Put in Rovig

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: Put in Rovig

Post by Cataholic » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:37 am

coochorama42 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:07 am
I absolutely love Tommy Mellott. I think there is something about him that is just different. It would not surprise me at all if he wins the starting job next fall and never cedes it. He is just a phenomenal talent and his leadership capacity is elite.

That being said, you are not setting him up to succeed by throwing him out there against UTM, let alone Sam Houston. If the coaches decide that someone other than McKay gives the team a better chance to win, they will play him. I just doubt that happens.

I also would like to remind everyone that these people are real human beings we are talking out. We do not know what injuries they might be playing through, let alone what might be going on in their lives outside the 3-4 hours we see them on the field on Saturdays.

I will be cheering whoever is out on that field Saturday. This team has just as much chance of making a run as any in recent memory.
Well said!! =D^ =D^ =D^

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:39 am

coochorama42 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:46 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:17 am

I think UTM is the perfect time to start Mellott. I think he's ready. Not sure why anyone thinks he isn't. He isn't too young or too inexperienced, and he isn't a bad player.

That being said, I have no idea if he's going to start. I haven't heard anything from anyone that would clearly know that says he is starting.

So we'll just have to see. I think if he starts he'll play very well. Makes absolutely no difference to me who starts where for MSU. Just like to watch them play.
I hope you are right. I was in WGS for Dave Dickenson's insane debut against SDSU (grew up in Western MT; became a Cat fan after we moved to Belgrade in the 1990s). Everyone has compared Mellott to MSU QB, but the swagger he has reminds me of Dave. Different style, but his leadership is easy to see.
Another excellent post. Although I wouldn’t call it swagger. It more like quiet confidence. Choate compared his demeanor to Kellen Moore at Boise State. He only become one of the all time winningest quarterbacks in Division 1 history.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:59 am

2021 Big Sky Football Community Service Team

Cal Poly – Kyle Reid, R-Sr., WR
EWU - Ty Graham, R-Sr., LB
Idaho - Sean McCormick, So., WR
Idaho State - David Allish, Sr., K
Montana - Alex Hurlburt, R-Fr., DE
Montana State - Tucker Rovig, Jr., QB
Northern Arizona - Draycen Hall, Fr., RB
Northern Colorado - RJ Potts, Jr., LB
Portland State - Malik Thirdgill, Jr., TE
Sacramento State - Wyatt Hjelm, Sr., DL
Southern Utah - Tyler Skidmore, R-So., QB
UC Davis - Hunter Rodrigues, Jr., QB
Weber State - Sione Lapuaho, Jr., DL

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:23 am

Tucker by all appearances is an outstanding individual and I have no doubt he will be a huge success in whatever he sets his mind to. I'm glad he is a Bobcat and thank him for his contributions to this program. Including leading the team to the semifinals. I wish him all the best!

Especially if he is the starter come Saturday.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

RockyBearCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RockyBearCat » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:05 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:39 pm
Sohedges wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:26 pm
thefrank1 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:01 pm
Possibly the talent at D1 is a little better than MT AA and he isn't ready yet.
Remember when that same dumbass provincial thinking decided that because Troy played qb for class A Dillon, he couldn’t possibly play quarterback for the Cats? What could have and should have been Troy as a 4 year starter at Qb. Where would the program be now. Lol
Poes law...no one can ever tell if you are being sarcastic on the internet.

Hope you are being sarcastic.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." --- Abraham Lincoln

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:10 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:23 am
Tucker by all appearances is an outstanding individual and I have no doubt he will be a huge success in whatever he sets his mind to. I'm glad he is a Bobcat and thank him for his contributions to this program. Including leading the team to the semifinals. I wish him all the best!

Can confirm. Tucker is an amazing human being. I wish him nothing but the best.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:15 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:10 pm
Long Time Cat wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:23 am

Can confirm. Tucker is an amazing human being. I wish him nothing but the best.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:18 pm

Sohedges wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:47 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:01 pm
Sohedges wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:20 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:09 am
The best part about the Sohedges poster is that originally they heard a rumor from an O Lineman's dad, and now the poster has been hearing from an O Lineman himself since day 1 that the team wanted Tommy from starting to begin with.

Oh and he's in with the NFL scouts!
I’m not in with any NFL scouts just some of the players and families I just posted what I had been told about his prospects, real sorry if that upsets you. I thought the point of these boards is to share and discuss things about the cats with other fans who are interested. You apparently are not. Smh
Definitely not upset :lol: you're not discussing anything either. You came here with a rumor you can't prove is true and are the one taking offense when people don’t believe it. Your above post shows just that. Like I said first you heard from an OL's parents. Now it's the actual OL himself.

