EWU Offense

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

EWU Offense

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:23 am

I know the game is still over a week away, but I don't recall a game I was more excited about than this one. Looking over some stats this morning, it's crazy just how great that offense in Cheney is. Their offensive output is tough to comprehend. I know we can always get into the "who've they played" and what "teams they got at home" talk, but regardless it's damn impressive.

They average 52 points a game. Next highest is us at 34.

They've scored FIFTY-FIVE touchdowns to date. We're next at 32. :shock:

They average 604 yards of offense a game. 173 on the ground and 431 through the air.

They're averaging a whopping 7.5 yards per play.

I can't find anything within this offense that isn't very impressive.

I think we're all excited about our defense. This will be a true test. What is more entertaining to watch than a defense that allows about 10 points a game taking on an elite offense that gets 52 a game?!

We'll finally be able to see the actual makeup of a unit that we all think is great, matched up against the best the conference has to offer.

It's going to be a LOOOONG week.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: EWU Offense

Post by wbtfg » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:26 am

I’m hoping a really robust lookalikes thread will throw them off their game.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:30 am

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:26 am
I’m hoping a really robust lookalikes thread will throw them off their game.
It can't hurt.

Maybe we should only do offensive player lookalikes to really get in their heads. :wink:

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:29 am

Watched the Weber game on Monday (side note those of you griping about ESPN+ can shove it. This wouldn't have been an option before this year. And moaning about production is like being an ass to your waitress over the way your steak is cooked. They do not control production, just distro). Weber definitely relied on their DB's by rushing only 4 and sometimes just 3 and dropping 7-8 into coverage. Saying EB was running for his life isn't true. He had lots of time and was the leading rusher for EWU by a wide margin because after standing in the pocket for 4 or 5, it would open up he would tuck and run. I'm not sure the Cats can employ the same strategy as I'm not sure we are as strong on the backend as Weber. We are definitely younger. The griz used their blitz every down scheme and he shredded them. EB also just didn't have a great game Saturday. He started something like 1 for 7 and just missed some open guys. Might be to much to ask for a 2nd equal performance. The thing that the Cats have though is I think they CAN get to him with just 4 and occasionally 5 guys. Weber's front is good but the Cat's is better and if Benson is constantly getting doubles guys will come free.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:32 am

Here’s some stats for EWU vs UNLV, um, WSU;

……………Eastern Washington Totals……...........Opponent
Vs………..Rush……Pass………Total……..Pts…......….Ttl yds
UNLV……..97………374……….471……….33……..........339
‘um……..116..…..422.…….538……..…34……..........358
WSU………189…….245……..434…….….34….….........482

AVERAGE.134….347….…..481.….…34…...........393

Notables;

*Comparing our game vs WSU to EWU's.....we held WSU to 7 points & 269 total yds, and, EWU's defense allowed WSU to score 35 points & 482 yds.

*In all three games, EWU scored ~34 points, while putting up 481 yards.

Can the CATS hold EWU below 34 points & 481 yards.......I think so.
Can the CATS score 34 against EWU's defense................I don't know.

EB looked 'off'' in the WSU game, even when he wasn't pressured.....although he was pressured quite a bit. Will he be 'off'' again after a 'bye' week.......I doubt it.

WIll James Campbell, Tyrell Thomas, Chase Benson, TJ Sessions & Eric Zambrano all be at or near 100%......I hope so.

Will this be a HELLOFA game........I'd bet on it. GO CATS!

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:07 pm

[u wrote:Notables[/u];

*Comparing our game vs WSU to EWU's.....we held WSU to 7 points & 269 total yds, and, EWU's defense allowed WSU to score 35 points & 482 yds.
Thank you for pulling this together.

One thing I thought was interesting was that WSU put up those numbers without their top rusher in Davis and their starting QB, Barron, didn't finishing the game. Makes you wonder if the combination that WSU ended with on offense was key to their success on offense or if they would have done more damage had those two been healthy...

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:09 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:29 am
Watched the Weber game on Monday (side note those of you griping about ESPN+ can shove it. This wouldn't have been an option before this year. And moaning about production is like being an ass to your waitress over the way your steak is cooked. They do not control production, just distro). Weber definitely relied on their DB's by rushing only 4 and sometimes just 3 and dropping 7-8 into coverage. Saying EB was running for his life isn't true. He had lots of time and was the leading rusher for EWU by a wide margin because after standing in the pocket for 4 or 5, it would open up he would tuck and run. I'm not sure the Cats can employ the same strategy as I'm not sure we are as strong on the backend as Weber. We are definitely younger. The griz used their blitz every down scheme and he shredded them. EB also just didn't have a great game Saturday. He started something like 1 for 7 and just missed some open guys. Might be to much to ask for a 2nd equal performance. The thing that the Cats have though is I think they CAN get to him with just 4 and occasionally 5 guys. Weber's front is good but the Cat's is better and if Benson is constantly getting doubles guys will come free.
EWU hasn't play a defense as good as ours, and that includes Weber's D (although it's close). If our Defense shows up, has done their homework, and is ready to play, we will have a chance.

That just leaves the Offense. We can't have a gameplan as conservative as we have the last couple of games. Vigen and McKay need to get together and agree they're going to take some shots to get some quick points on the board. If we play this entire game from behind, we risk running out of gas in the 4th, and then it's all over.

