Post- Game Thoughts

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Post- Game Thoughts

Post by technoCat » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:54 am

So I finally got a chance to watch the game after a couple days. Coming at it from the perspective of expecting the offense to be boring and predictable, I've got to say I thought they OC called a fairly good game. Even late in the game he was trying to throw wrinkle plays in and we just weren't executing them. Part of that was McKay being off for parts of the game(he took some big hits even outside the suplex), and the OLine just not getting the job done. Plays were there to be made. If McKay learns to pump fake on the play where Patterson goes deep with McCutcheon curling underneath, teams are just letting the fly route go. I get that watching it live is a different animal but considering we got out with a win, I've got nothing to complain about there.

As for the defensive side of the ball, we have got to close those gaps in the Zone or EWU is going to eat us alive. I know it was Tyrel's second game back and he got thrown into playing the whole game with Zambrano going down but they abused him. I just don't see us getting that kind of pressure on EB so they'd better get some stuff figured out. Praying we get 1 and 4 back by then. Suddenly our depth at corner is being thoroughly tested.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:56 am

Anyone that says that the offensive play calling was good/okay are nuts:

9 1st downs
1-14 3rd down efficiency
1-2 4th down efficiency
4.0 yards per pass
3.4 yards per run

That is really BAD, and pretending otherwise is ridiculous.
I was super excited about the win, but wow that was an ugly win. Thank goodness for a D that made a TON of big plays!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:59 am

The Butcher wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:56 am

9 1st downs
1-14 3rd down efficiency
1-2 4th down efficiency
4.0 yards per pass
3.4 yards per run

I was super excited about the win, but wow that was an ugly win. Thank goodness for a D that made a TON of big plays!
Yes those are terrible numbers but I'm not sure how you lay it all on play calling. Did you see any plays that were there but weren't executed well by the players? If so, then its not just on play calling.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:01 am

technoCat wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:54 am
So I finally got a chance to watch the game after a couple days. Coming at it from the perspective of expecting the offense to be boring and predictable, I've got to say I thought they OC called a fairly good game. Even late in the game he was trying to throw wrinkle plays in and we just weren't executing them. Part of that was McKay being off for parts of the game(he took some big hits even outside the suplex), and the OLine just not getting the job done. Plays were there to be made. If McKay learns to pump fake on the play where Patterson goes deep with McCutcheon curling underneath, teams are just letting the fly route go. I get that watching it live is a different animal but considering we got out with a win, I've got nothing to complain about there.

As for the defensive side of the ball, we have got to close those gaps in the Zone or EWU is going to eat us alive. I know it was Tyrel's second game back and he got thrown into playing the whole game with Zambrano going down but they abused him. I just don't see us getting that kind of pressure on EB so they'd better get some stuff figured out. Praying we get 1 and 4 back by then. Suddenly our depth at corner is being thoroughly tested.
I could be mistaken, but I don’t recall them leaving the flats open like that against other teams. They’re going to call every game differently depending on who they’re playing.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:02 am

The Butcher wrote:

9 1st downs
1-14 3rd down efficiency
1-2 4th down efficiency
4.0 yards per pass
3.4 yards per run

You can't point at stats when the whole premise is that the EXECUTION was bad, not the play calling. There were plays to be made and yards to be had and we either didn't complete the passes or had penalties that brought back big plays.

All I was saying is that listening to people on here and following the game online, I had the impression that we were running it up the middle 3 downs in a row for the whole second half and that was just not the case. We were even trying to throw on first down to change things up and we just did not make the plays.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:05 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:01 am
technoCat wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:54 am

I could be mistaken, but I don’t recall them leaving the flats open like that against other teams. They’re going to call every game differently depending on who they’re playing.
I feel like at least once or twice every game, there has been some wide open holes about 15 yards down the field towards the sidelines. Usually a TE but they hit it with McPhearson(sp?) a couple times in this game too. Nobody has been able to capitalize on it yet but if we give that to EWU, we're going to be in for a long day.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:42 am

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:59 am
The Butcher wrote:

9 1st downs
1-14 3rd down efficiency
1-2 4th down efficiency
4.0 yards per pass
3.4 yards per run

Yes those are terrible numbers but I'm not sure how you lay it all on play calling. Did you see any plays that were there but weren't executed well by the players? If so, then its not just on play calling.
If the players aren't executing the game plan I would presume you adjust your game plan.
But maybe that 1 3rd down conversion is all on the players not executing a solid game plan?