Unless you know Troy personally, or his family, you know about about his draft prospects and his projected position (unless a draft expert has said what they think). Scouts aren't just handing that info out to whomever.
I guess we will just have to wait and see who starts at qb in 9 days to put my rumor to rest.
Actually I do have connections to Troy. Anything you want me ask him for you about what the scouts have been saying about him?
Anything that players or families tell someone should be held in confidence, not posted on a public message board.

coochorama42

Post by coochorama42 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:38 pm

Why family members are talking about it, I'll never know. My father and I used to talk to Travis Lulay's father before, at half, and after every home game. I don't think he broke confidence once - we certainly didn't ask him to - but sometimes I'd say something and he'd have a visceral response. It was fun sitting next to the family section in that era. Lots of great stories.
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:18 pm
Anything that players or families tell someone should be held in confidence, not posted on a public message board.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:45 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sohedges wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sohedges wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
The best part about the Sohedges poster is that originally they heard a rumor from an O Lineman's dad, and now the poster has been hearing from an O Lineman himself since day 1 that the team wanted Tommy from starting to begin with.

I’m not in with any NFL scouts just some of the players and families I just posted what I had been told about his prospects, real sorry if that upsets you. I thought the point of these boards is to share and discuss things about the cats with other fans who are interested. You apparently are not. Smh
Definitely not upset :lol: you're not discussing anything either. You came here with a rumor you can't prove is true and are the one taking offense when people don’t believe it. Your above post shows just that. Like I said first you heard from an OL's parents. Now it's the actual OL himself.

Unless you know Troy personally, or his family, you know about about his draft prospects and his projected position (unless a draft expert has said what they think). Scouts aren't just handing that info out to whomever.
I guess we will just have to wait and see who starts at qb in 9 days to put my rumor to rest.
Actually I do have connections to Troy. Anything you want me ask him for you about what the scouts have been saying about him?
I don’t necessarily disagree with this. But we have to remember that while growing; Bozeman is still Bozeman. It’s still a small town in which rumors and facts about the team travel quickly. It’s always a fine line on what to post here, or even ask here.

Many of us choose to go the PM route to discuss things we’ve heard in regards to the team. But I don’t have any issue with people posting things they heard on this board. Isn’t that the purpose of a message board? Some rumors turn out to be just that, rumors. Others turn out to be true. It doesn’t effect the team whatsoever.

I have no issues with what the south hedges kid posted. If it’s anything like when I was in college he probably DOES have good info on the team as he runs in those circles. Players have lots of friends that aren’t other players and stuff gets out all the time.

Bottom line is I don’t care if Justus Perkins comes out and starts at QB Saturday, as long as the energy is there and the Cats get the win.

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:45 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:45 pm

Bottom line is I don’t care if Justus Perkins comes out and starts at QB Saturday, as long as the energy is there and the Cats get the win.
While JP has shown good ability at handing the ball off he hasn't thrown a pass more than 4 yards this year and everyone of them has been backwards. (on the up side his completion percentage is crazy high) We also don't know how well he can run with the ball either. It's just too risky to start him at QB. I'd be ok with the coaches drawing up a few plays where he pitched the ball back to someone that could throw the ball down field, but not sure who on the team that would be. That's my opinion anyway, but maybe I'm looking at it all wrong.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:06 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sohedges wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sohedges wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

I don’t necessarily disagree with this. But we have to remember that while growing; Bozeman is still Bozeman. It’s still a small town in which rumors and facts about the team travel quickly. It’s always a fine line on what to post here, or even ask here.

Many of us choose to go the PM route to discuss things we’ve heard in regards to the team. But I don’t have any issue with people posting things they heard on this board. Isn’t that the purpose of a message board? Some rumors turn out to be just that, rumors. Others turn out to be true. It doesn’t effect the team whatsoever.

I have no issues with what the south hedges kid posted. If it’s anything like when I was in college he probably DOES have good info on the team as he runs in those circles. Players have lots of friends that aren’t other players and stuff gets out all the time.