Gonna be a big week anticipating watching this one.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:11 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:23 am
I know the game is still over a week away, but I don't recall a game I was more excited about than this one. Looking over some stats this morning, it's crazy just how great that offense in Cheney is. Their offensive output is tough to comprehend. I know we can always get into the "who've they played" and what "teams they got at home" talk, but regardless it's damn impressive.

They average 52 points a game. Next highest is us at 34.

They've scored FIFTY-FIVE touchdowns to date. We're next at 32. :shock:

They average 604 yards of offense a game. 173 on the ground and 431 through the air.

They're averaging a whopping 7.5 yards per play.

I can't find anything within this offense that isn't very impressive.

I think we're all excited about our defense. This will be a true test. What is more entertaining to watch than a defense that allows about 10 points a game taking on an elite offense that gets 52 a game?!

We'll finally be able to see the actual makeup of a unit that we all think is great, matched up against the best the conference has to offer.

It's going to be a LOOOONG week.
We've had some pretty high flying offenses in the past that got stuffed when matched up against a strong defense. I thought the 2019 defense was good, but our boys now have easily surpassed 2019.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:21 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
While he wasn't running for his life, WSU was able to get pressure with 4, he didn't have lots of time before he had to break from the pocket. That is when it gets interesting with EB, he can make some amazing plays, but he also makes some bad decisions then too.

I think MSU's defensive is a little better and deeper than WSU's. I agree that our secondary might not be as good but we have never been fully stocked back there. If we can pressure him out of the pocket with 4, we have a lot of speed at lb and can probably play more zone than WSU does. It isn't gonna be easy but I think Banks has the tools to attack this offense.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:02 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:21 pm
Prodigal Cat wrote:
While he wasn't running for his life, WSU was able to get pressure with 4, he didn't have lots of time before he had to break from the pocket. That is when it gets interesting with EB, he can make some amazing plays, but he also makes some bad decisions then too.

I think MSU's defensive is a little better and deeper than WSU's. I agree that our secondary might not be as good but we have never been fully stocked back there. If we can pressure him out of the pocket with 4, we have a lot of speed at lb and can probably play more zone than WSU does. It isn't gonna be easy but I think Banks has the tools to attack this offense.
I don't think playing zone against EB is a great idea.

BStinsMSU
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BStinsMSU » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:05 pm

Big game for the guys up front, they can make it worlds easier for our secondary if they can collapse the pocket, even with how athletic EB is, at least make it harder on him is all you can do. Interested to see how Troy and O’Reilly (assuming he’s playing/healthy) get used based on how much we trust our secondary (will they be bringing pressure or will one or both be covering the middle of the field/spying EB). A bump from the defensive appreciation, but our linebackers are amazingly versatile and I’m excited to see how we scheme up for the best O in the country.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:23 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Game replays were on watchbigsky.com for at least the season, it doesn't seem like very many people knew that. I am noticing the replays expire on ESPN+ relatively quick, as in we can't watch replays too long - the oldest available now is UNC. And now that we are paying for the production I think it's reasonable to complain that the quality took a step backwards and the cost went from free to $6/month. But yeah placing your anger at ESPN+ doesn't matter, it's MSU's fault the product is bad.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:26 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:02 pm
cats2506 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:

Hard to not play zone with his running ability.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:48 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:26 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:

If Troy is the spy I don't think he can outrun him though.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:08 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:

This. I don't know what happened to my post but earlier I said I disagree we're not as good as Weber in the secondary IF we are fully stocked back there. If the following players are all healthy and close to 100% (In addition to Benson, O'Reilly, and TA). Then look out - I feel we have the best secondary and overall defense in the Big Sky.

Thomas
Zambrano
Campbell
Woodard
Webb
Marshall
Okada
Manning

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:10 pm

Whatever happened to Level Price Jr?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Prodigal Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Prodigal Cat » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:25 pm

catatac wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:08 pm
cats2506 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:

This. I don't know what happened to my post but earlier I said I disagree we're not as good as Weber in the secondary IF we are fully stocked back there. If the following players are all healthy and close to 100% (In addition to Benson, O'Reilly, and TA). Then look out - I feel we have the best secondary and overall defense in the Big Sky.

Thomas
Zambrano
Campbell
Woodard
Webb
Marshall
Okada
Manning
Not saying we don't. I'm saying I'm not sure. Name the passing offense that tested them. Wyoming?

At the end of the Weber game... nervous that the Cats would find a way to lose the defense was lights out. There was though 2 or 3 WIDE OPEN passes dropped by Weber receivers. The defense might have had a hand in that footsteps and all. But the players were totally wide open.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:30 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:

EB was" running for his life". He just makes it look easy! :shock:
Look how many times he is nearly in the grasp of a defender and then gone like a fart in the wind.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:32 pm

catatac wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:10 pm
Whatever happened to Level Price Jr?
I don't know where he sits on the depth chart but on special teams in the ID state game he was first man down and made a nice tackle on a punt.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:35 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:48 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:26 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
Prodigal Cat wrote:

If Troy is the spy I don't think he can outrun him though.
I'm looking forward to this matchup. 8)

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!