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:54 am

The Butcher wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:42 am
91catAlum wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

9 1st downs
1-14 3rd down efficiency
1-2 4th down efficiency
4.0 yards per pass
3.4 yards per run

If the players aren't executing the game plan I would presume you adjust your game plan.
But maybe that 1 3rd down conversion is all on the players not executing a solid game plan?
Running ifanse into a mass of 12 people between the tackles repeatedly and expecting him to break it a few yards is stupid. No variety of the run an Weber just dug in. I loved the option with mellot and ifanse. If McKay is so good a QB and dual threat, why didn't he run it.
As I have said since Wyoming, I don't think McKay gets us to the championship. He misses the receivers and hung a few out to dry with high passes over the middle this week. When we get lance out in single coverage with a small CB, no one to help within 15 yards, this should be an audible quick slant and 15 yards. So maybe it's the offensive coordinators fault and not McKay's but it needs to change.
Offense in week 7 is vanilla bland. I guess we aren't putting anything on film for the UM and playoffs. Or we don't know how to plan an offensive game plan.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Lonepine
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Lonepine » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:53 am

I agree that Amandre was held on Weber's opening drive. The last time I was in that stadium it seemed the refs favored the home team and it was kind've looking that way- thank God for replay on the second fumble.
I would also agree that trying #16 ( Is that Mellott?) at QB would've been a good scheme when we were getting absolutely nowhere on the ground in the second half. The problem is getting the play off in time when you change. Thanks to our D for carrying the load. We sure beat them up.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:01 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:31 am
I judge accuracy by ball placement, not completion percentage. He was off on Friday compared to his usual. This isn’t complicated.
Yes, compared to his usual he was off, but you're oversimplifying things. It isn't that black-and-white. I think you have to factor in everything going on to get a clear picture.

a) He was pressured more than usual, which can effect ball placement.
b) He was playing a better defense than usual. WSU is the #1 ranked pass defense in the BSC and #2 in pass efficiency. They came into the game allowing 55% of their passes to be completed and have played JMU and Utah.
c)part of that success in b) is due to their secondary being able to cover receivers well. When DBs cover receivers well, quarterbacks have a smaller window to throw into, which puts pressure on them and causes their throws to be off.
d) I'm placing this last because I'm not sure it actually happened, but a few people pointed out that McKay was hit hard early on and that his head hit the ground very hard, which could've impaired his play a little. I know he was actually hit hard, but I'm not sure it impaired him in any way.

Like I said there's a lot more to it than meets the eye. Good pass rush + good coverage = not as accurate. But McKay still completed a higher percentage of his passes than WSU has allowed on the season. 63% to 55%. This isn't to say your judgement of accuracy (ball placement) is flawed, it isn't. Many times receivers drop well placed balls and it affects completion percentage, too.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:16 am

Montanabob wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:54 am
The Butcher wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

9 1st downs
1-14 3rd down efficiency
1-2 4th down efficiency
4.0 yards per pass
3.4 yards per run

Running ifanse into a mass of 12 people between the tackles repeatedly and expecting him to break it a few yards is stupid. No variety of the run an Weber just dug in. I loved the option with mellot and ifanse. If McKay is so good a QB and dual threat, why didn't he run it.
As I have said since Wyoming, I don't think McKay gets us to the championship. He misses the receivers and hung a few out to dry with high passes over the middle this week. When we get lance out in single coverage with a small CB, no one to help within 15 yards, this should be an audible quick slant and 15 yards. So maybe it's the offensive coordinators fault and not McKay's but it needs to change.
Offense in week 7 is vanilla bland. I guess we aren't putting anything on film for the UM and playoffs. Or we don't know how to plan an offensive game plan.
Even if we get to the championship, which is still a longshot at this point as I assume you mean the national championship and not 'getting' the conference championship, which is still difficult itself at this point, it may not be due to McKay or any quarterback. Football's a team game. Lots of teams win due their defense, and/or run game, and/or OL, and/or special teams. Coaches recognize this and play to those perceived strengths.

McKay did run it. He picked up the most important first down of the game and it set us up in Victory Formation. He also ran for a TD on a fourth and goal situation, which if he doesn't make it we may have lost the game. Those were probably the best two offensive plays of the game.

McKay is currently the #2 rated QB in the BSC. Third isn't close. The only higher rated QB is also the highest rated QB in the country. Perhaps point out who on the team you think would be doing better. Bauman, Rovig or Mellott? Andersen? Or were you also complaining last year when Rovig was the QB?

You could also make a case that Ifanse isn't very good and won't get us to the championship. Same for Andersen or anyone of the stars on the team. Ifanse didn't score, couldn't pick up a first down at a key moment and barely averaged 3 yards a carry. Andersen couldn't break an ankle tackle on his fumble recovery or he would've scored, and he overran the running backs more than once and got blown up on WSU"s TD. Whoa, I guess this team has all kinds of flaws.

This team is now 6-1 doing what their coaches are having them do.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:20 am

Montanabob wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

9 1st downs
1-14 3rd down efficiency
1-2 4th down efficiency
4.0 yards per pass
3.4 yards per run

If we were running into 12 players, we’ve got bigger problems than the game plan.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:26 am

iaafan wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:01 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
I judge accuracy by ball placement, not completion percentage. He was off on Friday compared to his usual. This isn’t complicated.
Yes, compared to his usual he was off, but you're oversimplifying things. It isn't that black-and-white. I think you have to factor in everything going on to get a clear picture.

b) He was playing a better defense than usual. WSU is the #1 ranked pass defense in the BSC and #2 in pass efficiency. They came into the game allowing 55% of their passes to be completed and have played JMU and Utah.
c)part of that success in b) is due to their secondary being able to cover receivers well. When DBs cover receivers well, quarterbacks have a smaller window to throw into, which puts pressure on them and causes their throws to be off.
d) I'm placing this last because I'm not sure it actually happened, but a few people pointed out that McKay was hit hard early on and that his head hit the ground very hard, which could've impaired his play a little. I know he was actually hit hard, but I'm not sure it impaired him in any way.

Like I said there's a lot more to it than meets the eye. Good pass rush + good coverage = not as accurate. But McKay still completed a higher percentage of his passes than WSU has allowed on the season. 63% to 55%. This isn't to say your judgement of accuracy (ball placement) is flawed, it isn't. Many times receivers drop well placed balls and it affects completion percentage, too.
63% completion with 4 yards per attempt isn’t very impressive. It just isn’t.

This is a simple discussion that you’re trying to obfuscate. The ball placement on passes was bad. I understand that certain circumstances made it difficult, but that doesn’t change what the simple facts are. Every single pass attempt against Weber ended with almost the same result as a run play. That’s bad by any metric you want to use. Is it understandable that things didn’t work as well Bc Weber has a good defense? Yes! But that doesn’t change that it was still bad.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:33 am

iaafan wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:16 am
Montanabob wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

9 1st downs
1-14 3rd down efficiency
1-2 4th down efficiency
4.0 yards per pass
3.4 yards per run

Even if we get to the championship, which is still a longshot at this point as I assume you mean the national championship and not 'getting' the conference championship, which is still difficult itself at this point, it may not be due to McKay or any quarterback. Football's a team game. Lots of teams win due their defense, and/or run game, and/or OL, and/or special teams. Coaches recognize this and play to those perceived strengths.

McKay did run it. He picked up the most important first down of the game and it set us up in Victory Formation. He also ran for a TD on a fourth and goal situation, which if he doesn't make it we may have lost the game. Those were probably the best two offensive plays of the game.

McKay is currently the #2 rated QB in the BSC. Third isn't close. The only higher rated QB is also the highest rated QB in the country. Perhaps point out who on the team you think would be doing better. Bauman, Rovig or Mellott? Andersen? Or were you also complaining last year when Rovig was the QB?

You could also make a case that Ifanse isn't very good and won't get us to the championship. Same for Andersen or anyone of the stars on the team. Ifanse didn't score, couldn't pick up a first down at a key moment and barely averaged 3 yards a carry. Andersen couldn't break an ankle tackle on his fumble recovery or he would've scored, and he overran the running backs more than once and got blown up on WSU"s TD. Whoa, I guess this team has all kinds of flaws.

McKay is the #2 rated QB in the BSC but that doesn't mean he doesn't have faults. There's a difference between watching the box score and watching the game. He's definitely our best option at QB but I don't think he's to the point where his play puts us over the top against playoff opponents. This game was a great opportunity for him to see a good defense and will give him and the coaching staff things to work on.

You seem to be taking criticism of McKay personally. Especially comparing calling out his faults to Ifanse and Andersen. McKay's passing issues (regardless of completion percentage) aren't new. He's a very good FCS QB that has some things to work on.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:38 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:26 am
iaafan wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:01 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

63% completion with 4 yards per attempt isn’t very impressive. It just isn’t.

This is a simple discussion that you’re trying to obfuscate. The ball placement on passes was bad. I understand that certain circumstances made it difficult, but that doesn’t change what the simple facts are. Every single pass attempt against Weber ended with almost the same result as a run play. That’s bad by any metric you want to use. Is it understandable that things didn’t work as well Bc Weber has a good defense? Yes! But that doesn’t change that it was still bad.
No, 4 ypp it isn't good. I never said it was. We had almost zero YAC. That isn't impressive either. Yards per attempt oftentimes gets higher when receivers are able to carry the ball after catching it. It's a team game. No one gets all the credit for the good, no one gets all the blame for the bad.

Yep, and I agreed with you about ball placement multiple times now, but for whatever reason that isn't good enough. Not sure what you want me to say. I explained thoroughly all the things going on to cause what you simply pointed out. I guess you disagree with all of that and are completely blaming all the problems of the passing game on McKay? Reply if you want, but I'm just going to drop out of the conversation as it's going absolutely nowhere.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:42 am

coloradocat wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:33 am
iaafan wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

9 1st downs
1-14 3rd down efficiency
1-2 4th down efficiency
4.0 yards per pass
3.4 yards per run

McKay is the #2 rated QB in the BSC but that doesn't mean he doesn't have faults. There's a difference between watching the box score and watching the game. He's definitely our best option at QB but I don't think he's to the point where his play puts us over the top against playoff opponents. This game was a great opportunity for him to see a good defense and will give him and the coaching staff things to work on.

You seem to be taking criticism of McKay personally. Especially comparing calling out his faults to Ifanse and Andersen. McKay's passing issues (regardless of completion percentage) aren't new. He's a very good FCS QB that has some things to work on.
McKay's throws are not good. Part of it is he never sets to throw, he is always, even when not being chased down throwing from a running/lateral movement. No set and throw. His completion percentage is because of short
low risk passes. I still think he won't be starting in the playoffs and right now I'd say mellot does.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:44 am

coloradocat wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

9 1st downs
1-14 3rd down efficiency
1-2 4th down efficiency
4.0 yards per pass
3.4 yards per run

Just trying to point out that football is a team game and what you see has a lot more to it than meets the eye. McKay, and the OL/receivers played really well against Wyoming. I'm not sure who has a better defense between Weber and Wyoming, but I don't think the fact that McKay only getting 74 yards passing is all on McKay. His completion percentage was almost identical in both games, but he had 200 yards and 2 TDs vs Wyoming. So maybe, just maybe, everyone played better offensively vs. Wyoming, not just McKay.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:09 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:42 am
coloradocat wrote:
iaafan wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
The Butcher wrote:

9 1st downs
1-14 3rd down efficiency
1-2 4th down efficiency
4.0 yards per pass
3.4 yards per run

McKay's throws are not good. Part of it is he never sets to throw, he is always, even when not being chased down throwing from a running/lateral movement. No set and throw. His completion percentage is because of short
low risk passes. I still think he won't be starting in the playoffs and right now I'd say mellot does.
Lol, well I guess we'll see about that. I think the coaches... that watch, study, and evaluate all these QBs pretty much 24\7, have Mellott at QB4 for a reason. He's super talented, going to get his touches in certain situations, and just might be the future QB1 for the Bobcats. As of now, that title belongs to MM and he's doing a damn fine job. For anyone saying, ya but he's not going to win us a chipper - you might be right. We'll see how it plays out. Rovig only got us to the semis last time he was the man, and he's only gotten better since then, yet he's QB#3 for now from what I can tell. I assume you aren't advocating for him to be the starter? Actually, I guess I'm not sure exactly what you're complaining about. :lol:

Personally, I'm enjoying the hell out of being at the top of the Big Sky and super excited to see where this team ends up. QB play has been very good overall, but not perfect. I think MM still has a higher completion percentage than Lulay, Prukop, McGhee, and every other Bobcat QB before him if I'm not mistaken..... and NO, they aren't ALL 3 yard passes.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:13 pm

Quick follow up thought, this whole discussion reminds me of the Frizzzz. All the armchair QBs pissed off about their QB#1 yammering on and on about how the #2 Kris Brown is the most talented Griz QB of all time (I'm not making that up, people have said that) and he absolutely needs to be starting. Well QB1 then breaks his ankle and the armchairs get their wish. He's not doing very good. That team that went into Husky Stadium and took down UW just lost to Sac State..... at home

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:21 pm

catatac wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:13 pm
Quick follow up thought, this whole discussion reminds me of the Frizzzz. All the armchair QBs pissed off about their QB#1 yammering on and on about how the #2 Kris Brown is the most talented Griz QB of all time (I'm not making that up, people have said that) and he absolutely needs to be starting. Well QB1 then breaks his ankle and the armchairs get their wish. He's not doing very good. That team that went into Husky Stadium and took down UW just lost to Sac State..... at home
Brown has had some good moments, but he's turned the ball over too much (3 fumbles, 2 INT??). I think five times now. He fumbles a lot and if he doesn't fix that, he won't make it. I think he has five fumbles, lost three in two games. You have to be a Dalton Sneed type player to keep your job if you fumble a lot. I think Sneed had small hands, because when it was cold (see WSU playoff game) he was very erratic. Perhaps couldn't grip the ball in the cold?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber