The Good, Bad, Ugly San Diego

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

tetoncat
Member # Retired

The Good, Bad, Ugly San Diego

Post by tetoncat » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:50 pm

No thread this week. Was everything good. I'm take a stab.

Good. Defense strong the whole game even with backups playing. McKay running. Diverse scoring.

Bad. Still seems like we stay to script on offense early, and concerned I it will hurt against stronger teams.

Ugly. Nothing for this game.

Sports is not bigger than life

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Re: The Good, Bad, Ugly San Diego

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:43 am

tetoncat wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:50 pm
No thread this week. Was everything good. I'm take a stab.

Good. Defense strong the whole game even with backups playing. McKay running. Diverse scoring.

Bad. Still seems like we stay to script on offense early, and concerned I it will hurt against stronger teams.

Ugly. Nothing for this game.
I'm of the opinion that all in all the 52-10 win says it all. No serious injuries, the refs played no role, and...outside of wanting more from the run game, I think everything is trending up!!!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:59 am

Good: how well the QBs ran. 15 times for 147 yards. It was very windy, so this element was important. I was surprised that Bauman could run so well. I hope to see more of this, but earlier in the game. Mellott is especially good and a great weapon to force teams to spend time preparing for.

Bad: no diamond or unorthodox sets yet. Part of the reason we ran so well in the past is the way we’d diversify the backfield. I’d like to see Ifanse, Martin and Elliott with any one of the QBs lined up in the backfield together.

Ugly: NA

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:21 am

Good: as catsrback76 states, the 52-10 win says it all

Bad: refer to Good.

Needs improvement: the OL seems to have taken a step back with regard to run blocking since 2019. This is just my casual observation. I doubt we push around the league like we did Drake and San Diego, so I'd like to see that as a point of emphasis. It won't get any easier going forward.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Slackjaw
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Slackjaw » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:37 am

Good: The defense continues to impress. Really like the play of the D-Line, Safeties, and Ty Okada.

Bad: Run game has me concerned. In the past we were able to run when everybody knew we were running and it was demoralizing to the other team. I've heard the excuse that people are packing the box and playing very aggressive to stop the run. How is that different from past, when we literally had no passing game? Most of our run yards have come from a big pop play or QB. There isn't the consistent 7 yard gains coming from the RBs. And against two PFL teams we should be concerned. Those are the games where we should have been able to play close to the vest and enforce our will upon the other team but instead we were forced to pass. We won't have the mis-matches on the outside in the coming weeks. Run game often reflects the mentality of a team and something is missing right now. Hope I'm wrong.

Ugly: Nothing

If not this year?.........When?

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:48 am

Slackjaw wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:37 am
Good: The defense continues to impress. Really like the play of the D-Line, Safeties, and Ty Okada.

Bad: Run game has me concerned. In the past we were able to run when everybody knew we were running and it was demoralizing to the other team. I've heard the excuse that people are packing the box and playing very aggressive to stop the run. How is that different from past, when we literally had no passing game? Most of our run yards have come from a big pop play or QB. There isn't the consistent 7 yard gains coming from the RBs. And against two PFL teams we should be concerned. Those are the games where we should have been able to play close to the vest and enforce our will upon the other team but instead we were forced to pass. We won't have the mis-matches on the outside in the coming weeks. Run game often reflects the mentality of a team and something is missing right now. Hope I'm wrong.

We aren't running double TE sets near as much. We used to have 7 guys blocking on the interior every run play. Plus we had WR that were very physical. I think that's why the sweeps are far less effective. I think that Justus and TJ need to get some work in before we start getting too concerned. They did play fairly well against Wyoming. AND if people are going to keep disrespecting the pass, we are going to keep taking it.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:00 am

