McNeese state

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: McNeese state

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:15 am

D-Wreck wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:31 am
BobcatDel wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:49 pm
- ever had crawfish served by the grain shovel scoop on a pleasant spring day in Hackberry?
We're talking like a normal ol' scoop shovel sized portion? And is there an establishment name I need to look for? 'Cause I think that might be the right serving size of mudbugs for me.
Ha! Yep full size scoop shovel full of “mud bugs”, little potatoes, corn on cob and boudin (Cajun spicy sausage for those who haven’t been). Hot and spiced like I learned to love em! And a second scoop if you wanted more!

Full disclosure that I lived in Louisiana three different times for about 10 years total….so I loved learning the culture and unique aspects of south Louisiana. This particular crawfish boil was put on by a local contractor and I don’t remember who the caterer was. This was my first assignment in Louisiana and my first of many “boils”…..I was in line and they handed me a cardboard box lid (like you might get a case of canned corn or beans in at a grocery store)…as I rounded the corner there were two guys with scoops filling peoples cardboard lids. And a gal or two bringing beer to the tables. And some good zydeco music playing in a park area. It’s been a few years and I was younger then…but I said to myself “I think I am going to like this.”

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:38 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:15 pm
I love Louisiana. I lived in NO for about four months. A family from Slidell moved in across the street from me in Helena and we became good friends. We went down to visit them a couple times. Great place. They don’t go fishin’, they go catching’. 😆
Ha! Good one….I had forgotten about “going catchin’’ and they were right!

Working in the field I was also thrown off the first time the crew said “let’s go get groceries”…..which I learned was we were going to eat lunch. And my wife and I were so young and naive on that first trip we didn’t know about buying shrimp “head on or head off”…..my wife still tells how she had to ask the first time she saw some being sold “head on” at a local market….and the local had to “roll his eyes” and show her….he probably went home telling folks about the dumb yankees he had in that day.

I know Slidell very well. A retired friend bought the marina just off the bridge. And he had three shrimp boats. I suppose he has sold it all by now as he is old like me. But he would have us come over to get fresh shrimp right off his boat as they were unloading it from his hold. I never really got into raw oysters but he would periodically get a few sacks from the oyster boats as they came in and showed me how to enjoy a great char broil oyster in the half shell…with some homemade sauces. Dang getting hungry…and I keep threatening to get a couple sacks sent up and have a char boil for folks,

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:47 am

Sorry, guess I got us a little off football….but many good memories. And it is the summer “slow season”.

Now back to your regular scheduled programming.

McNeese72
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by McNeese72 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:35 am

grizzh8r wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:12 pm
McNeese72 wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:14 pm
Wow, my old password from the old bobcatfans.com board from 2002 still worked. The old passwords must have been migrated to this current board.

Please take it easy on my poor Cowboys this first game. With all the hurricanes, the coming and going with all the players in the portal and all the new coaches, McNeese football is in a major state of flux and this will be a big rebuilding year. I am not getting my hopes up for a great season with all the changes but I am very impressed with the new head coach so far. It may take him a couple of years to straighten the mess out and get McNeese football back to what it once was. We have a great AD now and a great President (who was an all-SLC linebacker on a couple of our Independence Bowl teams) and they are very aggressive with their ideas to improve athletics at McNeese. Our spring sports had a great year and I am sure our fall sports will eventually follow suit. Their longterm goal for football is to move to FBS.

But........hopefully all our new players and coaches will meet and be introduced to each other before we come up there to play the Bobcats. I hope to make it up there for the game.

"Doc" Martin
aka McNeese72
Don't think so Doc, looks like you created an account here back in 2011, as you have one former post from that year:

https://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewt ... 11#p372711
That shows you how good my old memory is. ;)

Doc

McNeese72
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by McNeese72 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:48 am

McCowboys wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:53 pm
BobcatDel wrote:
[
Now if you are a real Lake Charles soul a few qualifying questions?

