MSU 26, UTM 7: Post-Game Thoughts

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

MSU 26, UTM 7: Post-Game Thoughts

Post by Lord Vigo » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:15 pm

These are just my observations:
  • I've seen some comments that the crowd seemed dead and the players lacked enthusiasm. That wasn't my experience at all. It was a good turnout; the crowd was into the game and making noise. I sit right behind the MSU bench, and they were hyped and engaging the fans.
  • Ironically, this was the first game where I really felt definitively that Housewright is in over his head. You have a freshman QB who is a run-first player, you're playing a team you can run on, it's incredibly windy, and you try to get cute with lots of pass play calls. On the first offensive drive, they picked up 15 yards on two runs, and then three straight passes (turnover on downs). On the first touchdown drive, they passed twice (both incomplete) on 1st and 2nd down from the UTM 30 (got bailed out by the off-sides penalty. This got cleaned up in the 2nd half, but I was baffled by the approach.
  • Mellott is not going to rack up a bunch of yards in the air, but I believe he can definitely offer more than he showed in this game. If you weren't there, it was windy. People's hats were flying off in the stands, garbage was flying around... it was bad.
  • What Tommy offers on the ground makes him a clear upgrade to what they were getting from McKay. I am sure many fans are frustrated that we remain without a passing attack that seriously threatens defenses, and I get their frustration. But the reality is that they needed to play the guy who offers the most value to the offense, and that's clearly Mellott. His impact in the running game far outweighs any edge McKay had as a passer.
  • This defense is so good you almost start to take it for granted. 3.1 yards allowed per play today. 0 points surrendered to the offense. O'Reilly was fantastic.
  • While we anticipate losing a ton of talent on defense (Andersen, Hardy, Benson, Williams), it was great to see excellent outings from younger guys, like Woodard and Valdez (both freshmen) or Zambrano (sophomore). MSU has played young guys at corner, but they've got a full season under their belts now and the future looks bright out there.
  • As has been mentioned, Patterson had a great game. He played clutch and smart both as the returner and on offense. It's so funny to me that on the day he gets replaced (Patterson was the PR until he pulled his hammy) and the wind is blowing like crazy, he has easily his best day fielding and returning punts. Go figure.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: MSU 26, UTM 7: Post-Game Thoughts

Post by rivercat » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:34 pm

I thought this was one of Houserights better called games. Even though they completed only 40%, the fact that the Cats were passing occasionally when not forced to loosened up the run game. If Houseright would have kept running play after play UTM would have loaded the box even more than they did and then forced the Cats to pass. Passing by choice is better than being forced to pass because it allows the run game to work.

I'm not sold on Houseright but this was one of his best efforts, especially given the weather conditions.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:43 pm

I thought the crowd was awesome, loud, and into the game.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:43 pm

rivercat wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:34 pm
I thought this was one of Houserights better called games. Even though they completed only 40%, the fact that the Cats were passing occasionally when not forced to loosened up the run game. If Houseright would have kept running play after play UTM would have loaded the box even more than they did and then forced the Cats to pass. Passing by choice is better than being forced to pass because it allows the run game to work.

I'm not sold on Houseright but this was one of his best efforts, especially given the weather conditions.
I wasn’t box counting all night, but I don’t think they could have stacked it much more than what they did.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:46 pm

Like I said before, if Tommy connects on the two passes to Snell and the ball to McCutcheon, that changes the outlook of the passing game completely. I think Housewright put our guys in scenarios to make plays and with more game reps they will get it done.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Blixtonz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Blixtonz » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:51 pm

I thought Houseright called one of his best games. I was worried he would restrict Tommy's passing even though the conditions were not ideal. It was great to see him focus on passing early with our new QB.

I still felt there was a tendency to get too conservative on offense with the lead, but that may just be my bias at work.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:56 pm

rivercat wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:34 pm

He probably went back and watched every 2019 game and used those plays.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:57 am

I mentioned this elsewhere, but I was in the stadium before players were in uniform. When the QBs were warming up, their throws into the wind were being pulled 1-2 yards from left to right on about a 20 yard throw. I agree that early throws were in place to establish that as a threat, but the plan was always to beat them on the ground.

I think the offensive game plan was phenomenal today. The ground game looked great and the passing game showed real promise. The timing was off for obvious reasons (the wind + Mellott's 1st start coming in a playoff game).

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:34 am

Tommy looks like he trusts his receivers. He doesn't hesitate. Matt didn't used to...but he changed soon after his first interception.

2024 Resume dominance

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:26 am

Blixtonz wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:51 pm
I thought Houseright called one of his best games. I was worried he would restrict Tommy's passing even though the conditions were not ideal. It was great to see him focus on passing early with our new QB.

I still felt there was a tendency to get too conservative on offense with the lead, but that may just be my bias at work.
I fully agree with this and I’ve been super critical of HW. The play calling looked a lot more like the first half of the season, which probably indicates that MM was making the wrong reads. Not saying Tommy made the right ones but he made different ones than MM had been making.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:38 am

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:43 pm
I thought the crowd was awesome, loud, and into the game.
Agreed!

Great atmosphere! Stadium looked full! Very loud on defense.

Great day to be a bobcat!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:15 am

It was a great atmosphere although I do not understand why we can't fill the stands for a playoff game. WTF? Windiest game I've ever been to at Bobcat Stadium.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:24 am

The defense was spectacular yesterday. Like...everyone had a great game and did their job at a high level. This play from Troy though:

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:41 am

Bounces off 2 different blockers and makes the TFL. He is pretty incredible.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:54 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:24 am
The defense was spectacular yesterday. Like...everyone had a great game and did their job at a high level. This play from Troy though:

He is so, so, good.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:05 pm

This is the game summary from the UTM site.

https://utmsports.com/news/2021/12/4/fo ... tana-state

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:33 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:24 am

I watched it back on espn+ last night and noticed a play where the UTM QB was looking for the slant, Troy read his eyes and dropped into the lane, the QB checked down into the flat on the other side of the field, and Troy sprinted from the boundary hash to the field sideline to get in on the tackle. Are you kidding me??

DMMDCats

Post by DMMDCats » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:00 pm

GOOD - scheme, execution, WP, DEFENSE

Bad - still some pass blocking issues but better this week and a rolling pocket. This could be good, just saying.

Ugly - The girl that got the dui on Kagy. Her friends bailed quick.

The WIND

AP pulls a hammy.
WP amazes.

TA is, well, TA.
This defense is good, some may have missed that.

TM showed what the offense can do when the reads are done, not just hand it to 22. Room for improvement but improvement there will be.

WIND, that was moving the ball on the punter drop. Play cards and playbooks all over the place.
WIND.

And this one guy in 111 yelling at the coaches. They heard you. Oh ya. They heard you. (I’m not complaining, you paid the fee, you did your job).

I really think the wind led to a perceived subdued atmo. People were always worried about all the :D :D crap they bring in the stadium blowing away. Or dirt in their food??? (Can’t you just eat at tailgate like normal people?) or their food blowing away, etc.

Sound waves travel on the air. When the wind takes your sound the other way…

That guy in 111… \:D/

God, I love this team.

What a great day to be a BOBCAT.

Have a wonderful day!!

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:17 pm

The defense great. Offense still needing improvement, but performed overall well. Head scratcher the two passes down the left sideline for 25 or 30 yards into what I perceived about a 40 mile an hour wind.
So then I thought the wind must be a mirage!🥴
I didn’t hear any noise but I did have earmuffs on!😝

Don’t know who the loud guy in 111 is? But my seat is in 111 and my in-laws say I’m pretty loud!

Seriously at times I wonder what it takes to get the crowd pumped up. We did gain energy as the game progressed. But I think we’ve taken a step back since 2019 in the volume department. Maybe I’m just getting hard of hearing!
Holy cow! Does anybody know the schedule for the sound system getting fixed?
I thought the student running across the field without his shirt was awesome! Took me back to the 80’s!

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:32 pm

[media] [/media]

I know this interview was posted as part of the overall post game presser. But I thought I would post it individually for those that wanted to see it.