Matt McKay into the NCAA Transfer Portal

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bob12
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Matt McKay into the NCAA Transfer Portal

Post by bob12 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:52 pm

utucats wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:47 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:41 pm
I'm confused as to what makes people think the offense will look any different with a freshman under center, who hasn't started in a meaningful game in over 2 years? An offense that has the same O line and offensive coordinator. I'm not saying he won't be good, but there's literally been nothing to show that he is going to be any better in the passing game.
There is nothing showing that he won’t improve the passing game. I’m sure he can chuck uncatchable balls out of bounds as well as McKay. If he does anything other than that we are improving.

I think he throws for 200+ and 2 TDs on Saturday and everyone has amnesia about ever doubting him.
If you French Fry when you should Pizza, you're gonna have a bad day... Darsh

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:58 pm

Cledus wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:16 pm
It sure is weird that God would tell him to pack up and find some place new (again) rather than confront these anxiety issues and work through them. 🤔🧐
If only it were that simple.

As someone that has battled against severe anxiety issues my whole adult life, I see this comment as well meaning but naive. I spend significant time and energy every day fighting. Some days I win, most days are a draw. Some days I lose. No matter what, I wake up every morning and fight.

The best reminder I have about how strong anxiety can be is knowing that Zack Greinke almost quit playing major league baseball because he wasn't the best hitter in the game. He, of course, is a Cy Young winning pitcher who played in the American League at that time.

If MM has anxiety issues, his inability to overcome them is not because he hasn't confronted them. It is because anxiety most likely cannot be overcome. If you put in enough time (it took me almost twenty years) and effort, you can reach the point that you can manage it effectively - most of the time.

I am very open about my anxiety issues because mental health issues will always be stigmatized unless people - especially those who are prominent- talk about them openly. In case you are unaware, Mike Person revealed that he dealt with anxiety when he played for the 49ers.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:03 am

I have no inside information but truly feel that our team of twenty something year old young men are probably handling this change far better and more maturely than a whole lot of fans on this board are. I'll bet the team is pulling together as brothers, building each other up, and supporting each other including supporting Matt. But here on BN we see a lot of tearing down Matt and others. Thankfully there have been some on here that have shown understanding and support for Matt and I join them in saying thank you Matt for your efforts here and good luck in your future endeavors. As for the team, I have full confidence that every member will come out this Saturday fully focused and give their all for the brother standing next to them.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:07 am

bob12 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:31 pm
wapiti wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:40 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:38 pm
KIX wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:24 pm
GavinDonos wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:20 pm
Players can do whatever they want when it comes to their future. No shame in that game. Ask Dakota. He could’ve been MSU’s GOAT QB. Instead he decided to go to Oregon only to get beat out by Justin Herbert half way through his senior year. At least he had the balls to do it.

I’m a Bobcat fan for life and root for dudes who are Bobcats for life. No shame in that game either. Thanks for the solid season Matt… hope you end up having a fulfilling life after MSU.

I actually feel better about our chances in the playoffs now, for some strange reason.

#TUCKER! #TOMMY!
McKay never was a "Bobcat" IMO.
This attitude isn't what I'd call "Bobcat" either.
What happened to "Once a Bobcat always a Bobcat"?
Late to the knee jerk/aghast responses, but this comment right here hits the nail... These are kids! And what did happen to once a Bobcat always one? I remember a lot of people acting this way a lot in the last few years. Ease off people. Jesus
Not really. These are young adults. I do agree though, once a Cat always a Cat. We have seen this happen before, just not two days before a home playoff game. I think the timing is the main reason people are so mad. Hopefully by the end of the game, we won’t even be talking about this anymore, we will be talking about our new QB.

Punters are people too!!

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:09 am

coochorama42 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:58 pm
Cledus wrote:
It sure is weird that God would tell him to pack up and find some place new (again) rather than confront these anxiety issues and work through them. 🤔🧐

As someone that has battled against severe anxiety issues my whole adult life, I see this comment as well meaning but naive. I spend significant time and energy every day fighting. Some days I win, most days are a draw. Some days I lose. No matter what, I wake up every morning and fight.

The best reminder I have about how strong anxiety can be is knowing that Zack Greinke almost quit playing major league baseball because he wasn't the best hitter in the game. He, of course, is a Cy Young winning pitcher who played in the American League at that time.

If MM has anxiety issues, his inability to overcome them is not because he hasn't confronted them. It is because anxiety most likely cannot be overcome. If you put in enough time (it took me almost twenty years) and effort, you can reach the point that you can manage it effectively - most of the time.

I am very open about my anxiety issues because mental health issues will always be stigmatized unless people - especially those who are prominent- talk about them openly. In case you are unaware, Mike Person revealed that he dealt with anxiety when he played for the 49ers.
I’m not trying to trivialize what he’s going through or mental health issues. I have a sibling with severe mental health issues who will probably end up taking his own life. I had a panic attack once and it was pretty scary for me. These problems are still going to be with him wherever he ends up. Quitting and giving up are habit forming. If his mental health was his top priority he wouldn’t have entered the portal he just would have quietly hung up his cleats so he could confront these issues.

Second, it’s just bad - really, really bad - to hide behind God as a reason for doing what he did.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:15 am

Why are we so certain it was anxiety? There has been some talk of that but he hasn’t confirmed it. It is equally plausible that he did throw a fit when he was taken out of recent plays and then was benched for the playoffs and got pissed and decided to hell with it and ditched.

This seems like a bold ass move this close to the playoffs for someone with a horrible anxiety issue.

I’m not saying it couldn’t be something mental but is it possible that he is entitled and spoiled? I wasn’t a big fan of Rovig’s game last year but I have found a new respect for how he has handled moving down the depth chart this season. Perhaps McKay just doesn’t have that kind of character to handle doing what is best for the team.

bob12
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bob12 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:18 am

utucats wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:15 am
Why are we so certain it was anxiety? There has been some talk of that but he hasn’t confirmed it. It is equally plausible that he did throw a fit when he was taken out of recent plays and then was benched for the playoffs and got pissed and decided to hell with it and ditched.

This seems like a bold ass move this close to the playoffs for someone with a horrible anxiety issue.

I’m not saying it couldn’t be something mental but is it possible that he is entitled and spoiled? I wasn’t a big fan of Rovig’s game last year but I have found a new respect for how he has handled moving down the depth chart this season. Perhaps McKay just doesn’t have that kind of character to handle doing what is best for the team.
Does it really matter? We may never know. If it was or wasn't isn't anyone's business. Move on and expect that we have people in place to step in.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:19 am

If McKay is struggling with anxiety, why transfer to another program to again play the highest pressure position on a team. Makes no sense to me. And yeah, I've dealt with my share of head ****** my whole life. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. There seems to be that pattern for McKay. I'm not bashing him but pointing out a flaw in some posters analysis.

I've watched a dysfunctional offense for the past 5 games and it got continually worse. I think this is an opportunity for a restart of the offense. There are going to be some execution problems no doubt. But new energy and confidence can overcome those. I am excited once again to see the Cats offense on the field.

No hard feelings towards McKay and wish him well in his journey.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:23 am

bob12 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:18 am
utucats wrote:

Does it really matter? We may never know. If it was or wasn't isn't anyone's business. Move on and expect that we have people in place to step in.
No it doesn’t matter but all this talk about how debilitating anxiety can be is assuming that he has some honorable reason for quitting. Fact is we don’t know why and I agree, who cares.

bob12
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bob12 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:27 am

utucats wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:23 am
bob12 wrote:
utucats wrote:

No it doesn’t matter but all this talk about how debilitating anxiety can be is assuming that he has some honorable reason for quitting. Fact is we don’t know why and I agree, who cares.
Nobody said anxiety as a reason is honorable, just maybe understandable. People quit at things for a plethora of reasons, any of them can be good or bad. There are a bunch of guys that didn't quit, let's think about them.

coochorama42

Post by coochorama42 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:31 am

rivercat wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:19 am
If McKay is struggling with anxiety, why transfer to another program to again play the highest pressure position on a team. Makes no sense to me. And yeah, I've dealt with my share of head ****** my whole life. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. There seems to be that pattern for McKay. I'm not bashing him but pointing out a flaw in some posters analysis.

I've watched a dysfunctional offense for the past 5 games and it got continually worse. I think this is an opportunity for a restart of the offense. There are going to be some execution problems no doubt. But new energy and confidence can overcome those. I am excited once again to see the Cats offense on the field.

By that definition, my 20s and most of my 30s were pure insanity. :D. ](*,) <------ Past version of myself

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:34 am

bob12 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:27 am
utucats wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:23 am
bob12 wrote:
utucats wrote:

Nobody said anxiety as a reason is honorable, just maybe understandable. People quit at things for a plethora of reasons, any of them can be good or bad. There are a bunch of guys that didn't quit, let's think about them.
It’s an excuse that makes it less dishonorable, how about that?

Also, who isn’t thinking about the guys who didn’t quit? Like nearly every weekend I’ll be in Bobcat Stadium yelling until I lose my voice on Saturday. This is kind of a big news thing so I’m sure it’s going to be discussed in the meantime.

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:40 am

coochorama42 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:31 am
rivercat wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:19 am

By that definition, my 20s and most of my 30s were pure insanity. :D. ](*,) <------ Past version of myself
:no: :suds: :-D ](*,) :crazy: :( :( :(

Repeat as needed

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:51 am

How many times has this happened? I remember a QB named Tyler Thomas who had a great arm and was semi successful when you kept defensive players away from him. However when you put pressure in front of him he wilted! He was benched for a freshman named Travis Lulay. He didn't leave the team....and played semi pro ball later. There was no portal also.

How about a guy named Cody Kempt? He was cruising along sqeezing a TD out here and there, but when Denarius McGhee was ready...he moved aside and another Bobcat legend was born!

I'm not suggesting anyone should expect anything more from Tommy right now but playing to his ability. However, as Bobcat fans I think we're due for another legend! Here's hoping this is a good thing for the Bobcats!

2024 Resume dominance

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:15 am

The tweet from Tavin Sharp is pretty revealing. Tavin is from Raleigh, NC, McKays home town. I assume they are friends and have talked about the exit from MSU. I read this as Tavin relaying what McKay has told him was going on. If so, it's disappointing because it is everyone's fault but his.

BStinsMSU

Post by BStinsMSU » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:26 am

rivercat wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:15 am

The tweet from Tavin Sharp is pretty revealing. Tavin is from Raleigh, NC, McKays home town. I assume they are friends and have talked about the exit from MSU. I read this as Tavin relaying what McKay has told him was going on. If so, it's disappointing because it is everyone's fault but his.
He’s got a point about the OC, but dead wrong about the players on our team. If that is what his close circle believes about the rest of our team, that’s pretty disheartening.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:33 am

BStinsMSU wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:26 am
rivercat wrote:

He’s got a point about the OC, but dead wrong about the players on our team. If that is what his close circle believes about the rest of our team, that’s pretty disheartening.
This might be wishful thinking but maybe wrong about the OC as well. McKay looked decent early in the year and so did the offense. Maybe Housewright was in a hard spot because McKay was going backwards but how do you bench him with the way we were rattling off Ws? Perhaps our playcalling woes were due to not being able to trust McKay to execute and the offense not being able to improve as the year progressed.

This might not be the case but considering our OC is still here and we are about to begin the playoffs I hope it is.

BStinsMSU

Post by BStinsMSU » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:37 am

utucats wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:33 am
BStinsMSU wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:26 am
rivercat wrote:

This might be wishful thinking but maybe wrong about the OC as well. McKay looked decent early in the year and so did the offense. Maybe Housewright was in a hard spot because McKay was going backwards but how do you bench him with the way we were rattling off Ws? Perhaps our playcalling woes were due to not being able to trust McKay to execute and the offense not being able to improve as the year progressed.

This might not be the case but considering our OC is still here and we are about to begin the playoffs I hope it is.
I hope you’re right. There’s nothing I’d rather do than come here after a trip to Frisco and apologize to all of you about how wrong I was about Houseright! (In the mean time I’ll day dream about who Vigen replaces him with next year to rocket Tommy into the next Dakota Prukop minus the transfer)

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:39 am

=D^
tdub wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:01 pm
Best of luck to Matt. I would not want to be in his shoes today. I have a pretty good feeling that he knew exactly what everyone would say about him, dragging his name through the mud, trashing him. This decision, although extremely hard, may be a win for all parties, including him. If you are in his shoes and you know you can’t help your team anymore and already have a degree, would you stay? Why not let the 65th kid get a roster spot Saturday instead of taking that spot knowing you weren’t going to contribute again.
Some of you really need to look deep and hard in the mirror and ask yourself if you feel wonderful ripping a kid apart that has just made a decision to move on with his life, probably closing out a pretty painful chapter in it.
=D^ =D^

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:41 am

coochorama42 wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:58 pm
Cledus wrote:

Good post. Simone Biles was arguably the best athlete in any sport in the last 10 years and had to drop out of the Olympics over mental health issues.

Best of luck to Matt.