Tommy's Injury

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Tommy's Injury

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:39 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:30 am
ibleedblue wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:16 pm
catatac wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:03 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:13 pm
LTown Cat wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:28 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:55 pm
catatac wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:49 pm
That is crazy! If you rewatch the play, no contact or anything, he just stepped to throw a pass, and started limping… must have popped something.

Watch it again. The injury happened when he got tackled on a play before that.
And I believe it rolled the worse way (as in out, instead of in??)--looked extremely painful.
I could be wrong but I also feel like the damn slippery field had a hand in it.
The slippery field and 240 additional lbs. of bison meat landing on him.
?? - wasn't it a non contact injury... I don't think he got hit.
It was on a QB running play. Personally I don’t think it had anything to do with the field. He got hit and kind of rolled up on from the momentum of that tackler. Could have happened on any field on any play really, just some bad luck.
It had more to do with his cleats getting snagged in the Bermuda grass than the hit. The hit was relatively mild. The defenders weight came down on Mellott's lower leg after his cleats catch in the grass. All injuries have a dose of bad luck and no one can say for sure what happened in this instance, but this one "probably" doesn't happen if his cleats don't snag. It's water under the bridge at this point. Sure, it "could" have happened on any field, however, I think it's "more likely" that this injury would not have happened had he not snagged his cleats. Colter had an interview with an ortho doctor this past week on this very detail and he explains it well.

Stanford University did a peer-reviewed study on playing surfaces and on of their findings was that ACL injuries occurred up to 2.13 times more on Bermuda grass than on rye grass likely due to the increased traction of football cleats on Bermuda grass caused by the thicker thatch layer.

Toyota Stadium in Frisco is under contract to host the game through 2024.
After having watched this over on game day, I totally agree about the cleats getting snagged in the turf. But to finish the damage after Brooks’ frame, #90 landed on top of him with full weight.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:51 pm

Thanks for posting that, I guess I was confused as someone posted a different video clip where he stepped back and threw a pass and instantly started limping. Not sure if that was before or after.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:00 pm

catatac wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:51 pm
Thanks for posting that, I guess I was confused as someone posted a different video clip where he stepped back and threw a pass and instantly started limping. Not sure if that was before or after.
The pass was after and it was also after he couldn’t even walk, kid is a gamer. It happened right in front of us. I don’t know how the game would have ended up but I do know we were moving the ball really well prior to the injury. If we score points there it sets the tone of the game. After he came out and we ran the fake, the air was out of the team. The defense knew at that time that without Tommy there was no way we win the game. I have said it before how much of a team player Rovig is, but it wasn’t happening after that play. No excuse for the defense to play like they did in the first half, but you can’t really blame them or Rovig. Rovig is a great dude and all about winning, but we needed a higher gun after that injury.

I don’t blame the field as he probably would have been hurt on that play either way, not to mention NDSU had to deal with the same field conditions. If you talk to most players they would rather play on grass over synthetic turf any day, it just was a freak deal that happened at the wrong time. Teams like this usually go in spurts, so I hope the team knows they can get back and try to redeem themselves next year. Momentum with 18-22 year olds is a huge deal and you can’t understate that.

If your left, you aren’t right.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:26 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:00 pm
catatac wrote:
The pass was after and it was also after he couldn’t even walk, kid is a gamer. It happened right in front of us. I don’t know how the game would have ended up but I do know we were moving the ball really well prior to the injury. If we score points there it sets the tone of the game. After he came out and we ran the fake, the air was out of the team. The defense knew at that time that without Tommy there was no way we win the game. I have said it before how much of a team player Rovig is, but it wasn’t happening after that play. No excuse for the defense to play like they did in the first half, but you can’t really blame them or Rovig. Rovig is a great dude and all about winning, but we needed a higher gun after that injury.

I don’t blame the field as he probably would have been hurt on that play either way, not to mention NDSU had to deal with the same field conditions. If you talk to most players they would rather play on grass over synthetic turf any day, it just was a freak deal that happened at the wrong time. Teams like this usually go in spurts, so I hope the team knows they can get back and try to redeem themselves next year. Momentum with 18-22 year olds is a huge deal and you can’t understate that.
With todays synthetic fields I don’t think it’s true any more that most players prefer natural grass.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:09 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:26 pm
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:00 pm
catatac wrote:

With todays synthetic fields I don’t think it’s true any more that most players prefer natural grass.
I used to think that until I talked to some players. In the nfl almost all practice fields are grass and same with NCAA schools, including the big dogs like Alabama, so there has to be some merit to it. Why would Missoula and MSU still have grass practice fields if it wasnt preferred? Synthetic is expensive at the start but after a few years it’s way cheaper because you don’t have to maintain it like grass. I understand colder areas need synthetic because you can’t keep plowing grass, but like I said in the nfl they put tarps on them and still use them. Baseball fields are still grass for a reason, because the players love it compared to synthetic. My cousin coaches 6A baseball in Texas and he said synthetic bounces way truer than grass, but yet all the player prefer grass over synthetic.

I don’t know the answer or why it’s like that, but if Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Chicago, packers, etc. are still playing on grass in the nfl there has to be some reason for that.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:25 pm

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports ... ?_amp=true

This is a 2020 NFLPA article, where the union is asking all teams to switch to natural grass vs synthetic turf due to the forgiveness of grass vs. turf.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:51 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:25 pm
https://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports ... ?_amp=true

This is a 2020 NFLPA article, where the union is asking all teams to switch to natural grass vs synthetic turf due to the forgiveness of grass vs. turf.
Good find. I’ll bet, however, that they won’t be going with a shallow-rooted layer of wet golf course (Bermuda) grass over the hard-packed sand drainage system.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:41 pm

Texas A&M which is second to almost no one in resources has a real grass field. Same with the Packers, real grass and heated. I think MSU is better off with turf cause they don't have those resources. Some of the past playoff games were played on surfaces that were brutal.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Sohedges
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Sohedges » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:48 am

Tommy had surgery yesterday in Bozeman. The estimated recovery time for that kind of injury is 6-8 weeks- Tommy will be back in 3. Lol

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:56 am

Sohedges wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:48 am
Tommy had surgery yesterday in Bozeman. The estimated recovery time for that kind of injury is 6-8 weeks- Tommy will be back in 3. Lol
******, he's already running laps in the hospital.

MTBluesCAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by MTBluesCAT » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:26 pm

Good Luck Tommy. Get well soon!

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:07 pm

I hope the surgery went well … wishing you a complete recovery Tommy. Don’t rush the process.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:21 pm

Sohedges wrote:
Thank you for posting this information. This is excellent news, as I was worried about his recovery with that specific injury. I had been told it was a possibly that it would never heal 100% but I'm guessing with that relatively short recovery time, it should probably get back to 100%? Someone else had posted that it would have been better if he had broken his ankle... which it now sounds like that was a false statement.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:30 pm

catatac wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:21 pm
Sohedges wrote:
Thank you for posting this information. This is excellent news, as I was worried about his recovery with that specific injury. I had been told it was a possibly that it would never heal 100% but I'm guessing with that relatively short recovery time, it should probably get back to 100%? Someone else had posted that it would have been better if he had broken his ankle... which it now sounds like that was a false statement.
I think that's just the conventional wisdom about ankle injuries in general. Hoping it is an easy enough fix that gets him to 100%. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't (like a torn ACL can be), but I don't know much about the injury. Seems to me the fact that they went ahead and got surgery this quickly means doctors think this is pretty straight forward.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:39 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:30 pm
catatac wrote:
Sohedges wrote:
I think that's just the conventional wisdom about ankle injuries in general. Hoping it is an easy enough fix that gets him to 100%. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't (like a torn ACL can be), but I don't know much about the injury. Seems to me the fact that they went ahead and got surgery this quickly means doctors think this is pretty straight forward.
Does anyone know for sure what ligament he tore or what kind of surgery he had?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:11 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:39 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
catatac wrote:
Sohedges wrote:
It’s officially the off season and we have run out of things to discuss. :D

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Clinton T
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Clinton T » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:40 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:56 am
Sohedges wrote:
******, he's already running laps in the hospital.
Tommy does his homework, lifts, and his PT before 3:00 am. If he doesn't, he can pack his bags and leave. :wink:

Clinton T
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Clinton T » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:41 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:39 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
catatac wrote:
Sohedges wrote:
I'm certainly not a doctor, but I would assume he had "Tommy John" surgery on a ligament ending in "CL".

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:34 am

The scary part that I just read about his surgery was the word “Bozeman”.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:25 am

Bozeman has some great young orthopedic surgeons. My experience has been great.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."