Cats @ Sam Houston Predictions

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Cats @ Sam Houston Predictions

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:30 pm

We've got a quarterfinal matchup in 5 days with a team that has had our number in the playoffs over the last 10 years. Those games don't matter and both teams are different. The Cats are a much different team both on offense and defense. SHSU still uses a solid RPO game on offense, and speed on both sides of the ball. Early in the year I would have had no problem predicting a win in this game with the way our D and O were both playing. SHSU is overrated in my opinion, regardless of record, but still a very good team.

SHSU and UTM are the 2 most balanced offenses we will have seen this year, based on stats alone. SHSU has a 1000 yard rusher, and their QB Schmid is dangerous on the ground as well. We haven't faced a dual threat guy like him this year. I believe our D is up to the task. Okada, Andersen and O'Reilly are going to be busy Saturday night.

Offensively we are going up against a seemingly solid run D. Could it be a product of the schedule? Perhaps, but even in the spring nobody other than SDSU had much success running against them. They are however, not great in pass D. The way Tommy passes this game may very well determine the outcome. If we hit a few nice pass plays early, it will force SHSU to respect Tommy both running and passing.

I see a dog fight in this one. I have gone back and forth on the score and who wins the last few days, but I think our D and the threat Tommy poses in the running game will help us win.

Cats - 24
Bearkats - 20

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Cats @ Sam Houston Predictions

Post by MSU Toddler » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:39 pm

MSU D: EWU was the high-water mark for scoring on MSU D and I don't expect SHSU to do any better but will give them 20. Because of some strange turnover or special teams play (i.e., scoop and score, pick 6, or big return), I bet SHSU has an additional score. SHSU = 27

MSU O: See UTM plus more completions and no misses in the kicking game. MSU = 30

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:33 pm

Half time
MSU 14 Sam 10
Final
MSU 31 Sam 17

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Bear Spray II
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Bear Spray II » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:39 pm

I watched them play a couple times this fall. SFA could have (should have) beat them, but they wore down on the last drive. Incarnate Word was unstoppable, but their D was awful. They can stop the running game folks and while I'm excited with Tommy, he's not yet the passer we need. My ten cents - give Rovig some reps, spread it out, and run the ball first, then pass. A large dose of Tommy too, but we have to throw the ball to beat this team. If we can throw it enough, MSU 34, SHS 24. If not, MSU 10, SHS 27.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:26 pm

MSU will give them a scare but I think the season ends here. 28-19 Sam Houston and I hope I'm wrong!

catgradtimes2
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by catgradtimes2 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:28 pm

This will unfortunately be the end to a great season. Just don’t think we match up well with shsu.

Cats - 13
SHSU - 27

First time predicting a loss this year, hope I’m wrong and we shock the world.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:51 pm

Cats 27
Wannabes 26

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:53 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:30 pm
We've got a quarterfinal matchup in 5 days with a team that has had our number in the playoffs over the last 10 years. Those games don't matter and both teams are different. The Cats are a much different team both on offense and defense. SHSU still uses a solid RPO game on offense, and speed on both sides of the ball. Early in the year I would have had no problem predicting a win in this game with the way our D and O were both playing. SHSU is overrated in my opinion, regardless of record, but still a very good team.

SHSU and UTM are the 2 most balanced offenses we will have seen this year, based on stats alone. SHSU has a 1000 yard rusher, and their QB Schmid is dangerous on the ground as well. We haven't faced a dual threat guy like him this year. I believe our D is up to the task. Okada, Andersen and O'Reilly are going to be busy Saturday night.

Offensively we are going up against a seemingly solid run D. Could it be a product of the schedule? Perhaps, but even in the spring nobody other than SDSU had much success running against them. They are however, not great in pass D. The way Tommy passes this game may very well determine the outcome. If we hit a few nice pass plays early, it will force SHSU to respect Tommy both running and passing.

I see a dog fight in this one. I have gone back and forth on the score and who wins the last few days, but I think our D and the threat Tommy poses in the running game will help us win.

Cats - 24
Bearkats - 20
Uh... Isn't Eric Barriere III probably the best dual threat QB in the FCS?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:01 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:53 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:

Cats - 24
Bearkats - 20
Yes and no. He can do both, but he's a passing QB. Dual threat QBs don't run for only 222 yards in a season on 89 attempts (a bunch of which are scrambles). Schmid has 75 rushes for 339 yards. SHSU also runs the read option more than Eastern. Eastern hardly runs it at all.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:19 pm

Our young corners aren’t being talked about much, but they have really played well down the stretch. We will need a flawless performance Saturday from them. We will stop their run and the defense will get a score. Coach says 25 is magic number. Bobcats win a good game, 26-24.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:28 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:01 pm
catatac wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Cats - 24
Bearkats - 20
Yes and no. He can do both, but he's a passing QB. Dual threat QBs don't run for only 222 yards in a season on 89 attempts (a bunch of which are scrambles). Schmid has 75 rushes for 339 yards. SHSU also runs the read option more than Eastern. Eastern hardly runs it at all.
Sack yards count against rushing yards in college rather than passing yards like they do in the NFL. Barriere takes a lot of sacks because they throw so much. That's why his rush yards are low.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:40 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:28 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
catatac wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Cats - 24
Bearkats - 20
Sack yards count against rushing yards in college rather than passing yards like they do in the NFL. Barriere takes a lot of sacks because they throw so much. That's why his rush yards are low.
I know, but I still believe Schmid is more of a true dual threat.

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:43 pm

Montana State—26

Sammy—21

Punters are people too!!

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:47 pm

If I was an outsider picking this game, I’m sure I’d go with SHSU. But I’m going to take a swing at a result that I actually want to root for. An MSU path to victory seems like it would have to come in a lower scoring affair.

MSU: 21
SHSU: 17

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:02 pm

One prediction, from NOAA, says that it's only going to be 67 for a high, so it should be down in the 50s at game time. The previous day's high is 81. 50% chance of rain during the day/20% in the evening.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:43 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:40 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:28 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
catatac wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Cats - 24
Bearkats - 20
I know, but I still believe Schmid is more of a true dual threat.
Usually, dual threat means a QB that can both run an option AND throw the ball. I.e. out of the last 20 years of Bobcat QBs, I'd say only Prukop was a legit dual threat. McGhee could run like Barriere if necessary...and even Lulay was an amazing runner when forced (on some pretty mediocre teams) but Prukop was the only one who was really a legit threat to both gash a D on the run and the pass. (Murray & Anderson were both what I'd call one dimensional runners).

Regardless, I'm not really worried about the D. D holds the Kats to 17. I'm worried about the Offense being able to score 20.

Not willing to make a prediction on that.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:18 am

onceacat wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:43 pm
Regardless, I'm not really worried about the D. D holds the Kats to 17. I'm worried about the Offense being able to score 20.

Not willing to make a prediction on that.
[/quote]

Well now, time to show some confidence in the Cats resilience and heart.

MSU Bobcats: 24
shhhhhh: 20

Onto the next round... =D^ =D^

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:18 am

MSU Bobcats 34
SHS barley cats 27

A friend asked me why barley cats. I meant to write barely cats.
The fact that I was enjoying a Jeremiah Johnson Mountain Man scotch ale at the time may have influenced me.
Last edited by Joe Bobcat on Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:55 am

Cats 23
Kats 19

Seems someone scores 19 when we play Sammy...

2024 Resume dominance

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:18 am

The most points our defense has given up this year is 20 to ewu and 22 to the griz. Sammy should be in that same range.
Honestly don't know what to expect from our offense this week, but I'm hoping we can score in the 20s.

I'll take MSU with a late FG to win it.

MSU 23
SHSU 21