Matt McKay

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Matt McKay

Post by seataccat » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:09 pm

He's a major upgrade for the bobcats at that position. I'm really glad we got him.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:11 pm

He’s been decent this season but for someone who started at the FBS level, I had higher hopes honestly. He manages the game and isn’t turnover prone but he is less than dynamic.

I also think that anyone who believes we are holding back for later games is crazy. When have we ever seen that? We played Weber and couldn’t move on offense and stuck with the same plays.

Mellot is the type of player that can’t be kept off the field. I hope McKay proves this wrong but I am constantly wondering if we shouldn’t put that kid in permanently.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:15 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:21 pm
gtapp wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:16 pm
We need to try someone else. McKay appears to have lost all confidence.
I was thinking the same thing as I watched the game unfold. He seemed to lack confidence after his first 2 incompletions and his fumble. I think he ended strong and that will lend itself to the bye week. But, I would have him work on his roll out throwing. There is no reason why he shouldn't be able to throw a drop down pass to a TE or a slot receiver or even a wheel route...without it looking like a wounded duck flying into a Choteau County West wind!
Watch him. Most plays Lance is his first and only option.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:17 pm

We lost once this season with a phantom holding call. Mellot isn’t the answer to people thinking he’d be better than McKay. You’re nuts if you truly believe that.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:20 pm

94VegasCat wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:17 pm
We lost once this season with a phantom holding call. Mellot isn’t the answer to people thinking he’d be better than McKay. You’re nuts if you truly believe that.
We’ve lost once but our defense can’t be expected to completely dominate every game. We have to have an offensive presence that is more than just Ifanse dragging the other teams D down the field.

MTCAT91
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by MTCAT91 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:44 pm

Probably only partially McKay's fault but could he please look to someone other than Lance? How many throws to TE's were there? Any? You can't tell me Pickering or Snell wouldn't have had some success if targeted today. Besides, going to a TE on three step drop for some quick, easy throws can help a struggling QB gain confidence.

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:47 pm

utucats wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:20 pm
94VegasCat wrote:
We’ve lost once but our defense can’t be expected to completely dominate every game. We have to have an offensive presence that is more than just Ifanse dragging the other teams D down the field.
We need our offense to put up some points in two weeks. I’ll support whomever goes under center. However, Matt has struggled lately and I can’t help but think 2019 Rovig was a more accurate passer. I don’t think Tommy is ready for the reigns yet.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:06 pm

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:47 pm
utucats wrote:
94VegasCat wrote:
We need our offense to put up some points in two weeks. I’ll support whomever goes under center. However, Matt has struggled lately and I can’t help but think 2019 Rovig was a more accurate passer. I don’t think Tommy is ready for the reigns yet.
I think McKay is more athletic, but Rovig definitely had better touch on the deeper passes. McKay doesn’t seem to hit too many guys in stride.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:28 pm

utucats wrote:
94VegasCat wrote:
So, is putting in a true freshman who has a five play playbook when the team is 7-1 and heading for a huge game in Cheney what you propose? That’s such a ridiculous take it makes me wonder if you’ve ever been on a team or in a locker room. If MSU lost the game using your idea, Vigen loses the locker room but that’s only in fantasy world. It’s such an unrealistic idea that you must be trolling.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:36 pm

Vigen to Team: Hey guys, great win, we’ve won 7 games but those are behind us, let’s celebrate this one and focus on EWU starting tomorrow. Oh, and over the bye week we’re going to be rolling with Tommy as QB1 against EWU and for the rest of the year.

Team: Has coach lost his freaking mind? Who is this guy.

Me: People complaining about McKay, who has 13 TD/1/INT on the season, boggles the mind.

What a ride

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:13 am

PapaG wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:36 pm
Vigen to Team: Hey guys, great win, we’ve won 7 games but those are behind us, let’s celebrate this one and focus on EWU starting tomorrow. Oh, and over the bye week we’re going to be rolling with Tommy as QB1 against EWU and for the rest of the year.

Me: People complaining about McKay, who has 13 TD/1/INT on the season, boggles the mind.
McKays last two games were not good. He threw for 76 yards against Weber, 136 today and was about 50% on his pass completion. Idaho State did put six in the box and seemed to emphasize eliminating the passing attack ( but we’re talking 1-6 Idaho state). Anyways, I hope McKay turns it around as he can be a great player. But Vigen won’t continue to play a struggling qb just because the TEAM is winning games. He will play the qb that gives the team the best chance to win. If this trend continues it could be Rovig.

It’s a tough year to find much to complain about. This year has been awesome, fans have packed in each game, great to have football back and be better than we’ve been in a long long time. Go cats!