- have you ever did the “blast and cast” with Captain Ron on Lake Calcasieu?
- specs or reds? Favorite and why your favorite?
- how do you cook a red on the half shell…favorite recipe please…..and I will judge your entry!
- why does fishing in Louisiana make fly fishing in Montana seem like childs play?
- have you ever watched the sunrise over the Sabine Wildlife Refuge and listened to it “come to life” while sitting with your favorite lab and a good friend in a well made blind north of Cameron…watching a stunning sun rise?! And later enjoyed a favorite beverage in the camp?
- and why don’t you take that favorite lab hunting companion with you in some of the areas in the early season?
- what do you always check for before climbing in that blind?
- ever had crawfish served by the grain shovel scoop on a pleasant spring day in Hackberry?
- who has the prettier girls…Lafayette or Lake Charles….now remember I might have met Miss USA from Breaux Bridge so don’t feed me a line….show me! And yes Miss Landry was a classy lady to meet.
LOL! I am a McNeese fan, but I don't think I ever claimed to be from LC. I grew up a couple of hours from there in rural Louisiana (beans, peas, bacon, and cornbread) in the rolling hills (mountains!) Ha!

Now I am happily situated on the outskirts of Houston, Texas. Maybe some of the others who (hopefully) show up here or in Bozeman can pass your quiz.
[/quote]

I've done quite a few of those in my time but was more into fishing than hunting and have friends with boats so no going on charters. Specs on Big Lake (Lake Calcasieu) is my favorite and I eat the fish and leave the cooking to other people. More varieties of fish to go after here than in Montana I would presume but there are people that actually fly fish for specs and reds. Haven't seen the sunrise over the Sabine Refuge will waiting to hunt but have seen it when putting the boat in to fish for bass in the Refuge. As far as the blinds, snakes, snakes, why does it always have to be snakes. :) I have crawfish served to me many different ways so it is a possibility. I am partial to the Lake Charles girls but both cities have a lot of them.

Doc

McCowboys
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by McCowboys » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:39 pm

[/quote]
- have you ever watched the sunrise over the Sabine Wildlife Refuge and listened to it “come to life” while sitting with your favorite lab and a good friend in a well made blind north of Cameron…watching a stunning sun rise?! And later enjoyed a favorite beverage in the camp?
[/quote]

No, but one night, long long ago, around 2 A.M. a group of us were sitting around the dorm being bored, and someone got the bright idea to watch the sunrise in GALVESTON! So being sensible college kids, we piled in someone's car and drove at breakneck speed for the island.

Geaux Pokes!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:02 pm

McCowboys wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:39 pm
[/quote]

No, but one night, long long ago, around 2 A.M. a group of us were sitting around the dorm being bored, and someone got the bright idea to watch the sunrise in GALVESTON! So being sensible college kids, we piled in someone's car and drove at breakneck speed for the island.
[/quote]

I hope there were women involved in this, or else it's fairly creepy.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:32 am

allcat wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:02 pm
McCowboys wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:39 pm
[/quote]

I hope there were women involved in this, or else it's fairly creepy.
[/quote]

Only in your weirdo mind.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

McCowboys
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by McCowboys » Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:57 am

Gary Goff speaking to Houston Caravan Tour -

Watch out, Bobcats! The Cowboys are gunning for you!
McNeese's AD and a handful of the head coaches are midway through a four-city caravan tour. The latest stop was in Houston, Texas, a fertile recruiting ground for McNeese and the entire country. Goff, most recently head coach of Valdosta State, is originally from Mississippi. He is down-to-earth and fits well into the Southwest Louisiana community.

Geaux Pokes!

RICO CAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RICO CAT » Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:12 am

Very charismatic coach for sure. McNeese State has traditionally been a solid program and this is going to be a hard fought game. I hope many of their fans get the opportunity to travel to Bozeman.

“OVER THEM MOUNTAINS”

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:47 am

McCowboys wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:57 am

Gary Goff speaking to Houston Caravan Tour -

Watch out, Bobcats! The Cowboys are gunning for you!
McNeese's AD and a handful of the head coaches are midway through a four-city caravan tour. The latest stop was in Houston, Texas, a fertile recruiting ground for McNeese and the entire country. Goff, most recently head coach of Valdosta State, is originally from Mississippi. He is down-to-earth and fits well into the Southwest Louisiana community.
I'm curious whether your coach, Gary Goff, is related to Ray Goff.

St George

Post by St George » Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:11 am

D-Wreck wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
We're talking like a normal ol' scoop shovel sized portion? And is there an establishment name I need to look for? 'Cause I think that might be the right serving size of mudbugs for me.
For Bobcats:
Have you ever watched the sunset from Roskie beach?
Seen the drummer with flaming drum sticks at the Gold Rush?
Crawled thru the Barmuda Triangle and ended up at Manny's?
Stuck to the orange shag carpet at St George and the Dragon while drinking dime beers?
Had a shot of whiskey at the Oaks while talking to Gunner?
Gotten Crystalized on a Thursday afternoon?
Drank Gin and Tonics from an R Bar beer mug and got to keep the mug?
Last edited by St George on Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:46 am

St George wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:11 am
D-Wreck wrote:
BobcatDel wrote:
For Bobcats:
Have you ever watched the sunset from Rosie beach?
Seen the drummer with flaming drum sticks at the Gold Rush?
Crawled thru the Barmuda Triangle and ended up at Manny's?
Stuck to the orange shag carpet at St George and the Dragon while drinking dime beers?
Had a shot of whiskey at the Oaks while talking to Gunner?
Gotten Crystalized on a Thursday afternoon?
Drank Gin and Tonics from an R Bar beer mug and got to keep the mug?
Oh man….I did see the flaming sticks…crawled into Manny’s more than once….many a time in the “old” R Bar where you still saw a cowboy hat on occasion….and that shag carpet at St. George I know I contributed to that “stickiness”. And not mentioned but those big ass burgers and fries with a pitcher of beer at the Hauf after a day of skiing.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:40 pm

Thank you to all the McNeese fans jumping in here. A lot in common between the fan bases. Plus rodeo. Y’all have me more excited about the opening game than I have been since — well, last year!! Keep on posting.

McCowboys
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by McCowboys » Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:06 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:40 pm
Thank you to all the McNeese fans jumping in here. A lot in common between the fan bases. Plus rodeo. Y’all have me more excited about the opening game than I have been since — well, last year!! Keep on posting.
Yes, we are very proud of our rodeo teams.
I grew up in Louisiana near where T. Berry Porter and his children were from: https://www.thetowntalk.com/story/sport ... 261733001/

Yes, the opening game is always something to look forward to when all teams are undefeated and high goals abound. McNeese has opened with some good programs (both FBS and FCS), but this may be the highest ranked FCS we have opened with in quite a while.

Geaux Pokes!

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:26 pm

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:35 pm

Good news is they have their punter ready to kick a lot.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:19 am

Koby Duru coming full circle, returning to Bozeman with McNeese State.

McNeese72
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by McNeese72 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:24 pm

Well, after taking photos at the first two McNeese scrimmages, I can say that our talent level is defintely better than it has been in awhile. But it is going to take some time to get all the kinks out. By the middle of the season we might be pretty good but I think the first game might be a little ugly if they don't get things going smoother in the next couple of weeks.

Doc

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:38 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:19 am
Koby Duru coming full circle, returning to Bozeman with McNeese State.

I wonder if a guy like duru looks back…. bobcats championship run, players like Lance making plays in the nfl….. and thinks “maybe I should have stuck it out…”

I had high hopes for him when he was recruited, I thought he coulda/woulda been a good one.

FTG- GO CATS GO!