I hate espn

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

allcat
Golden Bobcat

I hate espn

Post by allcat » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:02 pm

You can't get espn+ without putting the app on your phone. I keep getting betting and NFL notifications. I don't care about either one. I've tried to get rid of the notifications, I can never get it done.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Re: I hate espn

Post by PapaG » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:13 pm

I don’t have that problem. You can turn off notifications on the app.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:14 pm

allcat wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:02 pm
You can't get espn+ without putting the app on your phone. I keep getting betting and NFL notifications. I don't care about either one. I've tried to get rid of the notifications, I can never get it done.
No reason you have to put the app on your phone unless that is where you want to watch ESPN+. Able to sign up for ESPN+ through the ESPN website. Haven't looked recently cause I already have it but I think I could even sign up through the ESPN app on my Roku.

As for the notifications...not sure if you are on iPhone or Android but on Iphone:
  1. Open the Settings app
  2. Scroll down and find the ESPN app
  3. In the settings for the ESPN app choose the Notifications option
  4. Toggle the setting to off at the top labelled "Allow notification"

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:28 pm

ESPN+ should be available on the ESPN website, smart TVs (just add the ESPN app), Roku and Chromecast and AppleTV devices, as well as tablets and phones.

The instructions will turn off all the notifications for ESPN on an iPhone from one place. If someone could help with an Android if needed, that would be great.

Don’t give up, allcat, it is a improvement and most of us are not from the gov’t and we’re here to help. Sometimes too many options are as bad as too few — but not in the case of Bobcat football! 💙 💛 😺
Last edited by Bobcat4Ever on Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:28 pm

I can't imagine trying to watch the games on my phone the way the cameras move around. Sounds like the above tips would be useful if that's your thing.

I can confirm that you can sign up/in through Roku or similar app system on a tv.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:30 pm

The ESPN app does have little popups within the app I've noticed that are kind of annoying.

But you should be able to go into the settings within the app and turn off "Trending Alerts" which is probably what you are getting. Settings - Preferences and Alerts, and scroll down and deselect anything you don't want notifications on. May need to go into "My Sports" and deselect notifications in there as well.

Or like kmax said just turn off notifications for the entire app on the device itself.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:19 pm

Do we get any idea which production company hired the camera crew? It was the worst production of a college football game I can remember.

The camera on field level … was the operator doing jumping jacks while filming?

The main camera … why couldn’t they track a ball downfield on a pass?

The good operators were the end zone cameras but those are pretty much set, but at least the operators didn’t cause vertigo.

The director … slow down on the jump cuts. This isn’t a Guy Ritchie film, it’s a football game.

What a ride

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:26 pm

PapaG wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:19 pm
Do we get any idea which production company hired the camera crew? It was the worst production of a college football game I can remember.

The good operators were the end zone cameras but those are pretty much set, but at least the operators didn’t cause vertigo.

The director … slow down on the jump cuts. This isn’t a Guy Ritchie film, it’s a football game.
The ESPN+ streams say a presentation of “Learfield Sports Properties.” As I understand it, Learfield holds all Bobcat media rights. They choose and hire the play-by-play announcers, etc., although MSU reportedly has some input. I’ll lay this egg on their doorstep until further notice.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:34 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:26 pm
PapaG wrote:

The ESPN+ streams say a presentation of “Learfield Sports Properties.” As I understand it, Learfield holds all Bobcat media rights. They choose and hire the play-by-play announcers, etc., although MSU reportedly has some input. I’ll lay this egg on their doorstep until further notice.
The announcers on the telecast I saw here in Portland were the Bobcat radio announcers doing a simulcast, so Learfield must have only hired the production team and truck.

Do better, Learfield. I hope someone there is reprimanded and/or replaced because that was so bad it was comical at times.

It’s my only complaint about the game but it’s actually legitimate for those of us watching out of state on ESPN+.

On a related note, who moved into @BethanyCordell’s role? Her outreach here was such a welcome and I’m glad to hear she got a promotion.

What a ride

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:53 pm

PapaG wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:34 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
PapaG wrote:

The announcers on the telecast I saw here in Portland were the Bobcat radio announcers doing a simulcast, so Learfield must have only hired the production team and truck.