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:30 am

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:13 am
PapaG wrote:

McKays last two games were not good. He threw for 76 yards against Weber, 136 today and was about 50% on his pass completion. Idaho State did put six in the box and seemed to emphasize eliminating the passing attack ( but we’re talking 1-6 Idaho state). Anyways, I hope McKay turns it around as he can be a great player. But Vigen won’t continue to play a struggling qb just because the TEAM is winning games. He will play the qb that gives the team the best chance to win. If this trend continues it could be Rovig.

It’s a tough year to find much to complain about. This year has been awesome, fans have packed in each game, great to have football back and be better than we’ve been in a long long time. Go cats!
I was incorrect on the TD passes. Matt has 15 in 8 games, same number Tucker had the entire 2019 season including playoffs.

A tough year to find things to complain about, yet here you are complaining. How is Mcakay “struggling,” by the way. He threw 2 TDs today and has as many already as Rovig had in 13 games in 2019.

I’d hate to play QB under some of you armchair coaches. 7-1, 15/1 ratio, 65% completion rate in a vertical passing game, Top 10 ranking, and you bench me … I don’t get it. Lose the EWU game and you lose a lot of the veteran players with Mellot at QB.

What a ride

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:57 am

PapaG wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:30 am
bobcatfan123 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:13 am
PapaG wrote:

I was incorrect on the TD passes. Matt has 15 in 8 games, same number Tucker had the entire 2019 season including playoffs.

A tough year to find things to complain about, yet here you are complaining. How is Mcakay “struggling,” by the way. He threw 2 TDs today and has as many already as Rovig had in 13 games in 2019.

I’d hate to play QB under some of you armchair coaches. 7-1, 15/1 ratio, 65% completion rate in a vertical passing game, Top 10 ranking, and you bench me … I don’t get it. Lose the EWU game and you lose a lot of the veteran players with Mellot at QB.
This whole thread is an embarrassment. Some fans just don’t know how to enjoy a winning season.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:35 am

Matt has done an excellent job to date! The Cats wouldn’t be 7-1 without him. But the last two games he’s not been his usual accurate self. I think the extended Mellot play I believe in the 2nd quarter was done to give Matt a blow and to to recoup his Mojo!

I’m not for replacing him, but I want to see his confidence reflect a 7-1 team leader in how he plays within the final stretch!

His killer instinct needs to be on display once again!

BTW: he ended the game well! :)

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:39 am

2 things-

1. He is absolutely an upgrade this season to what we have had. I am definitely a fan of this guy.

2. Yes, he had a pretty terrible stretch the last 2 games (it happens). Anyone that try’s to argue that is just blind.

He is still our best option this year. This team will go as far as he can take them.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Lord Vigo
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Lord Vigo » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:25 am

I wonder if his mechanics got screwed up @Weber. Some of his misses in the first half seemed like the sort of over/under throws you see when a guy’s feet aren’t right.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:36 am

My first thought about McKay's game in Weber is "oh crap, this guy can't throw in the cold!" Later I thought maybe he got his bell rung on that first series as others have pointed out. Finally, I don't think it's either of those. I think it's something in his fundamentals that got out of whack such as what Lord Vigo just pointed out. Have any of you quarterback gurus taken a look at Matt's footwork or body placement and see anything that was out of whack?

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:48 am

He’ll have to play better if we want to beat EWU. His second half did look a lot better, but that missed pass on the rollout to the right where it went in between two open players was one of the worst passes I’ve seen. Just ugly.

I think he’s a solid QB, clearly better than the other options, a talented athlete, I’m just not sure he’s the most instinctive player.

I’m far from a QB guru, but I think he’s rushing his feet in the pocket. Kinda happy feet.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:51 am

Our best option is for the coaches to figure out what's up with McKay and fix it over the next two weeks. He was playing more good than bad prior to Weber and he's played more average than bad for the last two games. If something were to happen to him we'd roll with Rovig, not a freshman.

The only reason anyone wants Tommy to be the QB is because he's from Montana. Sure, send him out there to mess with the defense a half dozen times per game but he's probably QB3 at best on this team. His real position this year is Travis Jonsen + (without the receiving).

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:24 am

coloradocat wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:51 am
Our best option is for the coaches to figure out what's up with McKay and fix it over the next two weeks. He was playing more good than bad prior to Weber and he's played more average than bad for the last two games. If something were to happen to him we'd roll with Rovig, not a freshman.

The only reason anyone wants Tommy to be the QB is because he's from Montana. Sure, send him out there to mess with the defense a half dozen times per game but he's probably QB3 at best on this team. His real position this year is Travis Jonsen + (without the receiving).
I’ll speak for myself, I really do not care where any of the players come from. I want the best to play. I’ll be the first to admit I was very skeptical of Tommy playing QB Bc Montana QB’s almost never succeed. But man, with a good player, you can just tell they’re good…and Tommy is really good. And he’s going to be a good QB.

And personally, if something were to happen to McKay, I’d rather see Tommy out there than the guy who has struggled holding onto the ball whenever he’s played this year.