FCS Stats Poll - Cats to #6

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CatsFan10
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: FCS Stats Poll - Cats to #6

Post by CatsFan10 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:05 am

IMO Gold Rush is the perfect game to bring in a JMU, NDSU, Weber, ETC and see what we are made of. Home coming is the time to beat up on some sally team, gold rush would be an even more of an electric environment if we brought in some other squad who thinks they’ll get a seed come years end. Bonus… we’d get them at our house!

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:51 am

CatsFan10 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:05 am
IMO Gold Rush is the perfect game to bring in a JMU, NDSU, Weber, ETC and see what we are made of. Home coming is the time to beat up on some sally team, gold rush would be an even more of an electric environment if we brought in some other squad who thinks they’ll get a seed come years end. Bonus… we’d get them at our house!
The frequency of our early-season losses may go up as games like you suggest are very often a coin flip in the first couple weeks of a new season...but from a fan perspective, I love the idea.

CatsFan10
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by CatsFan10 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:12 am

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:51 am
[quote=CatsFan10 post_id=748638 time=<a href="tel:1635264333">1635264333</a> user_id=23967]
The frequency of our early-season losses may go up as games like you suggest are very often a coin flip in the first couple weeks of a new season...but from a fan perspective, I love the idea.
[/quote]

For sure, but honestly, at some point you’re gunna have to beat those teams. I’d rather test ourselves early, learn during the bye weeks and hit the ground running during play offs. Yes I agree this year is different and I’m so happy how the schedule worked out. But if we could have a top team at home each year, I’d love to set the tone early like that. ( yes of course from a Fans perspective)

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:08 pm

CatsFan10 wrote:
I understand your point, but Gold Rush is a marketing plan to get people to go to a dud game against a dud team that normally would have the smallest attendance of the season, and it works.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:18 pm

PapaG wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:08 pm
CatsFan10 wrote:
I understand your point, but Gold Rush is a marketing plan to get people to go to a dud game against a dud team that normally would have the smallest attendance of the season, and it works.
I hear what you’re saying, but if playing a high caliber team brings in ESPN GameDay, you still want what you described?

I just think the name (Gold Rush) and what the game has become, combined with a team like, say, Villanova in a place like Bozeman, Montana is a good sell early in the season. I think marquee teams around the country might even do that without a return game. Just some food for thought.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:27 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:18 pm
PapaG wrote:
CatsFan10 wrote:
I hear what you’re saying, but if playing a high caliber team brings in ESPN GameDay, you still want what you described?

I just think the name (Gold Rush) and what the game has become, combined with a team like, say, Villanova in a place like Bozeman, Montana is a good sell early in the season. I think marquee teams around the country might even do that without a return game. Just some food for thought.
Almost zero chance Gameday ever goes to Bozeman for a September game. JMU/NDSU/Sam Houston would pack the house without the Gold Rush marketing, anyhow.

What a ride

CatsFan10
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by CatsFan10 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:28 pm

PapaG wrote:
CatsFan10 wrote:
That’s a fair point, until we start scheduling better teams in that slot. I also think the whole season revolves around playoffs being at home. NDSU, JMU, WSU, great teams. Not taking anything away from them but getting a bye and then playing at home until the chip is an incredible advantage. We do that by beating good teams early and often. Sets us up for the long run. Of course having college game day is also extremely beneficial for recruiting.

If we beat Weber game one of the season when they were #3 we’d likely be top 4 rn. MSU is the same team at #6 but man being top 4 is nice. Get those home games, bring in some CAA team and pound the rock in December.

NDSU is a pain in the neck in their dome. Them and ISU blast music up until the snap which I think is crap but helps them win.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:36 pm

CatsFan10 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:28 pm
PapaG wrote:
CatsFan10 wrote:
That’s a fair point, until we start scheduling better teams in that slot. I also think the whole season revolves around playoffs being at home. NDSU, JMU, WSU, great teams. Not taking anything away from them but getting a bye and then playing at home until the chip is an incredible advantage. We do that by beating good teams early and often. Sets us up for the long run. Of course having college game day is also extremely beneficial for recruiting.

If we beat Weber game one of the season when they were #3 we’d likely be top 4 rn. MSU is the same team at #6 but man being top 4 is nice. Get those home games, bring in some CAA team and pound the rock in December.

NDSU is a pain in the neck in their dome. Them and ISU blast music up until the snap which I think is crap but helps them win.
I don’t mind the OOC teams in the first three games but I don’t want MSU playing a conference game in those first three games unless it’s unavoidable due to a scheduling glitch.

What a ride

CatsFan10
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by CatsFan10 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:39 pm

PapaG wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:36 pm
CatsFan10 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
CatsFan10 wrote:

I don’t mind the OOC teams in the first three games but I don’t want MSU playing a conference game in those first three games unless it’s unavoidable due to a scheduling glitch.
For sure, but we don’t need to be playing Drake, and SD and some of these other schools every single week. We mix in plenty of bottom feeders in conference play. Let’s get a game with JMU or NOVA, someone we don’t see every year and see what we’ve got!

As a fan I love putting our best out against their best. We gotta beat them at some point, right?

