Sam Houston

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Sam Houston

Post by Lord Vigo » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:01 pm

utucats wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:46 am
It’s been talked about a lot, but SHSU has had a cake of a schedule. I expect our defense is going to continue their domination even against the defending champs.

Looking at the total defense numbers here is what SHSU has faced this year:

NAU - Defense not in the Top 50 in FCS(42-16)
SEMO - Defense not in the Top 50 in FCS(52-14)
Central Arkansas - Defense not in Top 50 in FCS(45-35)
Stephen F Austin - #17 defense in FCS(21-20)
Lamar - Defense not in Top 50 in FCS(41-7)
Jacksonville State - Defense not in Top 50 in FCS(42-7)
Tarleton State - Defense not in Top 50 in FCS(45-27)
Dixie State - Defense not in Top 50 in FCS(59-10)
Eastern Kentucky - Defense not in Top 50 in FCS(42-28)
Abilene Christian - Defense not in Top 50 in FCS(35-9)
Incarnate Word - Defense not in Top 50 in FCS(49-42)

One game this year against a Top 50 defense and they score a season low 21 and only win by a point.

SFA defense is ranked 17 and gives up 311.4 yards per game. Our Cats D is ranked 11 and gives up 280.6 per game.
And just to add more data, scoring defense...

-NAU: 30.0 ppg (80th)
-SEMO: 31 (90th)
-CARK: 28.7 (73rd)
-SFA: 19.3 (20th)
-LAM: 39.8 (118th)
-JSU: 28.4 (68th)
-TARL: 21.8 (27th)
-DIX: 39.6 (113th)
-EKU: 25.0 (45th)
-ACU: 25.5 (52nd)
-IW: 25.1 (47th)

I think that just underlines your point. They've played one defense defense on the entire season, and even SFA is substantially worse that MSU (13.2 ppg; 3rd).

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:06 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:07 am
utucats wrote:
It’s been talked about a lot, but SHSU has had a cake of a schedule. I expect our defense is going to continue their domination even against the defending champs.

One game this year against a Top 50 defense and they score a season low 21 and only win by a point.

SFA defense is ranked 17 and gives up 311.4 yards per game. Our Cats D is ranked 11 and gives up 280.6 per game.
Their QB was out against SFA.

They HAVE been battle tested. This team won the fake national championship last spring, beating NDSU, JMU, and SDSU. Normally, I'd put less stock in last year, but because of the covid eligibility rule, basically 100% of the team returned.

So not only is this the most tested team in the field, its also been able to rest guys for significant stretches of the season while beating up on teams like Tarleton St.

I'm pretty confident in our D. Troy & Co should hold them to under 24. I'm not confident at all in the O. Even though the O looked a lot better yesterday with Tommy at the helm, Sammy will be every bit as tough against the run as UM. Certainly tougher than any other non-UM team. They look like they might be a little susceptible to the pass...so if Tommy can pass like UIWs stud NFL prospect, then the Cats should be able to move the ball & put up points If Sammy can stack the box and sell out to stop the run like UM, its going to be a fast, disappointing trip to TX.
This season, they most certainly have not been battle-tested, or anything like it. They've played no one. The best defense they've seen is worse than SAC, and the majority of their opponents' defense have been horrendous.

I'm sure they're good. Their defense seems to match up with well with what the Cats do. A win in Hunstville won't be easy I'm sure SHSU will be favored.

But they definitely haven't been tested by anything even remotely similar to MSU.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:25 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:06 pm
onceacat wrote:
utucats wrote:

They HAVE been battle tested. This team won the fake national championship last spring, beating NDSU, JMU, and SDSU. Normally, I'd put less stock in last year, but because of the covid eligibility rule, basically 100% of the team returned.

So not only is this the most tested team in the field, its also been able to rest guys for significant stretches of the season while beating up on teams like Tarleton St.

I'm pretty confident in our D. Troy & Co should hold them to under 24. I'm not confident at all in the O. Even though the O looked a lot better yesterday with Tommy at the helm, Sammy will be every bit as tough against the run as UM. Certainly tougher than any other non-UM team. They look like they might be a little susceptible to the pass...so if Tommy can pass like UIWs stud NFL prospect, then the Cats should be able to move the ball & put up points If Sammy can stack the box and sell out to stop the run like UM, its going to be a fast, disappointing trip to TX.
This season, they most certainly have not been battle-tested, or anything like it. They've played no one. The best defense they've seen is worse than SAC, and the majority of their opponents' defense have been horrendous.

I'm sure they're good. Their defense seems to match up with well with what the Cats do. A win in Hunstville won't be easy I'm sure SHSU will be favored.

But they definitely haven't been tested by anything even remotely similar to MSU.
Sorry, man, but April WAS this season. Its all the same kids playing. If there were a bunch of dudes that left...sure...but the fake nature of the 2020 playoffs means THIS team has been tested by the best of the best. This exact team beat NDSU, SDSU, and JMU THIS YEAR.

Yes, they've been "tested" by teams that are the same caliber as MSU.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:30 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:01 pm
onceacat wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:37 pm
utucats wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:17 pm
onceacat wrote:
utucats wrote:

Tommy doesn’t need to pass like UIW’s QB. He needs to complete just enough throws to keep the D honest. Our running game is not going to be near as pedestrian as it was against the griz because we now have a QB that will keep the ball and isn’t scared of contact so we can run an actual read option.
Disagree. The Griz had zero problem shutting down the option with Tommy. Zero problem shutting down Ifanse.

If Tommy can hit 60% for a 7-8 yard average, then yeah, Cats have a chance. But 40% for 3 yards per attempt isn't going to cut it (yeah, yeah...the wind blah blah blah). On the season prior to yesterday, he was still only 50% with a 3 yard per attempt average.

I have no idea how TMs passing game is going to develop. Obviously, 3 weeks to take all the snaps should help. But "keeping them honest" means that he needs to improve in a hurry.
Anybody who is going to seriously take a 2-3 pass sample size and extrapolate that should never use statistics again.

You got it right in the last paragraph though. We don’t know enough to say one way or the other.
Yeah, man, literally nobody is extrapolating TMs first 24 pass attempts. Which is good, because they've been really bad...like Ty Bruggman or Chris Murray bad. Maybe there's a good explanation, maybe not.

All I said is that he has to improve dramatically from his first 24 attempts in order for the Cats to have a shot in Huntsville.

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:32 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:25 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
onceacat wrote:
utucats wrote:

Sorry, man, but April WAS this season. Its all the same kids playing. If there were a bunch of dudes that left...sure...but the fake nature of the 2020 playoffs means THIS team has been tested by the best of the best. This exact team beat NDSU, SDSU, and JMU THIS YEAR.

A fake spring season without all the teams, players, stakes, etc. is completely irrelevant.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:47 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:32 pm
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
onceacat wrote:
utucats wrote:

A fake spring season without all the teams, players, stakes, etc. is completely irrelevant.
It’s not irrelevant but I don’t believe they are the world beaters onceacat seems to think they are.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:27 pm

utucats wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:47 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
onceacat wrote:
utucats wrote:

It’s not irrelevant but I don’t believe they are the world beaters onceacat seems to think they are.
Last Springs championship looked like it would be a blowout win by SDSU and then their QB got injured and it became a dog fight that Sammy ultimately won by 2.

I would rather play SHSU than NDSU, SDSU, JMU, and UM for sure and possibly even 'Nova. SHSU is good, but not top of the FCS.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:13 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
onceacat wrote:
utucats wrote:

Totally agree about the fake spring season. Remind me again which players were JMU & SDSU missing?

The hilarious part is that ONLY Bobcat fans think that the spring season is irrelevant.

100% of the coaches voting in the FCS poll think its relevant, 99% of the media in the FCS polls think its relevant, the playoff committee thinks its relevant.

But some anonymous dudes in Montana on Social Media who probably didn't watch the spring playoffs or more than a couple games think its irrelevant.

Gotcha! The best team from 3 months ago on a 11 game win streak is irrelevant!!! Totally makes sense.

All snark aside, I'm quite confident that Vigen & the rest of the team don't consider playing the best team in the country as perfunctory as many of the fans on this board do.
Last edited by onceacat on Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:15 pm

Weather for Saturday looks like thunderstorms in the morning. Possibly showers in the evening and 10 to 15 mph winds. Temp's in loa 50's at game Time.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:25 pm

rivercat wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:27 pm
utucats wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
onceacat wrote:
utucats wrote:

Last Springs championship looked like it would be a blowout win by SDSU and then their QB got injured and it became a dog fight that Sammy ultimately won by 2.

