McNeese state

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: McNeese state

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:59 am

McCowboys wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:53 am
Howdy, you mangy, flea-bitten kitty cats!

Y'all might as well start focusing in on your second and third opponents for this season and just forget about us. All I can say is God help us and Geaux Pokes!

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

McCowboys
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by McCowboys » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:06 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:54 am
McCowboys wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:29 am
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:42 am

[Welcome to the board and thanks for the brief look into the recent history of McNeese Football. That being said, it sounds like the McNeese area and the athletics programs (especially football) has been through hell! I hope things get better and start to stabilize for you guys. After week 1 of the upcoming season of course :wink:
Thank you! It has definitely been tough, but we are certainly happy with the hiring of Coach Goff and hope he can lead us out of this wilderness.
You going to come up for the game?!
No, I will not be able to attend. I will, of course be watching online or on TV.
I know a few others who were checking into flights and lodging and decided not to go, but you should be able to see Doc, CBuck76, and a few others. I hope cowbells are allowed. :D

Geaux Pokes!

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:10 am

McCowboys wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:06 am
ilovethecats wrote:
McCowboys wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:

[Welcome to the board and thanks for the brief look into the recent history of McNeese Football. That being said, it sounds like the McNeese area and the athletics programs (especially football) has been through hell! I hope things get better and start to stabilize for you guys. After week 1 of the upcoming season of course :wink:
Thank you! It has definitely been tough, but we are certainly happy with the hiring of Coach Goff and hope he can lead us out of this wilderness.
No, I will not be able to attend. I will, of course be watching online or on TV.
I know a few others who were checking into flights and lodging and decided not to go, but you should be able to see Doc, CBuck76, and a few others. I hope cowbells are allowed. :D
An option that might allow all y'all to avoid the Bozeman hotel prices would be to fly into and stay in Billings and rent a car to get back and forth to the game.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:31 am

McCowboys wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
McCowboys wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:

Cowbells are allowed for any game not run by the "fairness committee" at the NCAA.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

McCowboys
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by McCowboys » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:42 am

cats2506 wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:39 am
I hadn't realized McNeese had gone through such a coaching carousel. I remember hearing about the hurricanes though. I have always thought of them as a power in the Southland, and with all the movement down there I had to look and see if they were still in the Southland. Regardless of their troubles, I know they have a great football tradition and expect a tough game.
McNeese is the longest-tenured member currently in the SLC, but had flirted with moving to the WAC. Sam Houston had definitely been the dominant team for the last few years, but they have gone to the WAC before moving on to Conference USA next year. Without the Bearkats, the SLC has been down. UIW and SLU were the representatives in the playoffs, while The Big Sky had several participants. UIW has plans to be in the WAC this season, but they lost their head coach and super stud quarterback to the Pac-12. Texas A&M-Commerce (transitioning from Division II) will join this season, and Lamar will return in 2023 after a couple of years in the WAC. The SLC would like to add one or two more football schools. For the next two years the SLC has an alliance with the Ohio Valley conference. I believe each SLC team will face on OVC team.

We had held the record for most consecutive years with a winning record until 2021. One of the aggravating reasons we lost some games, leading to losing seasons, was due to poor special teams, especially missing extra points and chip-shot field goals. When our AD hired Goff, he told him he needed to find a kicker. =D^ Goff has found some in the transfer portal, including one from Ohio State.

Yeah, very weird about the coaches coming and going. Speaking for myself, I was not upset when any of them left, and I guess things happen for a reason. Coach Wilson was important coming in when he did after the devastation of the hurricanes, but most of us figured that with his ties to LSU he wouldn't be around long.

Despite all, McNeese is still a very attractive place. Our AD was amazed at the number and quality of coaches who applied for the head coaching position. McNeese definitely needed a rebuilder and organizer. Goff had coached at Tiffin University (Ohio) before Valdosta State. He was there nine years, I believe. Before he went there, Tiffin was the proverbial doormat. When he left, Tiffin had winning records, and I believe had even made the playoffs. I don't think McNeese was in the position of Tiffin, but we certainly need a talent upgrade. Most of his Valdosta staff came to McNeese with him as did some of his players. I've not heard one bad thing about him. He has really fit in well with McNeese/SW Louisiana. He is down-home, real, and a people person. Now if he can just win, Baby!

I'm not sure why this matchup between the Bobcats and Cowboys is a one and done. I wish it were a home-and-home.

Geaux Pokes!

McCowboys
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by McCowboys » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:44 am

Rich K wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:10 am
McCowboys wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
McCowboys wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:

An option that might allow all y'all to avoid the Bozeman hotel prices would be to fly into and stay in Billings and rent a car to get back and forth to the game.
I know some of them were checking into all of these things. I would imagine there will still be a good showing for McNeese fans.

Geaux Pokes!

McCowboys
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by McCowboys » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:46 am

[/quote]

Cowbells are allowed for any game not run by the "fairness committee" at the NCAA.
[/quote]

Awesome!

Geaux Pokes!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:08 pm

McCowboys wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:46 am
[/quote]

Awesome!
[/quote]

Cowbells are handed out to the fans at some home games. There'll be plenty of cowbells in the stands already. The Montana State rodeo team leads the players onto the field before most home games too.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

McCowboys
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by McCowboys » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:06 pm

[/quote]

Cowbells are handed out to the fans at some home games. There'll be plenty of cowbells in the stands already. The Montana State rodeo team leads the players onto the field before most home games too.

[/quote]

Cool! McNeese has a good rodeo team, too. The men just finished second at the CNFR, and recently, our Cowgirls was the all-around champion cowgirl.

Some our fans want to play Mississippi State because they ring cowbells, but I still can't figure out why bulldogs would ring cowbells. ?

Geaux Pokes!

McNeese72
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by McNeese72 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:14 pm

Wow, my old password from the old bobcatfans.com board from 2002 still worked. The old passwords must have been migrated to this current board.

Please take it easy on my poor Cowboys this first game. With all the hurricanes, the coming and going with all the players in the portal and all the new coaches, McNeese football is in a major state of flux and this will be a big rebuilding year. I am not getting my hopes up for a great season with all the changes but I am very impressed with the new head coach so far. It may take him a couple of years to straighten the mess out and get McNeese football back to what it once was. We have a great AD now and a great President (who was an all-SLC linebacker on a couple of our Independence Bowl teams) and they are very aggressive with their ideas to improve athletics at McNeese. Our spring sports had a great year and I am sure our fall sports will eventually follow suit. Their longterm goal for football is to move to FBS.

But........hopefully all our new players and coaches will meet and be introduced to each other before we come up there to play the Bobcats. I hope to make it up there for the game.

"Doc" Martin
aka McNeese72

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:12 pm

McNeese72 wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:14 pm
Wow, my old password from the old bobcatfans.com board from 2002 still worked. The old passwords must have been migrated to this current board.

Please take it easy on my poor Cowboys this first game. With all the hurricanes, the coming and going with all the players in the portal and all the new coaches, McNeese football is in a major state of flux and this will be a big rebuilding year. I am not getting my hopes up for a great season with all the changes but I am very impressed with the new head coach so far. It may take him a couple of years to straighten the mess out and get McNeese football back to what it once was. We have a great AD now and a great President (who was an all-SLC linebacker on a couple of our Independence Bowl teams) and they are very aggressive with their ideas to improve athletics at McNeese. Our spring sports had a great year and I am sure our fall sports will eventually follow suit. Their longterm goal for football is to move to FBS.

But........hopefully all our new players and coaches will meet and be introduced to each other before we come up there to play the Bobcats. I hope to make it up there for the game.

"Doc" Martin
aka McNeese72
Don't think so Doc, looks like you created an account here back in 2011, as you have one former post from that year:

https://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewt ... 11#p372711

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:27 pm

McCowboys wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:06 pm

[/quote]

Cool! McNeese has a good rodeo team, too. The men just finished second at the CNFR, and recently, our Cowgirls was the all-around champion cowgirl.

Some our fans want to play Mississippi State because they ring cowbells, but I still can't figure out why bulldogs would ring cowbells. ?
[/quote]

The Montana State ladies team won the National Championship last year and MSU's Paige Rasmussen won the all around.

McCowboys
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by McCowboys » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:29 pm

[/quote]

The Montana State ladies team won the National Championship last year and MSU's Paige Rasmussen won the all around.
[/quote]

Excellent!

Geaux Pokes!

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:43 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:59 am
McCowboys wrote:

Y'all might as well start focusing in on your second and third opponents for this season and just forget about us. All I can say is God help us and Geaux Pokes!

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:49 pm

McCowboys wrote:

I hope you will take it easy on the Cowboys when they come limping into Bozeman.

In case you don't know, McNeese has been under some kind of curse for the last 7 or 8 years. Maybe longer. I think it goes back to the black cat that ran across the field at one of our games. McNeese fan Doc Martin may show up here eventually and can fill you in and maybe even show you the picture of that treacherous beast.

McNeese has not even made the playoffs in several years and has not won a playoff game in forever.

Anyway, since 2015, McNeese cannot seem to keep a coach in the corral. Lance Guidry was fired after the 2018 season (his tenure allowed McNeese football to fail in attaining the required APR and being put on probation for a year); Sterlin Gilbert coached the Cowboys in the 2019 season and then bolted; Frank Wilson - who had just been fired at UTSA - coached the spring and fall seasons of 2021 (the spring was McNeese's probation season). He left for an AC job at LSU after the 2021 fall season. In December of 2021 Gary Goff (Valdosta State) was hired. I have trouble counting that high, but that looks like FOUR new coaches and staffs in Five years. Unbelievable! Think of the players who stayed for those four or five years. It must have been mind-boggling.

Add into that, two back-to-back hurricanes in 2020 which squarely targeted Lake Charles/SW Louisiana, causing millions of dollars worth of damage to the area and to McNeese athletic facilities. Athletic teams had to practice in other cities and sometimes in high school gyms and weight rooms. As of now, McNeese's Cowboy Stadium pressbox, which had been condemned, has now been taken apart and removed. The hope is the new pressbox will be ready for the 2023 season. The good news is that light fixtures (destroyed by the hurricanes) will be replaced and ready for this season so that night games can be played instead of playing at noon in the 100 degree heat and humidity. Still, many in this area are still fighting with insurance companies, and blue tarps are seen on roofs all around.

Then some fool schedule maker chooses Montana State, the defending national runners-up to be Goff's first game (with near 50 brand new Cowboys) in the unfriendly confines of Bobcat Stadium. Goff wants to play an up-tempo offense, but so far we don't have a QB who has mastered the system -- the three top contenders are transfers -- and Goff said the starter probably won't be named until game week.

Here is an article in today's Lake Charles American Press by Jim Gazzolo. https://lakecharles.dirxionpages.net/Am ... Edition/9/
The article is "What's ahead for Cowboys: Season of Transition" and begins on page 1 and continues on page 3. No predictions, but every opponent has a brief write-up, with the history, and what to expect.

I can direct you to some previous articles if you like and to a daily blog by a knowledgeable source. A handful of us Cowboy fans post on the AGS board, and there are a couple of Facebook groups for Cowboy fans. We do not have a fancy fan forum like this, though.

I mentioned Doc Martin earlier. Chances are that you will see him and CBuck76 in Bozeman. Doc is a sideline photographer, and CBuck76 has not missed a McNeese home or away football game in decades!
Now if you are a real Lake Charles soul a few qualifying questions?

- have you ever did the “blast and cast” with Captain Ron on Lake Calcasieu?
- specs or reds? Favorite and why your favorite?
- how do you cook a red on the half shell…favorite recipe please…..and I will judge your entry!
- why does fishing in Louisiana make fly fishing in Montana seem like childs play?
- have you ever watched the sunrise over the Sabine Wildlife Refuge and listened to it “come to life” while sitting with your favorite lab and a good friend in a well made blind north of Cameron…watching a stunning sun rise?! And later enjoyed a favorite beverage in the camp?
- and why don’t you take that favorite lab hunting companion with you in some of the areas in the early season?
- what do you always check for before climbing in that blind?
- ever had crawfish served by the grain shovel scoop on a pleasant spring day in Hackberry?
- who has the prettier girls…Lafayette or Lake Charles….now remember I might have met Miss USA from Breaux Bridge so don’t feed me a line….show me! And yes Miss Landry was a classy lady to meet.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:12 am

McCowboys wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:44 am
Rich K wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:10 am
McCowboys wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
McCowboys wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:

I know some of them were checking into all of these things. I would imagine there will still be a good showing for McNeese fans.
Generally, flights into/out of Bozeman are the cheapest in the state. However, hotel/motel prices are the most expensive. So depending on your situation, you could fly into Bozeman, rent a car and go to the game and then drive to Livingston or Three Forks (~ 1/2 hour) to get a room......just an option

McCowboys
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by McCowboys » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:53 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:49 pm
[
Now if you are a real Lake Charles soul a few qualifying questions?

- have you ever did the “blast and cast” with Captain Ron on Lake Calcasieu?
- specs or reds? Favorite and why your favorite?
- how do you cook a red on the half shell…favorite recipe please…..and I will judge your entry!
- why does fishing in Louisiana make fly fishing in Montana seem like childs play?
- have you ever watched the sunrise over the Sabine Wildlife Refuge and listened to it “come to life” while sitting with your favorite lab and a good friend in a well made blind north of Cameron…watching a stunning sun rise?! And later enjoyed a favorite beverage in the camp?
- and why don’t you take that favorite lab hunting companion with you in some of the areas in the early season?
- what do you always check for before climbing in that blind?
- ever had crawfish served by the grain shovel scoop on a pleasant spring day in Hackberry?
- who has the prettier girls…Lafayette or Lake Charles….now remember I might have met Miss USA from Breaux Bridge so don’t feed me a line….show me! And yes Miss Landry was a classy lady to meet.
[/quote]

LOL! I am a McNeese fan, but I don't think I ever claimed to be from LC. I grew up a couple of hours from there in rural Louisiana (beans, peas, bacon, and cornbread) in the rolling hills (mountains!) Ha!

Now I am happily situated on the outskirts of Houston, Texas. Maybe some of the others who (hopefully) show up here or in Bozeman can pass your quiz.

Geaux Pokes!

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:27 am

Just announced, uiw to stay in the Southland conference and not join the whack

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

D-Wreck
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by D-Wreck » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:31 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:49 pm
We're talking like a normal ol' scoop shovel sized portion? And is there an establishment name I need to look for? 'Cause I think that might be the right serving size of mudbugs for me.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:15 pm

I love Louisiana. I lived in NO for about four months. A family from Slidell moved in across the street from me in Helena and we became good friends. We went down to visit them a couple times. Great place. They don’t go fishin’, they go catching’. 😆

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber