Who does NDSU beat next year in Frisco?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

utucats
Member # Retired

Re: Who does NDSU beat next year in Frisco?

Post by utucats » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:46 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:39 pm
utucats wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:08 pm
NDSU caught us in a perfect storm. They didn’t look all that great against JMU. They aren’t that far ahead and at this point their reputation is making them tougher to beat.

Reminds me of Tyson, rolling over opponents just cause of fear until someone like Buster Douglas comes along after losing his mother and decides to throw all chips on the table. Then we all find out that he’s just a bully and can’t take getting punched back. Holyfield completely exposed him.

Not saying that NDSU can’t handle the punches but some of the problem is everyone is acting like they are unbeatable. If the field surface wasn’t slick and Tommy didn’t get hurt, I think we are right in that game.
2018: Lost by 42
2019: Lost by 28
2021: Lost by 28

I think they're still pretty far ahead of us. 28 points is more than reputation.

What is the perfect storm that we were caught in? It wasn't the field and it wasn't Tommy getting hurt. Even if those things don't happen I think NDSU wins by at least 17.
Disagree. Tommy showed the difference he makes the weeks prior. We are a different team when he is on the field.

Keep in mind that the teams he dominated finished ahead of this NDSU squad in the spring and SDSU beat them this season.

We had everything that could go wrong in that game and many on BN have been acting like we are a mile behind them. Not true.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:35 pm

utucats wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:46 pm
coloradocat wrote:
utucats wrote:
NDSU caught us in a perfect storm. They didn’t look all that great against JMU. They aren’t that far ahead and at this point their reputation is making them tougher to beat.

Reminds me of Tyson, rolling over opponents just cause of fear until someone like Buster Douglas comes along after losing his mother and decides to throw all chips on the table. Then we all find out that he’s just a bully and can’t take getting punched back. Holyfield completely exposed him.

Not saying that NDSU can’t handle the punches but some of the problem is everyone is acting like they are unbeatable. If the field surface wasn’t slick and Tommy didn’t get hurt, I think we are right in that game.

I think they're still pretty far ahead of us. 28 points is more than reputation.

What is the perfect storm that we were caught in? It wasn't the field and it wasn't Tommy getting hurt. Even if those things don't happen I think NDSU wins by at least 17.
Disagree. Tommy showed the difference he makes the weeks prior. We are a different team when he is on the field.

Keep in mind that the teams he dominated finished ahead of this NDSU squad in the spring and SDSU beat them this season.

We had everything that could go wrong in that game and many on BN have been acting like we are a mile behind them. Not true.
The difference is you’re talking about speculation while others of us are talking about what actually happened. They’ve beaten us by 4+ touchdowns the last three times they’ve knocked us out of the playoffs.

I maintain that if we’re going to blame a wet field for a four touchdown loss, we’re not near as close to NDSU as I hoped.

We’ll never know what would have happened if Tommy hadn’t gotten hurt. Maybe him in the game would have extended drives and we wouldn’t have given up almost 400 yards rushing. Who knows. What I know is the last three times we’ve played those guys they have absolutely dominated us.

Bizun 86
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Bizun 86 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:43 pm

utucats wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
utucats wrote:

You're literally delusional. You seriously didn't just say that you're not far behind the mighty Bizun did ya? The athleticism size and strength difference was so glaringly obvious. Keep kidding yourselves!

autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by autocat » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:44 pm

You are literally delusional, you wheat kings aren’t going to win forever!

delusional is wanting to live in Fargo, get paid to go to school and play in a dome =P~

BTW, Heard you’re #1 receiver might be leaving :shock:

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:48 pm

utucats wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
utucats wrote:

It's the lines. Our OL against their DL isn't a huge, glaring mismatch... but it is a mismatch. Their OL against our DL is a huge, glaring mismatch... and that was probably one of the best D lines we've had in a long time. Benson at 100% would have helped a little, but they dominated us. You simply can't win games if your lines are getting owned.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:54 am

catatac wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:48 pm
utucats wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
utucats wrote:

It's the lines. Our OL against their DL isn't a huge, glaring mismatch... but it is a mismatch. Their OL against our DL is a huge, glaring mismatch... and that was probably one of the best D lines we've had in a long time. Benson at 100% would have helped a little, but they dominated us. You simply can't win games if your lines are getting owned.
As has been discussed, our D line using our athleticism and stunts has been able to neutralize some size differences we faced in the past(see SDSU in the semis). The wet grass surface caused footing issues that were obvious and played directly to their strength and against ours.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:03 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:35 pm
utucats wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
utucats wrote:

The difference is you’re talking about speculation while others of us are talking about what actually happened. They’ve beaten us by 4+ touchdowns the last three times they’ve knocked us out of the playoffs.

I maintain that if we’re going to blame a wet field for a four touchdown loss, we’re not near as close to NDSU as I hoped.