I’m on the same page. We sure don’t chastise anyone who drops insider recruiting info because their cousin works with a recruit’s housekeeper’s sister.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:48 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sohedges wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sohedges wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

When Justus starts at quarterback do you know who will be snapping the ball? Wouldn’t believe what I heard! :-^

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:56 pm

kwcat wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:48 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sohedges wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Sohedges wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

When Justus starts at quarterback do you know who will be snapping the ball? Wouldn’t believe what I heard! :-^
Troy!!!!!

spring creek cat

Post by spring creek cat » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:20 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:45 pm
ilovethecats wrote:

While JP has shown good ability at handing the ball off he hasn't thrown a pass more than 4 yards this year and everyone of them has been backwards. (on the up side his completion percentage is crazy high) We also don't know how well he can run with the ball either. It's just too risky to start him at QB. I'd be ok with the coaches drawing up a few plays where he pitched the ball back to someone that could throw the ball down field, but not sure who on the team that would be. That's my opinion anyway, but maybe I'm looking at it all wrong.
Ok, that was hilarious!!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:12 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:56 am
coochorama42 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

I think UTM is the perfect time to start Mellott. I think he's ready. Not sure why anyone thinks he isn't. He isn't too young or too inexperienced, and he isn't a bad player.

That being said, I have no idea if he's going to start. I haven't heard anything from anyone that would clearly know that says he is starting.

So we'll just have to see. I think if he starts he'll play very well. Makes absolutely no difference to me who starts where for MSU. Just like to watch them play.
I hope you are right. I was in WGS for Dave Dickenson's insane debut against SDSU (grew up in Western MT; became a Cat fan after we moved to Belgrade in the 1990s). Everyone has compared Mellott to MSU QB, but the swagger he has reminds me of Dave. Different style, but his leadership is easy to see.
Yes, I can see similar leadership characteristics between Mellott and Dickenson. Dickenson was just an insanely instinctual, smart football player with great vision. He could see things develop at a very high level.
Now you’ve moved on from comparing MELLOTT to Prukop to comparing him to one of the most successful 1-AA/FCS QBs in history. Good gawd, Tom, way to set unrealistic expectations for a QB who has 6 plays in the holster at present, and 5 of them are running plays.

Do you people posting this really want to insert Mellott as QB, or is this the “Montana bias” that elevates anyone from a Montana HS to all-time status before they play a game?

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:22 pm

PapaG wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:12 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
coochorama42 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Yes, I can see similar leadership characteristics between Mellott and Dickenson. Dickenson was just an insanely instinctual, smart football player with great vision. He could see things develop at a very high level.
Now you’ve moved on from comparing MELLOTT to Prukop to comparing him to one of the most successful 1-AA/FCS QBs in history. Good gawd, Tom, way to set unrealistic expectations for a QB who has 6 plays in the holster at present, and 5 of them are running plays.

Do you people posting this really want to insert Mellott as QB, or is this the “Montana bias” that elevates anyone from a Montana HS to all-time status before they play a game?
For me it has a lot more to do with how the offense has looked with McKay during the last two weeks of the regular season.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:31 pm

Lord Vigo wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:22 pm
PapaG wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
coochorama42 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

For me it has a lot more to do with how the offense has looked with McKay during the last two weeks of the regular season.
That’s fine and all but try and count the number of 9-win MSU seasons over the last 40 years on two hands. It’s a ball control offense with an average o-line and a great back in Ifanse. Why can’t some of you just enjoy things?

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:51 pm

PapaG wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:31 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
PapaG wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
coochorama42 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

That’s fine and all but try and count the number of 9-win MSU seasons over the last 40 years on two hands. It’s a ball control offense with an average o-line and a great back in Ifanse. Why can’t some of you just enjoy things?
This, so so much this. If we'd lost to eastern and beaten the griz this topic would not even exist on this board. A great year that's still going strong, but we're out with the torches because a first year 9-2 staff can't be the Greatest Show on Turf with somebody else's offensive players, somebody else who oh by the way had a bunch of bad offenses. Been a remarkable season.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:13 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:51 pm
PapaG wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:31 pm
Lord Vigo wrote:
PapaG wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
coochorama42 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

This, so so much this. If we'd lost to eastern and beaten the griz this topic would not even exist on this board. A great year that's still going strong, but we're out with the torches because a first year 9-2 staff can't be the Greatest Show on Turf with somebody else's offensive players, somebody else who oh by the way had a bunch of bad offenses. Been a remarkable season.
As with most subjects on this board it’s a little of both. People can be ecstatic with the season and still discuss strengths and weaknesses.

I don’t think it’s even debatable our offense has not looked great. I think it’s also fair to suggest that because of this we’re working our defense to the bone. I think one could make these observations and still be happy and even optimistic about the playoffs. It’s not black and white.

I’m anticipating some changes this Saturday and can’t wait to read this board Saturday night! :lol: