Troy Freaking Andersen!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: Troy Freaking Andersen!

Post by HelenaCat » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:49 am

Wow, that was awesome! I will sure miss watching Troy at MSU, but it will be fun to follow him in the NFL.

snowxlt
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by snowxlt » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:53 am

Awesome video---Agreed will miss Troy!! All time great---will be cheering him on in NFL

96 Engineering and 99 Education

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:36 am

Speaking of which, what is the current status of Troy in terms of likely draft round? Hopefully somebody that follows this can weigh in on when he's going to be drafted. Also curious to hear if anyone is considering drafting him for a position other than LB. I think we all agree he's an NFL caliber LB, but he does have one glaring weakness at the position, especially if inside.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:47 am

catatac wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:36 am
Speaking of which, what is the current status of Troy in terms of likely draft round? Hopefully somebody that follows this can weigh in on when he's going to be drafted. Also curious to hear if anyone is considering drafting him for a position other than LB. I think we all agree he's an NFL caliber LB, but he does have one glaring weakness at the position, especially if inside.
The Senior Bowl is on February 5th. I imagine chatter will pick up after that. At this point I think he's still projected between rounds 3 and 6.

The biggest thing holding him back from playing on offense is probably that he hasn't really played there since mid-2019 so he'd be moving to the other side of the ball after a 3 year break. On the other hand he's never really played any position for longer than one year so he's somewhat of a prospect anywhere, just depends on how creative a team wants to get.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:27 pm

Will any Bobcat ever wear #15 again?

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:55 pm

Mtcatfan wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:27 pm
Not if I were king of the world.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:37 am

Mtcatfan wrote:
I personally think that's why he never wore #41 in a game. MSU wanted him to wear 15 his whole career so it would either be retired or honored in some other way.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:13 pm

I think he'll be a safety....I. a thought

2024 Resume dominance

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:11 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:37 am
Mtcatfan wrote:
I personally think that's why he never wore #41 in a game. MSU wanted him to wear 15 his whole career so it would either be retired or honored in some other way.
Abso-freaking-lutely. He’s one of the greatest athletes in Montana history. What he did at MSU is unmatched. They will retire 15 in his honor. No question.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:09 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:11 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mtcatfan wrote:
Abso-freaking-lutely. He’s one of the greatest athletes in Montana history. What he did at MSU is unmatched. They will retire 15 in his honor. No question.
Are there any other numbers retired? He’s a great Bobcat, but there are others who won bigger awards. Recency bias seems to be occurring.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:04 am

PapaG wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:09 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mtcatfan wrote:
Are there any other numbers retired? He’s a great Bobcat, but there are others who won bigger awards. Recency bias seems to be occurring.
Yes. Kollar, Stenerud and I think one other I'm forgetting. Sonny Holland? If we heard this every year about some great player I'd agree it's recency bias. But I don't think this is something many of us have said about anybody else since I can remember.

Having said that, there are only so many numbers in football and just about that many players. Teams don't often retire numbers in football. They either have "revered" numbers or put a player in some sort of ring of honor.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:47 am

catatac wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:36 am
various evals:
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/tr ... hrine-bowl
"Versatility. Versatility. Versatility.

It’s the adjective that swamps his evaluation when asked about Montana State do-it-all prospect Troy Andersen. A talent with All-America honors on both sides of the football, he’s a one-of-one in this year’s draft class.
An outstanding blitzer off the edge and through the A and B-gaps as a MIKE linebacker in MSU’s 4-2-5 alignment, his profile at the NFL level, ideally, could see him slot on the outside due to his innate ability to consistently fire downhill and win in the open-field in the run when faced with one-on-one situations against quicker ball-carriers. “

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/troy ... port-2022/
"The buzz has been building around Andersen all season, and there’s a reason for that. He’s incredibly productive, but he also has an incredibly high ceiling in the NFL.
Andersen has a near-elite size profile, and he also has the explosiveness, fluidity, and range to be a nightmare in the box. Couple this with his ball skills, play strength, and functional stack-and-shed ability, and he can be a legitimate Swiss Army knife for a defense. His versatility and pass-rushing upside give him a great projection as a 3-4 ILB, but he could also rotate between roles in other schemes.

A lot of this is projection right now. Andersen is still raw in a few areas. But a strong Senior Bowl showing, combined with what should be excellent testing numbers, can make him a solid Day 2 or early Day 3 pick."
Last edited by JDoub on Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:13 am

15 needs to be retired.

He is the best bobcat ever. Period.

There have been better players at specific positions- Ioane at safety, bill kollar, stenerud at kicker, etc... but Troy is the best bobcat ever. What he accomplished over his career is mind blowing. You would be hard pressed to find another player that has his career resume, for any team, at any level of football, ever.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:35 am

I sit and wonder, if Troy would have kicked and made a field goal, would he be the only player to ever score as a running back, quarter back, linebacker and kicker?? Thinking we really screwed up by not letting him attempt just one kick.

Punters are people too!!

Sohedges
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Sohedges » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:39 am

PapaG wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mtcatfan wrote:
Do you think they will lose the locker room if they dare retire his number?

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:44 am

GoCats18 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:35 am
I sit and wonder, if Troy would have kicked and made a field goal, would he be the only player to ever score as a running back, quarter back, linebacker and kicker?? Thinking we really screwed up by not letting him attempt just one kick.
That’d be funny and equally insulting to the opponent. Should’ve done it to one of the dirty teams - UNC, ISU, um.

Sohedges
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Sohedges » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:49 am

Should have been a drop kick extra point against the Griz on his resume. Lol

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:52 am

PapaG wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mtcatfan wrote:
Old photo but they are still there.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:08 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:35 am
I think we really screwed up by not getting him a receiving TD. He only caught touchdown passes from opponents.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:17 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:13 am
15 needs to be retired.

He is the best bobcat ever. Period.

There have been better players at specific positions- Ioane at safety, bill kollar, stenerud at kicker, etc... but Troy is the best bobcat ever. What he accomplished over his career is mind blowing. You would be hard pressed to find another player that has his career resume, for any team, at any level of football, ever.
Guess I’m more of a Ring of Honor person. To each their own.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride