Mellott

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Mellott

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:43 pm

Mellott makes good decisions. MSU needs that more than a 300 yards passer that can’t make a good decision when the chips are down. There are a lot of quarterbacks like that all the way up to the NFL. Mellott has come through a lot in the few tight spots he’s been in.

The only play that was a bad decision was when he threw into wind funnel in what is the building and west grandstand. The coaches should have said “never throw to the left we get inside the 50 on that end. Brooks Nuanez was blown off the stool he uses to take pics. I went down there before the game and the wind was easily and steadily 10 mph stronger than the prevailing 26 mph winds. The gusts through there had to be in the 50s. Once you got down by the Holland EZ it was protected on the visitor side, but across the field it was nasty. All stadiums create swirling wind and Bobcat Stadium is no different.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:49 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:27 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:17 pm
Today's society - if you're not 100% sold and on board with something, you are a hater.
Yeah, no one got after me for my opinion of Mellott. And absolutely no one was dogging Tommy for not being ready, unable to throw the ball....

Funny how the narrative changes when your wrong.

There's 2 fricken threads full of haters since the Idaho game. enjoy stroking each other.
I specifically said to you the other day he scored 3 TDs in that game and that's awesome but he didn't start any of those drives, just finished them once we were inside the 25. He also threw the ball twice so I asked what about his game as a whole makes everyone so sure he's ready to be the guy. Explain to me and everyone else how that's being a hater.

And to the following you and anyone else can tell me to, what was it you said to me? Oh yes eat sh*t.

Tommy running wild on a mediocre ish run D and going 8-20 for 51 yards through the air showed us nothing we didn't already know, which is the young man can run the ball well and make good decisions in the read option game. But because of the wind we're still waiting to see as a dual threat QB if he is ready to be the guy, and a championship level QB.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:51 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:43 pm
Mellott makes good decisions. MSU needs that more than a 300 yards passer that can’t make a good decision when the chips are down. There are a lot of quarterbacks like that all the way up to the NFL. Mellott has come through a lot in the few tight spots he’s been in.

The only play that was a bad decision was when he threw into wind funnel in what is the building and west grandstand. The coaches should have said “never throw to the left we get inside the 50 on that end. Brooks Nuanez was blown off the stool he uses to take pics. I went down there before the game and the wind was easily and steadily 10 mph stronger than the prevailing 26 mph winds. The gusts through there had to be in the 50s. Once you got down by the Holland EZ it was protected on the visitor side, but across the field it was nasty. All stadiums create swirling wind and Bobcat Stadium is no different.
Vigen was visibly perturbed by that pass you are referring to, and I don't think it had anything to do with Tommy. He pointed to the flag, looked up to the press box and got on his headset.

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:53 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
The only play that was a bad decision was when he threw into wind funnel in what is the building and west grandstand.
I was wondering if he heaved it because he knew he had a free play as UTM was offsides despite the conditions(?). If he did, then I would say that was an exceptionally smart play as there was nothing to lose.

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:54 pm

Slackjaw wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:41 pm
This whole board needs to chill out. People are going to see things differently and they should be able to voice their opinions on what they see without all the childish attacks back and forth. As a long time cat fan, reading the back and forth attacks on this board has been pretty embarrassing the last couple weeks. This isn't life and death and having your opinions validated by anonymous people isn't that important. Chill.

Do I think Mellott is our best shot and do I expect he's a better passer than people are giving him credit for? Yes.

Do I think he is getting branded as being a bad passer because he's athletic ability seems on par with Andersen, who happened to struggle passing? Yes.

Do I believe it to be unreasonable to be suspect in his passing abilities because of the limited sample size and the results to date? No.

Do I think the starting QB of Montana Sate University should give a rats ass what an online message forum filled with a bunch of has-beens thinks? No, and if they do, they aren't equipped with the proper mentality to lead a college football team.

You all need to chill out.
We're 10-2 and have maybe the best path to Frisco I've seen since 2012, and I'm finding myself not wanting to log on to the place I've been posting and connecting with fellow Bobcat fans for 17 and a half years. Someone else in a different thread alluded to this as well, and I felt it.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:17 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:54 pm
Slackjaw wrote:
This whole board needs to chill out. People are going to see things differently and they should be able to voice their opinions on what they see without all the childish attacks back and forth. As a long time cat fan, reading the back and forth attacks on this board has been pretty embarrassing the last couple weeks. This isn't life and death and having your opinions validated by anonymous people isn't that important. Chill.

Do I think Mellott is our best shot and do I expect he's a better passer than people are giving him credit for? Yes.

Do I think he is getting branded as being a bad passer because he's athletic ability seems on par with Andersen, who happened to struggle passing? Yes.

Do I believe it to be unreasonable to be suspect in his passing abilities because of the limited sample size and the results to date? No.

Do I think the starting QB of Montana Sate University should give a rats ass what an online message forum filled with a bunch of has-beens thinks? No, and if they do, they aren't equipped with the proper mentality to lead a college football team.

We're 10-2 and have maybe the best path to Frisco I've seen since 2012, and I'm finding myself not wanting to log on to the place I've been posting and connecting with fellow Bobcat fans for 17 and a half years. Someone else in a different thread alluded to this as well, and I felt it.
Agreed, it’s been ugly lately. Way too egriz-esque.
And that’s NOT a good thing.

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:32 pm

Coming into the playoffs I felt NDSU was the best team followed - in order - by UM, MSU, SDSU, EWU, and Sac State. There is a non-zero chance my top 4 all make the semifinals, though JMU certainly came out swinging vs. SELA.

SHSU is no pushover, but I agree with you that MSU could have a much more difficult path to Frisco than the one they are currently on. I know others have touched upon it previously, but it does matter that SHSU hasn't really played a team better than the one they just faced in UIW. That team is not markedly better than the team MSU just played. In contrast, MSU has played three teams (Wyoming, EWU, UM) that are markedly better than UIW. This team has faced better offenses than SHSU and they have faced better defenses as well.

SHSU found ways to win in the spring playoffs (their total margin of victory in four playoff games was 15 points) but eventually their luck will run out.

Finally, SHSU is undisciplined. MSU is disciplined. For instance, MSU is one of the least penalized teams in FCS football (36 ypg). Sam Houston is...not (60 ypg). MSU also has a +10 turnover margin (12 games) compared to SHSU's +3 (11 games). And SHSU's pass defense is bad. Very bad. Bottom 10 in the FCS bad. They are also without their starting FS for the first half because of a targeting call against UIW. I think Mellott can have a good game passing against that defense.

rivercat wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:59 pm
SHSU was lucky to squeak by Incarnate Word and make it to the quarter finals. They play in a weak conference that results in their stats looking really good. They've played 2 ranked, but not top 15, teams and they were very close games.

Honestly I'd rather play SHSU than any remaining team from the Missouri Valley, Big Sky, or CAA. The Bobcats have a great chance of winning.

Bobcat Sig
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat Sig » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:57 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:54 pm
Slackjaw wrote:

I'm right there with you.

I long believed that we were fortunate to have some of the best, most gracious, and level-headed fans. Now? Not so much. In fact, I remarked to one of my best friends and fellow Bobcat fanatic about how toxic our fanbase has become. Perhaps Bobcatnation is nothing more than a vocal minority. Or maybe it's a microcosm of our society. Or maybe it's just the reality. I don't know. And I'm guilty of stoking the fire at times.

Nonetheless, Go 'CATS!

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:14 pm

coochorama42 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:32 pm
Coming into the playoffs I felt NDSU was the best team followed - in order - by UM, MSU, SDSU, EWU, and Sac State. There is a non-zero chance my top 4 all make the semifinals, though JMU certainly came out swinging vs. SELA.

SHSU is no pushover, but I agree with you that MSU could have a much more difficult path to Frisco than the one they are currently on. I know others have touched upon it previously, but it does matter that SHSU hasn't really played a team better than the one they just faced in UIW. That team is not markedly better than the team MSU just played. In contrast, MSU has played three teams (Wyoming, EWU, UM) that are markedly better than UIW. This team has faced better offenses than SHSU and they have faced better defenses as well.

