Some things will never change

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Some things will never change

Post by GoCats18 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:20 pm

I have been a Bobcat fan my whole life and one thing that will never change is us playing to our opponents level. I am not sure if this is due to the game day atmosphere that a lot of Big Sky schools have, coaching, players, coaching…….I will never understand how the Cats can’t just walk into a piss poor teams stadium and win. I mean win. Like 5 touchdowns by halftime win. Like control the ball win. Like dominate on defense win. We won’t win Conference Championships if we can’t dominate on the road and at home!!

Punters are people too!!

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Re: Some things will never change

Post by 94VegasCat » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:47 pm

CATStastrophes. Been a fan since birth and no matter how good I think we are or appear to be, the inevitable ****** show is always right around the corner.

Adjustments best be made. Lots of sore elbows this past week in the media interviews. Patting our own backs too much.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:00 pm

I can’t watch, so take it with a grain of salt: people have already forgotten how average the 2019 squad looked prior to the Davis game. Or how the 2018 was borderline bad until they lucked into the playoffs.

This team has weaknesses, for sure. But the team we watched take WY down to the wire & crushed 2 non-scholarship teams is going to right the ship in the 2nd half.

This is the first time we’ve seen hitches from the transition this year. It won’t be the last. Cats will be fine going down the stretch.

NorthernPlains
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by NorthernPlains » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:24 pm

onceacat wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:00 pm
I can’t watch, so take it with a grain of salt: people have already forgotten how average the 2019 squad looked prior to the Davis game. Or how the 2018 was borderline bad until they lucked into the playoffs.

This team has weaknesses, for sure. But the team we watched take WY down to the wire & crushed 2 non-scholarship teams is going to right the ship in the 2nd half.

This is the first time we’ve seen hitches from the transition this year. It won’t be the last. Cats will be fine going down the stretch.

I fully expect a victory in Portland today. You may also be right about the remainder of the season. Yet the three games prior to this have not necessarily done the team much good.

Almost beating Wyoming seemed impressive. Yet that was probably deceptive. Wyoming is toying with losing to Connecticut which is possibly the WORST team in all of Div 1 football. Then pounding the two cupcakes at home was great for morale but didn't get the guys ready for the Big Sky conference.

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:37 pm

R-E-L-A-X. We have a QB that can throw the rock and a RB that can tote it. Nice win for the good guys.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:46 pm

The betting line was 12.5 to 13.5. Cats won by 13 just as professionals anticipated. Beating the crap out of 2 Pioneer teams have the fans believing that margin of victory is always expected. PSU has good athletes and a really scrappy qb. Relax Bobcat fans.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

CPACAT
Member # Retired

Post by CPACAT » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:03 pm

Seems we as fans have gotten pretty disrespectful of some our opponents based upon comments I have seen. PSU has players on scholarship, they work out and practice like we do. They pay coaches who recruit and try to win games. Is seems pretty damn arrogant to bitch because we don’t dominate like you think we should. There is a reason they actually play the games.

IYAACYAS

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:16 pm

The game was definitely closer than what I would have liked, but it’s not like we can play UM every week.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:18 pm

PSU games are always weird.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

4KornerKat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 4KornerKat » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:24 pm

The game today was a heck of a lot more interesting to watch than the last two. Great to see cats hit some adversity, and then adapt and overcome. As a few posters have mentioned, these are games in past years that we have let slip away, great to see the resolve to come out with the W.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:24 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:20 pm
I have been a Bobcat fan my whole life and one thing that will never change is us playing to our opponents level. I am not sure if this is due to the game day atmosphere that a lot of Big Sky schools have, coaching, players, coaching…….I will never understand how the Cats can’t just walk into a piss poor teams stadium and win. I mean win. Like 5 touchdowns by halftime win. Like control the ball win. Like dominate on defense win. We won’t win Conference Championships if we can’t dominate on the road and at home!!
Time will tell if PSU is "piss poor" or not. They were decently competitive in their two FBS games against Hawaii and Washington State.

Road wins are hard. Period. They're generally not going to be pretty but championship teams find a way to get the job done like MSU did today. I for one am thrilled with the win and will spend zero time worrying about how they got it.

MSU Toddler

Post by MSU Toddler » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:28 pm

Cats D ended up holding PSU and DA to the lowest output they've had to date...

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:30 pm

I think this game demonstrates the importance of establishing and dominating the line of scrimmage. It has a cumulative effect throughout the game and those five yard runs in the first half turn into 7-8 yards in the second half and the passing game becomes a nice option rather than the go-to.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

bpcats20
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by bpcats20 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:54 pm

Couple of things… think Coulter was right MSU may not be designing runs to take advantage of who we have in offensive line. We were more creative in the run game in years past.

We also have some 1st coordinators or very inexperienced coordinators. There are going to be some growing pains.

I can see us being a solid team but not a great team.

Griz are currently about 5 steps ahead in how they are playing right now…

Prodigal Cat

Post by Prodigal Cat » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:07 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:18 pm
Them and NAU.

Brewer/Owner Copper Furrow Brewing

Lord Vigo

Post by Lord Vigo » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:18 pm

If they don't choose to kneel at the end, they win by 20 on the road. Good grief.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:19 pm

Prodigal Cat wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:07 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:18 pm
Them and NAU.
PSU and NAU have nothing on the several crazy games MSU has played at Sac State over the years, beginning with the 2002 game in which MSU kept its season alive with a game-winning FG after a face mask penalty gave them a free play with no time on the clock.

tdub

Post by tdub » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:21 pm

The hallmark of Choate coached teams was they got stronger as the game went on and as the season went on. Vigen is not Choate of course, but almost every player was coached by Choate so the DNA is there. Time will tell if Vigen coached teams follow the same path. It was true in today’s game.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:22 pm

bpcats20 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:54 pm
Couple of things… think Coulter was right MSU may not be designing runs to take advantage of who we have in offensive line. We were more creative in the run game in years past.

We also have some 1st coordinators or very inexperienced coordinators. There are going to be some growing pains.

Gotta disagree on the Griz part. Humphrey is an average QB and they can't run the ball. They just have a stout D.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:30 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:22 pm
bpcats20 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:54 pm

Gotta disagree on the Griz part. Humphrey is an average QB and they can't run the ball. They just have a stout D.
Come Cat-griz, if both teams score less than 20 points I like our chances.

I didn't see today's game but if the inexperience of our coordinators is starting to show that's not surprising. I've been saying since February that that's the only thing that can hold this team back. Luckily they have plenty of should-win games to work out the kinks.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!