Tennessee Martin at MSU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Re: Tennessee Martin at MSU

Post by cats2506 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:44 pm

kwcat wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:50 am
ND0479 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:30 am
Anyone have a link to a UTM football forum?
I have yet to find a fan forum for them. They do have a Twitter account that is official and here is a link for their YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/skyhawkathletics

Players and the coach all come across as very humble and hard-working. They are going to come to play.
Their coach seems like a really good guy, been there for 16 years, I think I read 10 winning seasons somewhere.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

ND0479
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ND0479 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:07 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:44 pm
kwcat wrote:
ND0479 wrote:
I have yet to find a fan forum for them. They do have a Twitter account that is official and here is a link for their YouTube channel.

Players and the coach all come across as very humble and hard-working. They are going to come to play.
Their coach seems like a really good guy, been there for 16 years, I think I read 10 winning seasons somewhere.
Think I read that was their first FCS playoffs win for the program. I hope they’ve enjoyed the run while it lasted!

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:12 pm

ND0479 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:07 pm
cats2506 wrote:
kwcat wrote:
ND0479 wrote:

Think I read that was their first FCS playoffs win for the program. I hope they’ve enjoyed the run while it lasted!
Yes, only the second time in the playoffs. Kinda uses the injury excuse a lot but still seems like a good guy

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:12 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:12 pm
ND0479 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:07 pm
cats2506 wrote:
kwcat wrote:
ND0479 wrote:

Yes, only the second time in the playoffs. Kinda uses the injury excuse a lot but still seems like a good guy
I am trying to remember which coach it was that we played last round or previous round that sure like to play like he was uneducated or unmotivated but was a heck of a coach. Anybody remember who that was?

This guy reminds me of my East Tennessee heritage post revolutionary war. Sly like a fox. I think it came from an area where they were deeply political divided and had to get along with everybody. LOL

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:31 am

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:21 pm
Dang, I was going to pay $250 and a game ticket to the first person who agreed to wear a neck brace, an Arkansas cap, a Harley shirt and sit behind the Missouri State bench during the game. 8)

Earn an extra $100 if they brought a volleyball too.
Instead of a volleyball, include a blonde volleyball player (just for the sake of completeness) and you can collect payments instead. :yes:

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:03 am

cats2506 wrote:
kwcat wrote:
ND0479 wrote:

I rewatched some of the game today and I was very impressed with the coach when they got a fast whistle that may have prevented a touchdown. He just rallied his team, got the punt unit on the field, all business. Once he got his guys taken care of he found the side judge and went full Vesuvius on him. His team could have unraveled but they just played better.

They have an interesting QB situation for sure. Dual-threat that may or may not play, and a pure pocket guy who finds his receivers and has very good accuracy.

The two players that caught my eye were their versions of McCutcheon (big, fast, athletic receiver) and Benson (undersized at 280, uses strength and agility to disrupt the middle). They don’t really have analogs for Andersen, Williams, Hardy, Grebe, etc. or an Ifanse at all.

This is a good, well-coached team. They didn’t appear to resort to the dirty play of the grizzz, like the leg-twisting that was seen by everyone but the announcers.

Speaking of announcers, either the lead or both of the ESPN guys will be calling our game. I think the color commentator was going to Missoula. They made a good team.

Go, ‘Cats. 💙 💛 😺

BobbyPetrinoBearsFan
New Recruit

Post by BobbyPetrinoBearsFan » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:00 am

Best of luck to y'all this weekend. UTM had to be +5 in turnover margin to win the game by a single point. I don't know where your student section sits/stands in relation to the visiting bench, but be prepared for the UTM team to mock and antagonize your fans throughout the game. The worst offenders were the long snapper, kicker, and punter if you can believe it. They just would not shut up. Then after the game and I assume their media availability period and the time when the coach addresses the team, numerous UTM players and coaches came back to the field to stand on our logo and take pictures. Not very sporting behavior.

If I try and let go of the emotion and look from a neutral perspective, this Montana State team is several TD's better regardless of who plays QB. If you avoid turnovers and don't get thrown off of your game by the Skyhawks antics it should be a comfortable win for the Bobcats. We'll be cheering you on from Springfield.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:40 am

BobbyPetrinoBearsFan wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:00 am
Best of luck to y'all this weekend. UTM had to be +5 in turnover margin to win the game by a single point. I don't know where your student section sits/stands in relation to the visiting bench, but be prepared for the UTM team to mock and antagonize your fans throughout the game. The worst offenders were the long snapper, kicker, and punter if you can believe it. They just would not shut up. Then after the game and I assume their media availability period and the time when the coach addresses the team, numerous UTM players and coaches came back to the field to stand on our logo and take pictures. Not very sporting behavior.

If I try and let go of the emotion and look from a neutral perspective, this Montana State team is several TD's better regardless of who plays QB. If you avoid turnovers and don't get thrown off of your game by the Skyhawks antics it should be a comfortable win for the Bobcats. We'll be cheering you on from Springfield.
This will likely be the loudest venue UTM has played in. Any antics by their players will make life tougher on them by riling up the crowd even more. They should be prepared for silent snaps and not needing to audible on 3rd downs.