Do better, Learfield. I hope someone there is reprimanded and/or replaced because that was so bad it was comical at times.

It’s my only complaint about the game but it’s actually legitimate for those of us watching out of state on ESPN+.

On a related note, who moved into @BethanyCordell’s role? Her outreach here was such a welcome and I’m glad to hear she got a promotion.
The radio announcers who do Bobcat Sports are chosen and hired by Learfield. So it should all be their mess. The digital stream most likely just goes out in the Internet, and someone with a computer can switch the camera shots. Streaming can be pretty simple compared to a TV broadcast, but they still need to send a good product.

@PapaG
This link to Zach Mackey’s LinkedIn page might help clear up the announcer situation. He is contracted to what is now called Learfield IMG College.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/zach-mackey-217aa653

In our off-seasons he does University of Iowa baseball.
Last edited by Bobcat4Ever on Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vike_king

Post by vike_king » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:55 pm

PapaG wrote:

What a "hip" film reference, bravo.

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:24 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:53 pm
PapaG wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
PapaG wrote:

The radio announcers who do Bobcat Sports are chosen and hired by Learfield. So it should all be their mess. The digital stream most likely just goes out in the Internet, and someone with a computer can switch the camera shots. Streaming can be pretty simple compared to a TV broadcast, but they still need to send a good product.

@PapaG
This link to Zach Mackey’s LinkedIn page might help clear up the announcer situation. He is contracted to what is now called Learfield IMG College.

This might explain why he was always rushing through every call to get as much information in as possible. He's used to a much slower sport where he has time to get the call out at a normal speed.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:26 pm

PapaG wrote:

Worse than Pluto?

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:33 pm

The biggest benefit of ESPN is that replays are on demand. It was always a crapshoot for when you'd be able to watch the replay on Pluto if you missed it live.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:35 pm

84CatGrad wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:26 pm
PapaG wrote:

Worse than Pluto?
Pluto was free and at times used stationary cameras and didn’t sell advertisements. This is ESPN, and yes, it’s worse given I’m glad I wasn’t hungover and had to watch the camerawork on the ISU game on Plus.

What a ride

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:46 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:24 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
PapaG wrote:

@PapaG

This might explain why he was always rushing through every call to get as much information in as possible. He's used to a much slower sport where he has time to get the call out at a normal speed.
I haven't heard him do a basketball game so I have no reference point here. But football, he simply talks too much, says too little, and misidentifies the play consistently. A Qb run play NEVER results in a SACK! 8) That might sound picky but without the video it matters. A 3 yard run play does NOT need an excited voice... :) !

My ears are so filled with his voice after the game I need a tonic! :lol: relax Zach, I know you love your voice...dial it in...just a little and learn to describe in simple terms what just happened before you.

OH, I just remembered, on Glessner's 54 YARD FG... he described it as a "chipped it in"!!!! :shock: Anything over 40 is NOT a chip shot! :lol: Drive me crazy.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:52 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:46 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:24 pm
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:
PapaG wrote:

@PapaG

I haven't heard him do a basketball game so I have no reference point here. But football, he simply talks too much, says too little, and misidentifies the play consistently. A Qb run play NEVER results in a SACK! 8) That might sound picky but without the video it matters. A 3 yard run play does NOT need an excited voice... :) !

My ears are so filled with his voice after the game I need a tonic! :lol: relax Zach, I know you love your voice...dial it in...just a little and learn to describe in simple terms what just happened before you.

OH, I just remembered, on Glessner's 54 YARD FG... he described it as a "chipped it in"!!!! :shock: Anything over 40 is NOT a chip shot! :lol: Drive me crazy.
My personal favorite was when he mentioned that Troy Andersen was missing the game due to injury. On the very next play Troy made a play (might have even been his dropped interception) and Mackey called his name without acknowledging his previous mistake.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:37 pm

Don’t the Griz just use SWX for theirs?

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:56 am

PapaG wrote:

Have you contacted Leon, Bill or Quinn about the issues? I’d be curious what they said.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:28 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:37 pm
Don’t the Griz just use SWX for theirs?
Can confirm, the Griz use the SWX feed. So why don't the Cats?