We’ll never know what would have happened if Tommy hadn’t gotten hurt. Maybe him in the game would have extended drives and we wouldn’t have given up almost 400 yards rushing. Who knows. What I know is the last three times we’ve played those guys they have absolutely dominated us.
I’m not speculating at all. Did this one game make you forget what we did to the defending champs? Were they small and slow? How about what we did to SDSU, you know the pushovers who beat NDSU and played in last year’s title game. Both those teams finished ahead of NDSU in the spring and they didn’t this year because of us.

You guys are putting so much weight on one game. Tommy played one series in this game that “actually happened”. I’ll give you that game and raise you Idaho, UT Martin, SHSU and SDSU. No one has beaten our Cats with Tommy playing QB throughout and that is still the case.

We play the mighty BI-son(heavy on the BI 🏳️‍🌈) next year with Tommy healthy at QB and we’ll beat them. If it happens and we dont, I’ll shut the account down and never comment on here again!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:49 am

utucats wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:03 am
ilovethecats wrote:
utucats wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
utucats wrote:

I’m not speculating at all. Did this one game make you forget what we did to the defending champs? Were they small and slow? How about what we did to SDSU, you know the pushovers who beat NDSU and played in last year’s title game. Both those teams finished ahead of NDSU in the spring and they didn’t this year because of us.

You guys are putting so much weight on one game. Tommy played one series in this game that “actually happened”. I’ll give you that game and raise you Idaho, UT Martin, SHSU and SDSU. No one has beaten our Cats with Tommy playing QB throughout and that is still the case.

We play the mighty BI-son(heavy on the BI 🏳️‍🌈) next year with Tommy healthy at QB and we’ll beat them. If it happens and we dont, I’ll shut the account down and never comment on here again!
That's the misunderstanding. I'm not putting too much emphasis on one game at all. I'm putting emphasis on the last THREE meetings with the Bison. All three that knocked us out of the playoffs. All three that we lost by 4 touchdowns or more.

Obviously I hope you are right. I think the Cats are on the cusp for sure. But I still maintain that if we're going to blame a wet field (one that both teams played on) for yet another 28 point loss, we're not near as close as I hope we are.

I fully expect us to be right in the mix again next season, hopefully back in the championship. But my eyes don't deceive me. We were once again dominated by NDSU. They beat us in every facet of the game. I'm confident in our players and our staff, but I can't suggest that another matchup with them would be a lock win for us or even a coin flip based on the last three games I've seen us play against them.

They are obviously where we want to be. But until I see it with my own eyes, I have to accept the fact they have owned us when we have played.

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:51 am

jgrilley406 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:29 am
justafan wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:19 am
If any big sky team is playing in Frisco it will most likely be the fizz. the fizz have a pretty favorable schedule early games are games that they will win no doubt but also games that are better than just scrimmages. They look like the portal is being kind to them as well.
Ya with what the Griz have returning especially their top two RBs from injury (Knight Ostmo) and getting a qb that is more than likely an upgrade from Humphrey and all that they got back on defense, next year will probably be their best chance at making it to the semifinals and a chance to make it to frisco that they’ve had in awhile. They’ll probably need to get some transfers for both of their lines still, since that’s where they lose the most but they definitely appear they’ll be tougher next year. Regardless cat/Griz is in Bozeman and they’ll have a new qb playing in that game for the first time and that could be a factor on who ends up winning that game and thus more than likely will be opposite of NDSU in the playoffs.
Wrong. Ever since the Stitt era and now during boobs second the gris haven't been able to replicate their ability to develop dominate OL players they had 15 years ago. They are graduating 3 starting Linemen and they don't have in my mind a great succession of players ready to step in. They don't have a Sessions type of fresh that won the job in fall camp and looks to be an all conference kind of player. As far we are behind NDSU on Oline, we are ahead of the gris and its why we've won 4 of the last 5 against them. As long as it stays this way they will be good but not Natty kind of elite.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

justafan

Post by justafan » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:02 am

utucats wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
utucats wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
utucats wrote:

If we make it which, which is doubtful without Troy. I will for one will miss your posts. unless ndsu totally revamps their system they will keep on winning. sux yes it does but unless something changes it is not changing.

Bizun 86
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Bizun 86 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:48 am

utucats wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
utucats wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
utucats wrote:

utucats wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
utucats wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
utucats wrote:

You might as well shut this account down now! Although you won't be a factor next year anyway you should just do it out of respect for the mighty Bizun

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:04 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:49 am
utucats wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
utucats wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
utucats wrote:

That's the misunderstanding. I'm not putting too much emphasis on one game at all. I'm putting emphasis on the last THREE meetings with the Bison. All three that knocked us out of the playoffs. All three that we lost by 4 touchdowns or more.

