FBS level football has been destroyed

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

FBS level football has been destroyed

Post by aucat » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:07 am

The "pay for play" NIL is on its way to completely destroying FBS level football as we know it. The big rich programs will gather piles of money from billionaire boosters and corporations. Note the news release below regarding payment to Texas players. Ohio State already has something similar. As a fan I am turning my interest more to just the FCS programs as well as the military academies. My hope is that the huge money will not be as big of an influence at the FCS level but I could be wrong. As for FBS football, some people are comparing it to the NFL but I don't think that is correct. The NFL has a draft where at least the worst teams get the first draft picks. In big time FBS programs, the richest teams with the most money will just continue to buy the players as they always have. Except now it is completely legal. I might watch FBS sports but it is nothing more than casual entertainment. The "pride" one used to feel for your alma mater doing well in athletics is now a joke. It's nothing more than organized professional paid sports designed to make money.

Suppose we had a billionaire in Bozeman that did what Texas did and paid $50,000 annually for each Bobcat lineman? Would that make you proud? Or disgusted?

This from SI.com: “Every Texas Longhorns offensive lineman on scholarship will get $50,000 annually for use of their name, image and likeness to support charitable causes, a new nonprofit entity announced Monday. Horns with Heart said “The Pancake Factory” would start in August 2022. The organization said it hopes to expand the program to other football position groups and Longhorns athletes in the future. The name comes from the “pancake” blocks linemen sometimes do during play.”

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: FBS level football has been destroyed

Post by Mtcatfan » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:42 am

Can they pay athletes to sign or do they have to be signed by the university first? This will probably affect FCS as well but to a lesser degree. It is definitely concerning in terms of what it will do to the overall parity of the conferences locally and nation wide.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:52 am

Mtcatfan wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:42 am
Can they pay athletes to sign or do they have to be signed by the university first? This will probably affect FCS as well but to a lesser degree. It is definitely concerning in terms of what it will do to the overall parity of the conferences locally and nation wide.
The latter.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:54 am

Players have been getting paid at all levels of football for a very long time. Now that it is somewhat more legal, people complain. I don’t get it.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:15 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:54 am
Players have been getting paid at all levels of football for a very long time. Now that it is somewhat more legal, people complain. I don’t get it.
Because what leveled the playing field is they all had to keep it under wraps.

All I said I’m apprehensive about is now the school with the most money can give ANY amount of money to ANY kid at ANY time with zero regulation.

I just like college sports too much to see it be another pro league. Though you could make a case it could be even worse than the NFL because at least the NFL has a salary cap to keep the richest owners from buying any player he wants. As it stands right now the richest booster could buy any player he wants and I see that only getting worse before it’s regulated and gets better.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:30 am

It's not the NFL, it's the MLB.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:33 am

It’s definitely going to create an uneven playing field.

I guess it’s cool if you want to see like 4 or 5 teams never lose a game again- Texas, Alabama, etc... ha

At our level.... same thing. If Denny is offering to pay every UM player 50 grand (or whatever the details are)..... what recruit would not take that over our school or any other school at this level....

Gonna be interesting to see how this unfolds.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:01 pm

In the Texas case, that’s nearly a million dollars going to a position group. Does that feed resentment from other groups/players? Do you then fund every position group? Is your team’s salary base grow towards the 5-10 million dollar range? Kids are going to go where the money is and care less about poppy to see the field…and then hit the portal after they got paid (see Quinn Ewers who was making more money than most of the coaching staff). I am happy for kids making money off their talents but there’s going to have to be some kind of regulation.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:10 pm

The playing field is already uneven. The top 15 programs in both the FBS and FCS are generally the same because those programs have the most financial support. Now the players get some of that support directly into their bank accounts and not just as in-kind gifts like scholarships, housing and food.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Bobcat Sig
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat Sig » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:13 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:10 pm
The playing field is already uneven. The top 15 programs in both the FBS and FCS are generally the same because those programs have the most financial support. Now the players get some of that support directly into their bank accounts and not just as in-kind gifts like scholarships, housing and food.
Yup, and further, those same players now get a slice of the money generated from the use of the name, image, and likeness. Just how it should be.

