Cats vs. UT - Martin predictions

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Cats vs. UT - Martin predictions

Post by Lord Vigo » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:20 am

aucat wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:43 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:32 pm
aucat wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:20 pm
Has anyone really looked at their resume? It's pretty dang impressive. For example UTM beat Jax State, which beat Florida State. Ten wins is nothing to sneeze at. Given our offensive production down the stretch I'm afraid this will be a close game that will have us squirming in our seats.

Cats 19
Skyhawks 17

https://utmsports.com/sports/football/schedule/2021
I spent some time looking at their resume this afternoon and it’s not impressive.

Their FCS opponents have a collective 37% win rate. Jacksonville State did indeed beat FSU. They also went 4-5 in FCS play. They’re not good.

UTM played two FCS teams all season with a winning record— 6-5 AP and 6-5 Murray.

Missouri State was far and away the best FCS team they’ve played all season and they won by one point despite being +5 in the turnover margin.
Hope you are right!
I may not be right that the Cats win easily, because their offense may not get things figured out. So that remains to be seen.

But I feel very confident in saying that Tennessee Martin's schedule has been a joke, and that's largely because the OVC is a horrible conference. Their best would be mediocre in the BSC.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:26 am

I'm going to predict a Bobcat win... I'll say 28ish to 13ish. I'm not extremely confident in that score prediction but it's what I'm going with.

One thing that I am extremely confident in... in fact I am positive about this. If the Cats win in a squeaker, there will be posters on here complaining about the win and predicting that we'll get blown out the following week. If the Cats blow out TN-M, there will be posters on here saying that it's not impressive because TN-M sucks and that we're likely going to lose in the next game. lol

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:31 am

catatac wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:26 am
I'm going to predict a Bobcat win... I'll say 28ish to 13ish. I'm not extremely confident in that score prediction but it's what I'm going with.

One thing that I am extremely confident in... in fact I am positive about this. If the Cats win in a squeaker, there will be posters on here complaining about the win and predicting that we'll get blown out the following week. If the Cats blow out TN-M, there will be posters on here saying that it's not impressive because TN-M sucks and that we're likely going to lose in the next game. lol
:lol:

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:53 am

I like our chances in this game, but as the saying goes, we shouldn't overlook our next opponent. Hoping we heal up and see significant improvement in the offense. I'll take the Cats 28-14.

aucat

Post by aucat » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:13 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:23 am
aucat wrote:
Has anyone really looked at their resume? It's pretty dang impressive. For example UTM beat Jax State, which beat Florida State. Ten wins is nothing to sneeze at. Given our offensive production down the stretch I'm afraid this will be a close game that will have us squirming in our seats.

Cats 19
Skyhawks 17

Any FCS school beating a school like FSU is cool, awesome, impressive, etc.

With all that said, FSU has been awful this year.
Well, I guess I have to agree about FSU. Did you see the poor FSU kicker WHIFF trying the onside kick? I hate to laugh at a young man's misery but this is funny, I'm sorry:

Bear Spray II
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Bear Spray II » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:19 pm

Cats 27
Martians 17

New looks on O, slants, tight ends involved, running to the edge.

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:44 pm

Bobcats: 38
Skyhawks: 13

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:53 pm

Bobcats: 27
UT-Martin: 14

Bobcats go up 14-0 in the first half but Skyhawks close first half with a touchdown drive to be down 7 at half. Skyhawks tie it up early in 3rd quarter but its all MSU from there on out with another touchdown and a pair of Stones Glessner field goals. Bobcats will be +2 in the TO margin with a big one happening in our favor in the second half.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:12 pm

MSU O: Will put up 24 by half and slow things down scoring one more in the 2nd half = 31
MSU D: Will play like they have all year (great) allowing some yards between the 20s with one weird/adjustment series (first one) resulting in a UTM TD = 16

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:19 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
aucat wrote:

Cats 19
Skyhawks 17

Finished 5-7. They got to a slow start. Lost to ND in overtime, then shocked by Jax. Lost first four, then won 5 of 7 before losing to Gators by three. Got better as the season progressed. Tough schedule. I think they’ll be back in top 25 next year.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:47 pm

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:10 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:19 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
aucat wrote:

Cats 19
Skyhawks 17

Finished 5-7. They got to a slow start. Lost to ND in overtime, then shocked by Jax. Lost first four, then won 5 of 7 before losing to Gators by three. Got better as the season progressed. Tough schedule. I think they’ll be back in top 25 next year.
Did you ever watch them play?

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:50 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:26 am

And those fans aren’t wrong. 😂

Hating the griz since 02.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:38 am

Haven't seen UTM play

But I have some paper observations:

UTM lost their first regular season game, and their last, and won all games in between for a 9-2 record. Sound familiar?

UTM averages 32 pts per game, 219 rushing yds/game and 183 passing yds/game
Cats give up 13 pts per game, 113 rush yds and 168 pass yds per game

Cats average 29 pts per game, 218 rushing and 190 passing yds per game
UTM gives up 25 pts per game, 129 rushing and 225 passing yds per game

Teams look similar on paper at a high level, but still advantage Bobcats. I think the Cats will hit their offensive and defensive averages, and UTM will not. So, something like 28-12 Bobcats.

FYI
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by FYI » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:48 am

I don't know about you folks, but I did not get any "WOW factor off these guys nor Missouri Sate other than they appeared really large. As a "two-off" comparison I believe both Eastern and the griz would beat them decisively. Then so shall the Cats.
MSU 34 UTM 19

bcatfan1

Post by bcatfan1 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:02 pm

I have not watched UTM at all. But I think the Cats will rebound from the embarrassing offensive performance against the griz.

MSU 31
UTM 17

Troy proves he's the leading candidate for the Buck with 12+ tackles and a forced turnover.

Some people are a lot like slinkies....... Not really good for much, but it puts a smile on your face to watch them fall down a set of stairs.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:33 pm

I will be very surprised if UTM scores 17 against us. I have watched 3 of their games, including the MO State game. While they do have some dudes, Howard isn't that amazing. He threw for 1800 yards and ran for 500. He isn't going to be 100% if he plays so his running ability will be less than normal. They have 2 good backs but play in a conference devoid of defense. The game against Austin Peay (17-16 win) they had a tough time moving the ball. AP is barely a top 50 D. I understand not wanting to underestimate an opponent, but these guys are ag good team, not great. And we are a great team.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:09 am

Cats 27
Hocs 14

2024 Resume dominance

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:17 am

I think this team responds well to adversity. I think this is a great matchup for MSU. I think the talent difference is very, very significant.

45-3.

I'm the same guy that picked UM over MSU. I think the best of the Big Sky (+ SDSU and NDSU) are THAT much better than the field.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:26 pm

I think for those that are saying that the Ohio Valley conference is absolutely horrible are mistaken. I think they have a lot of disparity between top and bottom in their league just like the big sky. And for those of you think that it’s gonna be an easy game we didn’t exactly roll Austin Peay two years ago. But we adjusted, got better matchups, and came out with a win.
If the back up quarterback is in throwing the ball will have to be careful in our secondary matchups. Their receivers are really good at coming back for the ball and drawing interference calls.
If their original starter plays he’s good but I think we’ve been good at corralling those types of players.
I’m going to stay on a positive note and hope that our offensive playcalling as well as player performance at certain positions improves this week.
Also on a positive note I’m gonna hope our special teams improves. Not sure again who’s responsibility that is? But I’m gonna give our new coach credit to fix the problem.

With all of my “Ifs and butts and candies and nuts” I’m going to say

Fighting Montana State Bobcats 30
Davy Crockett’s neighbors 17