season turned out.
Jesse Jones big catch and run to beat Boise State.
The overtime catch to beat Nevada Reno.
Bignells catch and run to beat Fresno State and catapult the Cats into the top 2 in the nation.

I’m sure there are plenty from 1976 that proved crucial too.

My list could be in the hundreds.
Last edited by AFCAT on Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:10 pm

A couple of incredible plays in Cat Griz that set the tone for victories. The long Nick Lasane run where he stiffarmed defenders and broke multiple tackles to the 4 yard line in the 2016 game. And the huge hit and fumble at the beginning of the 2019 Cat Gris game which led to a curb stomping of the Gris.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:15 pm

Good list, the only play I'd definitively put in my Top 10 that hasn't been mentioned yet is Chris Murray's TD run in the 2016 Cat Griz game where he hurdled over the Griz defender and did a front flip into the end zone. After a tough 2016 season I think that play really set the tone for that win as well as the Choate era moving forward.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:34 pm

Chris Murrays play action pass for a completion late in the 2016 cat/gris game. I think that was his only completed pass of the day?

Hating the griz since 02.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:37 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:00 pm
Just like trying to choose an all time list of players, it’s an impossible task.

Heck, the fumble in Missoula over shadows Braydon Konkols fumble recovery that set up the Logan Jones go ahead touchdown in that game. Without those two plays, the ending fumble recovery doesn’t happen. Still a huge play, but the others were just as important.

Just one year in 1984. Each play was important to how that season turned out.
Jesse Jones big catch and run to beat Boise State.
The overtime catch to beat Nevada Reno.
Bignells catch and run to beat Fresno State and catapult the Cats into the top 2 in the nation.

I’m sure there are plenty from 1976 that proved crucial too.

My list could be in the hundreds.
You're right, it is an impossible list if you're talking about the most meaningful plays. Every play matters, and you could take at least 20 from any big win. But I do think it's fun to think about the most memorable plays. Some are memorable because they're meaningful, others are memorable because they're spectacular. OD's run in 2010 is memorable, as is the goal line stand in 2018, TA's 4th down stop last year against SDSU, Or Corey Smith in 2003, the Akpla catch, Mac Bignell's hit against...I can't remember who. There are highlight reel plays and meaningful plays, so maybe the highlight reel plays would be a more possible list.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:42 pm

CodyCat wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:34 pm
Chris Murrays play action pass for a completion late in the 2016 cat/gris game. I think that was his only completed pass of the day?
He had two completions, one to Herbert and that final one to Sullivan.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:50 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:42 pm
CodyCat wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:34 pm
He had two completions, one to Herbert and that final one to Sullivan.
Thats right! I know it wont go down as one of the top plays. But, in that moment, as I sat in that endzone, I thought to myself, that might be one of the biggest plays in Cat/gris history. Nobody and I mean nobody expected that.

Hating the griz since 02.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:33 pm

Mellot’s dime to Willie P in the Sam Houston game this year.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:40 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:33 pm
Willie P's dime to Mellot in the Sam Houston game this year. :)

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:49 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:40 pm
Common Cat wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:33 pm
Willie P's dime to Mellot in the Sam Houston game this year. :)
I know that play/prediction is the highlight of my long, storied bobcatnation posting career.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:45 pm

My favorite play was Les Leninger breaking through the line to bat the qb pass into the air, catch it and run for a TD. We were playing NAU in 76 for the BSC conf championship and at the end of the first half of a close game NAU threw into the end zone incomplete with no time on the clock. PI penalty. One untimed down. Les's TD gave MSU the momentum it needed.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:14 pm

I mean…. How can you beat the cat-griz goal line stand, to complete the crazy comeback and win the game in Missoula on the last play of the game with seconds left…

“THE BALL IS OUT!…. THE BOBCATS HOLD! THE BOBCATS HOLD!!!”

FTG- GO CATS GO!

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:17 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:14 pm
I mean…. How can you beat the cat-griz goal line stand, to complete the crazy comeback and win the game in Missoula on the last play of the game with seconds left…

“THE BALL IS OUT!…. THE BOBCATS HOLD! THE BOBCATS HOLD!!!”
Well there were 2 more plays after... ;-p

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

ragucat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by ragucat » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:58 pm

Paul Schaeffer dive into the end zone in Cat/griz 1968 for the win after being down three scores with 9 minutes left in the game

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:11 pm

ragucat wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:58 pm
Paul Schaeffer dive into the end zone in Cat/griz 1968 for the win after being down three scores with 9 minutes left in the game

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:25 am

gtapp wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:45 pm
My favorite play was Les Leninger breaking through the line to bat the qb pass into the air, catch it and run for a TD. We were playing NAU in 76 for the BSC conf championship and at the end of the first half of a close game NAU threw into the end zone incomplete with no time on the clock. PI penalty. One untimed down. Les's TD gave MSU the momentum it needed.
How many TD's did Les have in his career? I remember the one in the 76 national championship game. I didn't know of others.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

BgCATfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BgCATfan » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:58 am

I think Troy Andersons stop on 4th and short early in the game against SDSU last year. I think that set the tone for the game. That game was the most fun I've ever had at any game.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:47 am

ragucat wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:58 pm
To me, the kid from Oklahoma who caught Ron Baines from behind inside the Cat 10 yard line with one second left in the game was the single greatest play of that game. Schafer was unbelievable and there's no way he would have even been on the field in today's game. The staples keeping his arm in place worked loose all through the game, his knees and ankles were a mess...