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:00 pm

CatsFan10 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:39 pm
PapaG wrote:
CatsFan10 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
CatsFan10 wrote:

For sure, but we don’t need to be playing Drake, and SD and some of these other schools every single week. We mix in plenty of bottom feeders in conference play. Let’s get a game with JMU or NOVA, someone we don’t see every year and see what we’ve got!

As a fan I love putting our best out against their best. We gotta beat them at some point, right?
Have you looked at the schedule the next several years? Gold Rush 2022 is against Mcneese. They are better this year than they have been in awhile. I expect that to be a decent game. Game #2 is against Morehead State. Yes it's a Pioneer school but they are currently tied for 1st. 2023 Dixie State is Gold Rush, and they are already a better team than the bottom 3 or 4 BSC teams. Then week 2 is at SDSU. 2024 We are at New Mexico week 1, at Dixie week 2, have Stephen F. Austin at home in week 4 and because it's a 12 game year we will add another game for Gold Rush in week 3. 2025 is at Oregon week 1, Gold Rush is SDSU, at SFA week 3 and home against Drake week 4. Another 12 game year.

This year was 2 bad home OOC games for sure. I would guess when we scheduled San Diego 3 or 4 years ago they were expecting the Pioneer dominating, beating BSC teams in the playoffs San Diego. Not the worst team they've had in 5 + years.

CatsFan10
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by CatsFan10 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:07 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:00 pm
CatsFan10 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
CatsFan10 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
CatsFan10 wrote:

Have you looked at the schedule the next several years? Gold Rush 2022 is against Mcneese. They are better this year than they have been in awhile. I expect that to be a decent game. Game #2 is against Morehead State. Yes it's a Pioneer school but they are currently tied for 1st. 2023 Dixie State is Gold Rush, and they are already a better team than the bottom 3 or 4 BSC teams. Then week 2 is at SDSU. 2024 We are at New Mexico week 1, at Dixie week 2, have Stephen F. Austin at home in week 4 and because it's a 12 game year we will add another game for Gold Rush in week 3. 2025 is at Oregon week 1, Gold Rush is SDSU, at SFA week 3 and home against Drake week 4. Another 12 game year.

This year was 2 bad home OOC games for sure. I would guess when we scheduled San Diego 3 or 4 years ago they were expecting the Pioneer dominating, beating BSC teams in the playoffs San Diego. Not the worst team they've had in 5 + years.
That’s great and I hope you’re right! A good game where we come out on top is a lot of fun.. I don’t place a premium on “good teams” in the pioneer or those outside the top CAA, MVFC, or BSC. Albany is a perfect example. Was supposed to be a good game 😆

I’m selfish and just want to see us competing with the best each week because then we don’t have to listen to SOS or when we beat teams by 40 it’s not because we’re good, they’re just bad.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:45 pm

I would expect gold rush to be WAC game and another week to be East Coast team in the future. That leaves a MVFC, MWC or PAC 12 for the 3 and 4th (if applicable) for the other games.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:55 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:45 pm
I would expect gold rush to be WAC game and another week to be East Coast team in the future. That leaves a MVFC, MWC or PAC 12 for the 3 and 4th (if applicable) for the other games.
You really think that an FBS team is going to play a game in Bozeman.

Best troll account on BobcatNation.com. Is this an AlphaGriz account? Didn’t that Misogynistic Mike guy get shamed from life?

What a ride

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:01 pm

Montanabob wrote:
You must be joking.

Any FBS AD that scheduled an away game at an FCS stadium would get fired with a quickness.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:12 pm

PapaG wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:27 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
CatsFan10 wrote:

Almost zero chance Gameday ever goes to Bozeman for a September game. JMU/NDSU/Sam Houston would pack the house without the Gold Rush marketing, anyhow.
True, I was just thinking the combination of a marquee school AND Gold Rush might be a better selling point than just a marquee game. But I have no idea what it would take.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:40 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:01 pm
Montanabob wrote:
You must be joking.

Any FBS AD that scheduled an away game at an FCS stadium would get fired with a quickness.
I think he may be saying a play up game at the FBS teams.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:22 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:12 pm
PapaG wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:27 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
CatsFan10 wrote:

True, I was just thinking the combination of a marquee school AND Gold Rush might be a better selling point than just a marquee game. But I have no idea what it would take.
The FCS gets a few days to a week head start on the FBS games. The first nationally televised games are FCS. If Gold Rush was the earliest possible Saturday, Game Day might have a clear shot. And I think that Gold Rush is earning enough cachet that MSU could invite about any FCS team. An Eastern team with national name recognition like Villanova would make a mighty good ESPN2 matchup. At the worst we get a quality opponent if we have to give them a return game. But I agree with Tom, that might be enough incentives alone to get a quality team to start the season.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:37 pm

grizzh8r wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:40 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
You must be joking.

I think he may be saying a play up game at the FBS teams.
That would make more sense. Thanks for correcting me.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:40 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:00 pm
CatsFan10 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
CatsFan10 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
CatsFan10 wrote:

Rumors are JMU will be moving to FBS and the sun belt as early as next week

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:10 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
You must be joking.

No way did I say we had a home game with FBS. We have 3 or 4 non conference games a year. 2 are home games including gold rush. 1 game is usually away and that is either an fcs or FBS game.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back