SHSU found ways to win in the spring playoffs (their total margin of victory in four playoff games was 15 points) but eventually their luck will run out.

Finally, SHSU is undisciplined. MSU is disciplined. For instance, MSU is one of the least penalized teams in FCS football (36 ypg). Sam Houston is...not (60 ypg). MSU also has a +10 turnover margin (12 games) compared to SHSU's +3 (11 games). And SHSU's pass defense is bad. Very bad. Bottom 10 in the FCS bad. They are also without their starting FS for the first half because of a targeting call against UIW. I think Mellott can have a good game passing against that defense.

rivercat wrote:
SHSU was lucky to squeak by Incarnate Word and make it to the quarter finals. They play in a weak conference that results in their stats looking really good. They've played 2 ranked, but not top 15, teams and they were very close games.

Honestly I'd rather play SHSU than any remaining team from the Missouri Valley, Big Sky, or CAA. The Bobcats have a great chance of winning.
Agree to disagree about um being the 2nd best team in the country. Against the Cats they looked like the #2 team in the country and hats off to them for kicking butt in that game. But they played way above themselves that day.
I watched them lose at home to Sac State, and if not for a blocked kick, they would've lost at home to the worst team in the league, Southern Utah. Not to mention the game in Cheney where a late KO return TD was the only reason they were close at the end, if not for that they lose by double digits.
They are playing well now, for sure, but I'd still put 3 or 4 teams ahead of them. Soon as they play a game where they don't score (or get set up for an easy score) with their D or special teams, they will lose.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:44 pm

I just want to mention that throwing WITH the wind when it’s blowing like it was Saturday is also difficult. When it blows that hard it carries the ball more than you’d think or not as much as you’d think. It’s tricky.

I say this not as a seasoned quarterback, but a seasoned newspaper carrier who prides himself on hitting the top step and not slamming it into the door on every throw. [-( :D

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:49 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:14 pm
coochorama42 wrote:

rivercat wrote:

Agree to disagree about um being the 2nd best team in the country. Against the Cats they looked like the #2 team in the country and hats off to them for kicking butt in that game. But they played way above themselves that day.
I watched them lose at home to Sac State, and if not for a blocked kick, they would've lost at home to the worst team in the league, Southern Utah. Not to mention the game in Cheney where a late KO return TD was the only reason they were close at the end, if not for that they lose by double digits.
They are playing well now, for sure, but I'd still put 3 or 4 teams ahead of them. Soon as they play a game where they don't score (or get set up for an easy score) with their D or special teams, they will lose.
They were banged up pretty bad mid season, and dealing with several players down with the flu. Now back healthy they are looking more like the team that went into Husky stadium and won. They just pummeled EWU. I think the JMU game is going to be a hell of a brawl, but I would not be surprised if UM thumps them.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:45 pm

MSU Toddler wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:53 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
The only play that was a bad decision was when he threw into wind funnel in what is the building and west grandstand.
I was wondering if he heaved it because he knew he had a free play as UTM was offsides despite the conditions(?). If he did, then I would say that was an exceptionally smart play as there was nothing to lose.
If memory is correct that was the opposite direction.
The place being referred to or called twice down the left sideline going north west

MSU Toddler

Post by MSU Toddler » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:50 pm

kwcat wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:45 pm
MSU Toddler wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
The place being referred to or called twice down the left sideline going north west
I may be off, but the play I remember was when he threw into the wind towards the BAC and "shady side" of the stands (sorry - never have figured out north or west sides) - right at the cannon. It was picked off as the ball really just hung in the wind. However, UTM was offsides. Someone around me asked why would he make a throw like that into the wind, but then saw the flag and realized it was a free play. Sorry - I may have confused this with another play.

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:54 pm

UTM is in the review.

