Matt McKay into the NCAA Transfer Portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Matt McKay into the NCAA Transfer Portal

Post by technoCat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:44 am

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:34 am
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:53 am
Hawks86 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:27 am
I think the blame for the offensive problems can be sprinkled over just about everybody.
I agree wholeheartedly, and to say otherwise shows some serious lack of even the semblance of football knowledge.

House has been calling bad plays, regardless of the reason he has been poorly prepared for the last 5 games, with EWOO being the only potential acceptable spot. He has been unable to adjust mid game to defensive schemes and has been unable to call plays that allow the offense to be successful.

McKay hasn't been good the last 6 games, again regardless of the reason, he hasn't been good. He almost NEVER makes it past his first progression and stares down his receivers to the point he was burning a hole in their helmet with his eyes. Everyone knew where the ball was going, id says its a testament to his arm strength that he didn't have more balls picked off. Overall, he did an "ok" job with the rpo, you can only do so much when the defense knows whats coming. And overall he throws a nice deep ball with relative accuracy and gets it in the spot where a wr can catch it.

O-line play has not been good the last few weeks, they are overpowered at the line of scrimmage on many run plays - not opening holes, missing assignments, letting guys come in off the edge to make a TFL. They also have not been good in pass protection, some of this is on the coordinator and qb, but the o-line must play better.

WR need to run crisper routes, block a bit better and come down with some contested balls. But I largely give a pass to the wr group. In the griz game we use Mellott as a wr instead of Nate Stewart (# 10, if i have his name wrong) who is finally healthy. I believe (but could be mistaken) he caught the fade route ball in the back of the endzone at the end of the griz game - why wasn't he playing? Again a coaching issue.

I definitely think a lot of the offensive issues stem from Coach House, he needs to get the team together, effectively game plan to his weapons strengths and prove he is a d1 coach.

Just my .02.
There was a play in the game where Mellot rolled to his right. He had two options in the flats but both were covered. I thought Mellot better throw it out of bounds or he will take a sack. Tommy turned his head, made the next read and fired a dart to the wr coming across the middle from the other side. It jumped out at me as I couldn’t recall another play this season where our QB made another read like that. It could have been the play call, the line protection or the QB, but I felt a new sense of excitement for the offense at that moment. Hoping to see more of that this weekend.
I remember this play, I saw McCutcheon coming across the middle wide open and thinking "do we have a QB that will see that now?" and he turned his head and gunned it to him. Granted I don't remember McKay getting a lot of roll outs called that gave him time to scan the field like that but it was a definite feeling of turning a corner for me. The shots over the middle to Snell, even though we didn't get either, in the redzone also seemed like something we hadn't seen this year.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:48 am

The Butcher wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:07 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:39 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:53 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:29 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:10 pm
All the people that think the O-line is the problem; honest question have you watched the game film?
I haven't sat down and watched the O-line play extremely close, but this whole O-line narrative being the problem is suspect to me.
With an extremely predictable game plan it is pretty easy for a defense to call in plays that will beat your protections. When the defense is continually stacking the box and you run right into it, your O-line's success rate is going to be pretty low. We seldom audibled out of play calls as we all were looking at 7 or 8 rushes to 5 or 6 blockers. Sorry guys; the O-line isn't going to beat that look 75% of the time. UM killed us with run blitzes, so what did we do? We ran it of course. Again; unless someone has watched the breakdown of the game film, I would maybe take a step back on pinning the offensive problems on the O-line.
Who is saying the O-Line is solely to blame?

I have watched the oline underperform for weeks. It’s multiple problems, not just poor play. If you think the oline is playing well, you need to watch game film.
You have watched the actual breakdown of the game film? Included with that film you would need to know offensive calls (blocking duties) and what defense is being run (what gaps are the defenders responsible for). It would be pretty difficult to understand that from watching the TV recorded game, but if you have access to the actual line of scrimmage film from the football program than I would differ to your knowledge.
I'm confused, have you watched the actual line of scrimmage film from the football program with the aforementioned items? If so I'll gladly tell you I'm wrong.

Noone one here (from what i've seen) is saying the O-Line is the only offensive entity at fault. Does some poor blocking, missing assignments etc contribute to an offense that is already struggling? Absolutely. I'm unsure why you would argue this point.
You are the one implying you know that the o-line is failing, not me. If you make that assessment I assume you have supporting information… Evaluating the o-line from a TV production is pretty tough, but I guess you are able to do it.
I love how you say in the beginning "I haven't sat down and watched the O-line play extremely close, but this whole O-line narrative being the problem is suspect to me". If you aren't watching closely why in the world are you being antagonistic towards some posters ideas that the O-line didn't play well for a few weeks?

Just for reference this is the post that you are referring to:
I agree wholeheartedly, and to say otherwise shows some serious lack of even the semblance of football knowledge.

House has been calling bad plays, regardless of the reason he has been poorly prepared for the last 5 games, with EWOO being the only potential acceptable spot. He has been unable to adjust mid game to defensive schemes and has been unable to call plays that allow the offense to be successful.

McKay hasn't been good the last 6 games, again regardless of the reason, he hasn't been good. He almost NEVER makes it past his first progression and stares down his receivers to the point he was burning a hole in their helmet with his eyes. Everyone knew where the ball was going, id says its a testament to his arm strength that he didn't have more balls picked off. Overall, he did an "ok" job with the rpo, you can only do so much when the defense knows whats coming. And overall he throws a nice deep ball with relative accuracy and gets it in the spot where a wr can catch it.

O-line play has not been good the last few weeks, they are overpowered at the line of scrimmage on many run plays - not opening holes, missing assignments, letting guys come in off the edge to make a TFL. They also have not been good in pass protection, some of this is on the coordinator and qb, but the o-line must play better.

WR need to run crisper routes, block a bit better and come down with some contested balls. But I largely give a pass to the wr group. In the griz game we use Mellott as a wr instead of Nate Stewart (# 10, if i have his name wrong) who is finally healthy. I believe (but could be mistaken) he caught the fade route ball in the back of the endzone at the end of the griz game - why wasn't he playing? Again a coaching issue.

I definitely think a lot of the offensive issues stem from Coach House, he needs to get the team together, effectively game plan to his weapons strengths and prove he is a d1 coach.

Just my .02.

Also - I am a rational fan, I see the good and the bad. O-Line play against UT Martin was markedly better than the last 2-4 games, again, some had to do with play calling, some of it had to do with play of the qb and rb's. Some of it had to do with better execution on the O-Line.

I'm trying to not assume your just picking a fight to pick a fight.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:09 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:48 am
The Butcher wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:07 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:39 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:53 pm
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:29 pm
The Butcher wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:10 pm
All the people that think the O-line is the problem; honest question have you watched the game film?
I haven't sat down and watched the O-line play extremely close, but this whole O-line narrative being the problem is suspect to me.
With an extremely predictable game plan it is pretty easy for a defense to call in plays that will beat your protections. When the defense is continually stacking the box and you run right into it, your O-line's success rate is going to be pretty low. We seldom audibled out of play calls as we all were looking at 7 or 8 rushes to 5 or 6 blockers. Sorry guys; the O-line isn't going to beat that look 75% of the time. UM killed us with run blitzes, so what did we do? We ran it of course. Again; unless someone has watched the breakdown of the game film, I would maybe take a step back on pinning the offensive problems on the O-line.
Who is saying the O-Line is solely to blame?

I have watched the oline underperform for weeks. It’s multiple problems, not just poor play. If you think the oline is playing well, you need to watch game film.
You have watched the actual breakdown of the game film? Included with that film you would need to know offensive calls (blocking duties) and what defense is being run (what gaps are the defenders responsible for). It would be pretty difficult to understand that from watching the TV recorded game, but if you have access to the actual line of scrimmage film from the football program than I would differ to your knowledge.
I'm confused, have you watched the actual line of scrimmage film from the football program with the aforementioned items? If so I'll gladly tell you I'm wrong.

Noone one here (from what i've seen) is saying the O-Line is the only offensive entity at fault. Does some poor blocking, missing assignments etc contribute to an offense that is already struggling? Absolutely. I'm unsure why you would argue this point.
You are the one implying you know that the o-line is failing, not me. If you make that assessment I assume you have supporting information… Evaluating the o-line from a TV production is pretty tough, but I guess you are able to do it.
I love how you say in the beginning "I haven't sat down and watched the O-line play extremely close, but this whole O-line narrative being the problem is suspect to me". If you aren't watching closely why in the world are you being antagonistic towards some posters ideas that the O-line didn't play well for a few weeks?

Just for reference this is the post that you are referring to:

Just my .02.

Also - I am a rational fan, I see the good and the bad. O-Line play against UT Martin was markedly better than the last 2-4 games, again, some had to do with play calling, some of it had to do with play of the qb and rb's. Some of it had to do with better execution on the O-Line.

I'm trying to not assume your just picking a fight to pick a fight.
Your assumption is correct. I really could careless about picking a fight on Bobcat Nation.
My O-line and D-line knowledge is substantially higher than most fans, and I couldn't agree with your O-line assessment unless you have access to film resources that most don't.

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:24 pm

justafan wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:30 am
lutecat wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:28 pm
justafan wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:57 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:07 pm
Certainly McKay would have been on a full ride, no?
full rides and partial scholarships can be pulled or changed at any time so who knows maybe that came into play on his decision to enter the portal. It often happens to players after coaching changes. maybe he was full ride and told he was only getting partial or maybe scholarship talk was never even in the equation.
I seriously doubt they talked scholarships in the middle of the playoffs.
hence my last part of the last sentence.
Hence me agreeing with the later part of that sentence while disagreeing with the former part.