Post- Game Thoughts

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: Post- Game Thoughts

Post by The MICKSTER » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:36 am

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:42 am
wbtfg wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:22 am
Did anyone else notice that the refs didn’t call anything? Taunting/holding, etc.

I’d prefer it that way over too many penalties, but man, lots of obvious penalties missed tonight.
Yes. Lots of holding by Weber is what I noticed most. For example, on Weber's scoring drive, their LT had a blatant hold as their QB scrambled left and threw a 28 yard completion.
I was at the game and agree they did ‘let em play’ so-to-speak, but the hold on that scramble was not only blatant but right in front of the referee.....but the Cats persevered!

superbobcat

Post by superbobcat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:23 am

Beating them,defending conference champs at home and on their homecoming, on a short week, in a place that is difficult to travel to, and they were coming off a bye; I think to many are too critical of what didn’t go great. This win is HUGE!

I have always felt officials are what they are. Sometimes everything works out cleanly and sometime you have to battle through. One thing is for sure: the refs letting them play and the stay in the middle of the field style of both teams made the game go by really fast!

DMMDCats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DMMDCats » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:03 am

Rich K wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:12 am
While the scramble to figure out how to watch the game on ESPNU was an annoyance, I thought the actual game production by ESPN was well done. I think this was better exposure than playoff games aired on ESPN. The announcers actually talked about this game and weren't continuously promoting and selling (during playoff games) the upcoming FBS bowl games.
Agreed.

I enjoyed the broadcast of this game. The announcers kept the spotlight on this game. They did their homework.
I loved how they downplayed the offensive woes on both sides and really made it a showcase for MSU Defense. Made Vigen chuckle/sigh during the post game interview.

TA and Hardy show. Maybe ESPN will be back for a game in Cheney? And MSO.

Well done, ESPNU.

Encore.

Have a wonderful day!!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:16 am

superbobcat wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:23 am
Beating them,defending conference champs at home and on their homecoming, on a short week, in a place that is difficult to travel to, and they were coming off a bye; I think to many are too critical of what didn’t go great. This win is HUGE!

I have always felt officials are what they are. Sometimes everything works out cleanly and sometime you have to battle through. One thing is for sure: the refs letting them play and the stay in the middle of the field style of both teams made the game go by really fast!
Except the "difficult to travel to", I totally agree.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:37 am

Cats win . . . 6-1. Defense was outstanding!

The bittersweet: Housewright got schooled last night (period). I'm glad these lessons came in a win and now so that hopefully learning will take place quickly. Having blowout wins if freaking fantastic, but doesn't present the real opportunities to improve like what happened last night to the offense. I think the Cats will gain more than just a win from yesterday...

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:40 am

Defense looked great. Banks has these guys set up for success every week. The WSU offense isn't a big threat but we didn't let them do anything after the first drive.

Kicking/punting game was huge. FGs were the difference on the scoreboard and Shaheed was essentially eliminated (49 total return yards).

We had more creative play calling up 42-0 against Cal Poly than we did last night when at most we had a six point lead. I'm sure it was a result of game planning/field position but we could have mixed it up a little more than we did. Weber's defense is good but it isn't that good.

Still need to find a punt returner not afraid to return punts.

Strong win overall. I have a feeling we go home and score 40+ against ISU next week.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:42 am

On the game clinching run by McKay, RJ Fitz executed one of the most beautiful blocks I've ever seen that made the play possible. That kid understands placement, angle, technique - everything about blocking. Do yourself a favor and watch it over and over. Bravissimo.

coochorama42
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by coochorama42 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:58 am

I know I am the only person, but - save for one pass call that should have been an interception - I loved the offensive play calling last night, especially after we made it 7-7.

This game was essentially a playoff game for Weber. It was must win, at home, with almost everyone healthy.

The MSU defense is one of the two best in the FCS right now (NDSU) and the only thing that was going to change the trajectory of the game was an MSU turnover or a WSU punt return. I had literally zero doubt the game was over once we were up 10-7. We could have played another 60 minutes and they were not going to score again.

There are three weeks before that EWU match-up. The offense is good. It did what it was supposed to do last night. Play relatively error-free football and take advantage of their opportunities. This was a huge win, on the road, against a really good team with their backs against the wall. The first team to blink was going to lose.

They blinked.

superbobcat

Post by superbobcat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:06 pm

coochorama42 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:58 am
I know I am the only person, but - save for one pass call that should have been an interception - I loved the offensive play calling last night, especially after we made it 7-7.

This game was essentially a playoff game for Weber. It was must win, at home, with almost everyone healthy.

The MSU defense is one of the two best in the FCS right now (NDSU) and the only thing that was going to change the trajectory of the game was an MSU turnover or a WSU punt return. I had literally zero doubt the game was over once we were up 10-7. We could have played another 60 minutes and they were not going to score again.

There are three weeks before that EWU match-up. The offense is good. It did what it was supposed to do last night. Play relatively error-free football and take advantage of their opportunities. This was a huge win, on the road, against a really good team with their backs against the wall. The first team to blink was going to lose.

They blinked.
Yep, I agree! Our offensive coaching staff has tremendous knowledge and talent on it. Do they have room to grow, sure, but they also saw something that caused them to pound the middle and stay with it. A WIN is a WIN!

