Transfer Portal needs

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: Transfer Portal needs

Post by AFCAT » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:03 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:39 pm
The QB position just got a lot more interesting for obvious reasons. I really wouldn’t be surprised to see some kind of transfer, whether it’s a drop down or a JC.

McKay- probably 95% of BN thought this was our guy for the next year and a half as of 6-7 weeks ago. Gone.

Rovig- has 1 year of eligibility left, but has also graduated. He’s likely done after this year, but who knows after this latest development.

Bauman- has 2 years of eligibility left and has shown some serious promise, but if Mellott shows that he’s likely the guy going forward, does he stick around?

Sean Austin- fellow freshman with Mellott. If Mellott is the guy, does Austin stick around?

So I guess my point is, even if we’ve found our guy for the next 3 years in Mellott, we could be losing a TON of experience in the QB room next year. So I’d be a bit surprised if someone else isn’t brought in.
Jordan Reed too. He is an intriguing prospect coming in next month.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:14 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:20 pm
Bobcat Sig wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:15 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:55 pm
Bobcat Sig wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:50 pm
autocat wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:12 pm
Now that we have a QB position open for next year, we could get a quality transfer if that what’s needed?

Wishful thinking but Rattler probably goes to another FBS school what about Martinez from Nebraska, he’s transferring (dude doesn’t throw much with efficiency? Or develop the current cast of QB’s on the roster. Either way we are in a good situation, I’LL TRUST THE COACHES ON THAT DECISION

We can hash this out later, WE HAVE SOME PLAYOFFS GAMES TO WIN!!!!!
I would bet a crisp high five that Rattler follows Lincoln Riley to USC.
Sure, I’m sure Rattler will follow the coach that benched him.
Ride the bench in Norman, OK, or compete for a chance to start in Southern California? I know where I'd go...
He's not staying in Norman, and neither is Caleb Williams. He's not going to go back up the guy he's currently backing up at another school. There's probably 50 FBS schools that would be happy to being him in to start. Washington, UCLA, Texas Tech, Texas, Baylor, Iowa State, Miami, Florida State, North Carolina just to name a few.
I say this as a Miami fan (unfortunately), they’re pretty set at QB.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:35 am

Catsrgrood wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:39 pm
The QB position just got a lot more interesting for obvious reasons. I really wouldn’t be surprised to see some kind of transfer, whether it’s a drop down or a JC.

McKay- probably 95% of BN thought this was our guy for the next year and a half as of 6-7 weeks ago. Gone.

Rovig- has 1 year of eligibility left, but has also graduated. He’s likely done after this year, but who knows after this latest development.

Bauman- has 2 years of eligibility left and has shown some serious promise, but if Mellott shows that he’s likely the guy going forward, does he stick around?

Sean Austin- fellow freshman with Mellott. If Mellott is the guy, does Austin stick around?

So I guess my point is, even if we’ve found our guy for the next 3 years in Mellott, we could be losing a TON of experience in the QB room next year. So I’d be a bit surprised if someone else isn’t brought in.
I was just going to ask how Austin has progressed his redshirt year. Has anyone heard how he has looked in practice/drills? I seem to remember BOTH Choate and Vigen were high on him.

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:01 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:14 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Bobcat Sig wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Bobcat Sig wrote:
autocat wrote:
Now that we have a QB position open for next year, we could get a quality transfer if that what’s needed?

Wishful thinking but Rattler probably goes to another FBS school what about Martinez from Nebraska, he’s transferring (dude doesn’t throw much with efficiency? Or develop the current cast of QB’s on the roster. Either way we are in a good situation, I’LL TRUST THE COACHES ON THAT DECISION

Ride the bench in Norman, OK, or compete for a chance to start in Southern California? I know where I'd go...
He's not staying in Norman, and neither is Caleb Williams. He's not going to go back up the guy he's currently backing up at another school. There's probably 50 FBS schools that would be happy to being him in to start. Washington, UCLA, Texas Tech, Texas, Baylor, Iowa State, Miami, Florida State, North Carolina just to name a few.
I say this as a Miami fan (unfortunately), they’re pretty set at QB.
(unfortunately) - why? you don't enjoy being a middle tier team in the weakest P5 conference and continually losing the recruiting battle for kids literally 3 minutes from campus? I JUST LOVE IT.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

ghobs95
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ghobs95 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:45 am

PapaG wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:26 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:07 pm
CodyCat wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:03 pm
Adrian Martinez just entered the portal.
That would be a great running QB who can't really pass, which we have never seen!
As a Duck fan and MSU alum, I feel like I’ve been watching the same team since 2015.
I don't know that I'd compare Herbert's years to the Chris Murray/Andersen/... experience, but as a fellow Duck fan watching Anthony Brown and McKay this year (and the teams as a whole honestly) really felt like deja-vu.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:01 pm

ghobs95 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:45 am
PapaG wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:26 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:07 pm
CodyCat wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:03 pm
Adrian Martinez just entered the portal.
That would be a great running QB who can't really pass, which we have never seen!
As a Duck fan and MSU alum, I feel like I’ve been watching the same team since 2015.
I don't know that I'd compare Herbert's years to the Chris Murray/Andersen/... experience, but as a fellow Duck fan watching Anthony Brown and McKay this year (and the teams as a whole honestly) really felt like deja-vu.
I meant more about the offense and defense never syncing up and Herbert was never used properly by Arroyo when he was OC in Eugene. That was a product of Helfrich not caring about recruiting more than anything, though, and he lucked into Herbert. Imagine if Justin didn’t go to the summer camp in Eugene and had been a Bobcat, which is what his plan was prior to his senior HS season.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:56 pm

Bobcat Sig wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:22 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Bobcat Sig wrote:
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Bobcat Sig wrote:
autocat wrote:

Yes, I know. Thank you for proving my point. :D
I have my doubts Rattler would go with Riley as Belligerent said because Riley is the one who benched him. Riley COULD have seen something in him that made him bench him. And Rattler COULD have some hard feelings about the coach who benched him. I don't know if either of those are true, but I'd say the odds are good that one of them is.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:01 pm

We won't need any transfers on special teams. We are looking pretty god there for a few years!

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:45 pm

I wonder if Grady Robison is the heir apparent at Western Kentucky or if he has any desire to go back to the first team that wanted him? WKU has a sophomore transfer from San Diego State that got cleanup snaps when they played UT Martin (lol) in their season opener.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:59 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:45 pm
I wonder if Grady Robison is the heir apparent at Western Kentucky or if he has any desire to go back to the first team that wanted him? WKU has a sophomore transfer from San Diego State that got cleanup snaps when they played UT Martin (lol) in their season opener.
He entered the transfer portal a few weeks ago.
https://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/wku/ ... 4ac78.html

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:03 pm

Dae Dae Hunter - running back

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:15 pm

He heard about MM.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:02 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:59 pm
Prodigal Cat wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:45 pm
He entered the transfer portal a few weeks ago.
https://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/wku/ ... 4ac78.html
Wow! I know the Cats really wanted to keep him committed back in 2019. Too bad for him, hopes he finds a good home outside the Big Sky.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:06 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:15 pm
He heard about MM.

Wasn’t he the guy that signed a huge NIL agreement with some company this year?

ND0479

Post by ND0479 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:25 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:06 pm
ND0479 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:15 pm
He heard about MM.

Wasn’t he the guy that signed a huge NIL agreement with some company this year?
Yep. Skipped his senior year in HS to graduate early and get that 1.4 mm autograph deal, local dealership gave orat least let him use a truck, few other small deals too. Transfer portal is going to be insane this year.