I understand the concern over the run game, but tell me if I'm way off here. In 2019, weren't there games where the run game wasn't clicking early on? I think about the NAU game where MSU was down 0-21 in the first half and had less than 100 yards rushing that half (and not a ton through the air either). First drives were punt, pix-six, punt, fumble, punt, punt, punt. But you keep bludgeoning the other team long enough and eventually the run game starts working. MSU didn't put together a long drive until the end of the 3rd/beginning of the 4th in that game, then they ran at will. Against SEMO, MSU had basically one big play in the whole first half--a 38 yard TD run by TA--then things got rolling in the 2nd half. Against UM and Austin Peay the Cats passed a little more and the run game opened up for the consistent 8-10 yard runs in the second half. This year MSU has the option to go to the air when the run isn't really hitting and I'm not mad about that. I feel like if this team really had to rely on the run like the 2019 team did, that would start to soften up a bit. Maybe it wouldn't be quite the same as that group, but this offense has more to offer through the air. In 2019 we were frustrated that the offense was too one-dimensional and this year we're concerned that it's not as one-dimensional.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:04 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:00 am
I understand the concern over the run game, but tell me if I'm way off here. In 2019, weren't there games where the run game wasn't clicking early on? I think about the NAU game where MSU was down 0-21 in the first half and had less than 100 yards rushing that half (and not a ton through the air either). First drives were punt, pix-six, punt, fumble, punt, punt, punt. But you keep bludgeoning the other team long enough and eventually the run game starts working. MSU didn't put together a long drive until the end of the 3rd/beginning of the 4th in that game, then they ran at will. Against SEMO, MSU had basically one big play in the whole first half--a 38 yard TD run by TA--then things got rolling in the 2nd half. Against UM and Austin Peay the Cats passed a little more and the run game opened up for the consistent 8-10 yard runs in the second half. This year MSU has the option to go to the air when the run isn't really hitting and I'm not mad about that. I feel like if this team really had to rely on the run like the 2019 team did, that would start to soften up a bit. Maybe it wouldn't be quite the same as that group, but this offense has more to offer through the air. In 2019 we were frustrated that the offense was too one-dimensional and this year we're concerned that it's not as one-dimensional.
Yep....I was going to post something similar. The WIU game (they finished 1-11), we had one big run. Aside from that we were pretty bad rushing the ball in that game (granted Ifanse was out, I believe). We finished the year year running the ball well, but we definitely had some fits and starts.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:08 am

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:04 am
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Yep....I was going to post something similar. The WIU game (they finished 1-11), we had one big run. Aside from that we were pretty bad rushing the ball in that game (granted Ifanse was out, I believe). We finished the year year running the ball well, but we definitely had some fits and starts.
Thanks for bring context to the discussion. This is good info. It often seems we compare to the end of the last season not the beginning.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:09 am

technoCat wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:48 am
Slackjaw wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:37 am

We aren't running double TE sets near as much. We used to have 7 guys blocking on the interior every run play. Plus we had WR that were very physical. I think that's why the sweeps are far less effective. I think that Justus and TJ need to get some work in before we start getting too concerned. They did play fairly well against Wyoming. AND if people are going to keep disrespecting the pass, we are going to keep taking it.
I like we can switch to the pass again when the runs not working, but lack of depth is showing in the Oline. I feel we did better against Wyoming because Cole Sain is a beast and that injury really hurt. The last 2 games the oline has fallen back and protected McKay well, but when the call is a RPO or run play the Oline isn't getting any push up field and not opening holes for the backs. I figured Drake may have a decent defense and by the second half we'd be able to run at will, but that never happened. Same in the SD game, except i knew SD defense was terrible and still no push. It wasn't until the 4th Qtr of the SD game the run game was finally established.

If i'm Vigen, the O-line is my biggest concern and needs to be fixed asap, because once we run into a really stout D like Montana or Weber they're going to shut us down and there will be no offense run or pass.
Last edited by luckyirishguy25 on Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:11 am

Good-
    Defensive speed, I believe this is the fastest defense I have seen the bobcats field.
      I really enjoy seeing our TE play evolve especially Pickering, he could be really good.
        Troy is really settling in as a MLB and he will only get better.