Bocephus

Post by Bocephus » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:09 pm

How many times have we seen NDSU win 16-10 in a slugfest. Vigen knows how to win a slugfest which translates to championships. Next thing to work on is 3rd down conversions and this game is over way sooner.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:14 pm

Rich K wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:12 am
While the scramble to figure out how to watch the game on ESPNU was an annoyance, I thought the actual game production by ESPN was well done. I think this was better exposure than playoff games aired on ESPN. The announcers actually talked about this game and weren't continuously promoting and selling (during playoff games) the upcoming FBS bowl games.
Yeah, the production was excellent and my group at Wild Wings that are mostly Oregon fans enjoyed seeing great defense. The missed hold on the first Weber drive with the bogus hold on Ifanse’s long run are my only officiating gripes. Other than that it was good, defensive football and a welcome change over a 55-48 five hour game.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Phat Daddy
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Phat Daddy » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:23 pm

A few observations:

1. Cats do not have a secondary option catching the ball, leaving no opportunities to exploit extra attention to McCutcheon

2. Housewright is a bit over his skis. He’ll need to grow up quickly on a trip to Cheney in November.

3. The 4th down late in game was a horrible decision. Just own it as such and move on. Any attempt to justify it is excuse making.

Defense is excellent. They’ll help Cats compete in any game where the offense contributes a touch. Special teams are solid, but I would move Melott to punt returner.

Much more fun to critique at 6-1 than 5-2.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:25 pm

I am normally the eternal optimist, but the 1-14 on 3rd Down conversions is in-excusable for an OC. That has to improve.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:38 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:25 pm
I am normally the eternal optimist, but the 1-14 on 3rd Down conversions is in-excusable for an OC. That has to improve.
This is where I’m at too. Weird play designs and calls that didn’t make a lot of sense.

I’d attribute some of McKay’s poor throws to not being in any type of rhythm due to lack of passing opportunities.

The deep shot to Willie at the end was bizarre. The 4th down decision and subsequent playcall was bizarre. Faking to lance on a fly sweep isn’t going to fool anyone.

Play calling and design need to be better moving forward. That said, I’ve generally been pretty happy with the play calling/design up until this game.

tdub

Post by tdub » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:03 pm

Here’s the deal. How many times have we seen this running game get stuffed for 2 1/2 quarters and then those zero and 1 yd gains turn into 5, 6, 7 yards a pop in the late 3rd and into the 4th quarter. They delivered body blow after body blow…and Weber had some stout abs come to find out. Tip of the hat to Weber and a tough defense. I noticed their speed and strong tackling. Those underneath routes routinely turn into 1st downs, except Weber did a good job. Long developing plays don’t work in a game like that and the risk far outweighs the reward, especially when your defense is dominating. So while everyone is complaining about play calling, a good defense will make almost every call look bad. What do you think Weber is saying about play calling? Meanwhile, we give credit to our awesome defense.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

rivercat

Post by rivercat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:07 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:06 pm
coochorama42 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:58 am

They blinked.
Yep, I agree! Our offensive coaching staff has tremendous knowledge and talent on it. Do they have room to grow, sure, but they also saw something that caused them to pound the middle and stay with it. A WIN is a WIN!
Great post and dead on.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:10 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:38 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:25 pm
This is where I’m at too. Weird play designs and calls that didn’t make a lot of sense.

I’d attribute some of McKay’s poor throws to not being in any type of rhythm due to lack of passing opportunities.

The deep shot to Willie at the end was bizarre. The 4th down decision and subsequent playcall was bizarre. Faking to lance on a fly sweep isn’t going to fool anyone.

Play calling and design need to be better moving forward. That said, I’ve generally been pretty happy with the play calling/design up until this game.
This kind of nailed it. The play calling was SO BAD/SO WEIRD that I almost have to think its part of some 4D chess match...trying to avoid putting big boy offense on tape for future games? Taunting Jay Hill over his "turnovers are coming" comment? Theres some weird coaching pool where Banks bets Housewright that the D can win even if the O can't score around traffic cones?

That offensive showing was so off the charts inexplicable (and not the players, other than McKay having an off game) that there almost has to be some other explanation to "Dive right, dive left, pass play short of the sticks, punt" sequence that the Bobcats ran starting with the shocking failure to drive to finish the first half.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:55 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:16 am
superbobcat wrote:

50-minute flight, directly to Ogden.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:47 pm

tdub wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:03 pm
Here’s the deal. How many times have we seen this running game get stuffed for 2 1/2 quarters and then those zero and 1 yd gains turn into 5, 6, 7 yards a pop in the late 3rd and into the 4th quarter. They delivered body blow after body blow…and Weber had some stout abs come to find out. Tip of the hat to Weber and a tough defense. I noticed their speed and strong tackling. Those underneath routes routinely turn into 1st downs, except Weber did a good job. Long developing plays don’t work in a game like that and the risk far outweighs the reward, especially when your defense is dominating. So while everyone is complaining about play calling, a good defense will make almost every call look bad. What do you think Weber is saying about play calling? Meanwhile, we give credit to our awesome defense.
If they can stay healthy, this is the best Bobcat defense I’ve seen since I started going to games in the early 1980s as a kid.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

superbobcat

Post by superbobcat » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:08 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:55 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:16 am
superbobcat wrote:

50-minute flight, directly to Ogden.
My bad, thought I read where they had to bus into Ogden.