BSC QB’s

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Marana CAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

BSC QB’s

Post by Marana CAT » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:20 am

Thanks to ESPN + I have watched every team in the BSC play at least once and most 2-3 games. (Weber, UM, EWU, UC Davis) I feel we just played the #2 QB in the league. If Davis Alexander was playing for a team like Weber lookout. As to date the only better QB in the BSC is Eric Barriere. I am very happy to get out of PSU with a 30-17 win. I honestly believe PSU could win 5-6 conference games this year.

As to date this is how I would rate the BSC QB’s.

1. EWU - Barriere
2. PSU - Alexander
3. UCD - Rodrigues (injury)
4. MSU - McKay
5. UM - Humphrey

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: BSC QB’s

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:32 am

Alexander is a stud and a good athlete, but I don’t think he’s a very good QB. He makes a lot of flashy plays, but was not even average after the first quarter yesterday. There are a lot of QBs like that around college football.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Marana CAT

Post by Marana CAT » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:43 am

Totally agree but he is out playing other BSC QB’s regardless of his style of play right now. Alexander is dangerous most BSC Defenses will have trouble containing him. I really think PSU is going to be above 500 in conference play this year.

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I will kick you repeatedly in the balls, Gardocki!"

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:16 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:32 am
Alexander is a stud and a good athlete, but I don’t think he’s a very good QB. He makes a lot of flashy plays, but was not even average after the first quarter yesterday. There are a lot of QBs like that around college football.
Go watch the 3rd quarter tape again. On their TD drive he was magic. Even on their last drive he made some crazy plays right up until the end. Just no wasted movement around the pocket and kept his eyes downfield.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:37 pm

Marana CAT wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:20 am
Thanks to ESPN + I have watched every team in the BSC play at least once and most 2-3 games. (Weber, UM, EWU, UC Davis) I feel we just played the #2 QB in the league. If Davis Alexander was playing for a team like Weber lookout. As to date the only better QB in the BSC is Eric Barriere. I am very happy to get out of PSU with a 30-17 win. I honestly believe PSU could win 5-6 conference games this year.

1. EWU - Barriere
2. PSU - Alexander
4. MSU - McKay
5. UM - Humphrey
I don’t know enough about all the QB’s in the conference to rank them, but I would definitely put McKay ahead of Davis Alexander. Alexander is good, no doubt. But I think McKay has demonstrated he’s a much better passer in their heads up matchup and his only interception was an obvious fluke.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Marana CAT

Post by Marana CAT » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:04 pm

Cledus wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:37 pm
Marana CAT wrote:

1. EWU - Barriere
2. PSU - Alexander
4. MSU - McKay
5. UM - Humphrey
I don’t know enough about all the QB’s in the conference to rank them, but I would definitely put McKay ahead of Davis Alexander. Alexander is good, no doubt. But I think McKay has demonstrated he’s a much better passer in their heads up matchup and his only interception was an obvious fluke.
Watch Alexander against Hawaii and Washington State. McKay might be a better passing QB but is it because of his line and run game. I’m not cutting McKay down at all. I believe he will be one of the best QB’s in FCS before he graduates however right now Alexander is playing extremely well for what he has to play with. I think when we look back at this season this win against PSU is going to look a lot better to most of us. Alexander and his WR’s are going to be a difficult matchup for every team they play. Cats have a very good Defense and he pushed them to play at a high level to win. This was a big win on the road.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:46 pm

Marana CAT wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:04 pm
Cledus wrote:
Marana CAT wrote:

1. EWU - Barriere
2. PSU - Alexander
4. MSU - McKay
5. UM - Humphrey
Watch Alexander against Hawaii and Washington State. McKay might be a better passing QB but is it because of his line and run game. I’m not cutting McKay down at all. I believe he will be one of the best QB’s in FCS before he graduates however right now Alexander is playing extremely well for what he has to play with. I think when we look back at this season this win against PSU is going to look a lot better to most of us. Alexander and his WR’s are going to be a difficult matchup for every team they play. Cats have a very good Defense and he pushed them to play at a high level to win. This was a big win on the road.
You may be but I am still not sold as McKay being a QB to get the bobcats deep in the playoffs. He and the receivers aren't on the same page often and I can't believe it is all the receivers fault as we have an offensive coordinator at wr coach. I don't like his accuracy on mid range passes to the side lines, making the receivers jump and stretch to even get close to the ball. Yes he has 1 interception but he has a lot of passes that weren't even close. And I wish vigen would explain, but no he better not even mention, why mellot came in as QB while the two other play callers sent in signals from the sideline.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:01 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:46 pm
Marana CAT wrote:
Cledus wrote:
Marana CAT wrote:

1. EWU - Barriere
2. PSU - Alexander
4. MSU - McKay
5. UM - Humphrey
You may be but I am still not sold as McKay being a QB to get the bobcats deep in the playoffs. He and the receivers aren't on the same page often and I can't believe it is all the receivers fault as we have an offensive coordinator at wr coach. I don't like his accuracy on mid range passes to the side lines, making the receivers jump and stretch to even get close to the ball. Yes he has 1 interception but he has a lot of passes that weren't even close. And I wish vigen would explain, but no he better not even mention, why mellot came in as QB while the two other play callers sent in signals from the sideline.
I'm not even going to comment on McKay other than saying 66% completion percentage.

The Mellot explanation is pretty simple. Wildcat QB who has speed and can actually throw. If you noticed McKay was out wide on those plays. Why would we bring in 2 less mobile QBs for wildcat?

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:04 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Marana CAT wrote:
Cledus wrote:
Marana CAT wrote:

1. EWU - Barriere
2. PSU - Alexander
4. MSU - McKay
5. UM - Humphrey
If you watched the end of the San Diego game, you can see Mellot has next level quickness and decision making on the read option. He ran four times yesterday and got two first downs. He was very effective in that role. Vigen has zero reason to explain anything with the QBs.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:11 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Marana CAT wrote:
Cledus wrote:
Marana CAT wrote:

1. EWU - Barriere
2. PSU - Alexander
4. MSU - McKay
5. UM - Humphrey
McKay is #6 in the country in pass efficiency. If he were any better than he is, he’d likely still be at NC State.

Just to be clear, he’s not perfect. But he’s a damn good FCS QB.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:22 pm

I'm very happy with Matt. Davis played a smart game, got people to bite then hit receivers. He can keep a drive alive, scrambling got numerous first downs. They really could not protect him as the game progressed.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:46 pm

technoCat wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:16 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:32 am
Go watch the 3rd quarter tape again. On their TD drive he was magic. Even on their last drive he made some crazy plays right up until the end. Just no wasted movement around the pocket and kept his eyes downfield.
That's not what I look for in a good QB. You need to make plays when it matters. He doesn't do that. He fumbled the ball away deep in MSU territory. Kirk Cousins is a perfect example of this. Makes all the plays for three quarters, then everything usually goes south in the fourth. He currently has the Vikings up 21-17 at halftime and has thrown 3 TDs, 16-20-0, 185 yards. Lets see how he does today in the fourth. I'm guessing 4-9-1, 33 yards, 0 TDs, fumble, sacked twice.

McKay started the game 3-6-1, 42 yards 0 TDs; Alexander started 9-12-0, 135 yards, TD.
McKay finished the game 11-15-0, 183 yards, 2 TDs; Alexander finished the game 9-20-1, 130 yards 0 TDs

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:13 pm

I was so impressed with Davis Alexander in person. Extended so many plays and throws a nice ball, too. Holding them to 17 points was a good effort by the defense. Plus MSU could have easily punched in one more TD that last drive .

Side note, I sat by Elijah Elliott’s family in the family section and there were at least 10 of them going as bonkers as all of us. Really good people.
Last edited by PapaG on Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:21 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:11 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Marana CAT wrote:
Cledus wrote:
Marana CAT wrote:

1. EWU - Barriere
2. PSU - Alexander
4. MSU - McKay
5. UM - Humphrey
McKay is #6 in the country in pass efficiency. If he were any better than he is, he’d likely still be at NC State.

If he were better, why isn't he at NC state. I said I don't feel he is an improvement

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:23 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Marana CAT wrote:
Cledus wrote:
Marana CAT wrote:

1. EWU - Barriere
2. PSU - Alexander
4. MSU - McKay
5. UM - Humphrey
I'm not sure how many of you notice it but McKay is relatively slow compared to QB's we have seen in the past. It looks like he is running hard but has a hard time out running anyone but DT'S. Just looking at his build, I would say he's in the lower half of the team in lower body strength. He exhibits good accuracy on most throws and is able to use touch on throws that need it. The only player he consistently overthrows is Jaden Smith. Smith must appear 8 feet tall to him!

2024 Resume dominance

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:42 pm

How do you get the replay on ESPN+? Step by step instructions for a small child, please.

toM StUber

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:42 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:21 pm
onceacat wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Marana CAT wrote:
Cledus wrote:
Marana CAT wrote:

1. EWU - Barriere
2. PSU - Alexander
4. MSU - McKay
5. UM - Humphrey

If he were better, why isn't he at NC state. I said I don't feel he is an improvement
Oh come on now.

He’s a huge upgrade over 2019. It’s obvious in person. Rovig might also be better than 2019 too but this is a QB that can actually win games over managing wins.

What a ride

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:45 pm

PapaG wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:42 pm
Montanabob wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Marana CAT wrote:
Cledus wrote:
Marana CAT wrote:

1. EWU - Barriere
2. PSU - Alexander
4. MSU - McKay
5. UM - Humphrey

Oh come on now.

He’s a huge upgrade over 2019. It’s obvious in person. Rovig might also be better than 2019 too but this is a QB that can actually win games over managing wins.
I don't think he will be starting for the playoffs.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:49 pm

Montanabob wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Marana CAT wrote:
Cledus wrote:
Marana CAT wrote:

1. EWU - Barriere
2. PSU - Alexander
4. MSU - McKay
5. UM - Humphrey

:lol: :lol: When's the last time MSU had a QB drive his team to go-ahead scores twice in the fourth quarter? McKay did that against Wyoming and was on the verge of doing it again had the clock not simply run out. When's the last time MSU had a QB with a passer rating of 178 through four games? Over any four games? Or a 9 to 1 TD to INT ration? He brought MSU back from 10-3 and 17-16 deficits this past week. People were begging for a good QB here for years, but this isn't good enough? :lol: :lol:

toM StUber

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:53 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:45 pm
PapaG wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:42 pm
Montanabob wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Marana CAT wrote:
Cledus wrote:
Marana CAT wrote:

1. EWU - Barriere
2. PSU - Alexander
4. MSU - McKay
5. UM - Humphrey

Oh come on now.

I don't think he will be starting for the playoffs.
It will only be if he’s injured if that happens. Wow

This is a Lulay/McGhee/Prukop talent at QB and if not for a bogus illegal block call in Laramie, this team is 4-0 and rolling.
Last edited by PapaG on Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What a ride