To think that FBS football was somehow balanced or fair before the NIL came along is foolish. Look at the teams consistently at the top of the heap during the BCS and again now, during the CFP. They are the same because they have the money, the boosters, and the success to sustain elite programs. Now, the players finally get a taste of all that money... and good for them. They deserve it.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:14 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:01 pm
In the Texas case, that’s nearly a million dollars going to a position group. Does that feed resentment from other groups/players? Do you then fund every position group? Is your team’s salary base grow towards the 5-10 million dollar range? Kids are going to go where the money is and care less about poppy to see the field…and then hit the portal after they got paid (see Quinn Ewers who was making more money than most of the coaching staff). I am happy for kids making money off their talents but there’s going to have to be some kind of regulation.
Quinn Ewers will likely be the best thing that ever happened to NIL. That should really open the eyes of the boosters as far as paying individual athletes, especially before they've done anything. Texas is gonna Texas but in general I think there will be smaller payments to entire team/position groups as well as small payments to individual players rather than big deals.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:22 pm

Sounds like capitalism at work.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:35 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:14 pm
ND0479 wrote:
Quinn Ewers will likely be the best thing that ever happened to NIL. That should really open the eyes of the boosters as far as paying individual athletes, especially before they've done anything. Texas is gonna Texas but in general I think there will be smaller payments to entire team/position groups as well as small payments to individual players rather than big deals.
He’ll probably get to double dip too! Obviously without knowing the contract details on his initial autograph deal, he’s now going to work the checkbooks of another wealthy fan base. Props to the kid, but I think he’s going to be the one that brings in regulation. Maybe not? I go back and forth on it.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:02 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
FBS, sure. At the FCS level? I highly doubt that. 90+% of FCS schools can barely afford a football program, with low-paid coaches and high-school level stadiums, let alone pay their players under the table.
Do you have any evidence to back up your claim?

NOCOcat2005
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by NOCOcat2005 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:12 pm

This is why your wrong, at the end of the day only 11 players play on offense and 11 players play on defense. Not to mention rosters arn't expanding with NIL, so really there isn't more spots to be filled. If teams like Texas get their starters paid for all that really does effect is their top 22 players at any one moment. I was honestly really worried about NIL until i thought about it more. Not to mention, think about the Denver Broncos or the Seattle Seahawks, how many players do you see from those teams on commercials or getting paid for likeness, hardly any. Sure are some players going to benefit from this, of course, and honestly they should have been from the beginning. The power 5 will continue to recruit well and so will the CATS, just in a different manner.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:17 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:35 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:14 pm
ND0479 wrote:
He’ll probably get to double dip too! Obviously without knowing the contract details on his initial autograph deal, he’s now going to work the checkbooks of another wealthy fan base. Props to the kid, but I think he’s going to be the one that brings in regulation. Maybe not? I go back and forth on it.
I think his case will spur self-regulation (on the part of boosters/schools) rather than NCAA or even conference regulation.

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:21 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:02 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
FBS, sure. At the FCS level? I highly doubt that. 90+% of FCS schools can barely afford a football program, with low-paid coaches and high-school level stadiums, let alone pay their players under the table.
The top 10% of FCS schools now in terms of facilities and money made by their program along with money added by boosters, for the most part also make up the top 10% of the teams in terms of performance on the field and playoff appearances. Add in NIL and that top 10% in FCS stands a real good chance of widening the talent gap between them and the other 90%. Depending on what individual super wealthy boosters may do there could be a few 90%ers that move up to the 10% and some 10%ers that move to 90%ers.

I highly doubt there will be any meaningful self-regulation of NIL spending.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:44 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:21 pm
91catAlum wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
The top 10% of FCS schools now in terms of facilities and money made by their program along with money added by boosters, for the most part also make up the top 10% of the teams in terms of performance on the field and playoff appearances. Add in NIL and that top 10% in FCS stands a real good chance of widening the talent gap between them and the other 90%. Depending on what individual super wealthy boosters may do there could be a few 90%ers that move up to the 10% and some 10%ers that move to 90%ers.

I agree things will change. The part I took issue with is that "players at all levels of football have already been getting paid for a very long time". I don't believe thats true for the FCS level and below.

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:22 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:44 pm
Joe Bobcat wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:21 pm
91catAlum wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

I agree things will change. The part I took issue with is that "players at all levels of football have already been getting paid for a very long time". I don't believe thats true for the FCS level and below.
Ok I didn't quite pick up on that part of what you were saying.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:54 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:44 pm
Way back when; I was talking with a college administration person and there was speculation that the Marshall FCS teams of the 90s were helping out some of the student athletes. :-$