EWU Attendance

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

EWU Attendance

Post by gtapp » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:50 am

EWU attendance for 2019 was 6367 (a drop of 1600 per game from 2018). Have yet to find their published attendance for 2021 but I watched the highlights from the Weber game and the end zone seats and the seats on what I call the visitors side were all empty. The stadium holds 8600 so attendance must be under 6000. This for a team ranked 2nd in the country and has one of the best offenses and QB's in the nation at any level. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in EWU football. So why is that and how can they recruit so well with no attendance and sub par facilities?

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Pecos24
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: EWU Attendance

Post by Pecos24 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:59 am

Central Washington - 4523
um - 7944
Idaho - can’t find reported attendance for this game.
Weber - 5676

Bill Zander
CS '93
AKA - "F'n sorry ass"

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:03 am

I was going to get tickets to go watch this game, but ticket prices for the cheap seats is 80 bucks a pop all said and done. I'd gladly pay that in Bozeman and I've actually paid more in Bozeman than that, but for Roos!? Hell no.

BStinsMSU
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by BStinsMSU » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:05 am

gtapp wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:50 am
EWU attendance for 2019 was 6367 (a drop of 1600 per game from 2018). Have yet to find their published attendance for 2021 but I watched the highlights from the Weber game and the end zone seats and the seats on what I call the visitors side were all empty. The stadium holds 8600 so attendance must be under 6000. This for a team ranked 2nd in the country and has one of the best offenses and QB's in the nation at any level. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in EWU football. So why is that and how can they recruit so well with no attendance and sub par facilities?
I've wondered this too, I live in Spokane now and work with a couple of EWU grads, who have said that they knew their football team was good but just really didn't have any interest in the team while they were there. These same people also don't have very high praises of the school as a whole, so I don't know if the financial deficit the school is making an impact on the overall perception of the school or what, but I agree it's strange to say the least.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Living on the KittieKop Legacy...

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:31 am

Sure hope to see that place packed with Blue and Gold next weekend. I know our fans travel well, but they will really need our fans for this one.

Punters are people too!!

damnyoutuesday
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by damnyoutuesday » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:38 am

gtapp wrote:
They have significantly lower admissions standards than the Montana schools (and other Washington schools for that matter) so they bring in talent that wouldn't be able to play for UW or other schools

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:18 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:03 am
I was going to get tickets to go watch this game, but ticket prices for the cheap seats is 80 bucks a pop all said and done. I'd gladly pay that in Bozeman and I've actually paid more in Bozeman than that, but for Roos!? Hell no.
It seems EWU's plan to raise more money for athletics is just to jack up prices when the Montana schools come to town.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:49 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:18 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
It seems EWU's plan to raise more money for athletics is just to jack up prices when the Montana schools come to town.
Sell 1,250 tickets to Cat fans at $80.00 a pop and make a $100,000.
I guess that is some type of business strategy. 8-[

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:52 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
I was thinking of making the drive from Portland and staying with a friend in Spokane, but those ticket prices talked me out of it, too. I thought $30 for Hillsboro State was excessive. No way I’m paying $80 to get a migraine looking at red turf in person when I can sit on my couch for free.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:50 pm

PapaG wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:52 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
I was thinking of making the drive from Portland and staying with a friend in Spokane, but those ticket prices talked me out of it, too. I thought $30 for Hillsboro State was excessive. No way I’m paying $80 to get a migraine looking at red turf in person when I can sit on my couch for free.
You think maybe that is why the visitors tickets are so expensive? They don't want more visitors in the stands than ewu fans.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:55 pm