Nice win. Hopefully the weather is better in Texas.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:12 pm

MSU Toddler wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:50 pm
kwcat wrote:
MSU Toddler wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
I may be off, but the play I remember was when he threw into the wind towards the BAC and "shady side" of the stands (sorry - never have figured out north or west sides) - right at the cannon. It was picked off as the ball really just hung in the wind. However, UTM was offsides. Someone around me asked why would he make a throw like that into the wind, but then saw the flag and realized it was a free play. Sorry - I may have confused this with another play.
According to the play-by-play this was early in the second quarter MSU was going from the north west to the south east. It was third and 10 on the UTM 30. It was a free play and Melott threw it up and it was intercepted but they were offsides.
My seats are on the 50 above the old student section in section 111. I remember them going from my right to left.
The passes into the wind we’re on another series and I believe it was two plays in a row into the wind or just two plays in the same series.

MSU Toddler

Post by MSU Toddler » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:22 pm

kwcat wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:12 pm
MSU Toddler wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:50 pm
kwcat wrote:
MSU Toddler wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
According to the play-by-play this was early in the second quarter MSU was going from the north west to the south east. It was third and 10 on the UTM 30. It was a free play and Melott threw it up and it was intercepted but they were offsides.
My seats are on the 50 above the old student section in section 111. I remember them going from my right to left.
The passes into the wind we’re on another series and I believe it was two plays in a row into the wind or just two plays in the same series.
Thanks. I was trying to think of someone to call you a name an escalate things but am not that creative :D

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:23 pm

MSU Toddler wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Similar play, but the wrong one. The one you’re referencing did get intercepted. The one Tom is referencing did not. Dropped just shy of the defender.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:56 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:23 pm
MSU Toddler wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Similar play, but the wrong one. The one you’re referencing did get intercepted. The one Tom is referencing did not. Dropped just shy of the defender.
Correct. The prior play he threw it into the corner and it was almost picked. Then he saw flag and threw there again, which is okay, I guess. I'm talking about the prior play. The wind was howling through there and I'd think the coaches would've said that under now circumstances do you pass it into that vortex. Anyway, that's the only bad decision I recall. He fumbled and blames himself, but I think the defender just made a good play to free the ball from him. That and the fact that no one decides to fumble the ball. :)

toM StUber

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:29 pm

coochorama42 wrote:

rivercat wrote:

This game will tell us what we really have with Tommy at QB.

His first game was a great scenario. Playing after a bye week. At home against a team that wouldn't have made the playoffs if they played in the Big Sky. Terrible wind that led to both teams running a ton (his strong point).

His second game comes against a team that is great against the run but terrible against the pass. Tommy barely threw the ball last week so SHSU has almost no film on his passing game. If Tommy is at all accurate and Housewright calls plays that put us in position to succeed he could have a huge day, regardless of if we can run the ball or not. If he struggles throwing we'll likely get shut down on the ground and the game will get ugly. Either result will tell us a lot about how far he can take the team in 2022.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:17 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:29 pm
coochorama42 wrote:

rivercat wrote:

This game will tell us what we really have with Tommy at QB.

His first game was a great scenario. Playing after a bye week. At home against a team that wouldn't have made the playoffs if they played in the Big Sky. Terrible wind that led to both teams running a ton (his strong point).

His second game comes against a team that is great against the run but terrible against the pass. Tommy barely threw the ball last week so SHSU has almost no film on his passing game. If Tommy is at all accurate and Housewright calls plays that put us in position to succeed he could have a huge day, regardless of if we can run the ball or not. If he struggles throwing we'll likely get shut down on the ground and the game will get ugly. Either result will tell us a lot about how far he can take the team in 2022.
Mellott still has some growth to do at the position. Even if he throws for 300 yards and 4 TDs, I don't think anyone knows just what kind of QB he's going to end up being yet. He's got a lot of the variables that make a great QB, but he still needs to put it all together. He's not as far along as DeNarius McGhee was at the same point. Montana QBs just don't get as much exposure/training as QBs from more populated states. I think the day is coming for that, but you just don't see too many QBs from Montana excel in Division I football, especially early in their careers. I'm confident that he'll get there. No matter what he's going to be a big part of the MSU offense.

toM StUber