Looking forward to a solid Bobcat win

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:48 am

BOBBYPETRINOBEARSFAN I would imagine that your team would win that game 8 times out of 10 but yeah that many turnovers were too much. You needn’t worry about our fans being heckled by utmartin. If they try to start something they may find out that the Bobcat fans in that area have experience in how to heckle opponents teams. It’s a fact that some of the fans were making some innovative preparations to heckle the Patrino family. You might get a good laugh if you were to google the incident we had during our game with UNC earlier this year with the McCaffrey family that coaches the university of Northern Colorado Thanks for the well wishes.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:54 am

Is your student section behind the visitors bench? I could see that happening then with students getting after students.

In our stadium the students are in the endzone. My seats are behind the visiting team and there is usually not a lot of issues. Sure there’s always a little back and forth but for the most part the fans are respectable and players are focused on the game.

Usually what happens is it’s all friendly until the visiting team makes a big play or scores a touchdown. Players are excited and tend to talk to the fans a little bit. After that the fans will let them hear it every time the Cats make a play. Almost always all in good fun from my perspective.

CatBot
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatBot » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:23 pm

I'm hoping BobbyPetrinoBearsFan has personally increased the number of students planning on going to this game. Not sure our normal endzone crew would pass up a good opportunity at a "highly interactive" opponent.

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:10 pm

I think Dresser Winn will present bigger problems than Keon Howard. I think a good passer is what could hurt the cats- especially when we play cover 2.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:21 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:10 pm
I think Dresser Winn will present bigger problems than Keon Howard. I think a good passer is what could hurt the cats- especially when we play cover 2.
Hmm what about Eastern? 214 yards through the air, with a better QB and a better WR corps.

Winn was 23-43 (53%) and had several big time catches by WRs bail him out on poorly thrown balls. MO State is also 89th in the country in pass D, we're 7th. We're also 10th in total sacks. If Winn is playing the D line will get to him often.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:27 pm

Personally I think it’s very funny that your students got out-heckled by a visiting team from a second tier FCS conference. That’s more on your fans than on the visiting team. What would be great is if the UT-Martin coaching staff brings along a spare clipboard or wears some of them “tiny pants.” Maybe next year for your MSU.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:41 pm

From what I'm hearing Keon Howard is going to miss the game and it's going to be Winn again. Also sounds like it could be a pretty windy day in Bozeman?

That could be gamesmanship and we'll see Howard come out but even if Howard is a go I can't imagine he'll be as mobile as he has been with that foot injury.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

weirdolocalthatlikesbozonow
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by weirdolocalthatlikesbozonow » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:09 pm

CatBot wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:23 pm
I'm hoping BobbyPetrinoBearsFan has personally increased the number of students planning on going to this game. Not sure our normal endzone crew would pass up a good opportunity at a "highly interactive" opponent.
I mean, I don't think a huge amount of students read this board. But you're right they would definitely relish an opportunity where an opposing team encouraged heckling. Lol

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:11 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:41 pm
From what I'm hearing Keon Howard is going to miss the game and it's going to be Winn again. Also sounds like it could be a pretty windy day in Bozeman?

That could be gamesmanship and we'll see Howard come out but even if Howard is a go I can't imagine he'll be as mobile as he has been with that foot injury.
Dark Sky app is currently predicting 21 mph wind with up to 44 mph gusts at the stadium at kickoff. The app was pretty spot on in predicting the heavy wind for the Idaho game. But at least it will be a balmy 55 degrees.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

BobbyPetrinoBearsFan
New Recruit

Post by BobbyPetrinoBearsFan » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:13 pm

Rich K wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:27 pm

Personally I think it’s very funny that your students got out-heckled by a visiting team from a second tier FCS conference. That’s more on your fans than on the visiting team. What would be great is if the UT-Martin coaching staff brings along a spare clipboard or wears some of them “tiny pants.” Maybe next year for your MSU.
Missouri State's home opener in 2022 is UTM so they will be hearing from a very boisterous crowd. Trust me.

Their offense chose to meet on the sidelines right under the student section and when someone accidentally spilled beer on both the student section and the UTM players, the OL coach went berserk and started pointing up at the crowd. They must have kicked out 10 students for someone spilling a few drops of beer. They are Charmin soft down there in middle of nowhere Tennessee apparently. The OL coach went on to tweet about it like a clown after the game.

I was hoping for Bobby Petrino to get the opportunity to go to Bozeman and show the state of Montana (both you and the Grizzlies) what they missed out on but that will have to wait for our game in Missoula in a few years. If the Bobcats can get the win this weekend that will salvage the postseason for me.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:22 pm

Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:13 pm
Rich K wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:27 pm

Missouri State's home opener in 2022 is UTM so they will be hearing from a very boisterous crowd. Trust me.

Their offense chose to meet on the sidelines right under the student section and when someone accidentally spilled beer on both the student section and the UTM players, the OL coach went berserk and started pointing up at the crowd. They must have kicked out 10 students for someone spilling a few drops of beer. They are Charmin soft down there in middle of nowhere Tennessee apparently. The OL coach went on to tweet about it like a clown after the game.

I was hoping for Bobby Petrino to get the opportunity to go to Bozeman and show the state of Montana (both you and the Grizzlies) what they missed out on but that will have to wait for our game in Missoula in a few years. If the Bobcats can get the win this weekend that will salvage the postseason for me.
I’m not sure you will find a lot of people here that feel they missed out on anything positive with Petrino. I’m glad you all like Petrino though and want to keep him there. Hopefully, his younger brother will move there too. I’ll be the first to be rooting for Missouri State and any other team to beat the other Bobby in Missoula.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:15 pm

UT- Martin also has a tweeter

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act