damnyoutuesday wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:38 am
gtapp wrote:
They have significantly lower admissions standards than the Montana schools (and other Washington schools for that matter) so they bring in talent that wouldn't be able to play for UW or other schools
They also win a lot of games and put players in the NFL.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:10 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:55 pm
damnyoutuesday wrote:
gtapp wrote:
I'm not sure that the clearinghouse requirement is that much lower than admission to a Montana school. If they had a bunch of non-qualifiers, that would be one thing, but I don't remember their big name guys (barriere, roos, kupp, ebukam, bourne, hill, kaufman, etc) being non-qualifiers coming in.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:16 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:10 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:55 pm
damnyoutuesday wrote:
gtapp wrote:
I'm not sure that the clearinghouse requirement is that much lower than admission to a Montana school. If they had a bunch of non-qualifiers, that would be one thing, but I don't remember their big name guys (barriere, roos, kupp, ebukam, bourne, hill, kaufman, etc) being non-qualifiers coming in.
It’s not. Just a convenient excuse people use. Now, Eastern is a far worse academic school than MSU, but it’s not like they can admit kids who were flunking everything. Like everybody else, they might get one or two exceptions per class, but that’s fairly standard.

Eastern has a great football program with a high flying offense that is fun to play in. Their QB’s have won Big Sky MVP’s fairly frequently. Their WR’s put up video game numbers. They’re close to a decent sized city in Spokane. They win games. That’s why they recruit well, and that they’re geographically located well for Washington and Oregon kids. A lot of times that’s an easier sell to parents than Montana.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:36 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:50 pm
PapaG wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
You think maybe that is why the visitors tickets are so expensive? They don't want more visitors in the stands than ewu fans.
I’m sure I could show up and get a ticket outside the stadium for $20, but it’s the principle behind it. Would this conference even exist without MSU and UM for football revenue? The rare Root games featuring neither university gets women’s softball ratings.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:11 pm

PapaG wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:36 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:50 pm
PapaG wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
I’m sure I could show up and get a ticket outside the stadium for $20, but it’s the principle behind it. Would this conference even exist without MSU and UM for football revenue? The rare Root games featuring neither university gets women’s softball ratings.
Wow. What a slam to the MSU Women's softball team, maybe we should add the sport.

Bobcat Sig

Post by Bobcat Sig » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:35 pm

PapaG wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
You’re missing out. I’m heading up with two others, ticket prices be damned. I’ll get my Cats games in when I can.

I thought it was known that ewooo jacks their prices for griz and Cats? Both teams travel well and both will pay to see their team. I don’t like that Ewooo does this, but I thought it was understand that this happens.

And since we’re on the subject, I’m very much in agreement that $76 for a ticket to that sub-par facility it a joke.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:41 am

Bobcat Sig wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:35 pm
PapaG wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
You’re missing out. I’m heading up with two others, ticket prices be damned. I’ll get my Cats games in when I can.

I thought it was known that ewooo jacks their prices for griz and Cats? Both teams travel well and both will pay to see their team. I don’t like that Ewooo does this, but I thought it was understand that this happens.

And since we’re on the subject, I’m very much in agreement that $76 for a ticket to that sub-par facility it a joke.
Putting it in perspective, Weber tickets on home side 40 yard line were $20.00. That was about the same at unco.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:53 am

Bobcat Sig wrote:
PapaG wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:

Do they boost ticket prices for everyone, or just the visitors? If it's just the visitors, why not just buy a ticket in the home section then just go sit with all the Cats fans? It's not like they're going to check stubs and even if they do, who gives a heck.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:25 am

Cledus wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:53 am
Bobcat Sig wrote:
PapaG wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:

Do they boost ticket prices for everyone, or just the visitors? If it's just the visitors, why not just buy a ticket in the home section then just go sit with all the Cats fans? It's not like they're going to check stubs and even if they do, who gives a heck.
It's for everyone. I went to their site to see the ticket prices and went through ticketmaster as one would for Cats tickets. Theit prices are ridiculous no matter the opponent. Tickets last week for the Weber game were 55 I believe.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:32 am

Bobcat Sig wrote:
PapaG wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:

Yep. It's been going on forever and who can blame them? Their fanbase is pathetic, regardless of their success. The only time it's remotely close to capacity is when the Cats and Griz come to town. Both fanbases travel very well. It's a win-win for them. They make money for those willing to fork out the cash for the game. And for those that choose not to pay those prices? Well that's just less visitors that would encroach on their "homefield" advantage.

Can't blame them a bit.