Obviously I hope you are right. I think the Cats are on the cusp for sure. But I still maintain that if we're going to blame a wet field (one that both teams played on) for yet another 28 point loss, we're not near as close as I hope we are.

I fully expect us to be right in the mix again next season, hopefully back in the championship. But my eyes don't deceive me. We were once again dominated by NDSU. They beat us in every facet of the game. I'm confident in our players and our staff, but I can't suggest that another matchup with them would be a lock win for us or even a coin flip based on the last three games I've seen us play against them.

They are obviously where we want to be. But until I see it with my own eyes, I have to accept the fact they have owned us when we have played.
I’m not blaming a wet field. I’m saying the playing surface played against our strengths and directly into NDSU’s strengths.

Losing Tommy was a death blow.

The last 3 meetings are insignificant. We were building to this level those seasons and we have steadily improved. We are at the level to compete with this team but we can’t lose our most dynamic offensive player on the first series and expect to remain competitive. Without Tommy we are the team that lost to the griz, no surprise NDSU had their way with that team.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:16 pm

utucats wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:04 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
utucats wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
utucats wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
utucats wrote:

I’m not blaming a wet field. I’m saying the playing surface played against our strengths and directly into NDSU’s strengths.

Losing Tommy was a death blow.

The last 3 meetings are insignificant. We were building to this level those seasons and we have steadily improved. We are at the level to compete with this team but we can’t lose our most dynamic offensive player on the first series and expect to remain competitive. Without Tommy we are the team that lost to the griz, no surprise NDSU had their way with that team.
I'd argue that if our last three meeting with the Bison mean nothing, then who the Bison lost to this year, and especially last spring, certainly don't matter.

As I said, I hope you are right. But I'm more nervous that the loss of our qb or wet fields put us in a position to lose by four touchdowns. Losing your starting qb is always bad. But if one guy going down is suddenly the difference between winning the game, or losing by almost 30, I think we have a ways to go.

All that said, I fully expect us to get a good seed next season, hopefully homefield most if not all the way, and think we have the program to get back. I just can't dismiss their dominance over us because every game I have seen, they did to us exactly what they did to us in Frisco.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:00 pm

Didn’t read the other comments but I’m going to say SDSU beats NDSU in the playoffs next year. Don’t know how that shacks up the rest of the bracket but they end up on the same side and the jackrabbits get the win

Side prediction, gris loose first game on the road in the playoffs

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:26 pm

Losing a very good QB makes a huge difference in a game. If NDSU had forced a 3 and out on MSU’s first possession I’d be more inclined to think that the Bison blow out MSU anyway. He looked exactly like he looked vs SHSU and SDSU on that drive.

NO! That doesn’t mean I think he keeps it up all game, but I think anyone comparing the title game w/o Mellott to the 2018 and 2019 games is just trying too hard to not be biased and is actually going overboard with it.

I get it. No one wants to look like a homer, but discounting Mellott’s ability to play this game at a very high level is simply trying too hard to not sound biased.

It’s okay to say ‘all things being equal, Mellott makes this a better game.’ He’s a special player.

If you want to critique MSU, then a good starting point would be the way the defense was dominated and how the Bobcats had poor depth at QB.

Look at past history. Most teams don’t have two very good QBs. Some have. Most have not. Close to home look at the UM 1994 season. Dave Dickenson went down to a leg (ankle?) injury early vs McNeese in a playoff game and they barely won. UM lost its semifinal game 28-9. It was 21-0 at half time.

A year later UM wins its playoff games 48-0, 45-0, 70-14 over the #10, #15 and #5 teams. Then wins at Marshall in the title game.

Yes, it’s okay to think that MSU is going to be good next year and that they might’ve done better vs NDSU with Mellott on the field. No bias needed to think that. It isn’t crazy talk.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:58 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:26 pm
Losing a very good QB makes a huge difference in a game. If NDSU had forced a 3 and out on MSU’s first possession I’d be more inclined to think that the Bison blow out MSU anyway. He looked exactly like he looked vs SHSU and SDSU on that drive.

NO! That doesn’t mean I think he keeps it up all game, but I think anyone comparing the title game w/o Mellott to the 2018 and 2019 games is just trying too hard to not be biased and is actually going overboard with it.

I get it. No one wants to look like a homer, but discounting Mellott’s ability to play this game at a very high level is simply trying too hard to not sound biased.

It’s okay to say ‘all things being equal, Mellott makes this a better game.’ He’s a special player.

If you want to critique MSU, then a good starting point would be the way the defense was dominated and how the Bobcats had poor depth at QB.

Look at past history. Most teams don’t have two very good QBs. Some have. Most have not. Close to home look at the UM 1994 season. Dave Dickenson went down to a leg (ankle?) injury early vs McNeese in a playoff game and they barely won. UM lost its semifinal game 28-9. It was 21-0 at half time.

A year later UM wins its playoff games 48-0, 45-0, 70-14 over the #10, #15 and #5 teams. Then wins at Marshall in the title game.

Yes, it’s okay to think that MSU is going to be good next year and that they might’ve done better vs NDSU with Mellott on the field. No bias needed to think that. It isn’t crazy talk.
That all makes sense. I haven't heard anyone say they didn't think we might have done better with Mellott playing. I certainly didn't. We likely would have looked better. Sustaining drives likely would have helped our defense not give up almost 400 yards rushing.

My comment was directed at the idea that people are crazy or something for suggesting we're still not at their level. It can be for any variety of reasons. Could be a wet field. Injuries to our qb. Injuries to any playmaker. Lack of depth. We're smaller. They're bigger. You name any reason, and could make a case for it.

But at some point, the proof is in the pudding. They've beat our asses 3 games in a row. It's not that I'm trying to NOT look like a homer, it's that the facts are we've played them three times, lost three times, and wasn't even close three times.

As you said, next season is a new season. Tommy could be healthy all year, be all world, and we could throttle the Bison. I can't see the future so I'll concede those are all possibilities. But from what I HAVE seen, and what the outcomes of the games ACTUALLY were, we got smoked.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:02 pm

Georgia lost to Alabama 7 times in a row. The last two times by 17 points each time. We probably all saw them beat Alabama by 15 in the NC game just 5 weeks after getting thumped in the SEC championship by... Alabama. Football is like investing in that past performance is no guarantee of future results. I think a home and home series with NDSU would go a long ways to help us overcome our mental block we have with the bizun. It was a snowball in Frisco and once it started going downhill there was no way to stop it and I think that was as much mental as it was physical. No way to prove any of this but I think if we play them a week after we beat SDSU and have a healthy Tommy for the whole game I think it's a different outcome. If not a win at least a lot closer.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

85CatGrad

Post by 85CatGrad » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:31 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
utucats wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
utucats wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
utucats wrote:

Damn, you are a real sore loser. You will never be a winner with a sour a$$ outlook like that. Tommy made a hell of a difference in the 3 previous playoff games! If Tommy would have played the entire game the score would have been much closer. Tucker was a big drop-off from Tommy and if you can't see that you are truly blind.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:39 am

85CatGrad wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:31 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
utucats wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
utucats wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
utucats wrote:

Damn, you are a real sore loser. You will never be a winner with a sour a$$ outlook like that. Tommy made a hell of a difference in the 3 previous playoff games! If Tommy would have played the entire game the score would have been much closer. Tucker was a big drop-off from Tommy and if you can't see that you are truly blind.
:lol:
Um, what?

I’m a sore loser? Point out where I have said the game couldn’t have been closer if Tommy wouldn’t have gotten hurt? I haven’t. In fact I’ve said the opposite. The game likely would have been closer, we likely would have sustained more drives, and it likely would have helped prevent our defense not give up 380 yards on the ground.

I also said I think we’re on the cusp, and fully expect us to be in the mix for Frisco next year too.

The rest of what I said you can’t dispute. NDSU HAS knocked us out of the playoffs 3 straight. They HAVE beaten us by 28 or more every time. If saying that makes me a sore loser, so be it.

This year it was because of a wet field and the loss of our qb. I maintain it was their dominance on the line on both sides of the ball.

Previous years it was that we were smaller and slower. And we didn’t have the depth they did.

Until we play them and either win, or even be in the game, I’ll maintain my opinion that we’re not on their level yet. All it takes is one game against them to change my mind. But if I’m blind for thinking that based on the results of our last three meetings; I’m fine owning that. 8)

PortlandCat90

Post by PortlandCat90 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:54 pm

:lol:
Um, what?

I’m a sore loser?

Sore loser? Gotta toast to that one.

I'll own your opinion with you. NDSU has rolled us 3 straight times and it hasn't been close. Their program is the FCS Gold Standard. They called off the dogs after their first second-half drive. I think I even saw a 4th string QB run a play or two? They could have lit up the scoreboard more in the 2nd half as they had 1 TD, 1 FG, 2 punts and an 8-all-run-play, 5-minute drive to end the game. We couldn't stop these guys with our starters even when we knew they were running the ball.

Our first drive grossed 37 yards and ended with Garo Yepremian (you younger guys can Google it). Our second drive grossed 51 yards and ended with the Wide Right. A slight improvement with Rovig. I think the NDSU coaches are smart enough to realize that they were not going to get beat by Mellott's running. The first drive he was 3-8 rushing as they were keying on him. That would have lasted all game.

That being said, I bleed Blue and Gold as much as anyone. We just have to be honest with our team and know that one player was not going to change the outcome (and I am in the camp that it would not have changed the final deficit). We have met the enemy and know what it will take. It's amazing to think that we are one team away from being National Champions again, and that is out standard once again. I fully believe that we will get there!