I would rather play SHSU than NDSU, SDSU, JMU, and UM for sure and possibly even 'Nova. SHSU is good, but not top of the FCS.
Yeah...I said they were "tested" and all of a sudden Sammy is the best team to ever play college football, they'd probably blowout 'Bama on Friday night and still have enough gas to beat Georgia by 2 scores on Saturday morning.

In all honesty, the FCS championship is as up for grabs as its ever been in the last 10 years. Sammy is clearly the front runner, but there are 8 teams still playing that all have a 10% or better chance of winning out in Frisco.

Its just pretty crystal clear that Sammy is 100% legit. They should be favored by 5 or 7 points this weekend because they are a team thats 1) Talented 2) Tested 3) Well coached and 4) with home field advantage. Cats have a legit chance to pull off the upset, but acting like somehow Sammy is "untested" is probably the most absurd thing anyone has said on social media in the last month.

weirdolocalthatlikesbozonow
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by weirdolocalthatlikesbozonow » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:40 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:30 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:01 pm

Anybody who is going to seriously take a 2-3 pass sample size and extrapolate that should never use statistics again.

You got it right in the last paragraph though. We don’t know enough to say one way or the other.
Yeah, man, literally nobody is extrapolating TMs first 24 pass attempts. Which is good, because they've been really bad...like Ty Bruggman or Chris Murray bad. Maybe there's a good explanation, maybe not.

All I said is that he has to improve dramatically from his first 24 attempts in order for the Cats to have a shot in Huntsville.

I'd agree with Belligerent bobcat, we don't know one way or the other.
I would say the key explanation for the shoddy passing though was the wind gusts. I definitely saw a few balls get blown around a little midflight.

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:45 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:25 pm
rivercat wrote:
utucats wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
onceacat wrote:
utucats wrote:

Yeah...I said they were "tested" and all of a sudden Sammy is the best team to ever play college football, they'd probably blowout 'Bama on Friday night and still have enough gas to beat Georgia by 2 scores on Saturday morning.

In all honesty, the FCS championship is as up for grabs as its ever been in the last 10 years. Sammy is clearly the front runner, but there are 8 teams still playing that all have a 10% or better chance of winning out in Frisco.

Its just pretty crystal clear that Sammy is 100% legit. They should be favored by 5 or 7 points this weekend because they are a team thats 1) Talented 2) Tested 3) Well coached and 4) with home field advantage. Cats have a legit chance to pull off the upset, but acting like somehow Sammy is "untested" is probably the most absurd thing anyone has said on social media in the last month.
I agree that Sammy is talented and a very good team. It's not their fault that they play in a weak conference. They beat every team on their schedule.

I would put them at #5 right now and that's ahead of MSU. I don't think it's valid to use their stats garnered from playing a weak schedule in determining how they match up to teams in tougher conferences.

That's why FCS playoffs are great. To be the best, you have to beat the best.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:47 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:13 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
onceacat wrote:
utucats wrote:

Totally agree about the fake spring season. Remind me again which players were JMU & SDSU missing?

The hilarious part is that ONLY Bobcat fans think that the spring season is irrelevant.

100% of the coaches voting in the FCS poll think its relevant, 99% of the media in the FCS polls think its relevant, the playoff committee thinks its relevant.

But some anonymous dudes in Montana on Social Media who probably didn't watch the spring playoffs or more than a couple games think its irrelevant.

Gotcha! The best team from 3 months ago on a 11 game win streak is irrelevant!!! Totally makes sense.

All snark aside, I'm quite confident that Vigen & the rest of the team don't consider playing the best team in the country as perfunctory as many of the fans on this board do.
All snark aside on my part, I don’t think that this is a weak opponent at all. I actually think they’re a very good opponent that could definitely defeat MSU.

But at the same time, I don’t think they’ve played anyone, especially on defense, and I don’t think they’re quite worthy to be ranked #1 in the country.

And I could care less what happened in an irrelevant spring season that didn’t feature all the teams, players, stakes, and goals that come with a real season.

Bocephus

Post by Bocephus » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:51 pm

Think untested as in Sac State….

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:21 pm

onceacat wrote:
rivercat wrote:
utucats wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
onceacat wrote:
utucats wrote:

Ok got it! Those of us who have used the term untested are idiots and you point out that because the spring season was this calendar year that it was THIS season!! They played all the best teams during that spring playoff and they are legit.

Also understand that calling them untested is so offensive to you that it is “probably the most absurd thing ANYONE has said on social media this month.” With all the ridiculous BS spewed about on social media, the statement that a football team has not been tested is at the top of your list :-k

If I’m following your posts so far Sammy is battle tested bad asses, Mellot is the 2nd coming of Bruggman and Murray and it’s going to be a short trip for us to Texas. Quick question, are you on the right site? Seems you might be a fan of the other team.

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:39 pm

Maybe if people could stop trying to dunk long enough to talk. Just a thought.

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:40 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:15 pm
Weather for Saturday looks like thunderstorms in the morning. Possibly showers in the evening and 10 to 15 mph winds. Temp's in loa 50's at game Time.
Bowers Stadium is down in a bowl so wind shouldn’t be a factor. We’re going to see what Tommy’s got!

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:57 pm

utucats wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:21 pm
onceacat wrote:
rivercat wrote:
utucats wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
onceacat wrote:
utucats wrote:

Ok got it! Those of us who have used the term untested are idiots and you point out that because the spring season was this calendar year that it was THIS season!! They played all the best teams during that spring playoff and they are legit.

Also understand that calling them untested is so offensive to you that it is “probably the most absurd thing ANYONE has said on social media this month.” With all the ridiculous BS spewed about on social media, the statement that a football team has not been tested is at the top of your list :-k

If I’m following your posts so far Sammy is battle tested bad asses, Mellot is the 2nd coming of Bruggman and Murray and it’s going to be a short trip for us to Texas. Quick question, are you on the right site? Seems you might be a fan of the other team.
Huh? Yeah, Sammy is total badasses. All 8 teams that are left are badass teams. Cause its the playoff.

And I'm not offended that someone called Sammy untested...just pointing out the absurdity of the statement.

And obviously Mellot isn't the second coming of Tyler Bruggman. But he could be Chris Murray. But as you pointed out before, thats based on a really small sample size. But so far his passing isn't any better than Chris'. I've said repeatedly that the jury is out. We will get a chance to see next week. If he completes 60% and 7-8 yards per attempt, the Cats have a really good shot at knocking off the #1 team in the country.

I'm not sure what seems so out of line there...or anything that I said that would make someone think I don't like the Cats.

I'm not the one on the message board calling players "bitches"...so what do I know?

jgrilley406
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by jgrilley406 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:09 pm

So obviously idk who all was missing in the spring but just looking at JMU SDSU and NDSU and just looking at just the qb and rb position, JMU has a different leading RB, SDSU lost their spring starter and the one who filled in in the spring isn’t their qb for this season, and NDSU their top two RBs weren’t in for the spring and they didn’t have their running qb. Then just looking at those three teams against SHSU, I noticed that they kept SHSU rb relatively in check and thus kept the game close. It’s going to be hard to stop SHSU but I think if we try and follow that same formula of stopping the run and just try and make them as one dimensional as possible will give us a good shot at pulling off an upset.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:12 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:57 pm
utucats wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:21 pm
onceacat wrote:
rivercat wrote:
utucats wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Lord Vigo wrote:
onceacat wrote:
utucats wrote:

Huh? Yeah, Sammy is total badasses. All 8 teams that are left are badass teams. Cause its the playoff.

And I'm not offended that someone called Sammy untested...just pointing out the absurdity of the statement.

And obviously Mellot isn't the second coming of Tyler Bruggman. But he could be Chris Murray. But as you pointed out before, thats based on a really small sample size. But so far his passing isn't any better than Chris'. I've said repeatedly that the jury is out. We will get a chance to see next week. If he completes 60% and 7-8 yards per attempt, the Cats have a really good shot at knocking off the #1 team in the country.

I'm not sure what seems so out of line there...or anything that I said that would make someone think I don't like the Cats.

I'm not the one on the message board calling players "bitches"...so what do I know?
Just ex players that quit in the middle of the season but let’s not get back into that again. I know you get hung up on specific words and not the overall thought so I don’t want to rehash.

I started a thread trying to look at stats for SHSU and just concentrate on the game and you are going down this path that someone who doesn’t agree with your take has made the most absurd statement on social media. You oversell your point and then act like anyone who disagrees has some crazy point of view.

Let’s sum it up and move on:

You think Sam Houston is tested due the the spring season and we don’t because of their cupcake schedule. We are idiots and you are smart. Got it. Next topic.