Bad- Our young snapper needs some more focus. Not great snaps = 0 points

Ugly- The old guy that sits behind me and acts like he knows every player personally and can out coach everyone on the field.

wbtfg
        Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:19 am

Ugly (funny): Listening to Callahan trying to pronounce Toreros on the TV broadcast. I think I heard Torderos, Tordos, Tortillas, Torpedos....never Toreros. :lol:

kennethnoisewater
        BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:25 am

wbtfg wrote:
        Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:19 am
        Ugly (funny): Listening to Callahan trying to pronounce Toreros on the TV broadcast. I think I heard Torderos, Tordos, Tortillas, Torpedos....never Toreros. :lol:
        I love that guy but he struggles with pronunciations. I also think we had Tanner Pickering and maybe even Torero Pickering in that game. Sometimes I even wonder if he's going to get "Montana State" out successfully.

BelligerentBobcat
        Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:08 am

iaafan wrote:
        Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:59 am
        Good: how well the QBs ran. 15 times for 147 yards. It was very windy, so this element was important. I was surprised that Bauman could run so well. I hope to see more of this, but earlier in the game. Mellott is especially good and a great weapon to force teams to spend time preparing for.

Bad: no diamond or unorthodox sets yet. Part of the reason we ran so well in the past is the way we’d diversify the backfield. I’d like to see Ifanse, Martin and Elliott with any one of the QBs lined up in the backfield together.

Ugly: NA
        We run a different offense now. You’re not going to see the diamond formation or anything like that, unless maybe in short yardage situations.

AFCAT
        Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:13 am

superbobcat wrote:
        Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:11 am
        Good-
          Defensive speed, I believe this is the fastest defense I have seen the bobcats field.
            I really enjoy seeing our TE play evolve especially Pickering, he could be really good.

Ugly- The old guy that sits behind me and acts like he knows every player personally and can out coach everyone on the field.
              I’m betting that old guy is a regular poster on this fan board.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
              Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
              “In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

ilovethecats
              Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:14 am

AFCAT wrote:
              Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:13 am
              superbobcat wrote:
              Good-

:lol:

TomCat88
                    Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:16 am

Long Time Cat wrote:
                    Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:08 am
                    wbtfg wrote:
                    kennethnoisewater wrote:
                    Thanks for bring context to the discussion. This is good info. It often seems we compare to the end of the last season not the beginning.
                    This. To all of this.

MSU also struggled running late in 2019. Against Albany the QBs had 90 yards on 7 carries, the rbs 114 on 35 carries. That game was very similar to San Diego, except San Diego had the luxury of knowing MSU didn’t want to pass as much due to the wind.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
                    toM StUber

Slackjaw
                    BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Slackjaw » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:06 am

TomCat88 wrote:
                    Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:16 am
                    Long Time Cat wrote:
                    Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:08 am
                    wbtfg wrote:
                    kennethnoisewater wrote:
                    This. To all of this.

MSU also struggled running late in 2019. Against Albany the QBs had 90 yards on 7 carries, the rbs 114 on 35 carries. That game was very similar to San Diego, except San Diego had the luxury of knowing MSU didn’t want to pass as much due to the wind.
                    To be clear, I'm not saying we are SOL on offense due to the struggles I perceive. I could be misguided and maybe the teams we've faced are better than I think. But, comparing our past rushing performances against Playoff or MVFC teams to these two PFL teams we just faced, is most likely not a 1 for 1. We should be able create better holes than we have.

Additionally, I like that we seem to have a more effective pass game, but lot of the pass game success has come against pretty big mismatches on the outside due to the level of competition. It just feels like some of our offensive success is fools gold at the moment.

The good news is we played two PFL teams and we beat both very easily. So, maybe I'm reading too much into the lack of push/holes.

If not this year?.........When?

BleedingBLue
                    Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:18 am

superbobcat wrote:
                    Good-

You must sit by me :lol:

AFCAT
                          Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:57 am

ilovethecats wrote:
                          Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:14 am
                          AFCAT wrote:
                          Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:13 am
                          superbobcat wrote:
                          Good-

:lol:
                                Actually, now that I think about it, we may have found where Bobcat99 went.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
                                Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
                                “In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter