Offseason Random Stuff - 2022

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: Offseason Random Stuff - 2022

Post by VimSince03 » Wed May 18, 2022 9:59 am

https://herosports.com/fcs-football-202 ... p-25-bzbz/

Slotted in at #3. Dang...I had no idea SDSU returned all that talent. I knew NDSU barely lost anyone but its going to be hard to convince me that those two teams won't be the final ones standing at the end of next season.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed May 18, 2022 12:02 pm

94VegasCat wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 11:11 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 4:29 pm
This has been uncommon knowledge for a while now, but MSU announced that Kyle Rissinger has moved on to something outside of football. .
Why isn’t there more chatter about this? I think he’s done a solid job with our DBs.
He has done a solid job. Apparently, he wanted to do something else in life.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed May 18, 2022 1:15 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 9:59 am

Slotted in at #3. Dang...I had no idea SDSU returned all that talent. I knew NDSU barely lost anyone but its going to be hard to convince me that those two teams won't be the final ones standing at the end of next season.

#3….. that is some pretty high praise, considering the amount of talent that graduated (a good chunk of which went to the nfl).

I think we will be very good again next fall….. but not sure if I would put the cats that high, not yet anyway….. the OL and DL make me nervous.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed May 18, 2022 1:38 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 1:15 pm
VimSince03 wrote:

#3….. that is some pretty high praise, considering the amount of talent that graduated (a good chunk of which went to the nfl).

I think we will be very good again next fall….. but not sure if I would put the cats that high, not yet anyway….. the OL and DL make me nervous.
High praise but it's hard to put us any lower than #4. I think there's a pretty clear top 4 and then a drop off.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed May 18, 2022 4:02 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 1:38 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 1:15 pm
VimSince03 wrote:

High praise but it's hard to put us any lower than #4. I think there's a pretty clear top 4 and then a drop off.
once we beat down that Oregon State team, I'll voice my opinion.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed May 18, 2022 6:29 pm

MSU and UM at 3-4 is a sign of how watered down the FCS has gotten. Cut back just a couple years ago and they’re probably 6-7.

Even if NDSU or SDSU had graduated a bunch of players, they’d still be 1-2.

Missouri State is going to be really good. MVFC could have three semifinal teams this year.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

CatsFan10
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by CatsFan10 » Wed May 18, 2022 7:38 pm

Seems like every year we talk about the wounds that are graduation and transfers. (Rightfully so). But, I think this MSU squad will be in the semis at a minimum again this 2022 season. We return multiple studs and some bloomers we saw last year that will step up in a big way!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu May 19, 2022 11:05 am

CatsFan10 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 7:38 pm
Seems like every year we talk about the wounds that are graduation and transfers. (Rightfully so). But, I think this MSU squad will be in the semis at a minimum again this 2022 season. We return multiple studs and some bloomers we saw last year that will step up in a big way!
Yep, I agree. I also think people underestimate how valuable all the additional games and practices are in terms of developing talent and depth, and overall improvement of the program.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu May 19, 2022 11:10 am

catatac wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 11:05 am
CatsFan10 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 7:38 pm
Yep, I agree. I also think people underestimate how valuable all the additional games and practices are in terms of developing talent and depth, and overall improvement of the program.
Excellent point.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu May 19, 2022 3:15 pm

VimSince03 wrote:

Honest question for anyone: is there a strong correlation between returning starters and success? I know there is a positive correlation, but how solid is it? I doubt anyone had actually studied this. But if you have some rationale, please share it.

My general thought is that NDSU and other perennial powers come back strong whether they have lots of returning starters or not. Something to chew on.

Same question for preseason (spring) polls and how strong they correlate with final polls.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Fri May 20, 2022 7:14 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 3:15 pm
VimSince03 wrote:

Honest question for anyone: is there a strong correlation between returning starters and success? I know there is a positive correlation, but how solid is it? I doubt anyone had actually studied this. But if you have some rationale, please share it.

My general thought is that NDSU and other perennial powers come back strong whether they have lots of returning starters or not. Something to chew on.

Same question for preseason (spring) polls and how strong they correlate with final polls.
I have no data or studies. But, I'd pick a really good set of returning starters over the unknown. However, that is the excitement of college football. I have no doubt we have studs waiting for their time.

Hating the griz since 02.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri May 20, 2022 10:48 am

Teams with lots of 4th or 5th year seniors seem to have the most success, time spent developing in the program (no matter what the talent level may or may not be). My 2 cents.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri May 20, 2022 11:30 am

Yeah, sports are funny this way. People make all kinds of forecasts, but you rarely hear if anyone ever checks to see if they're right or not after all is said and done. In the case of sports, it just doesn't matter if they're right or not, so that probably makes sense.

You don't see that in many other walks of life. If a transportation/marketing/planning/etc study is done and the recommendations are way off, you will have a tough time getting contracts. Those things actually matter.

toM StUber

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri May 20, 2022 2:51 pm

I think we’ll have other players move into starring roles. It’s easy to forget the names when they aren’t actively playing, but I remember the excitement over Kenneth Eiden IV. And others like Brody Grebe that already have their toes in the water. I looked over that 2-deep and there are so many freshmen and sophomores of various stripes — hard to believe that aren’t a few future All-Americans in there.

CatsFan10
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by CatsFan10 » Fri May 20, 2022 5:30 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 3:15 pm
VimSince03 wrote:

What are you suggesting to compare this against? I would guess a coach would much rather fill the room with returners after Making a title run, then you have a team who finished say 1- whatever, they’ll probably want fresh blood. Personally I am excited to hang our hats on our returning d linemen, oreilly, okada, and manning. Woodard is going to have another great season too. Offensively, we have the usual suspects in Mellott, Ze, Willie, and hopefully Coy.

Simply put, I would prefer to have these guys return into their roles at the given moment and would bet that will lead to more success.

From my zero years of coaching I can safely say I would enjoy returners who are aware of the current system. It’s a team game. Teams get exposed with players out of position etc, players who are familiar have an ability to continue to build on prior knowledge seem extremely valuable. Makes practices more smooth, creates more time to get more drills in, etc.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri May 20, 2022 5:56 pm

Saw these guys yesterday. They don’t know me, but knew my friend. Very cool.

toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat May 21, 2022 8:55 pm

Taco 10.92 100m in prelims at Eastern AA divisional meet.

toM StUber

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun May 22, 2022 6:35 pm

A former Bobcat coming back to compete against the Cats this Fall.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon May 23, 2022 10:02 am

For those that think Housewright is trash, here's your chance to be a fly on the wall!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon May 23, 2022 10:08 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:02 am

For those that think Housewright is trash, here's your chance to be a fly on the wall!
Has VimSince03 written all over it. 8)