Top 10 Cats and top 10 Griz

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Top 10 Cats and top 10 Griz

Post by coloradocat » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:20 pm

Top 10 Bobcats in the 21st century:

#2-10
Lulay
McGhee
Ifanse
Johnson
Kirk
Ioane
Owens
Fletcher
Brott

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:40 am

coloradocat wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:20 pm

#2-10
Lulay
McGhee
Ifanse
Johnson
Kirk
Ioane
Owens
Fletcher
Brott
Agreed on #1. Definitely Troy Andersen

#2-10 in no particular order
Lulay
McGhee
Ifanse
Brad Daly
Flowers
Ioane
Mitch Brott
JP Flynn
Minter

I appreciate good line play and I guess my rankings kind of show that :lol: very hard to narrow it down to 10 just in this century!!!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:34 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:40 am
coloradocat wrote:

#2-10
Lulay
McGhee
Ifanse
Johnson
Kirk
Ioane
Owens
Fletcher
Brott

Lulay
McGhee
Ifanse
Brad Daly
Flowers
Ioane
Mitch Brott
JP Flynn
Minter

I appreciate good line play and I guess my rankings kind of show that :lol: very hard to narrow it down to 10 just in this century!!!
And you are still missing 2012 Buck Buchanon award winner Caleb Schreibeis. We have been fortunate to experience such good football in the past 20 years.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:29 pm

Also missing mike person.

It’s a tough list to narrow down.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:59 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:29 pm
Also missing mike person.

It’s a tough list to narrow down.
Person was #11 for me. I picked Brott as my OL because of the games record. I almost went with Person over Kirk but I have so many good memories of Cody Kirk scoring touchdowns (I thought they should name the north endzone after him back then) that I couldn't leave him off the list.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

blueandgoldblitz

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:19 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:34 pm
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

#2-10
Lulay
McGhee
Ifanse
Johnson
Kirk
Ioane
Owens
Fletcher
Brott

Lulay
McGhee
Ifanse
Brad Daly
Flowers
Ioane
Mitch Brott
JP Flynn
Minter

And you are still missing 2012 Buck Buchanon award winner Caleb Schreibeis. We have been fortunate to experience such good football in the past 20 years.
It's funny you bring that up. I had Schreibeis on the list and I ultimately replaced him with Flowers. I don't feel like I had a GREAT reason to do so but I went with Flowers as he was very key to the team for 3.5-4 years and Schreibeis only had 1 (EXTREMELY) productive year. How do you quantify that? I have no idea, but in my head Flowers seemed like the better pick for some reason. I should've added a just missed the top 10 list of Kirk, Person, Schreibeis, Tiai Salanoa, and Konkol.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:54 am

How about Dennis Erickson....how many BSC Championships did he have along with Hass and Ron Bain.

2024 Resume dominance

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:00 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:19 am
Cataholic wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:34 pm
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

#2-10
Lulay
McGhee
Ifanse
Johnson
Kirk
Ioane
Owens
Fletcher
Brott

Lulay
McGhee
Ifanse
Brad Daly
Flowers
Ioane
Mitch Brott
JP Flynn
Minter

It's funny you bring that up. I had Schreibeis on the list and I ultimately replaced him with Flowers. I don't feel like I had a GREAT reason to do so but I went with Flowers as he was very key to the team for 3.5-4 years and Schreibeis only had 1 (EXTREMELY) productive year. How do you quantify that? I have no idea, but in my head Flowers seemed like the better pick for some reason. I should've added a just missed the top 10 list of Kirk, Person, Schreibeis, Tiai Salanoa, and Konkol.
Seems like Bleskin and McCutcheon should be in the conversation. Junior Adams? Joey Thomas? Prukop? Mike Rider or Michael Beach(always one of my favorites)? Zach Wolf? It's been a good 20 something years.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:48 am

Joey Thomas would 100% be in the top 10 from the 21st century. Best CB msu has ever had, not even debatable. And one of the best in big sky history.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

MTCowpoke22
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MTCowpoke22 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:27 am

Chad Newell. Maybe not top 10 for his play, but definitely Top 10 Fan Favorite

There's the truth, and then there's what's reported in the papers.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:54 am

Man, this is really tough. I thought it might be a little easier, as a starting point at least, if I broke it down by positions (2 at each position), and limited it to this century/millennium. Even then it's really difficult, ant that gives me 16 players instead of just 10. It was so hard in fact, that I had to include an honorable mention at some positions, and I still felt like I left off some really deserving players. I'm surprised that no one else has mentioned a few of the names I came up with, like Elvis Akpla, Jeff Hansen, Jeff Bolton, John Taylor, Beau Sandland, Roger cooper, and Alex Singleton. As for the Gris, I don't know, and I don't care. Although, If I had to come up with a "list" for them, probably the one and only player on it would be Dave Dickenson. Being from Great Falls where Super Dave is a living legend, is was pretty hard not to root for that guy. When he played for them, it's probably the only time in my life that I actually sorta rooted for the Gris.

QB - Lulay, McGhee
RB - Johnson, Ifanse HM - Kirk
WR - Akpla - Bleskin HM - McCutcheon
TE - Wolf - Sandland
OL - Hansen - Person HM - Bolton
DL - Fletcher - Daly HM - Taylor
LB - Singleton - Andersen HM - Cooper
DB - Thomas - Ioane

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:19 pm

John K wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:54 am
Man, this is really tough. I thought it might be a little easier, as a starting point at least, if I broke it down by positions (2 at each position), and limited it to this century/millennium. Even then it's really difficult, ant that gives me 16 players instead of just 10. It was so hard in fact, that I had to include an honorable mention at some positions, and I still felt like I left off some really deserving players. I'm surprised that no one else has mentioned a few of the names I came up with, like Elvis Akpla, Jeff Hansen, Jeff Bolton, John Taylor, Beau Sandland, Roger cooper, and Alex Singleton. As for the Gris, I don't know, and I don't care. Although, If I had to come up with a "list" for them, probably the one and only player on it would be Dave Dickenson. Being from Great Falls where Super Dave is a living legend, is was pretty hard not to root for that guy. When he played for them, it's probably the only time in my life that I actually sorta rooted for the Gris.

QB - Lulay, McGhee
TE - Wolf - Sandland
DB - Thomas - Ioane
OOh Jeff Hansen and Jeff Bolton are the two I was trying to remember the other day.

And your extended list doesn't even include guys like Junior Adams, Mitch Brott, Lewis Kidd or Joey Thomas. What about Weidenaar(sp?)?

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:25 am

technoCat wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:19 pm
John K wrote:

QB - Lulay, McGhee
TE - Wolf - Sandland
DB - Thomas - Ioane
OOh Jeff Hansen and Jeff Bolton are the two I was trying to remember the other day.

And your extended list doesn't even include guys like Junior Adams, Mitch Brott, Lewis Kidd or Joey Thomas. What about Weidenaar(sp?)?
Actually I did have Joey Thomas on my list. I agree with the poster who said he was by far the best CB who ever played for MSU, at least in the 45 years that I've been following Bobcat football. Weidenaar is one of several offensive linemen worthy of HM consideration along with JP Flynn, and probably a few others that don't immediately come to mind. Then, if I extended my time frame beyond just the current century/millennium, the task to narrow it down to just 2 or 3 players at each position group becomes almost impossible.

I left off special teams. If I choose just one for each position, it would probably be Cunningham at PK, Padmos at P, and Cory Smith at KR. He had 6 kick returns for touchdowns in 2003, 4 punts and 2 kickoffs, including the opening kickoff in the Cat-Griz game, which is the only time that's ever happened in The Brawl.

If you extend the time frame to pre-2000, I agree with the poster who said it has to be Stenerud. He is one of only 2 kickers in the NFL HOF. In the 1965 Cat-Griz game (he deserves bonus points for doing this against UM), he kicked a 59 yard FG which was a record for any level of football, not just D-II, not just NCAA, but even including the NFL, and that record stood for 5 years. He also set the record for longest FG in a Super Bowl, with a 48 yarder in SB IV, which stood for 24 years. He had a streak of 16 consecutive made FG in 1969, which was also a record at the time.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:33 pm

Wow guys there is some ridiculous recency bias of the past 20 years here. Every list should include guys whos numbers are retired (Don Hass, Bill Kollar, Sonny Holland, Jan Stenerud).

I think it's hard to include a Top 10 list that doesn't include these names (no order):

Travis Lulay (led the program out of a 16 year funk)
Denarius McGhee (led us back into National contention)
Don Hass (2× All-American; his 1966 was special)
Sonny Holland (3x All-American at center)
Bill Kollar (best DL ever at MSU; 8 years in NFL; 1st rd pick)
Jan Stenerud (1st kicker in the NFL HOF)
Troy Andersen (will be hard to unseat him as GOAT at MSU)
Kane Ioane (the Lulay of the defense in those years)

The other two spots? Good luck.

A pile of offensive players (Jon Borchart, Brent Swaggert, Mike Person, Jeff Bolton, Mitch Brott, Kirk, Ifanse, Johnson, Boddie, McCollum, Joe Bignell, many more) and defensive players (Fellows, Widmer, Cooper, Thomas, Fletcher, Minter, Dalys, Owens, Singleton, Hardy, many more) are in the conversation. In my opinion the top 8 are locked in for a while.

ALL IN FAVOR OF THE TOP 8 BEING UNTOUCHABLE SAY I!

(Proceeds to get objects thrown at him for not including a player they think is more deserving)

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

seataccat

Post by seataccat » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:41 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:33 pm
Wow guys there is some ridiculous recency bias of the past 20 years here. Ecery list should include guys whos numbers are retired (Don Hass, Bill Kollar, Sonny Holland, Jan Stenerud).

I think it's hard to include a Top 10 list that doesn't include these names (no order):

A pile of offensive players (Jon Borchart, Brent Swaggert, Mike Person, Jeff Bolton, Mitch Brott, Kirk, Ifanse, Johnson, Boddie, McCollum, Joe Bignell, many more) and defensive players (Fellows, Widmer, Cooper, Thomas, Fletcher, Minter, Dalys, Owens, Singleton, Hardy, many more) are in the conversation. In my opinion the top 8 are locked in for a while.

(Proceeds to get objects thrown at him for not including a player they think is more deserving)
I can completely agree with your untouchables. However, the top of that list would be Mark Fellows.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:09 pm

seataccat wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:41 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Wow guys there is some ridiculous recency bias of the past 20 years here. Ecery list should include guys whos numbers are retired (Don Hass, Bill Kollar, Sonny Holland, Jan Stenerud).

I can completely agree with your untouchables. However, the top of that list would be Mark Fellows.
A Mark Fellows stan has spoken. Any others believe he should be Top 10 with the other 8?

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:17 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:09 pm
seataccat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

A Mark Fellows stan has spoken. Any others believe he should be Top 10 with the other 8?
If I had enough money to build statues of former players, he would be at the top of the list, just below Troy. Mark was the best defensive player I’ve ever seen at MSU, but that’s only going back to the mid-70s.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:42 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:17 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:09 pm
seataccat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

If I had enough money to build statues of former players, he would be at the top of the list, just below Troy. Mark was the best defensive player I’ve ever seen at MSU, but that’s only going back to the mid-70s.
The sack master (Fellows) makes 9 on my list. His 23 sack, 30 TFL senior season in 86 may never be broken. Who should be #10? Tyler Bruggman?

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:15 am

John K wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:25 am
technoCat wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:19 pm
John K wrote:

QB - Lulay, McGhee
TE - Wolf - Sandland
DB - Thomas - Ioane

Actually I did have Joey Thomas on my list. I agree with the poster who said he was by far the best CB who ever played for MSU, at least in the 45 years that I've been following Bobcat football. Weidenaar is one of several offensive linemen worthy of HM consideration along with JP Flynn, and probably a few others that don't immediately come to mind. Then, if I extended my time frame beyond just the current century/millennium, the task to narrow it down to just 2 or 3 players at each position group becomes almost impossible.

I left off special teams. If I choose just one for each position, it would probably be Cunningham at PK, Padmos at P, and Cory Smith at KR. He had 6 kick returns for touchdowns in 2003, 4 punts and 2 kickoffs, including the opening kickoff in the Cat-Griz game, which is the only time that's ever happened in The Brawl.

If you extend the time frame to pre-2000, I agree with the poster who said it has to be Stenerud. He is one of only 2 kickers in the NFL HOF. In the 1965 Cat-Griz game (he deserves bonus points for doing this against UM), he kicked a 59 yard FG which was a record for any level of football, not just D-II, not just NCAA, but even including the NFL, and that record stood for 5 years. He also set the record for longest FG in a Super Bowl, with a 48 yarder in SB IV, which stood for 24 years. He had a streak of 16 consecutive made FG in 1969, which was also a record at the time.
#-o don't ask me why but when I read it I thought you meant Tyrel Thomas....

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:33 pm

I am OK with your list VIM... however, if Ifanse has even an average year (by Ifanse standards), I'd have to move him up. I don't think anyone would argue he's already the best RB in Bobcat history..... and that is saying a LOT.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!